[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 575x512, punch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11073250 No.11073250 [Reply] [Original]

computer science is just as rigorous as any other scientific field. i won't sit idly and let you people insult the legacy of turing, church, von neumann and other greats who have contributed an extreme amount of intellectual wealth and uplifted the human condition.

yes the undergraduate level is in a sorry state but that's true of a lot of fields and represents the decline of academia as a whole rather than any issue specific to computer science itself

>> No.11073286

>>11073250
math is not science.

>> No.11073290

ah yes today i am going to investigate how to open excel

>> No.11073312

today i will fall for /sci/ memes

>> No.11073382

im an okay programmer. I'm quite good with C, Rust, Ada (SPARK), Haskell and Lisp.

but i'm an absolute stupid brainlet who can't understand basic maths.

i used to think any subject was easy if you were interested enough. i'm interested in maths but i can't even understand the basics.

i've spent days trying to understand 2nd principle induction and principle of inclusion-exclusion, but i still can't.

i'm sure these concepts are easy as hell to grasp, but as an omega brainlet, i can say learning programming and compsci requires less brains than math.

>> No.11073405

>>11073382
either your school syllabus is trash or you didn't pay attention in class.

>> No.11073414 [DELETED] 

>>11073405
School syllabus was trash, got 100% in my classes but I went to a shit school. No one in my family knows math. I can love and be interested in maths as much as I want.

It'll always take my slow brain ages to understand any simple concept.

>> No.11073418

>>11073405
i spend hours everyday trying to understand these concepts. read from multiple books and websites, watch videos but i still don't get it.

my prior education was really poor. no one in my family knows math. i can love math as much as i want but it'll always take me forever to understand simple concepts.

>> No.11073427

>>11073382
What confuses you? Notations.
Also down with the reddit spacing.

>> No.11073442

>>11073427
sorry about reddit spacing.
I understand what each notation means. I understand what they're trying to convey.

what i fail to understand is the entire concept and its proper application. i can recite what the principle, and how it works but i won't be able to apply it in any way.
e.g 2nd principle: steps are: base case (1), assume for 1 <= i <= k, prove for k+1. and i no longer know how to prove.

i fail to utilize the assumptions made to prove. and if the assumption is used, i know the difference between 1st principle. i'm sure i'll understand it eventually, but the entire process is abnormally slow.

>> No.11073447

>>11073250
It says nothing about the natural world tho. Is more a tech-engineering career than science.

>> No.11073452

>>11073418
Try starting again from the ground up, but really try to understand what's going on.
It could help to take different approaches to the same answer, be it numeric or geometric.
It's really important to get the foundations down before moving on to related topics.
Take your time, anon. You got this.

>> No.11073461

>>11073452
thanks fren! i will take ur advice and keep tryin!

>> No.11073462

>>11073447
It can be used as a means to more efficiently dissect and observe the natural world; any computer scientist can delve into other fields—related to the natural world or not—with enough willpower and intellectual vitality.
It's people who misunderstand Computer Science that fail at learning and teaching the subject, degrading its reputation as a whole.

>> No.11073470

>his entire field is about counting
Literal pre-schoolers and even animals can do that lmao