[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 78 KB, 341x347, IMG_20191015_000721_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11079885 No.11079885 [Reply] [Original]

So there's a federal election in Canada today and some parties are opposing the "transnational pipeline" or whatever it's called.. I just call it the pipeline. Anyways what are the scientific pros and cons about this pipeline? Or is this more of a financial thing?

>> No.11079916

As a Canadian who has been following the election:

The trans mountain pipeline (there are a couple others that matter) was recently bought (nationalised) by the Liberal government to save it from cancellation.

Pros: We currently import oil in the east coast and export it in the west coast. Not ideal economically since we are losing both ways. In general (facts vary on this), pipelines are cleaner and less prone to spills than rail transit.
As a theoretical investment, it could make money for the government in the long run.
Cons:

Many environmentalists (including myself) think we shouldn't be helping the oil&gas industry in general and the government certainly shouldn't be blowing a couple $billion CAD on a pipeline. Also, many people (myself included) see it as a poor investment since in a low-carbon future it will likely be unused.

>> No.11079919

This thread was moved to >>>/pol/230610223