[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 78 KB, 685x546, 1564886187010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11286866 No.11286866 [Reply] [Original]

I was reading an article that hypothesized that this image at least partly explains the structural differences between brains of people with high and low IQs. Here's the article:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325155490_Diffusion_markers_of_dendritic_density_and_arborization_in_gray_matter_predict_differences_in_intelligence

Now it got me wondering, what would happend if we took some individual with very high IQ whose brain is extremely structured like the high IQ one in the schematic and we made his neurons branch out in all directions like the low IQ one. You may immediately jump to the conclusion that it would make his brain the same as low IQ one, but that can't be true since his brain would still have much longer dendrites than the low IQ one.
I'm wondering because psychedelics such as LSD, DMT or ketamine are able of doing just that - branching out your nerve cells in all directions. Here's an absolutely amazing study which shows that in depth:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6082376/
In other words, given the information I've provided, when you put a high IQ person on psychedelics, what happens to his brain structure and what would be the effects of that?

>> No.11286882

>>11286866
>dude weed lmao

>> No.11286891 [DELETED] 

>>11286866
No it's the other way round. The bottom is the "intuitive person" who considers himself highly intelligent, because he always have an answer where others don't but in fact he's stupid as fuck, only his brain is much more willing to make conclusion on clearly inadequate knowledge. But he may score highly on IQ tests, and is the reason why so many people call IQ bullshit.

The top one is actually intelligent, and much better able to make rational decisions, because he knows how much he can know, looks for the missing information and takes his time to think things through.

>> No.11286892

>>11286866
Why are drug addicts like this?

>> No.11286894 [DELETED] 

>>11286866
No it's the other way round. The bottom is the "highly intuitive person" who considers himself highly intelligent, because he always has an answer where others don't but in fact he's stupid as fuck, only his brain is much more willing to make conclusions on clearly inadequate knowledge. But he may score highly on IQ tests, and is the reason why so many people call IQ bullshit.

The top one is actually intelligent, and much better able to make rational decisions, because he knows how much he can know, looks for the missing information and takes his time to think things through.

>> No.11286896

>>11286894
Well, there are more assumptions in your post that I can personally address.

I hope for someone to provide a clearer answer with data to base their assumptions.

>> No.11286897

>>11286866
No it's the other way round. The bottom is the "highly intuitive person" who considers himself highly intelligent, because he always has an answer where others don't but in fact he's stupid as fuck, only his brain is much more willing to make conclusions on clearly inadequate data. But he may score highly on IQ tests, and is the reason why so many people call IQ bullshit.

>> No.11286898

>>11286891
>>11286894
>>11286897
anon, it's time to take a nap

>> No.11286899

>>11286896
--> >>11286897

>> No.11286902

Seems like it could be difficult to have a proper scientific discussion on this board...

>> No.11286914

>>11286894
t. scored low on IQ test.
You are doing right now what you condemn: Without any information on the topic you are talking about you come to a conclusion that is neither logical nor backed by any form of evidence and act with astonishing certainty about the validity of your conclusions.

At least read the wikipedia article about IQ before you embarrass yourself publicly trying to talk about it.

>> No.11286943

>>11286866
Disclaimer that I'm just talking shit here and not a neuroscientist or anything like that, so take it all with a grain of salt.

The long-term effect of these psychedelics is to "open your mind". Micro-dosing LSD makes you more creative. On the other hand, a habit of higher doses of LSD consumption makes people talk crazy about UFOs and spirit realms and so forth. Perhaps this "mind-opening" property is the psychological manifestation of the dendritic branching you describe.

>"in the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few."

To take these substances is to become like a beginner again, seeing many possibilities. But you still retain the experiences of the expert. Take very small doses and you just consider a few possibilities you hadn't before, making you more creative and possibly discovering something new. Take very large doses and something fucks up- you are so open to new ideas that the random noise in your brain can easily overwrite much of what you have learned. You still remember your old pre-LSD experiences, but they are no longer weighted very strongly against the huge wave of all your other new thoughts and experiences.

>> No.11286945

>>11286943
Thank you for your take, I think you might find a ton of valuable and interesting information to you in the study under the second link I provided. It's truly of amazing quality and simple to read.

>> No.11286981

>>11286914
>t. scored low on IQ test.
I score highly above average.
> Without any information on the topic
Wrong assumption.
>conclusion that is neither logical
You say that defending the idea tha fewer synapses=better.

The bottom brain is the brain that is willing to cut more corners.
It's the person who consistently makes foolish decisions completely at odds with their IQ.
It's the person you learned to serve only double checked materials, because they will be unable to spot the error and do everything wrong.
It's the person who thinks they could hear you, even though they clearly didn't.
It's the person who belives things that are provably false, and takes it as the proof of their intelligence.
It's the person who accuses you of commiting acts of disgusting manipulation by completely innocuous behaviors.

>> No.11287433
File: 119 KB, 583x482, 1568457325167.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Another IQ thread