[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 600x400, alcoholism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12300657 No.12300657 [Reply] [Original]

Why do psychiatrists automatically assume people who want to kill themselves have "low serotonin"? Paradoxically why do so many people who are prescribed antidepressants (and have artificially high levels of serotonin) end up killing themselves?

>> No.12300664

if you have a certain symptom, the doctors will naturally assume you have the most common cause of that symptom. It's a reasonable thing to do if you think about it. Sometimes it will be wrong though.

>> No.12300674

I believe the leading explanation is that people who commit suicide rarely do it at the peak of their depression, when they are at that point they are TOO depressed to even kill themselves. If you think about it committing suicice does on some level require a decent bit of action and determiniation to carryout. Only once the effects of depression have lessened (possibly as the result of taking antidepressants) can they find the motivation to actually kill themselves.

>> No.12300712

>>12300657
psychiatrists are niggers

>> No.12300726

>>12300657
You're down because you are deep in debt and the economy sucks? There must be something wrong with the chemicals in your brain! Here's some drugs that cause your dick to stop working!

>> No.12301083

>>12300657
Literally none of them think that. SSRIs are the best of a shit situation, and everyone is aware of that

>> No.12301085

>>12300674
This. People over complicate the concept of depression. It’s a dopaminergic disorder. You literally can’t create the chemical cascade needed in your brain to carry out an action

>> No.12301109
File: 17 KB, 200x198, NPC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12300657
That's why I used St John's Wort when I was sad, because hyperforin/hyperricin inhibit the reuptake of at least 5 neurotransmitters associated with wellbeing:
>serotonin
>endorphins
>noradrenalin
>GABA
>glutamate

So obviously, having a broad-spectrum RI derived from a natural source is best (Perika is the best quality i found, standardized to 2% hyperforin). The timeline was also strictly bounded because the effects persist after 2 months. So I took full dose 2 months, 2/3 dose 1 month, 1/3 dose 1 month. I also ate a lot of fatty foods so my body could biosynthesize all the hormones with inhibited reuptake.

>>12301085
>You mean that talking about how you secretly want to fuck your mother is NOT the best way to overcome a spiralling metabolic deficit?
pic related

>> No.12301167

because serotonin is not even the neurotransmitter of happiness medicine is that fucking retard they cant even get that right