[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 26 KB, 400x403, InputOutput.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11290494 No.11290494[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is there any way the bible and evolution connect with each other or do you have to believe in one or the other? Is there one that is more correct than the other?

>> No.11290498

>>11290494
Why the fuck was the bible ever brought to the United States to begin with

Should've left that shit in the Old World

>> No.11290500

Dinosaur bones prove creationism because it proves that God put them in the ground to test our faith. [This, by the way, is what Christians actually believe]

>> No.11290517

>>11290494
Look up people like Kenneth Miller or Mary Schweitzer.

>> No.11290562

>>11290517
Any videos or books I should read by them?

>> No.11290629

>>11290562
Miller did some good lectures on Intelligent Design where he talks about his faith, and Schweitzer'll occasionally show up on podcasts to chat about her discoveries and her faith, but I'm afraid I don't have any links on hand.

>> No.11290663
File: 123 KB, 516x616, Pope_faith_1996_article.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11290494

>> No.11290718

>>11290500
>This is what a small subset of Christans (Who are completely separate from the Catholic Church) believe.
ftfy

>>11290494
The pitfall many people seem to fall into is that they think that creation can only mean physically building with physical, human hands out of a malleable material.
These assumptions are not needed, and try to project the way we create things with the way a Creator may create things.

Tell me this: if you could see and control the position of every single subatomic particle in the future with absolute accuracy, and could dictate all of the rules for their interactions, then would you not have created all the things in that universe?
After all, if your intention is to create humans, simply create a set of laws which gives rise to people.

Is creation not just manifesting ideas?
What does it matter whether you create with clay and hands, or create using the underlying laws of the universe itself?

Imagine you hear someone playing Mozart on the piano and say "Listen to that, that person is playing music!" and someone else replies "Hah! Music? That is simply the patterned vibrations of air hitting your eardrums to create an electrical signal within your brain! There is no such thing as music!"

How is this different from saying "Look at the beauty of the creation of life!" and someone replying "Hah! Creation? That is simply the product of many years of reproduction with slight variation in the genetic makeup of a species, given diversity by eliminating those species unfit for the environment via natural selection!

Both responders are correct about their descriptions of sound and life respectively, but they fail to see that these are not mutually exclusive with music and creation.

>> No.11290719

op only amerifats take the bible literally

>> No.11290750

>>11290494
Obviously. Science deals with differential equations. To get any use out of those, you have to use some starting conditions. We usually get them from experiments, but we don't know what gave it the initial conditions. That's where Bible fags might say a creator did so. It is absolutely possible, that these initial conditions were set intelligently by someone intending the development of humans.

>> No.11290784

https://discord.gg/FFwRXKq

>> No.11290801

>>11290498
the first people who left for the colonies in the first place were religious nuts wanting to escape religious persecution

>> No.11290804

>>11290494
If the Bible is interpreted literally, it is wrong. If it isn’t, then it’s not necessarily wrong and religious beliefs don’t have to conflict with science.

>> No.11290807

>>11290718
> if you could see and control the position of every single subatomic particle in the future with absolute accuracy, and could dictate all of the rules for their interactions, then would you not have created all the things in that universe?

That “”creator”” is not falsifiable or verifiable unlike literal creationism and as such is even less epistemologically valid.

>> No.11290818

>>11290663
...because you can have faith without the bible.
Any attempt to take the bible seriously will however clash like two trains.
https://youtu.be/DuStSHFTcZs?t=1m

>> No.11290829
File: 358 KB, 700x882, 998650e6acb85dadf3b1da830d6a164e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11290494
>Underlying logic that drives the universe causes life to eventually form for whatever reason
>Another entity / species comes and intervenes in the development of homo erectus or perhaps even early man, creates modern humans. Which is why you have red hair, green eyes, blue eyes, blonde hair, indefinite expression of lactase, etc rapidly originated in a very small region
There you go. Creation, evolution, and even abiogenesis, unified. Not mutually exclusive.

>> No.11290830

>>11290829
Also, the religious Atheist cries out in discomfort and confusion, "No, ancient AIs, ancient astronauts, annunaki, I don't like it, I don't like it, NO!"
Guess what kiddo...
Too bad.

>> No.11290831

>>11290830
Impressive, did you quote that from your PhD?

>> No.11290833

>>11290831
Barely worth responding to. Piss off, halfwit.

>> No.11290836

>>11290663
Both are literally true. God created "man" and everything else in six days. Then he killed off everything again with a flood. After which evolution started and recreated all kinds of stuff, though more slowly.

>> No.11290839

>>11290829
>Another entity / species comes and intervenes in the development of homo erectus or perhaps even early man, creates modern humans. Which is why you have red hair, green eyes, blue eyes, blonde hair, indefinite expression of lactase, etc rapidly originated in a very small region

No evidence. Not scientific.

>> No.11290840

>>11290836
>God created "man" and everything else in six days. Then he killed off everything again with a flood

Prove it. You can’t because it hasn’t a lick of evidence.

>> No.11290847

>>11290839
Plenty of evidence. Start with the ancient "mythology" across the entire planet, then consider all the underwater cities off the Greek islands, then consider all the structures we supposedly built. The pyramids, perhaps some methods proposed make sense. The structures in South America? Absolutely not. The examples just go on and on. There's indication of a nonlinear or cyclic history.

