[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 64 KB, 781x552, 1570954470268.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11359400 No.11359400 [Reply] [Original]

Is there anything that can make math interesting? I watch a lot of YouTube because I'm a dumb zoomer but I love the things being done with math. I'm interested in the math of quantum physics but I don't know where to start. I want to actually undertand the concepts being posited without having to use retarded metaphors. Math in high school was a disaster. Is there anyway to make learning this kind of math enjoyable and understandable?

Also the most schooling in math I've had is trig

>> No.11359405

>Is there anyway to make learning this kind of math enjoyable and understandable
no, math sucks and you need to be severely autistic to actually enjoy it.
>Also the most schooling in math I've had is trig
you're very far behind. You would probably need a private tutor for several years to bridge the gap.

>> No.11359408
File: 184 KB, 1356x1164, 97z2c2343nq21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11359400
You have to be 18

Anyway probably the best way to start liking maths is to get good at it, you have to sweat it out till you're good, but after that you'll find it and problem solving interesting and you'll naturally want to know more, and at some point the stuff in uni and school will line up and start making much more sense to you

>> No.11359412

>>11359405

>you're very far behind.
Bruh he's a zoomer he's got nothing but time

>> No.11359422

>>11359412
if he finished high school without even calc 1, he's behind

>> No.11359427

I'm a technical artist and only really started getting into math when I messed around with programming and computer graphics. If what you've done so far is up to trig, you'd be ready for calculus and then linear algebra (I suggest calculus first). This is when stuff is actually applied. It's probably going to be hard and a pain in the ass, but the payback when you're done with those classes will be substantial.

If you want immediate math fun, I suggest getting a spirograph. You get to see a real-life visual of trigonometry concepts and polar coordinates (taught in calculus 3). It's technically a way to show what a ratio is without using any numbers! If we had to show what 3/8ths looked like to an alien, I might use a spirograph drawing.

The real fun, when you get to it, is linear algebra. This is what people mostly use when they use programs like MATLAB to do AI simulations, make graphics programs and even plugins for music software.

Overall, math is fantastic but it has a very long rate of "Learning the tools" which can be excruciating and many people stop there. I had a professor explain learning math as an inverted pyramid: if you don't solidly know the basics, you can't branch up. It really only becomes fun in a creative way about halfway up the pyramid. Once you can write proofs, problem solving becomes a kind of fun that's hard to describe. Writing proofs was the mental shift where solving a real-life problem went from anxiety-inducing to exciting and for the most part, actually attainable.

>> No.11359439

>>11359427
What do you recommend for algebra and geometry review?

>> No.11359442

>>11359422
Again, he's a zoomer. He's early 20s at the latest. Nothing but time.

>> No.11359453

>>11359400
The problem is that you were vaccinated and irradiated. To solve, get some good antioxidant herbs and eat lots of cacao.

>> No.11359536

>>11359400

Understanding math and physics is a lot of work and the payoff isn't that great. For the thousands of hours you would need to invest in learning math and physics to be able to understand quantum physics you could be learning all kinds of other things that enrich your life and make you a better person.

For example, learning about psychology allows you to understand nearly all human activity more fully. You would better understand your inherent flaws as a human being and the behavior and beliefs of others. You would be able to better understand the structure of world governments and why certain political beliefs are mainstream and others are considered loathful.

Quantum physics is cool but don't let yourself become an autist that thinks understanding the abstract mathematics of small scale physical interactions means you truly understand the nature of reality, reality is much more than that.

>> No.11359569

Think of Socrates trying to convince Athens not to worry about the religious ceremonies around a perfectly straight arrow or a perfectly edged blade.

Just pick up anything, a tree limb, a bone, a rock, and act as if. Use the same moves, and just start bashing things up.

That equals sign is the successor of all such efforts.

Now!

Go with troll.

>> No.11359626

>>11359536
Never said I wanted to understand the nature of reality

>> No.11359775

>>11359422
That doesn't really matter. I didn't have calculus in high school because I was "homeschooled" and it just meant I had to spend a month learning basic calculus. It's not like your average physics major has mastered analysis before freshman year.