[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.66 MB, 1920x1080, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11145095 No.11145095 [Reply] [Original]

>you will never work at a quant fund and make 1m dollars a year

>> No.11145200
File: 273 KB, 750x500, 1467660206770.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>only 1m a year
I'm not leaving my chair for that. Quants even trying?

>> No.11145548

>>11145095
I wish I cared enough to get rich.
Instead after a decade of corporate wageslaving I feel nothing and want nothing.
I have many skills and are often clamored as a genius, but I have literally zero motivation to do anything.
Halp.

>> No.11145571

Money won't make you happy but it might make you comfy

>> No.11145580

>>11145548
a genius who never puts his skills to the test is no genius. you're just taking other people's word for it.

>> No.11145581

just rob a bank in minecraft

>> No.11145584

>>11145548
am*

>> No.11145673 [DELETED] 

>>11145580
I agree, but it's not that I never put my skills to test, it's just that I use only those few skills I need at work for the specific areas I need.
The reason I pass as a genius is because I can do pretty much everything and I'm very fast at learning new skills to an average level.
Note that "average skill" seems to be actually be rare to encounter in the real world, I've only met very few people who I could call competent.
Most of the people we hired were goddamn scrubs with barely passable abilities despite being 30+.

In general I put my skills to test until I reach a decent level, but then it stops being interesting and I switch to something else, and a new cycle beings.
I don't know if you know that feeling, but it's like when you finally manage to play that complicated solo on the guitar and suddenly the magic is gone and all you taste subsequently is mere emptyness.
I keep losing all motivation once I finally start getting good results.

I've tried painting, drawing, composing music, guitar, modeling (irl and 3d), writing, cooking, singing, acting, sysadmining, programming, 100m run, swimming, and others.
I'm good enough at a lot of stuff but I just can't defeat the apathy. It must be OCDs that drive me to learn new skills, because I feel like a fucking robot 99% of the time.
I don't even know how to spend my money because I have forgotten how to have fun and socializing with normies who talk about mundane things is most aggravating thing. Throw at them some advanced IT topic or quantum theory or anything remotely interesting and they stare at you like they just got a lobotomy.
I don't understand how I got where I am, I used to be a shitty brat who wanted fame and glory, with lot of motivation yet lacking in skills.
Now I'm the complete opposite, I got skills, I got confidence, I got knowledge but I have lost all drive.
Also I feel that getting rich may be a hindrance, relative begging for money, burglars, finances and investments.

>> No.11145675

I agree, but it's not that I never put my skills to test, it's just that I use only those few skills I need at work for the specific areas I need.
The reason I pass as a genius is because I can do pretty much everything and I'm very fast at learning new skills to an average level.
Note that "average skill" seems to be actually be rare to encounter in the real world, I've only met very few people who I could call competent.
Most of the people we hired were goddamn scrubs with barely passable abilities despite being 30+.

In general I put my skills to test until I reach a decent level, but then it stops being interesting and I switch to something else, and a new cycle beings.
I don't know if you know that feeling, but it's like when you finally manage to play that complicated solo on the guitar and suddenly the magic is gone and all you taste subsequently is mere emptyness.
I keep losing all motivation once I finally start getting good results.

I've tried painting, drawing, composing music, guitar, modeling (irl and 3d), writing, cooking, singing, acting, sysadmining, programming, 100m run, swimming, and others.
I'm good enough at a lot of stuff but I just can't defeat the apathy. It must be OCDs that drive me to learn new skills, because I feel like a fucking robot 99% of the time.
I don't even know how to spend my money because I have forgotten how to have fun and socializing with normies who talk about mundane things is most aggravating thing. Throw at them some advanced IT topic or quantum theory or anything remotely interesting and they stare at you like they just got a lobotomy.
I don't understand how I got where I am, I used to be a shitty brat who wanted fame and glory, with lot of motivation yet lacking in skills.
Now I'm the complete opposite, I got skills, I got confidence, I got knowledge but I have lost all drive.
Also I feel that getting rich may be a hindrance, relative begging for money, burglars, finances and investments.

