[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 39 KB, 198x317, 9780122089305[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11728275 No.11728275 [Reply] [Original]

I was talking to someone with a supposed high IQ, and trying to understand how they think.

From what I gather a lot of the ability of someone with high IQ is being able to "shut off" part of their brain to look at things almost purely objectively like they are entirely new things.

Instead of going in and having "interference" from what you would normally expect due to experience/crystallized knowledge, they can always look at something as if it were an entirely new thing.

Is there a way to block out this interference and let's say learn math/language quickly like a sponge instead of making mistakes because your brain wants to do things "the good ol way?" Maybe I'm misunderstanding too. I'm sure processing speed plays a part. Is there a way to work on increasing that as well? I just want to learn a lot of things and solve problems for fun. I'm a midwit as it stands and just am hoping to get a little bit better/faster at problem solving and learning. Haven't read this book. I'm in my mid 20's and I want to be able to continue learning if at all possible

>> No.11728302

>>11728275
>high IQ people shut off part of the brain
Yeah, they're shutting off a part alright, they're shutting off the entire right hemisphere. IQ tests are extremely left-brain dominated in nature.

>> No.11728305
File: 105 KB, 642x960, 1577709391837.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11728275

About IQ & Intelligence: https://files.catbox.moe/j1wck8.webm

>> No.11728380

>>11728305
There was a link that someone posted about what iq tests measure. It was a study. I can't remember the thread.

>> No.11729096

>>11728275
I think part of it stems from emotion. When a brain operates on emotion it seems to wire itself with prejudices and "oughts."
Being detached helps with this. Another approach is to be excited and take something at face value because it is new.
The best way to learn and expand your horizons is to find passions and feed them. When I was in my mid twenties I found photography to be a major passion, which fed into chemistry as an auxiliary passion because of printmaking. This led to inorganic chemistry and a variety of other interests and experiments.
The point is, you just keep running with those passions and master them. These days I am still quite young, but because of my passions I have probably the equivalent of 8 or 9 degrees worth of accumulated knowledge and expertise that I work with.

>> No.11730081

>>11729096
Never really had a passion. Just fleeting interest in a wide variety of things.

>> No.11730122

>>11728275
Yes, abstraction is something that smart people do to save on processing power. Not even IQ related.

>> No.11730127

>>11728302
I used my high IQ to reengineer my right brain into mirroring my left brain. I am now the equivalent of a dual major in computer science and chemical engineering, as opposed to a major in computer science and ancient religious pottery appreciation. I went from absolutely useless to a supreme deity with this easy trick. (Easy, given my IQ is unfathomable)

>> No.11730722

>>11728275
>From what I gather a lot of the ability of someone with high IQ is being able to "shut off" part of their brain to look at things almost purely objectively like they are entirely new things.
That isn't high IQ, that seems to be a boon of autism.

>> No.11730749

>>11728275
>Is there a way to block out this interference and let's say learn math/language quickly like a sponge instead of making mistakes because your brain wants to do things "the good ol way?"

Sleep deprivation. Around the 24-26 hour mark, not before, and not after, drinking a large dose of caffeine. A lot of the mind's natural unease and desire to check incoming information will be deactivated, and you can build up a framework separate from your existing knowledge. Then integrate it later. After you know how to do it, you can access the state without that specific lead in.

>> No.11731080

>>11730749
Is this true or just schizo posting. Because everywhere else says lack if sleeps completely inhibits learning in every way, shape, and form.

>> No.11731153

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-train-my-brain-to-think-faster-and-process-thoughts-ideas-quickly

Is this rn sreethman guy any legit?

>> No.11731897

Define midwit in your case op

>> No.11732216

>>11731080
>shoehorning in "schizo" whining
Well gee jimminy guy, maybe you could, oh I don't know, just fucking try it and see what happens? Fucking hell, I'm just telling you MY EXPERIENCE.

Enough. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. You are retarded. Never mind, I made it up, it's schizo. Don't use my method. It makes mustard gas.

>> No.11732310

>>11731897
Midwit meaning I can get things pretty quickly, I'm decent at problem solving, but I can't really learn things as quickly as I want or hold enough in my short term memory. Also I'm only just okay at spatial reasoning in my head. I can't really do a lot of things in my head an need paper

>> No.11732882

>>11732216
You sound like a flat earther who is mad for being called out.

>> No.11732896

>>11732882
Clamped.

>> No.11733045
File: 88 KB, 550x563, 1576857102111.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related shows it well, the limbic brain is the enemy here. You can train your PFC with meditation.

>> No.11733135

>>11733045
That's what the cerebellum does.

>> No.11734411

>>11733045
>>11733135
I thought meditation was a bit of a meme. Well, you have people claiming they get superpowers from meditating and others saying it does nothing. What can it actually do for you and what's a good way to learn bow to do it?

