Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 241 KB, 2468x476, Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 3.30.33 pm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11156740 No.11156740 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Thank goodness respected scientists and regulatory bodies can't be corporate and political ha-

>> No.11156821

>>11156740
We can trust corporations, obviously if they kill us all they can't make any more money off us, so they can't go too far!

>> No.11156834

>>11156821
everything is fucked anyway so youre better off voting for more freedom and trying to save yourself

>> No.11156842
File: 78 KB, 1580x830, external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11156842

>>11156821
just trust the government anon.. they have your best interest at heart and they need more money and all our guns

>> No.11157272

>>11156821
>the priesthood of science can never be compromised and definitely never lie for money

>> No.11157288

>>11156740
I'm starting to grow numb to these black pills
Fuck em, I'm still going into academia bc I'm deluded and know it's probably the best place for someone with my temperament, despite its countless downsides

>> No.11157301

>>11157288
It's pretty fucked mate. I'm training to be either a school teacher or a math academic, but fucking yikes at the heavy brainwashing we get in an education degree.
Ngl will probably homeschool my kids.

>> No.11157318

It's almost like neoliberal capitalism incentivizes this kind of behavior.
And it looks like nobody is really capable offering a solution to this political problem.

>> No.11157332

>>11156740
Wasn't the whole issue of gas lead because of retards drinking gasoline?

>> No.11157341

>>11157332
Wait, that's bad...?

>> No.11157374
File: 24 KB, 473x361, 1227185368932.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11157374

>>11157332
Sure Anon, sure.

>> No.11158635
File: 809 KB, 1334x750, zizek they embraced me and they told me you can call me nigga.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11158635

Speaking of which, the obesity epidemic is also largely, if not completely, the fault of capitalist mucking with science. You know the famous USDA food pyramid? The one which didn't just set down US government health standards, but shaped the entire world's cultural habits regarding alimentation? The sugar lobby paid off the scientists in order to go easy on carbs, so they made fats the big villain. The end result: worldwide obesity epidemic. And that wasn't even the only influence of lobbying in the making of the pyramid.

And don't get me started on the pharmaceutical industry. That alone is reason enough to burn everything down to the ground. For starters, we already have extremely effective drugs for autism and depression, but tough shit because they're not profitable. Too cheap and effective, you see.

>>11157318
I can think of a few people who can.

>> No.11158649

>>11158635

I would have thought a greater shift to sedentary and less physical lifestyles as well as access to higher calorie cheap foods played a larger part than just promoting one food group at the expense of another. People can lose weight on a diet of McDonalds if they are active enough.

>> No.11158871
File: 56 KB, 764x548, sector-shares-of-total-employment-fte-workers-1929-to-2015.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11158871

>>11158649
That's certainly a factor, but the bulk of this shift to sedentarism preceded these past 3 decades. As far as I can see, the only significant increase in sedentarism in that time frame would be the shift of jobs from industry to service sector, but that too precedes the obesity epidemic.

When it comes down to brass tacks, capitalists have a direct profit motive to get us to consume as much as possible, and that, obviously, includes food products. And, conveniently, it creates a new market, for weight loss. It would be a classic case of creating a problem to sell the solution, except the problem itself is also sold.

>> No.11158887

>>11158635
schizo post.

>> No.11158931

>>11158635
>depression
>needing drugs
its very scary that we simply drug people who are sad. It's almost like there are overlying problems. You're right on the food pyramid thing though

>> No.11159022

>>11158887
I know, right? What kind of delusional moron thinks obesity even exists?

>> No.11159051

>>11157301
Oh theres no doubt I will homeschool my kids if I have the choice. The only way I see myself having the time to do that though, is if my future wife is able to stay at home and teach my curriculum or if I make enough money to not have to work during the day. Both options seem like moonshots.

>> No.11159056

>>11159022
you were right to begin with but this post makes you look stupid or you are purposefully missing his point. dont do this again, stick to your good arguments you began with

>> No.11159060

>>11156740
Are you retarded? There's a reason we keep academics poor. So that they hunger and the only way for them ever even dream of a middle-class lifestyle is by taking our money.