>> No.11145724
File: 71 KB, 872x1200, 1563491428275.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11145675
Maybe the next skill you should learn is unironic charm school or PUA lessons, something along those lines. Or simply getting tipsy and bothering strangers (start with groups of men so they don't think you're trying to steal their local stacy).

>> No.11145733

>>11145724
When I get tipsy I become even more serious and less talkative.
Also I don't like interacting with strangers, this is probably trauma from childhood because my fucking parent always stopped to chat with fucking everyone for endless amounts of time when all I wanted to do was get the fuck out and get where we were meant to go. If it's for work I do it no probs, at least I'm not wasting my time intentionally.
Everybody I deal with likes me anyway, so I don't think I need charm school or anything.

>> No.11145748

>>11145675
I feel you anon. I really do. personally I fixed it by getting a hobby which can not be "solved" (namely getting involved in the rave/psychoactives scene). that's not for everyone of course but keep an eye out for something similar that will keep your mind busy without becoming stale. I'm sure hobbies like that exist that don't slowly kill you like drugs do.

>> No.11145789
File: 332 KB, 309x480, Veran.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It burns me up knowing I will never live to my full potential

>> No.11145809

>>11145548
Nah, you think you're a genius because you've never attempted to do anything, if you actually pushed yourself in any field you'd realize you're only slightly above average at most.

>> No.11145817

>>11145809
Yep, that's what I said in the other post.
I feel just above average.

>> No.11145821

>>11145817
There is nothing wrong with being just above average, you just need some drive. Read Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

>> No.11145832

>>11145548
>Instead after a decade of corporate wageslaving I feel nothing and want nothing.
That is like WoW pathfinder.

>> No.11145833

>>11145095
I dont work to hit an endgame of consuming? money means nothing

>> No.11146624

>>11145095
My boyfriend has been playing with the idea of working at a quant fund after his masters to earn money so we can have a family, but i feel bad if it would make him unhappy / mean he won’t get to pursue his passions. As an alternative, I’ve been harassing him into winning a millennium prize to get some money. I just want everything to work out in the end, and make him happy no matter what.

>> No.11146644

>>11145095
I just want to earn a decent amount of money, 50-60k in bongs per year, and that will be okay.

>> No.11146650
File: 236 KB, 1242x1940, EF6x5TAU0AE_RVC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My brother did and ended up killing himself. Meanwhile I'm just chilling, taking my third bachelor's degree.

>> No.11148211

>>11146624
>As an alternative, I’ve been harassing him into winning a millennium prize to get some money.

uh wut

>> No.11148253

>>11148211
>he isn't just too lazy to prove p = np
Get off my board, brainlet. This is smart but lazy territory.

>> No.11148259

>>11146624
He isn’t going to win a millennium prize.

>> No.11148266
File: 27 KB, 639x470, XgbX3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11145548
If you actually think you are good at something without trying or training, please read this.

You probably have never ever been actually good at anything. I don't care what the fuck scientific field, sport, anything, literally no one is good at anything without dedication and training. If you haven't realized that you probably have never been truly good at anything.

sorry buddy but you are at the peak of mount stupid

>> No.11148621

>>11148266
No, I'm averagely at average competence, I already experienced mount stupid many times so I recognize now when my knowledge is lacking.
I just have to open up an old notebook with old drawings to be reminded of the dangers of dunning-kruger.
My OCDs demands I study all resources on the topic at hand, so I get to spot my mistakes and weaknesses.
If I were mount stupid I would have already been fired for failing my job. I actually spend more time fixing other people mistakes and managing our infrastructure. You do need to know what you're doing and be quick to respond to issues.
I don't even care about reaching the peak, most likely they'd try to throw even more work at me.

>> No.11148715

>>11145571
(In the US) apparently the top for "I can have a nicer life and be happier with more money) ends in the $85,000/yr range. After that people who were surveyed said it wasn't all that different, but they probably don't have the desires or goals that would require a lot of cash, like funding the research for ultraefficient desalination plants or something cool

>> No.11148720

>>11145548
>I have many skills and are
Nice English, "genius".

>> No.11148767

>>11145675
You're just an impulsive cunt who sees mediocre results in whatever he's doing and decides to switch to whatever else without becoming proficient at anything. That's really not impressive, retard.

