[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 59 KB, 640x717, 72867040-9BE5-44C5-BE4F-B28D2B8DC944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12146685 No.12146685 [Reply] [Original]

How legit of a disorder is ADHD?

>> No.12146709

>>12146685
Everything that may decrease a worker's productivity and therefore the profits that can be reaped from him is now considered a mental illness.

>You don't want to sit eight hours a day in school
ADHD + drugs
>You don't follow the pointless orders given to you by some "authority"
Defiant personality disorder
>You're sad or disillusioned because of an unhealthy environment or a traumatic event.
Depression + drugs
>You don't want to act "pro-socially" with your "mates" and are instead preoccupied with your own interests
Autism
>You are bad at taking standardized IQ tests
Mental retardation
>You believe that the government is not your friend
Schizoaffective disorder.

>> No.12146727

>>12146709
When cocaine addicts prefer ADHD medicine over cocaine. I am pretty sure it is just a refined version of cocaine. Lol.

>> No.12146729

>>12146709
>t. schizo

>> No.12146731

>>12146709
This.
It's become prevalent enough that I can count multiple examples that I've seen in person.

>> No.12146736

>>12146709
>>You are bad at taking standardized IQ tests
>Mental retardation
Kek

>> No.12146750

>>12146685
As legitimate as the other personality disorders.

>> No.12146752

>>12146685
ADHD is real, but the picture doesn't really sound like ADHD to me, more like procrastination and laziness.

>> No.12146753

>>12146685
>existential dread

that's low testosterone, imagine having this guy fighting by you on the front lines. i'd have to put a bullet in him myself. friendly fire style

>> No.12146780

>>12146685
The guy who promoted it heavily as legitimate in the '80s spent the last few years of his life going around decrying the fact that it's wildly over-diagnosed in the USA. I'm too lazy to find his obiturary on my hard drive.

Allen Frances, editor of DSM-IV, said this:
Drug companies were given the means, the motive, and the message to disease-monger ADHD and blow it up out of all proportion. They succeeded beyond all expectations in achieving a triumph of clever advertising over common sense.

>> No.12146801
File: 80 KB, 640x809, D5D64367-ADE9-4857-9FE9-56B8C94FC669.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12146780
To what extend is the problem that a for some people serious disorder has become the go to way to domesticate somewhat problematic and unruly young boys that normally would just grow out of it, leaving the people for who it is a serious problem standing in the rain because there is no real infrastructure for them?

>> No.12146818

>>12146801
Extremely.

>> No.12148206

>>12146752
As someone who got diagnosed with ADHD a couple years back, laziness and procrastination are essentially the external behaviors you get from having adhd. It's the outcome of having a 'short attention span' and getting bored easily. if being productive means keeping your focus on one task and doing the same thing over and over again for prolonged period of time, then ADHD becomes like the antithesis of productivity.

That said, studies of entrepreneurs show that those with ADHD do better than those without. If someone with ADHD has an intrinsic drive to do something, in this case to run their own business, they generally can focus and be quite productive. However if the motivation for the task is something extrinsic, like being a good employee / student, it can require an inordinate amount of willpower for someone with ADHD to behave like a normal person.

>> No.12148216

I have been diagnosed with ADHD by multiple different doctors at different points in my life. No question about it I have a pretty severe form of ADHD (as well as high functioning autism). As to what it is, well it's an umbrella term obviously, some believe it is linked to gut bacteria IIRC. Maybe all the processed food we eat nowadays. It's very real and detrimental for me but medicine helps. This is not in the US though so I trust the diagnoses I've been given.

>> No.12148217

>>12146729
>t. retarded /med/school underhuman

>> No.12148286

>>12146709
t. schitz

>> No.12148288

I had issues with focus my entire life, it prevented me from learning so many things. Being given ADHD meds at a late age has opened a fucking portal of possibilities in front of me, finally made me a functional human being capable of focused sustained thought.

And modafinil makes me a demigod

>> No.12148289

>>12146729
>>12148286
>t. malfunctioning /med/school underhuman

>> No.12148299

Psychological disorders don't exist.

>> No.12148363

>>12148299
serial killers?

>> No.12148383 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 472x441, Essential Vitamins and Minerals (notated; magnesium because of oxalate).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12146729
>>12148286
Not sure what's up with those other responses so much, but.. "what a stupid response". "Schizo" is not an excuse from better posts. "Every time you would get called out, you would have nothing", so "why are you even bringing it up?"

>>12146750
So, "not usually at all".

>>12146801
The "infrastructure" is understanding the self. It's not "normal" -- which is a huge-percentage majority, even if malnutritioned -- i.e., common, having some recent-science "uncurable disease" comparative to what's simply understood. Most individuals are OK, and within the means of "some dietary / physical training unto really fun, abundant, healthy quality of life".

Those sorts of memes are disgusting. Pyschology is a huge pit of gross behavior, especially from "professionals", and not even dieticians or other fitness entities are speaking out about how simple (but rare: maybe 1%) it is getting "full nutrition".

Metabolites: L-DOPA (for epinephrine and dopamine) and 5-HTP (melatonin and serotonin) are available OTC. "Powerful antioxidants are neurotransmitter protective."

The whole topic is summarized as, most-often-very-usually, "oh, my resources". .."Eat some food, dumbasses."..

>>12148216
>No question about it
"I don't believe you", and I apparently have better qualifications.

>some believe it is linked to gut bactera
..A case in point.

>This is not in the US though[,] so I trust the diagnoses I've been given.
"What about PhDs / similar has people trusting synthetics / pharmaceuticals over how much they're missing fundamentally, etc.? They're not educating individuals much more than is topically-common online.."

