[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 761 KB, 1624x956, bleedout.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11184816 No.11184816 [Reply] [Original]

Suppose a person was out camping and suffered from a bad puncture wound to the inside of their leg. As a result of the puncture wound, their femoral artery was severed. Excessive bleeding occurred, but because one of the campers had a medic kit, they were able to apply a Tourniquet and stop the bleeding.

My questions are:
>How long before serious damage to the limb occurs, i.e. nerve damage, tissue damage
>When does necrosis begin to set in
>When the Tourniquet is eventually taken off, how will the body respond to the influx of blood that has been sitting for so long

Lastly
>How does a tourniquet being applied to an arm or leg effect perfusion, and how does it effect the blood that is left to sit in a static state within the appendage

When the tourniquet is eventually loosened, will the influx of stagnated blood do anything to the person or patient? Can a septic shock occur?

>> No.11184826

>>11184816
There are many factors.

>> No.11184861

>>11184816
I wonder if you release pressure on it occasionally to let some blood flow into the limb, would you have a better chance of saving the limb?

>> No.11184865

>>11184826
Wow good response, doc

>> No.11184869

>>11184816
Serious damage occurs the moment of infliction. The nerves if shredded tend to die last. Tissue damage to any and all musculature is easier to treat, bone marrow can shatter into shards if impact is hard enough. Many factors.

How long necrosis will set in is dependent on environmental and health factors, but on average will start immediately but metabolize in around 48 hours in the form of gangrene if not sterilized and sealed somehow.

The tourniquet will come off, body responds poorly and painfully for a while.
The blood in a static state can clot, which might lead to heart attacks in rare cases although usually avoided if removed in 12 hours.

Sepsis is usually a byproduct of the infected wound. It is Again depending on what the blood is infected with, this can cause septic shock in minutes to hours to days.

Falling into a swamp with a wound is like playing russian roulette with a zerg rush.

>> No.11184876

>>11184869
*2* hours

>> No.11184902

>>11184816
Hey OP

Keep an open mind, you’ll have several correct answers due to the academic inquisitive nature of your question

The covariates to this question are several, so yes it totally depends.
Compartment syndrome? Demographics of the person as well as medications, ability to mount appropriate compensatory responses, and the overall likelihood that the injury is accompanied by more injuries.

Either way, the answers regarding time is not long. If pressure was applied proximal to the arteries puncture, as opposed to circumferential pressure, collateral circulation has some reliance to add time.

If a tourniquet was applied and completely restricted blood flow, and they’re out on the field, the end scenario is likely amputation.

>> No.11185133

>>11184902
Is this normally the case when torniquets are utilized? I mean, I would imagine that any person who has been utilizing a circumferential tourniquet for extended periods would be potentially subject to amputation.

Is it possible after patient is eventually admitted to treat the affected limb with some sort of anticoagulant, start broad spectrum antibiotics, and go from there?

>> No.11185135

>>11184816
Bump. Fuck, this is interesting.

>> No.11185292

I once got told 5 minutes
Dunno
Real badly if not done by advanced medical care

The blood electrolytes?? get fucked up, waste products build up, I don't know about the rest.

>> No.11185304

Just go camping within 4-8 hours of a hospital lmao and always check your car before road trips to make sure it won't break down (check fluids, do go out with lights on, make sure no weird noises, check tires, tire pressure) also don't venture dangerously far away from your car, without telling people what your doing, so they're aware that you not returning in a timely manor could mean danger
The best way to prevent limb loss is good preventative measures for being stranded

>> No.11187144

>>11184816
OP, I've heard very little about this. What we did learn as Navy Corpsman / Medics, was that basically, if we use a tourniquet that is a very high probability that what ever we tied off, may be amputated.

The ER Drs treat the appendage with anti clotting agents, if you get them there in time, and they use heavy antibiotics.

The sudden release of a T after having been tied off for over 30 minutes can do a lot of harm. You have blood that is partially congealed, due to lack of exposure to oxygen/ air, it has not fully coagulated, however the blood has thickened to a dangerous level. Septic shock is not possible in less than 5 hours, even in a jungle environment.

We go through A B Cs, Airways, Blood, Circulation. If it was me, I would loosen the T ever so slightly so that there is moderate bleeding, but not excessive or arterial bleeding. Also, I would try compression first, compression is always ideal when compared to circumferential venous blockage as one anon mentioned. Cool thread btw

>> No.11187160

>>11184861
Reviving a limb is sometimes trivial. better to have the body alive, don't ever release the tourniquet. Make is as tight as possible, it should definitely hurt, probably worse than your own injury.
Tourniquets are often questionable to their use by civilians because they are often retarded as fuck and don't understand anything about medicine or what can be done.

>> No.11187206

yall just did somebody's homework, baka

>> No.11187225
File: 135 KB, 645x729, 1512374903194.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11187206
>don't talk about anything interesting because someone somewhere might have homework on it
ok retard