[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 120 KB, 1100x664, adderall-pills-br-image-credit-neb-4o1-2017-br.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11432382 No.11432382 [Reply] [Original]

Which (prescription) drugs can help with massive concentration and focus problems/terrible attention span?

I had one month to study for an exam but instead of studying i was browsing the web/gaming daily for 6h+, only managed to get maybe 30 mins of focused study time

I just want to be able to sit and study and not drift off into the web

>> No.11432481
File: 16 KB, 404x323, drugs are bad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11432382
Don't start fucking doing Adderall and Ritalin because your dumbass can't focus, you will get addicted.
And the fact that you are lazy shows that it will get worse if you start using it!
I recommend you drink coffee, great for focus , plenty of antioxidants and increases norepinephrine!

>> No.11432555

>>11432481
I drink 2 cups daily and I still waste time and procrastinate
I’m completely glued to the internet and my smartphone and I don’t want to waste my opportunity of studying at a pretty good university (I somehow managed to do the impossible and actually pass the entrance exam)

>> No.11432585

Look into nicotine supplementation. It's basically amphetamine-lite, except it also drastically enhances habit formation, which can be good for building study habits, or routines, or the like. Just be careful, though.

This is not medical advice.

>> No.11432590
File: 202 KB, 540x500, z0xdvj8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11432382
healthy diet
moderate exercise
no stress

>> No.11432641

>>11432382
what is your major?

>> No.11432679

>>11432641
cs, the necessity of googling stuff always triggers my massive browsing sprees
Like from 9 pm to 2 am just browsing junk online, I’m seriously addicted and bottled several important deadlines

>> No.11432803

>>11432679
you are surely not the only one, try not using computer or mobile phones for 24hours, go outside parks or start reading a book, your senses will change and you can focus better!

>> No.11432909

heroin unironically

>> No.11433500

Start off with Caffeine right when you wake up and with lunch. If that doesn't work for you try Modafinil. If it doesn't have the effect you're looking for try Ritalin/Vyvanse/Adderall (in that order) and/or possibly associative nicotine like >>11432585 said. Most people can't do these properly and just get addicted and become dependent to do anything at all.

It's a shame it's harder to get a Modafinil prescription than an Adderall prescription. I can walk into a psychiatrist's office and say I can't focus and they'll throw Adderall at me, but I can't get just buy Modafinil OTC when it has no addictive properties, no euphoria, no potential for abuse, etc.

>> No.11433548

I have the exact same problem. Though something clicked 2 days ago where i suddenly felt better, i could do things and be productive
Anon i think the problem is less with your inability to focus (which may still be true to a degree) but more towards motivation and depression
A few things i would say to reflect on is to see whether something is continuously pissing you off every day. Things like your roommate arguing with you over silly things, or maybe if you live with your parents something along the lines of them nagging etc. Stuff like that which you would classify as small but keep on adding up till you can't get them out of your mind (while you still don't realize it's that thing in particular. You sometimes feel confused to why you aren't feeling well.. you lie on your bed doing nothing for most of the day and then feel an incredible guilt and dread to not being productive while deadlines/assignments are coming closer
Unfortunately things like this does not have a set solution for everyone. It'll be different person to person, but from my experience you should try your best to forget about trivial things like if someone says bullshit "facts" that you know is incorrect, don't correct them and get into a discussion/argument (at least for now so you can be productive again) just forget it and continue on with your wonderful day, make yourself some tea and listen to comfy music
I would also start out my day doing something i like first (this is to convince myself to get out of my bed after i wake up) do something you enjoy (for a reasonable amount of time) first like playing a game (i would recommend a comfy game like stardew valley) or even solving problems from a course you like. Or in the case of computer science completing a project of your own writing code with small progress day by day Things like that will reset your brain into feeling okay and getting on to your next important task

I really hope the best for you anon, please update me (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

>> No.11433559

>>11432481
Adderall allowed to me to get my fucking life together, though if OP thinks 2 cups of coffee is a lot, then it may not be for him.
I was drinking 4+ cups of coffee a day just to remain awake and somewhat focus.

>> No.11433566

>>11433559
Did you ever feel like you were getting addicted?
I have a friend who was similar and needed coffee every day to simply function. He was eventually told he needs to cut coffee away from his life cause it was getting really dangerous.
Is it something to confidently recommend?

>> No.11433582

>>11433566
Adderall is literally just amphetamine, so yeah it's really easy to become dependent on it.
Coffee is a less dangerous stimulant than adderall, but honestly if you have to chug it every other hour just to function, you should probably cut back. On the weekends I try not to take adderall at all, and instead get by with 2 cups of coffee.

I would recommend getting seen by a legit psychologist, and not just some prescriber who's going to give you adderall after a 15 minute interview. I was diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive type (used to be called ADD) after weeks of interviews with my friends, family, and employer, so I'm pretty confident it's not just a meme.
You also need non-drug coping strategies, which the other anon above wrote a pretty fat post about. Stimulants in theraputic amounts will give you mental energy and let you control your focus, but you need to avoid pitfalls (like taking the time to write out massive 4chan posts when you should be working).

>> No.11433602

>>11433582
> but you need to avoid pitfalls (like taking the time to write out massive 4chan posts when you should be working).
Well damn i've been exposed

>> No.11433708

>>11433602
Weve been there

>> No.11433760

>>11432555
Do a dopamine detox

>> No.11433771

>>11432382
adderall, mph

>> No.11433798

Anyone have any experience with L-theanine? Found in green tea and certain energy drinks. Supposedly improves brain function and memory it worked for me on college writing papers but Im skeptical if it was just placebo. I also am concerned that it has diminishing returns and actually does damage but I dont know anything about neurochemistry

>> No.11433959

>>11432382
Place instant coffee power on banana skins and bake it in the oven for 30 mins at 160oC. Then eat some. It kind of makes you jumpy though. Try not to clean the house. Just do yr work.

>> No.11434181

>>11433548
The problem is I have few days where I’m pretty productive and manage to get something done but then I want to check out something on the internet/YouTube I relapse like go on a 8h internet surfing spree and just browse useless stuff on the internet - it’s like I’m a zombie who clicks link after link, barley remebering anything
Because of these sprees I have really damaged my grades and assingments

>> No.11435516

>>11432803
i love you

>> No.11435824

>>11434181
In an extreme situation first i wouldn't look towards drugs. In your feet i would enforce restrictions on my laptop (using my network) allowing or disallowing certain websites to be browsed. Like disabling your computer from viewing youtube for example. That should force you to just not use it and get on with your work.
You should try that before you'd take any drugs, alot of the times you just feel worse and lethargic because of them

>> No.11436001
File: 47 KB, 750x738, 12D1867F-4C17-4803-9AD0-7CDFAA90C571.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11432382
Tbh I recommend increasing the cost of doing those things for example...create a different local user or better yet install a different OS on your computer so I you want to play games you got to go through the trouble of rebooting. For your phone leave that shit at home or shut it off. If you want drugs adrafinil or phenylpiracetame

>> No.11437053

>>11435824
>>11436001
I probably have to remove the wifi module from my thinkpad because I tried using all those content blockers, my lizard brain always finds a way around those to get its dopamine fix

the worst thing is this dreadful feeling after wasting a whole day, I have already wasted so many days which I could have used to master a skill (got wifi access when I was 15 years old back in 2012)
everytime I think I finally fixed this issue I relapse after some time back into this spiral of self sabotaging habits
which is a shame because I find the material interesting but the internet is like heroin for me