>>12148288
Stimulants are often beneficial for anybody..

>>12148363
Pavlovian oddities != argument against objective cellular propagation and simplicity of normative behavior.

>> No.12148385

>>12146685
The person from that image literally just described a lazy person with zero sense of personal responsibility. That pattern of behavior has nothing to do with ADHD

>> No.12148388 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 472x441, Essential Vitamins and Minerals (notated; magnesium because of oxalate).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12146729
>>12148286
Not sure what's up with those other responses so much, but.. "what a stupid response". "Schizo" is not an excuse from better posts. "Every time you would get called out, you would have nothing", so "why are you even bringing it up?"

>>12146750
So, "not usually at all".

>>12146801
The "infrastructure" is understanding the self. It's not "normal" -- which is a huge-percentage majority, even if malnutritioned -- i.e., common, having some recent-science "uncurable disease" comparative to what's simply understood. Most individuals are OK, and within the means of "some dietary / physical training unto really fun, abundant, healthy quality of life".

Those sorts of memes are disgusting. Pyschology is a huge pit of gross behavior, especially from "professionals", and not even dieticians or other fitness entities are speaking out about how simple (but rare: maybe 1%) it is getting "full nutrition".

Metabolites: L-DOPA (for epinephrine and dopamine) and 5-HTP (melatonin and serotonin) are available OTC. "Powerful antioxidants are neurotransmitter protective."

The whole topic is summarized as, most-often-very-usually, "oh, my resources". .."Eat some food, dumbasses."..

>>12148216
>No question about it
"I don't believe you", and I apparently have better qualifications.

>some believe it is linked to gut bactera
..A case in point.

>This is not in the US though[,] so I trust the diagnoses I've been given.
"What about PhDs / similar has people trusting synthetics / pharmaceuticals over how much they're missing fundamentally, etc.? Universities aren't educating individuals much more than is topically-common online.."

>>12148288
Stimulants are often beneficial for anybody..

>>12148363
Pavlovian oddities != argument against objective cellular propagation and simplicity of normative behavior.

>> No.12148407

>>12146685
>>12146752
>>12148385

>Clearly shows a will to be productive but cant follow through
>is therefore lazy and irresponsible

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I was in this exact situation a few years ago, I hated myself for not being able to be productive to the point of daily suicidal thoughts. I couldnt concentrate on anything for more than 2 minutes but I wanted to get good grades. A psychiatrist diagnosed me with severe GAD and depression and the happy pills fixed my problem almost instantly. Im off them now but I learnt other coping mechanisms since. Im sure this is a sutuation many people find themselves in and it isnt because theyre just lazy.

>> No.12148420

>>12148407
Beating yourself up for not being productive is completely different from having the will to be productive, but not being able to follow through because of (insert 'illness' here)

You can't have will if you don't have an aim. A 'will' without an aim (even something vague, like 'to be happy') is not really possible. What would this look like, other than madness?

The person in the OP clearly has no plan in life, and appears incapable of thinking more than one day ahead. THAT is their problem, and everything else, including laziness, procrastination, anxiety, etc. stems from this.

The problem is, thinking ahead and planning for your future is a learned behavior in some mammals, and some people simply never pick up the skill, or are never forced to until it's too late.

>> No.12148459

>>12148407
Your just lazy and have a weak will.

>> No.12148519

>>12146709
Correct, but fighting this is wrong as productivity and frictionless interaction among the people is important for an industrial society to function. If children grew up not learning, too depressed to start learning, bereft of social interaction, unable to do basic logic problems, and extremely skeptical of anyone trying to help them, then society would crumble in short order. I think we've actually been far too lenient on atypical persons. Too many retards are allowed full agency over their lives, and too many narcissists have been allowed to take seats of power. We would do good for the future of humanity by rebuilding the mental hospitals and forcibly keeping dysfunctional people in them until rehabbed.
In conclusion: Take your meds, schizo.

>> No.12148874

>>12148288
> t. retard
imagine needing synthetic stimulants so you can be a normal and functioning human being
just kys

>> No.12148890

>>12146709
Based and redpilled, name 1 (one) time someone has went to a psychiatrist and walked away without being diagnosed with something.

>> No.12148911

>>12146685
I have ADHD and it is definitely a real disorder. My father drinks a lot and my brother has low functioning autism. Those are both genetic risk factors, and my behavior is actually similar to autism in certain ways. The ADHD-Autism relation is very surprising and I encourage everyone to look up the statistics on siblings with autism/adhd. Basically, having a sibling with autism or adhd raises the risk of the other siblings having either of them. Very interesting, but ADHD is definitely a real disorder.
I can't get any of the working medications though, which sucks. That stupid "OH MY GOD ADDERALL IS LITERALLY SPEED THAT THEY SELL TO KIDS" mantra that's repeated by dumb housewives and joe rogan (who is the male equivalent of a dumb housewife trendsetter like oprah) has destroyed any doctor's willingness to prescribe the working drugs. Instead they give you a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and whine at you when you tell them it's not working.
So basically I spend all day doing nothing. I could be productive if I had access to cheap dextroamphetamine, but I don't so I'm not.

>> No.12148914

>>12146709
You've clearly never met somebody who legitimately has those conditions. Stop basing your medical views off of dumb roasties who fake conditions for pity.

>> No.12148919

>>12148874
Imagine not knowing what phenethylamine is or why stimulants that mimic it are capable of treating ADHD. Seems like you're the real retard here.

>> No.12148924

>>12148890
why would somebody go to a psychiatrist if they didn't already have a problem?
Also, you do realize that SSRIs are actually placebos? When a psychiatrist gives you an SSRI they are basically saying "you're not actually ill, so I'm going to give you a cheap placebo to hopefully trick you into not having whatever crap you've imagined"

>> No.12149313

>>12146709
Unironically this.

