[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 670 KB, 699x558, A646487E-90D5-41BD-8925-2883E6FA7AAD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11238674 No.11238674 [Reply] [Original]

How to measure NOx in air? I live near a metal forge and i’m concerned about the effect the emissions might have on my infant. I’m 3 blocks away and they emitted 8.1 tons of NOx last year (byproduct of burning natural gas to run their furnace).. My wife and i always joked about being tired at her place, but now i’m wondering if it’s related.

>> No.11238741
File: 59 KB, 580x480, think-of-the-children.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i hope ur kid dies lol

>> No.11239554

>>11238741
based psychopath

>> No.11239558

>>11239554
*desensitized hipster

>> No.11239842

Your kids a piece of shit

>> No.11240015
File: 92 KB, 600x357, MQ-135-Sensor[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11239842
you're a pizza shit
>>11238674
use this:
https://components101.com/sensors/mq135-gas-sensor-for-air-quality
connect to arduino, read analog voltage, write to serial, to a laptop you have connected to the arduino.

-turn on at your place, away from alcohol, cleaners, new furniture/clothes, dusty floors, moving/breathing people. wait 20s, note reading.
-bring outside away from roads and buildings at your place, note reading.
-bring to wife's place, idealy on the same day so there will be similar temperature and humidity, note reading.
-bring outside, note that shit.
-analog reading should be 0-1023
-lower number = less gas/particulates
-could be NH3, NOx, alcohol, Benzene, smoke, CO2 other volatiles.
-if your place is consistently higher inside and out, there's something wrong with the air.

that's a cheap way to get an idea of whats going on

>> No.11240026
File: 96 KB, 1024x562, 1576788498399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11238674
probably should have thought about that before you had a kid, because now you're an irresponsible parent who is knowingly abusing a child be making it live in a toxic atmosphere.
when the child is older make sure you let it know about what it was involuntarily exposed to while in your care, that might be important information for this person later on.
oh and make sure to spend as much time shitposting on the internet using your family as an excuse to get attention for yourself while neglecting your actual family members.

>> No.11241666

Bumping a real thread

>> No.11241708

It's difficult to isolate the cause for your physical symptoms, given the diversity of chemicals in the air, water and food you are eating.

If you are going to be systematic about diagnosing your own risk, and confident in your tight to ask questions, ask the forge if their power plant exhaust is treated by a catalyst.

Since you are far away, I would inventory possible exposures in your home. You could be exposed to fluorotelomers from stain resistant carpets, building materials, PBDEs from urethane foam in baby care equipment, fire resistant clothes, seat and couch cushions, formaldehydes from building materials, PFOA, urethanes, and vinyls from various textiles, pesticides in your GMO foods (up quite a bit in last few years), carbon dioxide or monoxides from combustion / poor ventilation, indoor or outdoor PM2.5, fog-borne methylmercury if near the coast, point sources of pollution from neighbors burning wood or inefficient oil heaters.

Food is a major source of toxins. Youll be exposed to endocrine disruptors from food wrapping, plasticizers like BPA from handling receipt tape and malleable plastics. You'll encounter hidden toxins from consumer products imported from abroad, especially China.

Stay away from food products with multiple countries of origin, and products that don't list countries of origin.

Fatigue is commonly caused by the toxins that cause long term debilitating diseases like metabolic syndrome. Try to limit added sugar in food to less than 10g/day. Limit meat in the diet, in particular organ meats and fish which concentrate toxins from the environment.

Fatigue can be caused by biological contamination. Molds, viruses, bacteria many times come from family pets. Vacuums tend to pull a massive amount of material and spray it into the air. Heavy metals like lead will accumulate on floors. Young children affected 2-4x adults because lower body weight.

>> No.11241715

>>11240015
Or he could call the Forge and all them if they have a catalytic converter on their exhaust.

>> No.11242559

>>11241708
Based AF.

>> No.11243893

>>11241708
Thanks. I eat very well, mostly lean ethically raised meats and local organic vegetables from my local neighborhood co-op. I also get plenty of exercise. Finally, we had 2 places to live for a lengthy period of time and would only get fatigued at this house, so i’m doubting personal behavior is the cause though anything is possible.

Regardless, i appreciate your post. I will contact the forge, though i already reviewed their emissions chart and there was nothing about a cat in the report.

>> No.11243901

>>11240026
Do you have a source for whether this is hazardous? I’m in a major city in a large dense neighborhood full of people and children; and the forge is in compliance with all rules and regs, just looking for facts as opposed to your hysteria.