[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 322 KB, 1820x2884, 1575190595-New Doc 2019-12-01 10.38.17_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11985050 No.11985050 [Reply] [Original]

What's a good route if one wants to self-study highschool/college math?
Based on what I've read here, I'm assuming it's something like this:

>Arithmetic > Prealgebra > Algebra > Geometry > Trigonometry > Precalculus > Calculus > Linear Algebra

Or am I wrong?

>> No.11985123

>>11985050
You're overthinking it. If you have no trouble with percentages, fractions, decimal places and arithmetic operations you can skip all the prealgebra bullshit and either go Gelfand>Stitz Zeager>Calculus or just do everything on Khan academy.

>> No.11985193

I'm also a tranny if that matters

>> No.11985228

>>11985050
arithmetic and prealgebra are the same thing. Geometry and trig are the same thing. Precalculus and algebra are the same thing. Study this.

>Arithmetic
>Algebra
>Geometry
>Calculus
>Whatever else

>> No.11985487

>>11985193
all that matters is that it matters to you

>> No.11985759

>>11985193
Post ass

>> No.11987700

>>11985193
Nah

>> No.11987748

>>11985050
Literacy -> Arithmetic -> Basic Algebra -> Synthetic and Coordinate Geometry -> Conics -> Trigonometry -> Calculus -> Matrix Algebra -> Vector Calculus -> Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces -> Ordinary Differential Equations -> Proofs -> Combinatorics -> Vector Spaces -> Complex Variables -> Axiomatic Set Theory -> Mathematical Logic -> Point Set Topology -> Real Analysis -> Group Theory -> Abstract Algebra -> Non-euclidean Geometry -> Partial Differential Equations -> Fourier Analysis -> Algebraic Topology -> Complex Analysis -> Differential Topology -> Functional Analysis -> Lie Theory -> Measure Theory -> Probability Theory -> Statistics -> Algebraic Geometry -> Riemann Geometry -> Number Theory -> Cryptography -> Numerical Analysis -> Dynamical Systems -> Classical Mechanics -> Electrodynamics -> Non-relativistic Quantum Mechanics -> Thermodynamics -> Statistical Mechanics -> Special Relativity -> General Relativity -> Cosmology -> Theories of a Quantum Field -> Condensed Matter Physics -> Electric Circuits -> Electric Devices -> Digital Logic -> Computer Architecture -> Mechatronics -> Chemistry -> Organic Chemistry -> Inorganic Chemistry -> Biochemistry -> Pharmaceutical Engineering -> Medicine -> Chemical Engineering -> Material Science -> Civil Engineering -> Industrial Engineering -> OR -> Micro and Macro Economics -> Game Theory -> History -> Anthropology -> Linguistics -> Political Studies -> Law -> Ethics -> Philosophy -> Theology

>> No.11988055

>>11987748
You forgot the lesbian dance theory at the end, as one of the most difficult subjects one may aspire to master.

>> No.11990157

bump

>> No.11991379

Most HS textbooks are designed for self study. Get a good HS textbook and workbook and go through it. Since you've already graduated, are older than the target audience and you aren't constricted by deadlines (like exams), go for something more ambitious. Look up what they use in top high schools for their advanced math classes.
Make sure you understand the topic from the textbook, but concentrate on solving problems from the workbook which should be the most time consuming part.
If you can't understand the topic in the textbook, then maybe something is wrong with the textbook. Good textbooks present the topic in such a way even an ape would understand it if it really spent some time on it (even the "ambitious" ones), but gradually pose more ambitious problems later on in the workbook. In case you're still lost you can support yourself with reading problematic topic from an alternative textbook, maybe less ambitious one. You can always switch the book in the process if you are able to tell it's better suited for you than the current one, but make sure you go though all the previous topics, because very often the material in different books is organized in a different order, some things are missing from the topics etc.
Read opinions online about the book you are going to pick, ask some teachers if you know any, maybe a tutor. Don't hand-wave this stage and take you're time deciding, because you're going to spend hundreds of hours on them. For the same reason buy a paperback - it's cost is nothing compared to how much time you are going to spend with it, or the cost of the time you'll waste on struggling with some subpar pick. Also, with paperback you can concentrate on it away from the smartphone and the internet, which is very important for some people having issues with concentration.

>> No.11991392

>>11991379
Also, consider working with a tutor. Sometimes, while learning math, especially when you're on your own, you get stuck on some problems or a topic. Sure, you'd be able to figure it out EVENTUALLY, but you also have to consider the time it will take you to do so. It might be even more cost effective, considering how much you'd be able to earn in those hours when you were stuck. I suggest working through topics/problems on your own, writing down any doubts, questions, things you are unsure of and problems you couldn't solve, and scheduling a meeting with a tutor during which you're going to get help. Also, you aren't able to tell what you don't know, if you don't know it. You might be missing a piece of knowledge which is important - a tutor should be able to spot it and point you in the right direction. Also, misunderstanding and learning something in a wrong way is also an issue when working on your own. Overall, a feedback loop is crucial in effective, quality learning.

>> No.11991437

I tried to self-study highschool and collage math with that path(1st year highschool), and I got to using integrals to calculate area of rotational solids, I kind of lost interest temporally and stopped. It's quite hard without any teacher testing you and only having a book but there are a lot of good sources.

>> No.11991988

>>11987748
If I were to live an infinite amount of time, this is probably the list I'd follow in my aimless pursuit of scholastic mastery.

Maybe not so aimless if learning is it's own virtue.