[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 66 KB, 320x382, BizarroWordOrigins.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1158113 No.1158113 [Reply] [Original]

Etymology combines my two favorite subjects:History and Linguistics.

Discuss

>> No.1158140

Such interesting stuff.

I remember when I learned that to be "righteous" stems from <some dude> sitting at the right hand of Jesus. Or some religious figure. Idk much about that kind of religious history, but the fact that being on the right = good = righteous spun me out at the time, and made me more interested and aware of the origins of words.

>> No.1158160

>>1158140
this is common stuff. lefties aren't trustworthy etc... thus the bible verses about "let not your right hand know what your left does" or some shit like that.

Also the latin word for right was Dexter, hence ambidextrous means both-right-hands, while the latin word for left was Sinister (see paragraph 1)

Also "right hand man" is your most trusted associate etc

good stuff, etymology

>> No.1158171

How is it that you find linguistics interesting in itself? I've only ever studied it to improve my abilities with philosophical logic. Boring stuff.

>> No.1158188

>>1158160

yep, good stuff indeed. I was young when I learned the "righteous" thing, it just made me go "oh wow, so there's a story and history behind every word!" Cool!

Do you have any good titles on etymology?

>> No.1158210

>>1158188

the dictionary.

\troll

>> No.1158211

>>1158140

That's what's called a folk-etymology. A story people made up post-facto to explain a word origin. It is not true.

"Right" meaning good or righteous is from Latin "rectus", literally meaning "straight". Likewise 'sinister' is from the latin 'left'.

Both these usages predate christ by far.

>> No.1158241 [DELETED] 

>>1158140

And "sinister" is the left hand.

If you masturbate with your left hand, you're doing it for the devil. If you're using your right, it pleases God.

>> No.1158298
File: 32 KB, 700x467, photo_18_hires.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let me tell you something about the word "good," brotha. Good is an ancient anglo-saxon word, go-od, meanin the absence of color. So when you say good morning, what your telling me is "I'm gonna kill yo black ass, first thing in the mornin'!"