[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 6 KB, 250x201, cringe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11067440 No.11067440 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/ bros, I'm totally fucked and need a good math IA topic for my grade 12 math class.

http://web.mit.edu/sloan-auto-lab/research/beforeh2/files/IreneBerry_Thesis_February2010.pdf

what can I use from this?? How do I make a math project out of this data? pls help

>> No.11067468

>>11067440
>doing statistical analysis as your project
Not what I would recommend, it's really open-ended what you would do with it. But it could work with the help of a mentor. That's really what you need, ask the damn math teacher for advice.

The simplest kind of math project is probably just to write an exposition/summary, including proofs, of some not too hard, but snazzy math topic.
>markov chains
>discrete derivative
>p vs np, prove a SAT and a few other basic problems are NP-complete
>irrationality of pi or e (I forget which one is harder)
>straightedge and ruler constructions, characterized algebraically (maybe too advanced)
>modal logics
>or just dynamic modal logic as a model of computation
>various models of computation being equivalent

But in any case you'll need a teacher or whatever who's seen this shit before to help and guide you.

>> No.11067480

>>11067468
math teachers advice has been "do it on your own"

It should be statistically based, as its recommended and is easier. I might look at those topics, but I've already committed to the fuel consumption topic.

>> No.11067513

>>11067480
OK. In that case, yeah, start by plotting points amd see if you can spot any cool patterns. Literally plot any pair of x,y variables you want, maybe run regressions on it (i.e. line of best fit, quadratic of best fit). This is how you get familiar and comfortable with the data, and maybe formulate some workable hypothesis about it.

Given that your teacher gave you no specific advice on what kind of analysis to do, it's safe to stick to these pretty basic tools and it's not necessary to find any really exciting patterns. E.g. it would prpbably be ok to prove a few statements like, "newer cars are more efficient" and "japanese cars are for gays"

>> No.11067843
File: 92 KB, 777x652, cool zone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11067513
I have a BRZ

>> No.11068351

>>11067468
>prove SAT is NP-complete
anon... I don't think Cook-Levin theorem is on a 12th graders level...

>> No.11068366

>>11067440
just do some linear regression or some shit on the data, how hard can it be? You could also look into principal component analysis (PCA) if the data multi-dimensional. This would be definitely sufficient in terms of difficulty.

>> No.11068376

>>11068351
/sci/ likes to claim rudin is middle school. I don't know why you're expecting sense or consistency.