[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 250 KB, 680x638, 827.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12090009 No.12090009 [Reply] [Original]

Do u need to have a deep understanding of a topic or just enough superficial knowledge to be able to know what to use when you have an issue and just google that topic when you need it?

>> No.12090039

>>12090009
Depends on the subject. Math, and the hard sciences, yes. Computer science or technology, absolutely not. Household tasks, never.

>> No.12090041

>>12090009
first for inventing/real research
second for getting a job/being a lab rat

>> No.12090057

>>12090009
I was typing out a long effortpost, but decided I'd probably only get worthless replies

If the topic is retard-tier, then googling it will be enough.
If the topic is big-brain-tier, then you need a deep understanding, and any gaps in your knowledge can be augmented with google searches in a way that a retard couldn't augment their knowledge.

An easy to understand example is this. A friend of mine read some papers by turing and nash. He's not a mathematician. He likely just read the words and understood very little, if anything.

If a topic is simple, then a pleb can read it and understand it. If the topic is difficult, then a google search will be just like my friend: reading but not understanding.