There are people that legit crazy and need to be medicated so they don't hurt others. I also know some folks that abused hard drugs (meth, coke, and downers) for years and their brains are so fucked up they can't grasp basic math concepts.

I personally think that most people's brains are just screwed from some reason or another and have a hard time coping with how meaningless life is. Since at the end of day, you have to create your own meaning, and some folks can't contend with that.

>> No.12149530

>>12148206
my brother is adhd. thank you for this anon.

>> No.12149545

>>12148206
What you describe sounds like normal behaviour, anon.

>> No.12149872

>>12148924
Yeah a drug that alters the levels of one or multiple neurotransmitters and causes structural changes in the brain sure is a placebo
Are you this fucking retarded, anyone who've ever taken SSRIs knows how real their effects and side effects are and how different each one make you feel, hell you can already feel different 30 mins after your first dose of the drug and if you're bipolar they can cause mania. It's efficacy is compared to that of a placebo only in moderate depression because the side effects outweigh the benefits, but for severe depression it's literally a life saver

>> No.12149903

>>12148206
>>12148407
this has been my experience undiagnosed. It often feels like my body refusing when I try to force myself to work on things that I don't "want" to work on. It's incredibly frustrating sometimes, it's like my brain locks me out of whatever I'm trying to do. Should I talk to a professional about this?

>> No.12149945

>>12146709
>>You are bad at taking standardized IQ tests
>Mental retardation
this one's true

>> No.12149949

>>12146685
ADHD is a superpower that can be used for either good or evil.

>> No.12149996

>>12148890
I went to one and they said I'm fucking normal and that's how most people feel lol
She was jewish too! I was prepared to be put on all the meds.

>> No.12150011

What do I have to say to a doctor to score some amphetamines?

>> No.12150014

>>12146729
>t. conditioned response robot of the system

>> No.12150222

>>12146685
ADHD as is as legit as disorders come.
It`s of course another matter entirely that it probaly is a) over diagnosed and b) used as an excuse by people who are just lazy as fuck

>> No.12150244

>>12146685
Do i talk to a doctor?
Who do I discuss this with?
I have been researching and undecided for 5 years or so.
I match the supposed behaviour, but for some reason I'm not convinced

>> No.12150247

>>12150244
unless you want medication or counseling, there's no use for a doctor. If you want that, then obviously talk to a doctor

>> No.12150268

>>12150247
I study mathematics and I do well, but it took me along time to develop focusing tactics to do that.
I nearly failed highschool due to completely inability to focus. My parent never believed that there was anything wrong with me, so when I brought it up, they were always dismissive.

I kind of want to know what happens if I can focus normally. I am either 100% all in focused or I'm completely Distracted and forget what I'm doing.
I'm not sure it's adhd is the problem.

>> No.12151260

>>12148459
>Intuition I made up on the spot and then instantly believed
I miss old science where you could pull stuff out of your ass and then if it sounded good enough, everyone would take it as fact

>> No.12151315

>>12150268
I'm in a similar situation as you are, but I've a concurrent condition, Autism; plus addiction to the internet.
Would you mind sharing some of your focusing tactics?
I'm having trouble as well. Recently I've tried chewing coffee dust instead of drinking it, but I'm left with mixed results because of it.

>> No.12151805

>>12151315
Controlling my breathing helps, through my nose.
Slow relaxing music with noise cancelling ear buds to stop distractions.
Use a laptop with a small screen and a command line so I don't have too much to be distracted by.
I do all my uni study at the libary not at home.
Drinking coffee really slowly as opposed to chugging it, helps with focus. I will drink the same ice coffee over 4-5 hours, taking a sip when it stops working.
Making sure I eat decent food and 3 meals a day.
Exercise.
Lots of sleeping.

>> No.12151809

>>12151805
Oh and sometimes on bad days playing with a ball in one if my hands helps me stay focused on thinking

>> No.12151837

>>12146709
Its saddening that your post should be so obvious it shouldn't need be said, yet people are denying it.

>> No.12152307

>>12146685
sounds like he's just a lazy faggot

>> No.12152374

>>12146685
Why wouldn't dopamine deficiency be "legit"?

>> No.12152510

>>12146709
You're a schizo if you believe the government IS your friend, retard.

>> No.12152513

>>12146727
You must be at least 18 to post here.

>> No.12152526

>>12152307
Laziness isn’t a real thing IMO. No one does things they don’t want to do, it’s just some people are privileged/NPCs and thus what they want to do overlaps with what is considered productive by society.

Also you have to be a huge retard to have anything but an angry/negative attitude toward work.

>> No.12152595

>>12152374
It is. Low dopamine destroys your whole reward system and makes you addicted to instant gratification. Thats why ADHDers play video games instead of doing things that reward you in the future. But most retards in this thread don't even know that dopamine exists.

>> No.12152816

Guys I'm concerned that I have adhd the more I see these posts about what people with adhd do. I'm just laying on my couch shitposting and have been for 2 hours. Eventually I'll get up and try to do something productive but end up playing video games after avoiding actually doing the thing. I can't stop myself. Any work that's even slightly tedious I get extremely frustrated to the point of anger and start motherfucking how stupid it is, like trying to learn programming or tediously pulling staples out of a subfloor. If I fail something that needs to be repeated due to failure I get extremely pissed as well - such as fucking up a seal in a car and having to do it over again.

I can't tell if I have a problem or I'm just lazy, but why am I lazy? I'm always tired even after 10 hours of sleep. I don't get it. Caffeine just makes me jittery and tired. Working out I never get the aggression I had before, just go through the motions and it's very tiring to even workout in the first place.

