[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 64 KB, 1200x675, os-ae-ula-vulcan-rocket-update-20190410.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12131596 No.12131596 [Reply] [Original]

>Vulcan Centaur is a two-stage-to-orbit heavy-lift launch vehicle under development 2014–2020 by United Launch Alliance, principally funded through National Security Space Launch competition and launch program, to meet the demands of the United States Air Force and US national security satellite launches.

>to meet the demands of the United States Air Force and US national security satellite launches.

I find that suspicious because SpaceX is able to do all sort of classified launches including for exotic orbits & launch locations for those orbits.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/08/31/spacex-launches-first-polar-orbit-mission-from-florida-in-decades/

SpaceX, Blue Origin, and a new start up are pursuing reusable technology.

The Startup is started by former BO workers. It's called stoke.

https://youtu.be/3c-mr1Igp8k?t=576

>> No.12131651

>>12131596
The Air Force always wants at least 2 launchers available to ensure constant capability (in case one gets grounded after an accident). SpaceX and ULA had the two best offers in that competition, with Northrop’s Omega being a pointless (albeit interesting) all-solid system, and Blue Origin’s entry seemingly still on the drawing board.

>> No.12131656

>>12131651
what about Omega?

>> No.12131666

>>12131596
Vulcan is a mix of political and practical. The design choice of methane fuel is a compromise between Delta IV's hydrogen and Atlas V's kerosene. They intend to have similar capability to Atlas and Delta-medium at slightly lower cost. (Not sure what the plan is for replacing Delta Heavy for the largest spysats.)

The political motivation is to end reliance on Russian RD-180 engines for national security missions. Also to end ULA's shotgun marriage of two launch companies.

>>12131656
OmegA was the last gasp of the giant solid fuel industry, that should have been killed with the failure of Constellation and Ares (and SLS). It has horrible vibration on launch, is super expensive, and deserves to die.

>> No.12131686
File: 75 KB, 602x447, tashutl_c04_06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12131666
thank you for informing me.

Do you think China has what it takes to replicate what SpaceX is doing? Would that put pressure on the other launchers?

>> No.12133088

>>12131666

I don't think the Vulcan will end the Boeing/LMCO romance. I think it might make ULA more attractive to being bought by another company, but B/LM are still profitable off ULA, which is why they allow it to exist

>> No.12133754

>>12131686
>Do you think China has what it takes to replicate what SpaceX is doing?
Once it steals enough of their tech it will.

>Would that put pressure on the other launchers?
American launchers? Not a chance. Why would any American company give their highest tech equipment to China for any length of time?