I was raised "not religious", so I think that's part of why there isn't any reason for me to make demands of this place. I have no stake in whether man was created. The behavior of the rest of you, atheist or otherwise, is tiresome and asinine. You're all very needy, and very brainwashed, no openness, no capacity for considering the bigger picture. Muh "nuh ebedense, no ebedense, dare iz nuh ebbadance." Shut up you dirty little whore.

>> No.11290848

So how does Islam feel about the theory of evolution?

>> No.11290853

any rational scholar views the old testament as a mixture of fairy tales, parables or racial history.

>> No.11290856
File: 50 KB, 600x600, 1560027110649_out2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11290853

>> No.11290865

>>11290847
Based agnostic.

>>11290494
All major sects of Christianity accept that evolution was the mechanism used for Gods creation of man, with the exception of Mormonism I guess.

It's a false premise to assume science and christianity are mutually exclusive. Although it's a non-issue to begin with, since it's not like organized religion is in any place to threaten the powers that be when it comes to secular education in the modern world.

Regardless, this thread is against board rules. Kindly cease.

>> No.11290869

>>11290847
>Start with the ancient "mythology" across the entire planet

Mythology is mythology. Goofy stories don’t constitute evidence of anything but goofy stories.

> then consider all the underwater cities off the Greek islands

Wow sea levels rose this is surely proof of ancient alien wizards who created humans from the tenth dimension.

> The pyramids, perhaps some methods proposed make sense.

Nothing about the construction of the pyramids suggests feats beyond contemporary local engineering.

> The structures in South America? Absolutely not

Which ones? Be specific.

> There's indication of a nonlinear or cyclic history.

You’ve failed to show evidence of such.

> I was raised "not religious", so I think that's part of why there isn't any reason for me to make demands of this place. I have no stake in whether man was created. The behavior of the rest of you, atheist or otherwise, is tiresome and asinine. You're all very needy, and very brainwashed, no openness, no capacity for considering the bigger picture. Muh "nuh ebedense, no ebedense, dare iz nuh ebbadance." Shut up you dirty little whore.

Not an argument, my big bimbo slut. Provide evidence or fuck off. :)

>> No.11290911

>>11290494
Religion is and always has been a means of social cohesion and social control, almost everyone involved in it at the higher level does not believe in a dude in the sky. This is what vocal atheists don't understand.

Religions are everywhere, every successful society has religion at its core and when religion is taken away society starts to break down with it.

In the west the next major religion will end up being the one nobody is allowed to complain about or mock, Islam. Yes for whites too, because religions are needed.

You have to keep in mind that your nations are full of stupid assholes, violent stupid assholes and that humans are just advanced monkeys who are incredibly tribal.

If you can con enough people into believing in a religion they won't break the rules (in the majority) of it because they fear the consequences of "hell" or whatever. It also allows your people to be in a big group of belonging (if you will) and they feel a greater brotherhood with everyone else in the gang, so even if football fans argue about which team is best or politicians argue they still would come together on a Sunday because they had that major belonging in common.

When it's gone you see people make smaller groups to belong to and they have nothing in common with anyone else, in 2020 with Christianity near dead you see everyone making groups to belong to and hating on others and seeming to have nothing in common with others. Instead of belonging to one greater group and all wanting to fit into it. Western nations are more divided than ever.

Religion was never for the intelligent people (intelligent people who are in favor of religion do so because they know how useful it is), it was for the lower masses that make up the majority of your populations and who if they turn on you will rip your eyes out and shove them up your ass. Humans are monkeys, really really violent ones and if there is no greater rule of living shit gets real.

>> No.11290915

>>11290807
Nothing metaphysical is verifiable.
Moreover, simply because something cannot be verified, does not mean that it cannot be true.
Imagine if everyone in the world ceased to exist.
Would our universe continue to exist?

We already know of matter which doesn't interact with light (dark matter), so why should there not exist any kind of "matter" which doesn't interact with anything we know?
Why couldn't there be laws which govern the exotic matter which do not apply to our own?
Imagine if there were a sapient being which exists in a world made entirely of this type of matter.
They could truthfully say that the part of the universe which we are familiar with cannot be verified, and that there is no reason to believe that it exists.
This is a perfectly valid opinion, but this does not change the truth of our own existence.
There is also no reason to assume that everything that exists can be detected or interact with what we know.
Science describes only what can be verified, and gives a description only of the universe that can be detected.
This makes it a very useful tool, but it cannot be used to describe the totality of the universe, nor can it be used to rule out the existence of anything outside of what we are familiar with.

>> No.11290923

>>11290911
To use an analogy:

Imagine you had two kids, they keep fighting each other and they keep sticking shit in the power outlets and keep breaking shit.

You can't make them stop doing this in any normal way, so you tell them the story of the bogey monster and an angel.

The bogey monster will attack you in your bed at night if you do bad things, he is vicious and his mouth is full of fangs. He waits for you to sleep and he tears your body apart.

The angel will give you a great present in a few years if you have been really really good. She is watching you all the time, she looks after your pets when they die and brings them back to life to live in a lush green field....but only if you're good.

If you make that kid believe that 100% that kid is going be behaved as fuck most of the time. If you also tell them that they are both in the same group of angels or whatever they will feel they are both in this together.

Populations are the same, as I said the population of your country has a mass of stupid assholes who don't think like you do and with who normal rules don't mean shit.

>> No.11290941

>>11290911
>>11290923
What concerns me is the implications of the religion
Christianity had within it the capacity to build and create, Islam seems consistently destructive. and prone to regression to extremely dogmatism.