>> No.12153136

>>12152816
That sounds like laziness.
For me it's that when I am actually doing work I will be completely distracted and forget what I was doing.
Or I will be playing with my pen or something stupid and forget.
Or staring into empty space contemplating something unrelated.

It's like there's something drawing you away all the time.
But there's occasions where you can hyper focus on something you like.

>> No.12153180

>>12153136
How is laziness different from adhd? Sounds like it's the same thing

>> No.12153231

>>12153180
Because you're just getting angry for having to do something.
I literally cannot focus on a task some days without coping techniques. I will be reading for example and I can read the words fine, but my brain thinks about something completely different and I won't actually absorb the text even though I'm reading the words.

I actually sit down to do work so I'm not lazy but sometimes I am completely unable to keep the same train of thought for more than 5mins without my brain thinking about other shit.
It's not that I'm sitting around a playing Vidya to avoid doing anything, it's more that even when I go to do something I cannot focus.

It isn't consistently like this and if I can get over 20-30min threshold I can usually focus. But if something distracts me I have to try and refocus for 20-30s again.

>> No.12153247

>>12148288

How do you go about getting prescribed ADHD meds?

>> No.12153267

>>12153247
No op.
But it's hard when you're older, especially if you're a stereotype scatter brain.

>> No.12153279

>>12153267

I'm not too fucked up but I imagine the best way is to describe your condition in a way that your therapist/psychologist whatever suggests them to you without me needing to straight up ask and get denied.

>> No.12153286

>>12153279
My biggest problem is that I still achieve without medication, but I know my knowledge is much higher than my test or exam scores show

>> No.12153358

>>12153231
I don't get hoe that's any different. It's not like I'm not attempting to do the tasks. I just get so bored I get fed up with having to do them because I am forced into them. Anything I want to do that requires any effort I can start, sometimes, for maybe 10-15 minutes and then just do something else. Sounds pretty much the same.

>> No.12153375
File: 2.11 MB, 2448x3264, IMG_0075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Huh?

>> No.12153537

>>12153358
I'm not, not doing because I'm bored. That's what you're not getting.

>> No.12153562

>>12146685
This sounds more like laziness with the by product of anxiety.

>> No.12154347

>>12146709
if you've never met a bonafide autistic person, I envy you

>> No.12154378

>>12148407
>Clearly shows a will to be productive but cant follow through
Doing nothing for five hours is laziness. Planning to do something and then getting distracted by something else is ADHD.

>> No.12154390

>>12148206
>As someone who got diagnosed with ADHD a couple years back, laziness and procrastination are essentially the external behaviors you get from having adhd.
Eh...maybe? I procrastinate, and I'm lazy, but I'm quite capable of focusing when I'm in the mood. I'm not saying it's the same situation for everyone, but it's certainly possible to have the ability to focus and choose not to, compared to really having the attention span of a goldfish. I've known people who claim to have ADHD but can focus on video games for hours. Obviously they have some ability to focus when they want to, so I think their issue lies elsewhere.

>> No.12154396

>>12149996
To be fair if /pol/ even slightly adjusted your opinion of Jewish people or made you think you know anything about them, you have an IQ under 90 for sure, which manifests as various impairments.

>> No.12154402

>>12154378
No it’s not. Laziness isn’t even a real thing.

>> No.12154430

>>12154402
There's a big difference between being someone who is lazy and unproductive compared to someone who is productive and hard working but has trouble staying on task. Those seem like two very different conditions. If you want to categorize them under the same label, then fine, but it would seem like the underlying cause and treatment would differ.

>> No.12154443

>>12154430
Being productive and hard working but unable to stay on task over time means you will stop trying to begin with because you know you won’t be able to focus. Also knowing you’re competing against literal NPCs who can enthusiastically spend all day doing the same boring unfulfilling garbage is strongly demotivating. Laziness is irrelevant, especially when you have to be a retard to care about goals in a world like this one.

>> No.12154448

>>12154443
So high-achievers who are hyperactive workers but disorganized and diagnosed as having ADHD don't actually have ADHD?

>> No.12154454

>>12154448
Maybe they do, but in that case the differential diagnoses (which you called ‘laziness’) are orders of magnitude worse to deal with than ADHD.

>> No.12154474

>>12154454
Maybe there's an underlying cause to "laziness" that deserves a true diagnosis, I don't know, I'm just saying that if ADHD is lumping all these different people together, then the condition may need refinement to separate what would seem to be very different causes. Poor executive function in itself doesn't seem to be a factor in finding the motivation to do stuff. Some of those people are very motivated, they just end up motivated to do too many different things at times (hyperactivity/impulsivity). I wouldn't lump them with people who have trouble making a decision to do anything and instead do nothing. That would seem to lack the hyperactivity portion of the diagnosis.

>> No.12155062
File: 13 KB, 229x220, 1519439359597.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12152816
diagnosis: COOMER

>> No.12155112

>>12148914
ok retard
>t. diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic
I don't take my meds :^)

>> No.12155142

>>12146729
kek

>> No.12155354

>>12148911
It is literally speed.

>> No.12155614

>>12148919
>completely misses the point
No, you are the retard.

>> No.12155730

people who say ADHD isn't real obviously have never had to deal with it
I am literally non-functional without medication

>> No.12155871

>>12155730

Who do I go and see to get medication? I cant take this shit anymore and I'm 25.

>> No.12156423

>>12155730
>>12155871
How does ADHD affect you unmedicated?
I'm thinking about seeing a shrink for it, but am still unsure if it really fits my problems?

