[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 713 KB, 4125x2400, u79y307xdkj01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11774909 No.11774909 [Reply] [Original]

Of all branches of study mathematics is really the most challenging one? or this just a meme perpetuated by this board?

>> No.11774927

No physics and chemistry are harder.

>> No.11774944

>>11774927
This, and I'm a mathfag who did physics undergrad

>> No.11774970

>>11774927
chemistry is mostly theoretical knowledge you need to memorize.

>> No.11775058

>>11774909
philosophy is the hardest one. it's so hard we can barely make any progress in hundreds of years. only the linguists were powerful enough to restrain it

>> No.11775110

Mathematics is a really huge field

If you’re going into something computational then there are definitely related fields like computational chemistry and biology that have every bit as complex math in addition to scientific rules you need to understand well enough to integrate into your computational models.

If you’re studying pure math at the research level that is definitely the most difficult field there is in terms of abstract, non-computational thought, nothing really compares.

Computational and abstract are two very different ways of thinking though, I’ve always found the abstract pure math harder but some people are better suited to it than coding. It’s definitely 100% subjective, opinionated and unscientific to conclude abstract math/fields of study are harder than computational.

/sci/ is like 10% researchers 90% undergrads though. Math is definitely harder than any other traditional major (physics, chemistry, mechanical/electrical/computer engineering); that said I’m sure there are specific focused programs in like robotics or AI for example at certain universities that are harder.
Also, you need like 60 credits to complete a math major and 100-120 for many engineering majors so even though the classes are harder it’s way less work.