[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 251x251, stem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11222323 No.11222323[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

don't study stem. physics and mechanical engineering double major here. stem shortage is a meme. you will be severely underpaid due to no overtime payments(salary agreements). work is high stress because of unreasonable deadlines, so you have to pull overtime to finish stuff and you don't get paid for those. if you can't finish it you get bullied & fired and replaced.

there is no shortage of stem people either. the only shortage is for 5+ year experienced STEM people who wouldn't work for scraps. if you want a real salary good luck getting a job.

study business,finance,law or medicine instead of STEM. all of them will pay better unless you are really a dumbass. people often compare average salaries of a "business" major and an "engineer" but if you are smart enough to be an "average" engineer than you'll be in top 10% of business majors anyway. most people seem to overlook that.

i think STEM has the lowest ROI for any degree. people compare 4 years to 4 years as in investment(as if studying STEM and non STEM requires the same effort) but in STEM you grind your ass to get your degree while non-STEM people do fuckall and enjoy their lives and at the end of the day the salary difference(speaking for us) is around 20000~ / yr.(max). but the amount of stress and autism you endure is worth way more than 20000$.

dont fucking study stem. its horrible.

>> No.11222343

>>11222323
This is true.
I only went into STEM because I lack the social skills.

>> No.11222348

>>11222343
yeah even for those people i'd rather recommend trades like pipe fitting or becoming a lineman
easier work,more pay.beats sitting in depressing places

technicians earn more than engineers nowadays when you add overtime

>> No.11222351

>>11222323
neurobiology and physics double major here. you mention that STEM majors would be in the top 10% of business majors, if I'm in the top 10% of STEM majors are my prospects good or should I just go to med school and avoid the oversaturated market

>> No.11222383

>>11222351
Go to med

>> No.11222552 [DELETED] 

>>11222323
>went and studied STEM (specifically evolutionary biology) because 'hurr i'll be a science teacher, I like to help people'
>get halfway through and realise the realities of school teaching are fucking awful (low pay, long hours)
>realise that the university I'm going to is fucking terrible at teaching STEM because most Australian universities now only give a fuck about either teaching law and accounting for those foreign student big bucks, or humanities subjects for the hordes of domestic retards that want to study the arts
>drop out and do shitty jobs for a few years
>boring generic office work, some factory work
>become a mortgage broker
>it's a struggle for the first year or so, completely flat broke, no income
>gradually build myself up
>now earning AU$100k+ and rising
>lodsofemone

Fuck STEM, fuck it to hell. The couple of years I went to uni were a waste of my time and money and I wish I could go back in time and slap my younger self for ever thinking of doing it in the first place. Of the group of friends I made there, only one of them stuck it through and finished their degree, and even they've said they absolutely regret it for all the reasons stated in the OP. They wish they'd stayed in the rural town they were born in and studied agricultural sciences, they had plenty of connections and could have easily scored some good farm jobs in no time.

I can count exactly one person in my life who did a STEM degree and doesn't regret it, and that's my own father (comp sci), although even then he sometimes rethinks it and finds himself wishing he'd stayed in his previous profession as a marine engineer. Everyone else I've known has regretted it.

>> No.11222913

>>11222323
b-but medicine is STEM

>> No.11222981

>>11222323
>while non-STEM people do fuckall and enjoy their lives
this is why i'm no doing non Stem. Doing microsoft excel and having coworkers at the water cooler brag about being alpha lions is not appealing to me.