>> No.12156462

>>12146729
>t. room temperature IQ

>> No.12156541

>>12156423
An extreme sense of overbearing anxiety. I can only really do basal state activities that require the minimum of energy and concentration. Low-effort-high-reward activities take precedence.
When I try and focus, I very rapidly switch between any number of things that require any level of focus, and the end result is nothing gets done.
I won't even notice switching between different things. It's as if my entire life is stream of consciousness, not just my mind.
It's very difficult to describe the mental/emotional anguish that comes with it. It's a mixture of anxiety, extreme frustration, and burnout. It's like you yourself are riding shotgun in a car that's about to hurtle off a cliff but you-your-executive-functionality is too busy fucking around with the radio and windows to do anything about it and nothing you say or do will make it knock it off.

>> No.12156560

>>12156541
>you-your-executive-functionality
is the driver by the way, if that wasn't clear.

Unmedicated, the ADHD renders me practically agoraphobic. It makes my anxiety so bad that I'm terrified to leave the house. Not of any specific thing that could happen. It's just Leaving the House is Bad so You Can't Do It.

It also contributes to a very peculiar form of self defeating OCD and it just makes my life a nightmare.
I've been off my adderall for about a week because I have to drive 10 miles to the pharmacy to get it. Driving 10 miles to the pharmacy is too much effort for the ADHD. So I don't get my meds. So I don't get the motivation to get my meds. So my anxiety spikes. So I'm afraid to leave the house to get my meds. So I don't get the motivation to get my meds...

my grades have tanked and I know I need to get the medication or it will incorrigibly, detrimentally affect my future but Leaving the House is Bad

>> No.12157004

>>12150268
It's common for ADHD to have areas of hyper focus. People with ADHD can be very driven, if something does manage to hold their interest.

>> No.12157123

ADHD fag here. I have it really bad but refuse to take my meds. I find more money in selling it

>> No.12157887

>>12148911
Caffeine, my lad. You gotta crunch up and snort 2 tabs fine powder nodoz with a straw. You won't have any problems with adhd again after that, trust me!

>> No.12157979

>>12157123
No one believes you
No one really cares anyways

>> No.12158942
File: 1.23 MB, 500x281, mfw.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12146685
>How legit of a disorder is ADHD?
It used to be a legal 'umbrella' definition for having a minor brain damage.
But since then sociologists have destroyed it by pushing for people with criminal records be labeled as having a physical disorder because sociologists felt sorry for them.

I was one of the first in my country to be diagnosed with ADHD, electroencephalography was used as a method to diagnose the condition back then and it was first called MBD.

i chose to refuse special treatment like educational help, subsidies and disability benefits even though all the people i know who have been diagnosed have jumped on that, i dont believe they even have ADHD.

I almost failed at colelge and university, slow learner and no extra help, took me ages. Now i'm unemployed.
Aside from adhd i was also diagnosed with childhood epilepsy and some other minor diagnoses.
The "sympathetic" female teachers felt the need to notify every class i took in elementary and high school about my invisible condition so that was fun..

unemployed adult, no benefits, never done anything criminal and people are misdiagnosed as an excuse for their violence.

>> No.12158961

>>12146685
I have it and it's fucked
yes it's fucking real
it's like blacking out and losing 5 hours for no fucking reason it fucking sucks

>> No.12158984

ADHD != short attention span
ADHD is a poor name for a mental disorder that effects a persons ability to regulate their attention. A person with ADHD can find themselves bouncing around things unable to concentrate on one single thing or end up hyperfocusing on one single thing unable to shift their focus away from it for an extended period of time.

Source: I have ADHD

I never considered that I had ADHD until I actually researched it, because while I had always found concentrating on shit I wasn’t interested in nearly impossible, if something did catch my interest, it was the only thing I could focus on (which would cause me to procrastinate or just completely forgetting to do other shit). However, things usually only ever interested me for a week or two before I would end up moving on to some other thing. I finally brought all this up with a psych when I was 22, and they told me I definitely have ADHD. Vyvanse/Adderall doesn’t give me super focus like the experiences I gathered from friends during finals week, but it does allow me to focus on boring shit and shift my focus back and forth with other things.

>> No.12158997

>>12146685
It's definitely legit, and it should be more aptly described as an executive dysfunction disorder, exacerbated by the incentive structures inherent to modernity.

>> No.12159126

>>12157123
Same, but I just buy the drugs and never use them because they turn me into a robot and a huge asshole. They only prescribe methylphenidate (Concerta) where I live though and I don't know of anyone who would want to buy it.

>> No.12159131

>>12158984
>Source: I have ADHD
no, you don't, just like 90% of people who think they do

>> No.12159132

>>12146709
>>You believe that the government is not your friend
>Schizoaffective disorder.
kek. They got a disorder for everything dont they

>> No.12159148
File: 3.11 MB, 320x240, EEDA5952-2ED0-4C9D-A53E-A5F167E374D2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12159131
Damn, those medical professionals must’ve been lying to me. Thanks anon.

>> No.12159153

>>12159148
yes, it's the most overdiagnosed disorder because there is no accurate way to diagnose it so they just ask you a few questions and give you diagnosis based on that

>> No.12159165

There's genes linked to ADHD behaviors, but it was a huge fad in the mid-late 2000s, where they diagnosed every kid with it.

I bet there are people that can't sit still or learn any discipline and need to be tweaked on adderall 24/7, but it's probably far fewer than all the mainly fraudulent diagnoses.

>> No.12159175
File: 82 KB, 640x460, D8B793DA-C6B6-4C29-B4FE-5CC9C286A1B1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12159153
Maybe if you’re the child of a shitty parent pressuring the doctor into diagnosing you with it so they don’t have to do their job.

