[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 412 KB, 1227x1600, myboylebiniz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11540655 No.11540655 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here study philosophy? I need a little bit of help.
Do you guys know of any works or subject matter concerning what Donald Rumsfeld once called, for lack of a better term (and source), 'unknown unknowns'? Basically, when someone can't identify the property or state of something because they are ignorant of its existence?

Thanks. Back to my brainlet holding cell.

>> No.11540656

>>11540655
Here's the full quote from Rumseld, for whatever it's worth:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_known_knowns

>> No.11540885

>>11540655
I "dabbled" very, very, very lightly in philosophy and its adjacent things. I imagine Freud or someone like him talked about this. This seems like the kind of topic a psychologist would be interested in. Especially in how someone could actually know something but to them it is an unknown unknown.