>> No.11159085

James Watson to me is the most obvious sign that current scientific community is fucked by political biases

>> No.11159102

>>11158931
And I agree 100%. Fighting depression, however, requires an emergency measure of sorts. Even if a depressive person isn't a suicide risk, they're just plain not fully themselves, you know? Whatever might be the cause, they're wasting time and opportunities they wouldn't if only the depression wasn't there. They live life by half. And the nature of the disease is such that they lack the motivation to improve in the first place, let alone fix the root cause, and that's assuming it can be located. They just plain need to get kickstarted. You can't teach a man to fish if he would starve before he can complete the lesson.

>>11159056
That's not me, breh.

>> No.11159281

>>11159085
James Watson is a senile old fart who hasn't done anything remotely useful since the 70s, he honestly deserved far worse, for being such an idiot.

>> No.11159348

>>11159281
Based bootlicker mistaking cowardice and intelligence

>> No.11159420

>>11159348
Name one thing remotely useful he's done in the past 40 years

>> No.11159445

>>11158635
>For starters, we already have extremely effective drugs for autism and depression, but tough shit because they're not profitable.

care to say what those drugs might be?

i agree with you about food though. it's a travesty that has ruined countless lives.

>> No.11159871

>>11159420
How does him not doing things = him deserving to be a leper for being honest?

>> No.11159905

>>11156740
This is literally why boomers are so stupid.

>> No.11159912

>>11159905
Nah, imho they're dumb because of tv. Imagine how much of a retard you'd be if your window on reality was CNN or Fox. Or even the NYT or the Economist for that matter.

>> No.11160151

>>11159871
The scientists who studied lead poisoning, nutritional science, effects of smoking, etc. actually had piles of data and studies behind their claims
You can't compare that to Watson's handwaving "it's obvious if you just look at the facts". Let him produce a paper laying out his argument, like everyone else. Until then, nothing of value was lost

>> No.11160168

>>11159022
>schizo post
I think he's talking to himself
best to just ignore him

>> No.11160174

>>11159420
>one thing remotely useful he's done in the past 40 years
list your world famous achievements

>> No.11160477

>>11160151
Exactly, Watson abandoned science a long time ago.

>> No.11160543

>>11160151
>it's a lone crank when the conclusions tend away from my sacred cow belief

>> No.11160808

>>11160543
Ok post his papers detailing the evidence for his conclusions, surely he didn't just prance around like an attention starved reality TV star without any rigorous evidence for his claims right? right?

>> No.11160831

>>11158635
the obesity epidemic is due to amerimutts being fucking animals with no restraint.
ironically the meat eating mutts are the furthest thing away from following the prescriptions of the food pyramid

>> No.11160839

>>11160808
the evidence is posted on these boards daily, there's no use. you're just a science denier like the climate change denying morons

>> No.11160881

>>11160839
So he had none, that's what I thought.

>> No.11160928

>>11160543
I didn't call him a crank anon. He's a great scientist. Please don't strawman, it's a bad look for you.
I'm saying he still has to write up his argument, just like everyone else does.
When his research team introduced us to DNA, they officially published their findings, they didn't just run around to TV shows and tabloids waving their hands about how the evidence is all around us.

>>11160839
>you're just a science denier
No, it's the opposite. You're the one denying the necessity of scientific rigor. I'm the one asking for it.
It's not some ridiculous, unprecedented order. Let him formally present his data and conclusions. Until then, he hasn't actually made an argument.

>> No.11160939

>>11156740
same is happening right now if you refuse to deny human biodiversity, for example

>> No.11160946

>>11160928
>I'm
*we

>> No.11160988

>>11160881
>>11160928
yeah he has none, that's not his field. his comments are based on the works of others which again are posted here daily.
just like the climate change deniers asking for al gore's papers and studies and declaring the science bunk on it.

>> No.11161007

>>11159445

>care to say what those drugs might be?

Psychedelic microdosing.

>> No.11161168

>>11159051
If you cared about your children homeschooling them would be priority number one, i.e. it's better to make less money and be able to homeschool them then let them be raised by these "people". Unless you don't care about losing your own children in exchange for monies, of course

>> No.11161174

>>11159420
...and this justifies the stripping of his titles?

