[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 256x300, cognitive_science-256x300.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12145054 No.12145054 [Reply] [Original]

Computer science guy here. Is cognitive science worth getting into? From what I understand, it's basically computer science applied to the brain.

>> No.12145056

It's buzzwords

>> No.12145057

>>12145054
yes it's worth getting into but it's not quite cs applied to brain but it can be approached that way. cognitive science is the science of cognition and the brain is a kind of computer.

>> No.12145082

>>12145054
you are everything that is wrong with this world.

>> No.12146016

>>12145082
wat

>> No.12146035

>>12145054
No it’s not exactly that. It’s ideas about computation and experiments having to do with formal problems in CS intersecting with biochemistry and neuroscience, with the end goal of understanding behavior and cognition in a rigorous way.
For example, there’s a lot of study on Bayesian theory and how we understand human visual cognition, decisions in the presence of extraneous noise, etc etc. it’s heavily based on experiments, simulacra, and statistics applied to cognition. It’s a very interdisciplinary field, but don’t let the buzzwords deter you from the actual interesting problems in the field
t. did undergrad research in cogsci, now in physics though

>> No.12146621

>>12146035
What sort of stuff did you work on? Is there any money there?

>> No.12146648

>>12146035
>what sort of stuff did you work on
visual cognition. I'll leave it there.
>is there any money there
are you looking to make a profit or interested in the subject? It's more than decently funded, but unless you care about research there are no big bucks in the field inherently. Sure, you could come up with new research or technology that is monetarily lucrative, but that goes for any scientific research.

If you want easy money, focus on software engineering, which is internships + basic CS. If you want to max out on cash at the risk of mental health, do ML up to at least a thesis based masters and get into good conferences.

>> No.12146806

Theres a lot of cool stuff to do with cognitive science.

Im interested in studying the process behind the brain's processing of live and dead (conceptual) metaphors and how a cognitive model could work in the AI field to help recognize metaphores in NLP systems.

>> No.12146918

>>12145054
>From what I understand, it's basically computer science applied to the brain.
It's a lot more, there are many possibilities if you want to get into research later on. However, if you want to get a job in the private sector with a cognitive science degree, you're much better off staying in computer science.
t. cognitive science graduate

>> No.12146954

>>12145054
>Psychology
Tell me again how we build up too much pressure from stress? Oh look the steam engine was just invented.
Patterns of thought and action are self replicating functions that we must. . . Oh look computers were just invented.
>Philosophy
Hasn't been a science since ancient Greece was around.
>Linguistics
Some parts may be understood scientifically, but this isn't what 99% of linguistics majors do.
>Anthropology
At best, forensic science applied to a scope of dead civilizations. The rest is literal storytelling.
>Neuroscience
Medical science, which everyone knows is fucked to next Tuesday with shit studies to get grant money, to pharmaceutical companies selling secret proprietary placebos, to new agers promoting arsenic inhalation because it's natural.
>Artificial Intelligence
Again, an actually science, but 99% of those claiming to be involved in AI science are not doing science.

>> No.12147012

>>12146648
What education would you recommend I pursue? I asked about money out of curiosity, but as of now CogSci is the field I'm most interested in. I'm positive I want to go into some sort of intersection between CS and biology where I can be philosophically stimulated as well, though.
I'm in my second year of an Honours degree in CS and a BA in philosophy. Does this put me on track for CogSci?

>> No.12147016
File: 2.93 MB, 1716x1710, 1567088209284.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12146954
>Hasn't been a science since ancient Greece

>> No.12147046

>>12146954
Linguistics has a couple of 'scientific' aspects to it, like the study of syntax and phonetics, but it really is more of a social/anthropological field.

>> No.12147260

>>12146954
wew, how can you be so consistently wrong about everything