[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 800x450, i dont want to be a brainlet anymore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11354371 No.11354371 [Reply] [Original]

Will solving IQ tests actually improve my IQ?

Premise 1: If I have high intelligence, then I can easily solve IQ tests - IQ tests are designed for this purpose.
Premise 2: If I can easily solve IQ tests, it means that I have high intelligence.
Conclusion: By rising my ability to solve IQ tests I'll rise my intelligence.

Why wouldn't that work?
Wouldn't skills I develop by doing those tests (recognizing patterns, short term memory, abstract thinking etc) help me with real life problems and make me truly more intelligent?

>> No.11354681

>>11354371
Working memory training does not improve intelligence in healthy young adults.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289612000839

>> No.11354711

>>11354681
what abut unhealthy young adults? or healthy old adults? or old children? or even young children?

>> No.11354736

>>11354711
>or healthy old adults?
It seems to work in that case.
https://n.neurology.org/content/88/16_Supplement/P6.107.short

>> No.11354827

>>11354371
>Premise 2: If I can easily solve IQ tests, it means that I have high intelligence.
That's wrong. Premise 1 is true, but it's reversal is not.

Current research suggest that there's you won't be able to use "skills" you'll learn in those games/tests in real life.
Learning to look for specific patterns on a board with black circles, triangles and squares won't help you with figuring out patterns when learning math, physics, languages or when dealing with people.

On the other hand learning to look for patterns in all sorts of things could help you with the specific case of IQ test. Putting yourself in a position where you have to deal with various problems (math, physics, languages, social structures and so on) could help you with those problems in the future thus making you more intelligent.
That's why going to collage could actually help you rise your IQ, but those tests won't.

>> No.11354847

>>11354371
Most of the people who are famous for having the highest IQ in the world are basically professional IQ test takers. They learn tricks and methods for solving types of problems typically found on IQ tests so they can go on Ellen Degeneres for people to oooh and ahhh at them. These people have no other intellectual accomplishments in life. IQ tests are a skill which can be trained, a really useless skill at that.

>> No.11355571

>>11354847
based

>> No.11356241

>>11354827
>That's why going to collage could actually help you rise your IQ, but those tests won't.
What if instead of solving IQ tests I were solving test that students have to pass at the university? Would that work?

>> No.11356989

>>11356241
>What if instead of solving IQ tests I were solving test that students have to pass at the university? Would that work?
Sounds good. Just add a foreign language, musical instrument and getting /fit/ to the mix. And don't forget to get out of your basement on a regular basis.

>> No.11357261

>>11354827
>Learning to look for specific patterns on a board with black circles, triangles and squares won't help you

Don't agree. Pattern recognition and rule comprehension are essential in all the acitivities you suggest they're not.

IQ tests can actually predict your academic success.

>> No.11358948

>>11357261
>IQ tests can actually predict your academic success.
I think you're mistaking cause and effect.
People do well on those tests because they're smart.
BUT! People aren't smart because they do well on those tests.

Quick glance on research papers and articles tells me that training (aka getting better at solving tests) doesn't really work for raising your IQ:
https://www.verywellmind.com/does-brain-training-really-increase-iq-2795286
>While test prep for such assessments can increase factual knowledge, one study suggests that this prep does little to increase overall IQ.
>Why? While test preparation increases what psychologists refer to as crystallized intelligence, it does not increase what is known as fluid intelligence. Crystallized intelligence includes facts and information, while fluid intelligence involves the ability to think abstractly or logically.

>> No.11358976

>>11357261
>Pattern recognition and rule comprehension
But do you actually develop those skills by doing those tests? Or do you just gain more knowledge about how those tests work?