>> No.11161178
File: 200 KB, 860x859, joe grugen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11161178

>>11161007
Stop falling for memes

>> No.11161485

>>11161168
If you have a wife and you barely make enough money to survive, theres a good chance that wife with leave and take the kids (and what little money you have). Obviously I'm not at a point in my life where I'm thinking of settling down, but when I know it's not going to be as easy as "drop everything and focus on your kid". You cant be a dad and not have a job, and it's very hard to have a job flexible enough or to have enough passive income to allow you the time to homeschool your kids for years.

>> No.11161541

>>11160988
So if he can't provide any evidence, or even cite other credible research why is he running around like a Kardashian? The man is an absolute embarrassment the the scientific community.

>> No.11161550

>>11161168
Please do this 99% of homeschool victims are utter fucking retards barely fit to work in a McDonalds. Less competition for my kids.

>> No.11161559

>>11161550
but that 1% runs the world

>> No.11161562

>>11156834
>voting for more "freedom" and trying to save yourself
So you mean voting to let corporations fuck people harder because you're a corporation. Well, at least there's one person who's brave enough to look at the guillotine on their way up.

>> No.11161572

>>11161559
You seem to have mixed up elite private schools with homeschooling.

>> No.11161581

>>11161572
>my living room can't be elite

>> No.11161595

>>11161581
Yeah definitely not. You'll end up with some academically average kids, with 0 friends connections or social skills doomed to be wagecucks to the actual elite their entire lives

>> No.11161603

>>11156821
My boss actually pulled this crap on me. I didn't know if I had to laugh or choke him

>> No.11161694

>>11160928
>not a good look sweetie
You oversocialised bitch
I can see why the powers that be have done nothing about declining test

>> No.11161740
File: 562 KB, 220x220, external-content.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11161740

>>11158887
>attacking corporate food industry GOOD
>attacking corporate drug industry BAD

>> No.11161768
File: 171 KB, 637x431, flandre idiots.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11161768

>another /pol/ thread

>> No.11161873
File: 1.96 MB, 1351x1938, primitive.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11161873

>>11160988
>yeah he has none, that's not his field
Then why is he talking?
He's using his clout that he got from one field to spread falsehoods about another. What a fucking joke.

>which again are posted here daily
Of the studies I've seen, half are just invalid garbage, a quarter are inconclusive at best, and the last quarter contradict him.

>> No.11161898

>>11161873
you should hang out with the climate change deniers you got a lot in common

>> No.11161910
File: 356 KB, 1460x1006, 1529153663768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11161910

>>11161898
>refusing to provide any studies or data
no, i think that's you

>> No.11161919

>>11161910
based russian BTFO climate change

>> No.11161926

>>11156740
Monthly reminder than most scientists are poorfags working for the gov or for a private company and their boss is someone like Tesla

>> No.11162335

I hope that humans destroy themselves. They don't deserve to survive as a species.

>> No.11162343

>>11161910
>classics, history, law, philosophy, etc
>still part of humanities
heh

>> No.11162478

>>11159420
exposing how fake and gay (((academia))) is by stating a heresy

>> No.11162507

>>11162478
if anything, he's done a great job of demonstrating that evidence is still king, regardless of how many awards you have. Act like an idiot, get treated like an idiot it's as simple as that.

>> No.11162729

>>11162507
More like act based get lauded by based people while scum like you show your colours

>> No.11162736

Same thing happened to the guy who wrote about sugar being the real killer, he got defamed by a celebrity (((nutritionist))) paid by the sugar corporations.

A couple of weeks ago a (((scientist))) was talking on CNN about how vaping is totally harmless and the poor corporation that manufacture such products are actually a force of good, that they are saving us from tobacco companies.

We should totally listen to the scientist, their integrity knows no bounds and they would never sell out to monetary interest.

>> No.11162793
File: 2.64 MB, 3434x4000, 1504551065031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11162793

>>11156821
>you can trust us goyim

>> No.11162797

>>11161910
cucking this hard, the cope is real

>> No.11162804

>>11161898
climate change schizo spotted /x/

>> No.11162806

>>11162793
>this picrel
it is called meritocracy

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action