As an adult, at least from my experience, it wasn’t just a few questions. The first two psychs wouldn’t even suggest it might be adhd and made me try multiple anti-depressesnts when I described my concentration issues (when I explicitly said I had no other symptoms of depression, was exercising, and mostly ate a decent diet). Eventually I was sent to a ADHD specialist, and only after like 3 sessions did they say I had ADHD. I had to even go through a non-amphetamine medication (focalin I think is what is was called) before they put me on vyvanse.

But, I’m sure you’re right anon, I probably don’t have it and the doctors are wrong.

>> No.12159203

>>12159175
I'm going through that process right now. Had the second visit to the psychologist this week and will need at least one more visits till I get my diagnosis. Then another visit with a chief physician to see what treatment options there are.

>> No.12159677

>>12146709
Preachhhhhhhhh!!

>> No.12159688

>>12146685
This is autism. Not ADHD wife has ADD and I'm autistic. Though people can have both at the same time

>> No.12159698

>>12149545
You probably have it then haha
>follows orders without questioning them
>likes fitting in and doesn't have any social anxiety
>is normie

>> No.12159701

>>12149903
It would help with your coping mechanisms

>> No.12159746

>>12151809
Sounds like you're autistic. People with ADHD aren't usually that self aware. All my friends are ADHD and so is my wife. They like doing things with other people as long as it's exciting. And they never run out of battery. I like being alone with my ASD

>> No.12160021

>>12159126
Concerta was shit. Vyvanse is obviously god tier.

>> No.12160284

>>12154390
>I've known people who claim to have ADHD but can focus on video games for hours. Obviously they have some ability to focus when they want to, so I think their issue lies elsewhere.
Modern games literally take direction from Skinner Boxes. It's really easy to play a game if little awards pop up every 30 seconds. There's also the ADHD symptom of hyperfixating on a specific topic.

>> No.12160311

>>12160021
How was Concerta different from Vyvanse for you?

>> No.12160425

>>12160311
Concerta made me fucking pissed

>> No.12160500

>>12160425
Damn, it does the same to me :/
Are you saying Vyvanse doesn't make you pissed? They don't prescribe amphetamines in my country and it makes me so frustrated.

>> No.12161629

>>12146729
>ftppppthttpphhhtphhthpth

>> No.12162002

>>12158942
Sounds like you should've taken the help.

>> No.12162971

Psychiatry really is bullshit in like 9 out of 10 cases and in things like depression there is really jackshit in terms of treatment because in most cases the patient is depressed due to a shitty situation as opposed to anything fixable from a medicine perspective. Shit, I think the most effective shit to come out recently is Sage Therapeutics' Brexannolone or whatever the fuck it is for post partum depression. Even then it seems like a clusterfuck treatment
>3 days of hospitalization with continuous injection in which you will be passing in and out of consciousness.

>> No.12163070

>>12146709
>Intelligent
>Nurturing
>Conscientious
>Emphatic
>Loving
socially ostracized
>Careless
>Hurried
>Arrogant
>Destructive
praised and adorned by society

>> No.12163075

>>12146729
>t. amateur

>> No.12163826

>>12160284
Could modern games possibly be responsible for ADHD?

>> No.12163866

>>12148911
lmao, no speed for you, faking lazy retarded junkie

>> No.12164389

>>12160284
>It's really easy to play a game if little awards pop up every 30 seconds.
I wonder why certain people are more drawn to these rewards than others.

>> No.12165735

>>12148919
Explain

>> No.12165747

>>12148911
I faked ADHD symptoms and walked out with a script for 30mg Adderall XRs. Hahahahahah sucks to be you. Better start paying attention faggot

>> No.12165775
File: 40 KB, 644x451, internet-tough-guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12146753

>> No.12165781
File: 22 KB, 320x180, 1600464297575.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can't believe nobody's posted this

>> No.12165784

>>12148299
t scientologist

>> No.12166024

Adhd is an underdevelepment of the the prefrontal cortex.
That is why people who don't have adhd who take the medication get the negative side effects moresp that those with adhd.
Adhd you will get the negative side effects but overall they improve your quality of life so they are worth taking.

Kids get overprescribed and many parents belive adderall is the ony way for their kid to stay ahead.
Tbh it is hard to determine for a number of years is some kids, especially those without any of the hyperactive symptoms.

>> No.12166596

>>12146685
pretty legit. I went to one of those bullshit adhd clinics which are just upper class pill pushers where they just hand you an adhd prescription and as strong as a dose you want without asking too many questions. It pretty much inverted my personality and work ethic. I think I'll have to take significant breaks from it to not suffer anything that might be detrimental in the long term but I can finally get shit done that i've been dreading for years. I was on the brink of just an heroing because of how unable to self motivate myself i was. the effectiveness of the drugs absolutely depends on how well youre taking care of yourself too. If you're not getting thorough and deep sleep as well as eating healthy you'll not get the performance boost in anyway.

>> No.12166630

>>12148911
Yeah it's Joe Rogan's fault you do nothing all day every day.

>> No.12167685

>>12160500
You can try nicotine

>> No.12167956
File: 192 KB, 1280x1273, 1595125856413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you think you have ADHD, go somewhere and be honest about them with wanting to get tested. They'll either do psychiatric evaluations discussing your history and how symptoms may or may not have impacted your upbringing/social life/education. Loss of focus in certain areas is a big one, but there's other factors too. Mine specifically was being unable to pay attention in math classes and my brain legit felt like it was going to spaghetti (except for physics and geometry). Sometimes they'll just do talking sessions or they'll do testing like the TOVA test, sometimes a combo of both. Just be honest and open.
I went to a psych once though and they said I have bipolar disorder, not ADHD. I'd never been suggested as having that before so I went to a different psych for a second opinion and they agreed that doctor was just trying to push mood stabilizers on me.
Therapy can also help ADHD, not just medications, but a combination of both is very effective.

