[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 931 KB, 3000x1512, ed-papers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11194041 No.11194041 [Reply] [Original]

Edward Witten:
>So where where we've made progress that's been in the string slash M theory framework where a lot of interesting things have been discovered. I'd say that there's a lot of interesting things we don't understand at all.
Graham Farmelo:
>But you’ve never been tempted down the other route. The other options are not.
Edward Witten:
>I’m not even sure what you would mean by other routes.
Graham Farmelo:
>Loop quantum gravity?
Edward Witten:
>Those are just words. There aren’t any other routes

>> No.11194084

Looks like this Witten guy has his head far up his ass.

>> No.11194093
File: 747 KB, 922x1516, sabine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11194084
t. hosstardfelder

>> No.11194105

is it right to say that string theory is basically like the autistic and extremely complex geocentric models people were building to agree with the observed motions of the planets?

t. have never and will never do any physics (feels good man)

>> No.11194110

>>11194105
That's exactly right, anon. You've hit the nail on the head.

>> No.11194122
File: 739 KB, 1960x1538, no_free_parameters.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11194105
no, a much better analogy is that string theory is like the massive progress that happened when Maxwell found his equations, and miraculously out popped the speed of light, e.g. radio technology and special relativity. string theory popped out of Veneziano's hadron model by accident just the same way and opened the door on a huge number of breakthroughs again in the same way as Maxwell's equations

>> No.11194165

>>11194122
now c'mon

>> No.11194203
File: 115 KB, 549x374, witten_gross_polchinski_hawking_idk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11194165
c'mon what? if you don't think it is promising, then you are at odds with the greatest living physicist as well as most of the other top living physicists

>In Feynman’s Nobel speech, he tells the story of poor Slotnick, whose just-finished Ph.D. dissertation Feynman had reproduced, and more, in a single night. Not surprisingly, Slotnick never wrote another paper. And stories had it that Feynman affected others the same way. I have earlier mentioned that first meeting with Witten, which was a little bit like Slotnick’s meeting with Feynman. But I don’t think that Edward has ever shown the highly competitive streak of Feynman; instead, he is competing with history. But each new paper from him gave me the joy of reading, and the question, “why am I needed?”

witten is a great genius and he wouldn't be barking up the wrong tree if he knew it to be so. he is competing with history and nobody else in the world is qualified enough to say jack shit to him, and even the closest people out there (weinberg, gross, maldacena, arkani-hamed, seiberg, etc etc) are on his team. the only people who shit on string theory are buttblasted brainlets