[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 79 KB, 1080x1286, 1584484350836.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11517928 No.11517928 [Reply] [Original]

Ok so this is annoying me to no end. No matter how much I google around, I can't find a good explanation for how to *calculate* local and global error in a finite difference scheme, and how they're different.

I understand the basic concept (I think) of local truncation error being the error in the numerical solution from a single step, whereas the global error is the error accumulated from all previous steps up to the current step.

But how the fuck do you actually calculate either one for a specific Finite Difference Method? I can't even find this shit well-explained in textbooks, on google nor on youtube. They all just explain the idea of it, but not how to actually compute it.

Can someone please just explain to me in simple terms how you actually calculate this shit? Like the step-by-step procedures?

Yes I'm a brainlet

>> No.11518440

bump

>> No.11518471

>actually calculate it
This is one of those things you estimate and give growth rates to instead of actually calculating.