>> No.12168040

>>12167956
Yeah, I got a Psych evaluation recently, to see why I lack of focus sometimes. Which turned out to not be ADD or ADHD but was caused by persistent depressive disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder, basically clouding up my brain

>> No.12168081

Bros I've assburgers, I wish they'd give a official diagnosis certificate to help me get benefits

>> No.12168156

>>12146709
Communism is also a mental disorder.

>> No.12168175

People interested in school universally believing laziness exists is informal proof that no one interested in school is actually intelligent. It’s not a surprise that sheeple who willingly sit in classrooms and desire any of the outcomes from doing so have zero logical reasoning capabilities.

>> No.12168266

>>12160500
wait a minute, it's the same thing in my country too and i got prescribed Axepta which made me really grumpy and stuff but the silence was nice

>> No.12168269

>>12165781
that's because this is not /pol/

>> No.12168294

>>12165781
You know what else was pioneered by the kikes? Nukes. But you are happy to steal that and use it.

>> No.12168299

>>12164389
It’s because they learned early in life that participation in society leads to no reward or unacceptable rewards. People who can’t focus are generally unlucky victims of abuse or random life ruining events. Anything that makes the world sound like a place where merit determines success or happiness is a lie. A strong piece of evidence for this, which should be palatable even for idiots, is that good looking people always have very easy and privileged lives even when their intelligence and personality are in the gutter. You can also measure the respectability of a job with this method: if good looking men are over-represented in it, then it’s a parasite fake job and the people doing it should lose it all.

>> No.12168302 [DELETED] 

>>308465896
Yeah okay. So just those 4?

>> No.12168591

>>12148924
some room temperature iq take right here in all clinical studies SSRIs were proved to be significantly more affective than placebos and they alter brain chemicals responsible for happiness and I can tell you from experience that SSRIs work like magic sometimes
t. was depressed at suicidal at 16 was put on several different SSRIs until a combination of trintellix and wellbutrin made me feel alive again and I tappered off of it successfully 9 months later

>> No.12169322

>>12148911
It IS literally speed and there's nothing wrong with that. Speed is fucking great for adhd. Off addy I take 0 washing machines apart, on addy I disassemble those fuckers faster than you can count

>> No.12169438

I was put on high doses of Adderall and Ritalin as a child for "ADHD" (didn't have ADHD, just didn't want to sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day) and it permanently stunted my growth, was also put on all types of SSRIs and antipsychotics for "depression" (wasn't depressed, my life just sucked) and I ended up turning into a homicidal maniac for a while, while on other ones I would sleep 12 hours a day and stare at the wall completely zoned out. I've been relatively fine since then but had a nervous episode last year, was hospitalized and the Jew (shocking right) doctor there was like "yeah yeah just take these meds and you'll be fine", I was antsy bugged tf out on them, couldn't get an erection for weeks, tired all the time, excessive saliva drooling out my mouth, suicidal which I wasn't before, etc. stopped taking them and felt much better than before the hospitalization. I also called the doctor to tell him what the pills did and he straight up said I was lying and they don't cause those things lol, despite it listing all those potential side effects on the paperwork.

tl;dr anyone who says psychiatry isn't witchcraft is a brainlet or getting big pharma checks.

>> No.12170153

>>12165781
That's from a German news article published 2007 or so in Der Spiegel. The guy was talking about the hype surrounding ADHD and how often it is overdiagnosed.

>t. 9000 hours in MS Paint

>> No.12170378

>>12169438
I like this pasta.

>> No.12171696

>>12146709
t. retarded autistic schizo

>> No.12172152

>>12149945
Not really. Most IQ Tests like the ravens test are just pattern recognition. The only thing its scoring you in is your ability to recognize patterns and test taking ability. IQ is a shitty concept its hardly a measure of someone's potential as a human being as most /sci/tards make it out to be.

t. retard

>> No.12172374 [DELETED] 

>>12158984
>ADHD is a poor name for a mental disorder that effects a persons ability to regulate their attention. A person with ADHD can find themselves bouncing around things unable to concentrate on one single thing or end up hyperfocusing on one single thing unable to shift their focus away from it for an extended period of time.
isn't that just a evolutionary disadvantage. could probably break the poor kid's jawbone and take his chain while he's bouncing around things unable to concentrate

>> No.12173192

>>12146727
adhd medication is literally just speed, anon

>> No.12173199

>>12173192
speed = amphet = meth
so what your saying comes down to meth vs coke.

>> No.12173203

>>12146685
It's real, and most cases are diet related

>> No.12173502

>>12153231
what are some coping techniques, you sound like me to a T.

>> No.12173519

>>12173203
what do you mean?

>> No.12173523

>>12163826
I could totally see them making everything else seem more boring

>> No.12173899

Barely graduated high school. I've been sitting around doing nothing leeching off my mom since high school. I also cant fall asleep at night because my mind doesn't shut up. I had a job where I would often get angry and hostile with customers, lashed out at a manager I didn't like and quit on the spot. I also have anxiety and depression. Socializing is difficult and I would always get into fights with kids growing up. Broke friendships easily. As an adult I just get angry deep down. Binge eating. Also existential pain because I waste time. Always thought I was just a lazy asshole, but I got diagnosed a month ago after fucking up first semester in college because I couldnt sit still during my zoom lectures and would hand in online assignments just before midnight when they were due. Figured something might be off. They recommend meds

>> No.12173932

>>12173899
online "university" is fucking unbearable in general, all the busywork plus added bullshit without any of the benefits

