[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 128 KB, 423x705, 1600215085317.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12333291 No.12333291 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci, I know some of you guys hate computer science cause it's "not real science" but that's beside the point.

I want make indie games with unique mechanics. Think games like Exanima or Noita, I don't want to make your avarage shooter game.

Should I major in computer science and do C++ coding in my spare time? Or should I just go and do coding/math fulltime at home?

Like basically I'm just a neckbeard who want to make weird games but I need some advice because I have limited time and no friends or contacts for advice. Is it worth going for a computer science degree if I mainly want to make entertainment software rather than do actual computer science?

Also I heard most specialized software development degrees and "game development" degrees are sort of useless fakes that don't actually teach you how to make truly unique games but rather just teach you shit like scripting in unreal/unity.

My end goal is to make weird physics based games. I know that the big boys on here might call me gay but nobody else can answer me straight, should I go do computer science for 4 years at a university or should I just learn as much math and coding as I can on my own/with a tutor.

>Money is no object

Would appreciate if you guys give me some advice, everyone I ask in person tells me to just go and learn Unreal which I'm pretty sure is not a worthwhile time investment since scripting is really limited.

>> No.12333342

You don’t need a CS degree for that, but there’s a lot to learn so you’ll need to find a curriculum and books. Also there’s more to games than programming (art, design, music, etc) so you’ll probably need friends to work with or money to contract people to make that stuff for you.