[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 881 KB, 935x911, 1585581845367.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11940511 No.11940511 [Reply] [Original]

Why are millennials afraid of math?

>> No.11940519

>>11940511

It requires sustained effort, sacrifice and a slight bit of faith. Math is difficult to learn from scratch, there is not a single source out there that'll teach you the entirety of Mathematica in a short 5 minutes youtube video with dick jokes, and pop sci references every 20 seconds.

I'd know, for I am one of the fallen. I can only study if I take stimulants, cause all I do is masturbate 5 times a day.

>> No.11940539

Pasta thread.

>> No.11940907

>>11940511
Most of the reason stems from being taught jack shit in elementary school and by the time they get to high school, they hate it because it's hard. Putting a greater emphasis on math and useful science would literally progress society much quicker.
t. guy who tutors grade 8-10s

>> No.11940925

>>11940511
Beacuse they are afraid of showing how low is their IQ compared with other generations.

>> No.11940933

>>11940511
Too hard. Proofs are impossible. But like I can do things I'm afraid of if I want, I'll just be afraid. Ommm

>> No.11940935

>>11940511
At least in America, theres a couple reasons why I think most people hate math.i think its mainly because the education system does a very poor job at teaching critical thinking skills and encourages people to dogmatically follow the teachers lessons without asking why we do certain thing. Another is essentially the first part of >>11940907, and how we place very little emphasis on science and math compared to history and english (why the fuck did I learn more from 4 years of regular english classes than I did with 6 years of math classes in high school, despite me having a PhD in topology?). We're taught that math is rigid, and the only way to be creative is in the arts. If I wasn't exposed to math on the internet when I was a child, I would probably hate math, too. If someones only experience with math and science is from public education, I couldn't blame someone for hating it

>> No.11940944

>>11940511
>>11940907
Plus they take something basic that shouldn't take anyone too long to learn and they stretch it out over an entire year of answering the same boring questions. No wonder people hate it.

>> No.11940951

>>11940511
This is an obvious shitpost OP.

>> No.11940958

>>11940935
6 years of advanced and AP* math classes

>> No.11940968

>>11940511
>Why are millennials afraid of math?
Because in a lot of cases the answers they give on a test/homework will have an objective, correct answer. It won't be a spectrum. It won't be a 140-character opinion. If they get an answer wrong, and someone else is getting it right, they can't go to a court of public opinion to shout down the merit-based results.

>> No.11940969
File: 37 KB, 586x578, IMG_2764.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11940935
>>11940958
>spent 6 years in high school
lol

>> No.11940971

>>11940907
I've never believed this
i went to same elementary schools as all the other retards, i was never particularly interested in math, and i never had any trouble with it
They dont like it because the people in the year before them said they dont like it, so they pick it up to be cool, cuz theyre faggots

>> No.11940974
File: 1.03 MB, 1829x976, 1595534193680.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11940969
>he didn't take high school math courses in elementary and middle school
>he didn't take multiple math courses every year

>> No.11941524

because i'm stupid and can't do anything right

>> No.11941778

>>11940511
It's not just millennial, but normies in general. I grew up in a post-Soviet educational system, but went to a US high school later in my life. Several things I noticed:
1. Nobody does proofs in US high schools. We start doing them in 6th-7th grade geometry classes, less so in algebra. Math is all about proofs, that's where creativity and critical thinking is.
2. Math is not taught rigidly. Rather it's a jumbled mess of "rules to follow". We are taught Euclid's axioms and algebraic rules and continue on from those. Americans seem to just pick whatever they see as "applicable". Probably has to do with the education system being bottom-up (parents complain that their children learn "useless" math => schools adapt) rather than top-down (government wants engineers => rigid math education) approach.
3. The US secondary education system is more of an extended kindergarten than a place to gain knowledge. That's why majors at US colleges literally start from the bottom, even though you were supposed to learn these things in school. I was taught what a function was in my Calculus I class in college (not the formal set-theoretical definition, but the children's one), even though I did this in 6th grade or something.
4. Modern technology makes it really easy not to know math. We were forbidden from using calculators in the former Soviet system, but encouraged to use them in the US one. 90% of the math class in the US your calculator does the job for you and you just have to learn what buttons to press.
5. There is very little Olympiad culture in the US, probably due to it's isolationism and abundance of good universities. In the former USSR participating in math competitions was encouraged as a way to get up the social ladder and go Moscow State University if you're truly talented but live in the middle of nowhere. Very little of that in the US, at least in my experience.

>> No.11941931

>>11940511
I have a feeling this pic was made by a mathematician. There are no spelling mistakes and it’s too grammatically correct for someone who would hate math for no reason.

>>11940907
Agreed. I struggled with algebra for years until I literally just started with elementary school basics and worked my way up until I had difficulty. It was here I realized that I was weak at factoring. After that I took calculus and linear algebra and enjoyed them a lot.

>> No.11942121

>>11940511
They're stupid and arrogant. So they don't admit their stupidity, then blame math.

>> No.11942174

>>11940907
Schools in general are the problem. Or not schools in and of themselves but more the curriculum and the way things are taught.
When I was a little shit, I was interested in dinosaurs, whales and dolphins, sharks, fighter jets, cars and legos. Then I was into videogames. Not Mario but strategy and tycoon games mostly. So pretty much a regular kid.
Not once in my entire school education did any teacher ever touch on any of those topics interesting to me. School was fucking boring not because of the content I had to learn but the way it was presented to me. I didn't understand why I had to learn basic multiplication tables, so I didn't. Nobody explained it to me. Nobody ever came up with the idea to link it to anything I might have found interesting. Had they told me I needed to learn multiplication so I could calculate how much food a T-Rex would have to eat in a month, or a year, and how many triceratops he'd have to kill to do that, I would have studied that shit hard. Had my physics teacher, instead of showing us a video of how he tracked to the jungle solo and then accidentally shot himself in the finger, explained to us that physics was pretty mich the basis of everything and that we could use it to get to Mars, I'd have been the best student. Instead he got fired and replaced by some fat lady who let us play cards in class. Same for chemistry.
As an adult I'm interested in these topics and I realize I was a dumb little shit. But how should I have known better when I was confronted with teachers who didn't give a fuck themselves?

>> No.11942179

>>11940511
reading this hurt me