[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 2.01 MB, 260x260, 1570891044759.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11061056 No.11061056[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Should I cancel my schooling?

Hi. I've posted here before about my academic struggles and got good advice, but could use some more again.

I finally managed to overcome the classes I failed in high school with my biggest hurdle being chemistry. All classes were 89+ except for math and I was alright with that, not what I expected at 31, but I was content with it. I went to talk to the academic advisor again and he told me that the program I wanted(medical lab tech) would be going to high demand(competitive entrance marks) starting next year and that the waitlist would be reset. I asked what else I could do then and after about half an hour we landed on medical lab assistant which isn't high demand and starts November 2nd.

I'm really tired of working in kitchens and am not getting any younger, I really wanted medical lab tech, but waiting 2+ years to get in was out of the question. So I applied and got accepted into medical lab assistant, with my plan being to graduate from it next year, see if I like the work and if so, jump to cytology after or mlt in another place with more seats, and work as an mla to make some decent money while wrapping up the bigger program.

However as my start date draws nearer, I find that I'm having doubts about becoming an mla. I really don't like dealing with the public and I don't really see the income(~$23/hour) doing much for me. A few of my classes would carry over into mla or cytology, but not many. I don't know...I should have graduated in comp sci ages ago, but I really struggled with the concepts and it broke me because I loved electronics and computers, but couldn't do the actual science. I bring this up because I have one week to withdraw and get all my money back, and I don't see mla being worth going 9k into debt, when it has such little carry over potential. My kitchen job I make $21/hour...

>> No.11061058

I know it's not really /sci/ related, but you guys have helped me get to this pint and I really could use some advice please. I'm feeling depressed about this all for many reasons(feeling incompetent, stuck doing kitchen work, potential student loan debt, etc). I like cooking and that's how I ended up on restaurant work, many have suggested I open my own place or do catering, but...I just want something that'll let me have a family and cone home at a reasonable time. And I know for a fact that based on what my parents say, nobody back home would respect me coming in Canada. Anyway.

>> No.11061208

>>11061056
Idk what to tell you, OP. I'm not in a position to tell you what to do with your life and I doubt anyone else here is either. I'd tell you to just do what you want to do, and try not to worry about your age, family and income too much. Obviously, don't be stupid with your money, but if you really want to be a medical lab tech, and you have the capability to do so, I don't see why you wouldn't. Try finding out what path you can take that will cost you the least and be the best for you. If money really is an issue, then it's up to you to determine if you can make it happen with the debt I guess.

I dont know enough about your situation, but you should really just do what you want to do and not worry about what your parents or other people will think.