[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 223 KB, 960x1280, photo_2020-01-14_10-44-04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11432762 No.11432762 [Reply] [Original]

Sup, /sci/. I'm currently enrolled in Math&CS bachelor in my country, and next semester I'll have a chance to enroll into one of non-uni programs provided by local institutions - one in theoretical CS/Data Science and one in bionformatics. Both of these programs require you to attend classes in evening once or twice a week and do a lot of homework.They both require you to take entrance exams tho and bioinformatics one is easier to pass, so if I fail to enroll into the CS program I will surely go with bioinformatics.

The thing is, if I succeed in both exams, I will definitely go with the CS one, but I'm also allowed to do both programs in parallel. Is it worth it to waste a chunk of my time studying biology and math models/algorithms related to it?

>> No.11432770
File: 86 KB, 630x944, coffee-good?.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11432762
is coffee good for you?

>> No.11432806

>>11432762
I'd say do it only if you really care about biology. The reality is that if you have a math or CS degree you can basically work in any industry if you can just show enough competency and interest in the particular field. If you for some reason really care about healthcare or something else related to biology then having a bioinformatics degree will not only achieve that but even be overkill (at least until you are competing for lead positions, at which point it will be crucial).

If you don't give a shit about biology then don't waste your time.