[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 380 KB, 1200x1201, Earth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11395157 No.11395157 [Reply] [Original]

Do you think humans will ever escape from the Earth and enter a new world to keep living?

I don't think they will because of the tribalism and limited capability of man. I think we will all die together on a space-rock due to collective weakness.

>In about 600 million years from now, the level of carbon dioxide will fall below the level needed to sustain C3 carbon fixation photosynthesis used by trees

Do you think man and whale are the pinnacle of intelligent life on earth, or do you think something greater is coming? I believe, organically, mammals as they are currently are as intelligent as life will ever be.

>> No.11395163

>>11395157
So you think humans are (((right now))) at peak evolution?

>> No.11395181

>>11395163
Yes.
I think, having left the hunter-gatherer lifestyle that demanded extreme intelligence in order to survive and feed themselves (human body had to grow bigger to feed itself, and consequently smarter to get the necessary calories), and incapable of returning to it without massive genocide, the human species is done.

They are either going to build A.I. to succeed them, or they are going to piddle around and die. Not even genetic engineering for intelligence can save the human species for all it can do is make IQ 110 men into IQ 230 and nothing more. It's still not good enough.

>> No.11395185

>>11395163
>>11395181
And if anything, earth is going to get hotter, more inhospitable to intelligence as the years drag on.

>> No.11395205

>>11395163
>>11395181
>>11395185
>C3 plants, originating during Mesozoic and Paleozoic eras, predate the C4 plants and still represent approximately 95% of Earth's plant biomass, including important food crops such as rice, wheat, basedbeans and barley.

>> No.11395210

>>11395205
And you combine this with human over-population and resources running thin, and you start to see that the human species is unlikely to ever leave the Earth.

They are, most likely, going to have serious problems and die. When Elon Musk is dead, the money for forward progress is dead as well, and we are all going to die on a rock together.

>> No.11395216

>>11395157
I have that poster in my kitchen.

We're never leaving this planet.

>> No.11395229

>>11395157
I think it's inevitable that we end up as machines, then eventually a "borg" or just a collective consciousness floating in space that strives to understand the origins of the universe. What will the borg do if it figures it out? Just wait it out for the heat death? Try to create another universe? What if it reaches the end of understanding and realizes it's hopelessly trapped.
That's our end game of evolution.
Flesh bodies that need constant feeding, can't handle 0G, can't handle radiation or temperature variations, have limited life spans and use chemical transmitters to think are pretty limited. It will eventually make sense to become machines.

>> No.11395350
File: 551 KB, 2000x2000, Literal God(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Merchants and false morals are the great filter. Our fate depends on what we do with the last predator: our merchant parasites.

>> No.11395506

>>11395181
No.
The thing about evolution is that it never stops. It doesn't specifically have to be intelligence but rather some other property human posses might change over the course of time. But evolution never ever stops.

>> No.11395513

Boo hoo. The daily output of technology and research implies that at the very least the solar system is up for grabs. Probably the next thing on Earth is gentically engineered cyborgs. If humanity doesnt fuck up in 10,000 years a dog's decendent will be smarter than any human up to this point in history ever was.

>> No.11395514

>>11395210
I don't think elon is the only one who is interested in objects in outer space. Actually it's not altruism if someone is researching and developing technology for humanity to explore outer space but rather pure capitalism. You know how rich those asteroids are right? Even if elon is dead, some greedy and nerdy ass mofo will develop some technology for humanity to explore outer space for sure.

>> No.11395593
File: 492 KB, 1000x1000, 62495105_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11395229
>It will eventually make sense to become machines.

But the machines will sometimes want pets and will make cute little domesticated humans to play with. It will be sort of like what we did to wolves to make dogs.

>> No.11395599

>>11395229
I think a totally dominated organic world makes more sense than a mechanical one

>> No.11395767

>>11395157
>In about 600 million years from now, the level of carbon dioxide will fall below the level needed to sustain C3 carbon fixation photosynthesis

What causes this? Where does all the CO2 vanish to?

In response to your question, I am pessimistic on one hand. I dont think there is much hope for this current human population. Even if climate change proves to be a storm in a teacup, the fact remains that constant environmental degradation and pollution will curtail present technological achievement. I see stagnation and an eventual J curve in the population. However, I dont think we are going to see one big catastrophic collapse suddenly happening, rather a series of smaller, far more gradual, man made disasters spread out over many decades if not centuries.

On the other hand, once human populations have been reduced to sustainable levels, and providing the damage and changes we have wrought are survivable by our descendants, then there is a chance those descendants may enforce a far more ruthless policy at ensuring it doesn't happen again. In those circumstances it is possible for a new, far more efficient, global society to resume technological progress while at the same time living sustainably. They may very well willingly accept slower progress as a necessary cost for ensuring long term stability. It then becomes easy to imagine that this far more conscious, far more rational, far more ethical society achieves interstellar colonization by devoting their excess resources purely to that end.