[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 350 KB, 700x700, 1554917683416.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10961958 No.10961958 [Reply] [Original]

why do people say reality is really just information? what is information? will this unify physics?

>> No.10961959

Would you say that disattaching yourself from the society while referring to yourself as to "the people" is good?

>> No.10961965

>>10961959
no, its a semantic regularity that is found in certain languages, it has no moral value to it.
And no language can, because its fundamentally a concept mapping mechanism. That if youre a dualist.

>> No.10962017

>>10961965

Why would you want to think that somebody wants to make you look stupid on purpose?

>> No.10962038

Would you say that the world consists of people who want to be understood and of people who have to be understood and would you say of yourself that you want to be understood by others, while wanting to define this as passivity while saying that it would be a bad thing and would it mean to you that you attach the attribute of being a "passive bitch" to yourself solely by this implication which you see as omnivalid and would you handle according to these definitions and implications?

>> No.10962069

https://www.nature.com/news/2010/101114/full/news.2010.606.html

>> No.10962074

>>10961958
Reality is what we experience/know/etc. What is there to experience/know is the information we get from the universe.I made a distinction here. Reality and the universe. Reality is what we experience. There is nothing besides reality for us. The universe is merely an abstraction gleaned from the information we get in our reality.

In otherwords, its just a fancy way of saying "we are what we think" ala Buddha.

>We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world
-t Dhammapada

>> No.10962078

they are retards who dont know black holes erase information

>> No.10962082

>>10962078
>stuck in 1950s physics
kek

>> No.10962696

>>10962082

Do you currently assume that a prayer would be the right thing to write on an anonymous forum about science?

>> No.10962756

>>10962017
I dont think that, and if I did, that does not imply that i would think it was being done with some intent. simple logic.

>> No.10962761

>>10962756

Why would you think you would be able to redefine definitions? Are you somebody very important and do you believe to be satan or a demon? Do you sometimes feel like everybody in the world except for you would handle according to completely different rules and would you say that it would pose a disadvantage to you which you would carry anywhere, anytime?
Are you often feeling like being directly adressed while your identity would remain indeterminable and is this connected to your belief of carrying a disadvantage towards the whole world? Are you often intending on harming others because of the assumption they would conspire against you and use your disadvantage to their own favor? Would you say that praying on 4chan is a way of spending time which could be recognized as healthy and something that would make sense? Do you think the world would hate you in case you would pray on 4chan and would you be ready to pray on 4chan if you would believe that it would harm somebody?

>> No.10962791

>>10962761
>Why would you think you would be able to redefine definitions?
i dont and i didnt
>Are you somebody very important and do you believe to be satan or a demon?
i am important in that i am all i percieve as an "I"
>Do you sometimes feel like everybody in the world except for you would handle according to completely different rules and would you say that it would pose a disadvantage to you which you would carry anywhere, anytime?
sometimes, yes. I have social anxiety and paranoia all the time
>Are you often feeling like being directly adressed while your identity would remain indeterminable and is this connected to your belief of carrying a disadvantage towards the whole world?
yes, but i realize this is my paranoia
>Are you often intending on harming others because of the assumption they would conspire against you and use your disadvantage to their own favor?
no, because i realize that that kind of thought is paranoia or a mental illness
>Would you say that praying on 4chan is a way of spending time which could be recognized as healthy and something that would make sense?
i dont pray on fourchan, but this place is not healthy to be on alot of the time, id rather be learning but it is an addiction
>Do you think the world would hate you in case you would pray on 4chan and would you be ready to pray on 4chan if you would believe that it would harm somebody?
i dont understand the question, what do you mean by "pray on 4chan"?

>> No.10962798

>>10962078
Law of Informatic Conservation: Information cannot be created nor destroyed

Invented by Plato

>> No.10962805

>>10962791

Where do you think this information would finally pass and which function would it have subsequently? Do you think that aliens are reading what you're posting and do these aliens laugh about you or do these aliens have feelings not possible to define for a human being for you? Are you currently in love with extraterrestials which you would like to attract by praying to these on 4chan? Is a Chinese underground government currently spying on you and does this government intercept your posts in order to tell random people about your secrets?

>> No.10963095

>>10962074
>Reality is what we experience/know/etc.
Shouldn't reality be objective? It isn't dependent upon my senses or experience. The moon still exists even if I'm blind and will never see it.

>> No.10963112

>>10963095
No one knows if its objective. We can only hope that our shared culture sees the same objective universe. Or we could all be sharing the same delusion.

>> No.10963119

Information fundamentally is all which distinguishes one entity from another. It can pertain to both the general nature/essence, and the particular state/characteristics of a thing. Our observation of information allows us to distinguish entities and reduce our uncertainty, but information exists independently of observation. The whole history of the Universe has been imprinted in its present state as information before the first word was spoken by a human.

>> No.10963175

>>10963112
>No one knows if its objective. We can only hope that our shared culture sees the same objective universe. Or we could all be sharing the same delusion.

What someone claims to know is not particularly relevant. Whether reality is objective or not is a simple matter of defining our terms. This way our delusions have no effect.

Reality = that which exists
Objective = independent of any observer

>Information fundamentally is all which distinguishes one entity from another. It can pertain to both the general nature/essence, and the particular state/characteristics of a thing. Our observation of information allows us to distinguish entities and reduce our uncertainty, but information exists independently of observation. The whole history of the Universe has been imprinted in its present state as information before the first word was spoken by a human.

Information is a concept that is completely subjective and can't be said to exist in any meaningful sense. I can look at scratches on a page that mean absolutely nothing, but hand that same page to another person who will then read an essay.

>> No.10963245

>>10963175
>Information is a concept that is completely subjective and can't be said to exist in any meaningful sense. I can look at scratches on a page that mean absolutely nothing, but hand that same page to another person who will then read an essay.
Different systems can subjectively use and interpret information differently, that doesn't preclude there being objective information. A neutrino has no interaction with the charge information of an electron, while a proton will be coupled to this information. In your example, the paper has objective scratch positions and depths, and an objective fiber structure. When different people look at the same scratches, they interact with roughly the same objective information (change in frequency of light with visual angle, with some change due to different head positions and different eye photoreceptors), but the neurons carry, propagate, and dissipate this information very differently. That's where the subjective human sense of "information" comes into play, as subjective knowledge and reduction of uncertainty that I mentioned.