>> No.11148805

>>11148720
"Tanks". I don't really bother proofreading my shitposts.
I derive pleasure from derailing threads and getting my daily dose of (You)s

>>11148767
If it makes you happier I completely suck at following directions, reading maps, teaching others and I have no gf.
There's power in mediocrity, especially when you're mediocre at almost everything. I can feel content that few men have a total sum of skills like mine.
I even have cool skills like triggering any emotion at command, lucid dreaming, doing somersaults.
You might say I'm very proficient at learning new skills. I absolutely am.
I think you should be objectively impressed.

>> No.11149715

>>11148805
>"Tanks". I don't really bother proofreading my shitposts.
>I derive pleasure from derailing threads and getting my daily dose of (You)s
based and high iq

>> No.11150717
File: 53 KB, 495x489, You and Shiitake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11145095
based Akane

>> No.11151830
File: 323 KB, 1589x2560, feeling good burns.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11145675
>>11148621
I have friend-diagnosed OCD too. You can help yourself. Read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

Pair it with the cognitive-behavioral therapy and meditation info from the following pasta:

>If you're suffering from depression, the book 'Feeling Good' by MD David Burns can help.
>It's about cognitive-behavioral therapy, a successful treatment for depression, dealing with negative thinking patterns.
>Link to PDF:
>http://www.mediafire.com/file/sdydy3n2mdpueck/%2528harper._health%2529_burns_david_d_-feeling_good__the_new_mood_therapy_revised_and_updated-avon_books_harper_%25282009%2529.pdf/file
>(if you don't want to use Mediafire, look for it on libgen.is - it's a good site for PDFs in general - browse/download at your own discretion).

>Also listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmDwl2-IZEk
>It's an audiobook of 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway' by Susan Jeffers, a self-help book on overcoming anxiety.

>You can also try some St. John's Wort (it's a plant) tea for immediate relief (I mix mine with Melissa for the calming effect).

>It might also be nice to learn to meditate, as it can relieve your mind of negative thoughts. nperov.com for learning materials.

>Or maybe you just have a vitamin D defficiency, see >>/sci/thread/S10221251 Go get some sun.

Avoid stress. I'm the most OCD when I'm stressed.

>> No.11151850

>>11145095
I like finance and even though I work in commercial banking, the most interesting aspects of it are private equity and hedge funds. The only problem is that unlike comfy jobs in banking, hedge funds and specifically quant funds have no work-life balance. Hedge funds will work you to death, and of course they will, they are handling real money. I still don't know if that is for me, even if the money is obviously amazing.

>> No.11151870

I know. The 'money doesn't buy happniess' mantra is only a saying to make broke and depressed people feel better about their miserable lives. Pretty sure if you won the jackpot lottery right now you would ecstatic beyond belief. To never have to worry bills, becoming homeless, costs of anything, getting a job, and just have total freedom to do whatever the fuck you want whenever you want.

>> No.11151921

>>11146624
Knowing stochastic processes isn't going to help him prove the strictness (or non-strictness) of the subset of non-deterministic polynomial time completing algorithms, known as P.

>> No.11151957
File: 522 KB, 1589x2560, feeling good burns2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11151870
If you're suffering from depression, the book 'Feeling Good' by MD David Burns can help.
It's about cognitive-behavioral therapy, a successful treatment for depression, dealing with negative thinking patterns.
Link to PDF:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sdydy3n2mdpueck/%2528harper._health%2529_burns_david_d_-feeling_good__the_new_mood_therapy_revised_and_updated-avon_books_harper_%25282009%2529.pdf/file
(if you don't want to use Mediafire, look for it on libgen.is - it's a good site for PDFs in general - browse/download at your own discretion).

Also listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmDwl2-IZEk
It's an audiobook of 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway' by Susan Jeffers, a self-help book on overcoming anxiety.

You can also try some St. John's Wort (it's a plant) tea for immediate relief (I mix mine with Melissa for the calming effect).

It might also be nice to learn to meditate, as it can relieve your mind of negative thoughts. nperov.com for learning materials.

Or maybe you just have a vitamin D defficiency, see >>/sci/thread/S10221251 Go get some sun.