>> No.12173935

>>12154378
Literally so wrong. Almost everybody gets distracted. Unable to focus for more than five minutes, though? Probably ADHD

>> No.12174012

>>12167956
>>12168040
>Wasting thousands of dollars instead of reading a bible or picking a fucking philosophy
My mom took me to a psych guy, his theories were crap and i already knew the solution by simple logic, tame your body

>> No.12174032

>>12174012
The bible isn't going to change a brain disability. This is especially clear in your case

>> No.12174415

>>12173519
Zinc, iron, and/or omega-3 deficiencies, among other things. After I changed my diet I was finally able to concentrate and get things done. Eat more protein and fermented foods, along with veggies and beans. And stay away from processed garbage

>> No.12174700

>>12146709
Based, there must be a reason everyone is getting diagnosed with some """"""mental disorder"""""" these days

>> No.12174747

>>12169322
i laughed

>> No.12174753

>>12146685
I was about to say sounds like being a modern woman but it is a man lol

>> No.12175794

Getting diagnosed was alarmingly easy. At 18, I made an appointment with a new PCP, told him I have trouble getting motivated enough to do stuff, walked out with a diagnosis and prescription. I'm sure I just as easily could have gotten an antidepressant prescription if I'd thought that was my problem.

After a while I realized my problem was my living situation and lack of any real responsibilities or accountability, so I decided to stop taking the Adderall. Taking it every day was changing my personality in ways I didn't realize until after I stopped.

Having access to a a drug as useful as amphetamine is nice, but controlling my issues without giving myself a chemical dependency is way nicer.

>> No.12175932

>>12172152
>IQ ever meant as a measure of potential as a human
You really are a retard.

>> No.12175955

>>12146709
NOOO STOP YOU'RE INVALIDATING ME I HAVE REAL ISSUES YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THIS IS ABUSE

>> No.12176125
File: 59 KB, 360x360, 1600256269660.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12148206
I behave EXACTLY as you described so I hardly doubt this is the case just for the ADHD. People aren't meant to sit for long periods of times anyways, no need to go looking for a mental disorder. Studying in short bursts helps a lot.

>> No.12177095

>>12162971
>in things like depression there is really jackshit in terms of treatment because in most cases the patient is depressed due to a shitty situation as opposed to anything fixable from a medicine perspective.
A therapist I stumbled upon on /lit/ actually told one effective treatment is just getting the patient away from the shitty living conditions they have.

>> No.12177185

Anyone here can recommend some good resources for someone who thinks he might have ADHD but isn't sure if he really fits into the criteria?

>> No.12177297

Anon with diagnosed severe ADD
A lot of people think ADD/ADHD is just being lazy, it isn’t. The brain if an ADD person is always making random connections randomly. What this means is it can either lead to no focus or hyper focus depending on the situation. For example ADD is why I can suddenly write for hours but other things feel impossible to focus on.
The WORST thing about having adhd is that it makes relationships almost impossible. Women want attention and if you have ADHD you won’t be giving them the constant attention they desire. Not just me but people with ADHD often have easier times getting into relationships but far harder times staying in them.

>> No.12177301

>>12177297
Also one thing about ADHD that you will find is that you are always thinking and apparently getting lost in your thoughts constantly isn’t normal.

>> No.12177348

>>12146685
not at all, people who can't function in society and get sectioned or fucked into dead end jobs and fired on a regular basis are just messing around haha

>> No.12177374

>>12146709
Not sure how much of this is trolling but diagnosing mental retardation is one of the best uses of an IQ test.

>> No.12177955

>>12177297
>>12177301
aren't you just retarded, bro?
> The brain if an ADD person is always making random connections randomly.
yeah, mental retardation and COPE are your true conditions
>t. medfag

>> No.12178103

>>12168156
Rent free

>> No.12178455

>>12177955
Why are you butthurt?

>> No.12178489

>>12146685
I have adult ADD, I don't take medication. I have to use extra discipline and be in top of my game 100% of the time, if I let anything slip my whole routine falls apart. I don't maintain it very well, so I'm very productive at work but I live in a pig sty and don't take care of myself very well.

>> No.12178693

>>12146709
there are disorders or deviations from the norm, i dont really agree with the meds tho

>> No.12178707

>>12165747
same. I got ritalin earlier but it would keep me up at night.
i just didn't enjoy the comedown after the addy wore off after a few hours. got real depressing

>> No.12178713

>>12148206
>>12148420
>>12148459
>>12149903
i mean it comes down to being a combination of will and adhd. its a chicken or the egg between : will and the (likely learned) ability to self-assess and mend your shortcomings and change approaches, mental problem and the impairment of self-assessment due to them.
at the end of the day, u can mend ur adhd. but its also not that rare for someone to be stuck in a retarded self destructive cycle. esp if ur not that smart

>> No.12178728

>>12178713
Will isn’t real. Privileged people learn that working leads to rewards, unprivileged people learn that no matter what they do it will never lead to a reward. It’s the opposite of what you said: the dumber you are the easier it is to be motivated since the trash options in this world only appeal to trash minds.

>> No.12178750

>>12178489
>I have adult ADD, I don't take medication. I have to use extra discipline and be in top of my game 100% of the time, if I let anything slip my whole routine falls apart. I don't maintain it very well, so I'm very productive at work but I live in a pig sty and don't take care of myself very well.

So you're a compeltely normal human being. #Mee too.

>> No.12178754

>>12178728
ok sasuke

>> No.12178918

>>12146685
Not really. I was diagnosed with it when I was 13, so I just gotta work harder. People who brag about getting distracted for 5 hours have more of a time management / just being an idiot problem. Micro dosing meth for it is dumb and shouldn't have become a thing in the first place.