[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 130 KB, 900x542, tkm_cplx_final_plasma2013-07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12081292 No.12081292 [Reply] [Original]

>nuclear fusion won't happen. BP and Chevron execs told me so!

Reminder if you are anti nuclear fusion, you are a brainlet and you will hang on the day of the rope.

>> No.12081484

>>12081292

It will happen, just not at ITER first

>> No.12081614

>>12081292
I will never understand why enviromentalist are against it. It wouldn`t just solve our ressource crisis but could eventually direct climate change as we want it.

>> No.12081665

>>12081292
if China gets to fusion before the west because of our insistence on catering to people who can't build functioning societies of their own I think I'll just fuck off innawoods permanently

>> No.12081817
File: 220 KB, 610x817, qvtmqtnjk4241-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12081614
Its because a some of them are emotionally attached the idea of some great struggle, a fight filled with meaning and sacrifice (or at least making other people sacrifice). An easy fix takes that away from them.

Likewise, there are plenty of 'environmentalist' who want to use it as an excuse to reshape the economy, culture, and general society towards ends they find desirable. For example, consider a politician who wants everyone to live in dense cities, and has been using climate change as justification for high fuel & electrical taxes to make having a big house in the suburbs or rural areas more expensive to manipulate people into moving out of those areas. Cheap, clean fusion plants powering electric cars that aren't tiny cuckboxes (see Tesla), and efficient household heat pumps throw a wrench in those plans.

>> No.12081864

>>12081292
>aspen institute
>3 mile island
>fema
>petrodollars

this is why I think the guy who suggested solar powered fracking was off his rocker enough to be on it in clown world. One way to extend the life of the fossil fuel industry, like Putins floating nuclear cities imply, is powering rigs without oil. Solar is retarded, but electrification of a rig that comes along with it should make them easy to hook up to small fission generators. Big oil is illuminati, so the problem of over distribution of unsafe methods should be safe. And nothing changes in perception, just that nuclear energy is powering the fossil fuel supply chain process. Some say carbon is a nutrient anyways, should improve crop yields where i'm from.

>>12081817
based

>> No.12081877

>>12081614
>why enviromentalist are against it.
they're not
>inb4 literally who twitterkike

>> No.12081915

>>12081877
>they're not
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nuclear-fusion-in-the-shadows-of-clean-energy-debate
https://www.theregister.com/2008/10/22/fusion_greenpeace_no/

>> No.12084156

>>12081614
>I will never understand why environmentalists are against it.
Actual environmentalists aren't.
The issue is the groups with ulterior agendas that latch on to environmentalism, which seems to comprise more and more of the big name orgs lately.
Basically these types:
>>12081817
>'environmentalist' who want to use it as an excuse to reshape the economy, culture, and general society towards ends they find desirable
These types are why normal people actually reject climate initiatives, not meme tier Koch propaganda that nobody except the politically active even knows exists.
Normal people just see antifa, BLM, etc types at the top of all the orgs, see shit like "decolonizing science" and "abolishing property" in their demands, and conclude that climate change must be retarded just like all the other retarded shit they get uppity about.

>> No.12084350

Hey OP? Your shitpost is bad. Chevron literally just invested millions in fusion energy.