>> No.11734469 [DELETED] 

>>11734411
The cerebellum controls the cerebral cortex. What meditation does is that it gives you time to do some cleanup and optimize. (Especially when coupled with sensory deprivation) All meditation seems to be techniques to unload the cerebellum from the pressure of things it normally does, so it can focus on the innernal processes instead.

>> No.11734481

>>11734411
The cerebellum controls the cerebral cortex. What meditation does is that it gives you time to do some cleanup and optimize. All meditation seems to be techniques to unload the cerebellum from the pressure of things it normally does, so it can focus on the innernal processes instead. Sensory deprivation also works the same way, but it takes no extra effort to learn.

>> No.11734611

>>11728275
I have an IQ +3StdDev and I'm a fatass who works in a supermarket and math gives me a headache. I avoid difficult tasks and have sat on my ass and learned very little for the past 5-6 years. As long as you have the discipline to apply yourself to new tasks and challenges you will be fine. Stop worrying about your IQ.

>> No.11741197

>>11734481
Any books/instructions for proper meditation? Specifically for the reasons of increasing abstraction/working memory/creativity?

>>11734611
Well I have the same issue too. I wanna enjoy learning more, except the little things take up a lot of time and it goes too slow and I get annoyed and put it off. If I had better processing I could make the little things go quicker.

>> No.11744250

>>11734411
Well, it can help dealing with feeling of depression and loneliness. I personally find myself stop giving a fuck about loneliness after meditating for a few weeks. I don’t know if it apply to you tho.

>> No.11744274

>>11728275
I think this person may have subconsciously created a mnemonic device or self hypnotic trigger to manually controle their brain’s neuroplasticity.

Basically, they learned how to consciously controle the chemistry in their brain to facilitate learning. I’d imagine this is a trick anyone could learn to do with practice and training.

>> No.11748272

>>11728275
I think learning about psychology, specifically Julian Jaynes and Iain McGilchrist made be understand what faculties you need to “activate” to learn more quickly and understand ideas more deeply. Imagination and being able to simulate things in your mind even though you have never seen it before is what makes learning a lot more easier for me. Creating relationships between ideas, forming ideas yourself instead of copy and pasting into your memory what the author of the paper said. Investing some time into the context of a certain idea, learning about related ideas. Learning to see the difference between assumptions and conclusions, Etc.

>> No.11748961

>>11744274
Go further in depth with what you mean by self hypnotizing to control plasticity.
>>11748272
I'll have to look into the psychology. I know as I get older I definitely am more and more resistant to doing things new ways. Old habits definitely don't shake easy. Video games is one thing. I hit a ceiling and stopped trying to improve for years and now, even if I try to improve, my old habits haunt me.

>> No.11749040

>>11734611
/thread

See you again tomorrow, retards.

>> No.11749183

>>11749040
No. You have to compete with the standards of tryhard high iq'ers in college or any endeavor.

>> No.11749716 [DELETED] 

>>11748961
>Go further in depth...
I feel as tho I'm not educated enough to talk about this topic, but since you asked I'll give it a shot.

Learning isn't just a thought process. There's a physiological aspect to learning. As you learn the brain physically changes as it rewires itself. When we learn new or difficult things, our brains changes in a way that makes them more neuroplastic. This make learning easier. It's why after a long summer break it's hard to focus or learn for the 1st week or 2. It takes about that long for the brain to rewire itself for learning difficult things.
Now it's my belief there's a limit how how much this can happen. I think there is a negative feedback loop governing or limiting this process that allows the brain to become more neuroplastic. I could be wrong but I think the brain is full of negative feedback loops. I think on a subconscious level he's become aware of this particular feedback loop, and is able to break it or "shut off" in his own words, and his conscious mind is using the thought or idea of "look at something as if it were an entirely new thing" as a trigger this event.

I could be dog shit wrong of course, but that's just my opinion man.

>> No.11749729

>>11748961
>Go further in depth...
I feel as tho I'm not educated enough to talk about this topic, but since you asked I'll give it a shot.

Learning isn't just a thought process. There's a physiological aspect to learning. As you learn the brain physically changes as it rewires itself. When we learn new or difficult things, our brains changes in a way that makes them more neuroplastic. This make learning easier. It's also possible for the reverse this process when you don't learn new things, which makes learning more difficult. It's why after a long summer break it's hard to focus or learn for the 1st week or 2. It takes about that long for the brain to rewire itself for learning/school mode.
Now it's my belief there's a limit how how much this can happen. I think there is a negative feedback loop governing or limiting this process that allows the brain to become more neuroplastic. I could be wrong but I think the brain is full of negative feedback loops. I think on a subconscious level he's become aware of this particular feedback loop, and is able to break it or "shut off" in his own words, and his conscious mind is using the thought or idea of "look at something as if it were an entirely new thing" as a trigger this event.

I could be dog shit wrong of course, but that's just my opinion man.

>> No.11751001

>>11728275
>learn math/language quickly like a sponge instead of making mistakes
Brainlet tier dichotomy

>> No.11753119 [DELETED] 

bump