Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Support us on Patreon!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 48 KB, 634x429, mars-shell2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10886142 No.10886142 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

There was life on Mars. The sooner you accept it, the sooner NASA can stop lying about it.

>> No.10886150
File: 142 KB, 1336x1076, 0551MR0022330510303884E01_DXXX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10886150

>>10886142
http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/image/00551/0551MR0022330510303884E01_DXXX.html

>> No.10886151

>>10886142
OK tell me more because the pic you posted does not seem relevant to your point. I live by the sea and no sea shells look like that.

>> No.10886153

>>10886142
>be NASA
>barely had enough budget and support to carry on after Apollo
>send a small probe to Mars
>should've been a manned mission, but oh well, no one cares about space anymore
>probe finds signs of life on Mars
>not just microbes but signs of complex multi-cellular life
>this is literally world-view altering
>everyone would be ecstatic
>support for us would skyrocket, maybe even higher than during Apollo
>might make Americans actually care about space again
>decide to hide all evidence because lol
Yeah, makes perfect sense that NASA would hide that.

>> No.10886154
File: 178 KB, 1548x544, 2shells.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10886154

>>10886142

>> No.10886161

>>10886151
Hollow, thin walls with a spiral. That ain't a rock

>> No.10886200

>>10886142
Not sure what incentive NASA would have to hide extraterrestrial life.

If they had a confirmed find of life outside Earth it would likely spawn a massive public interest in space exploration, resulting in unthinkable increases to NASA funding

>> No.10886203

>>10886161
>Hollow, thin walls with a spiral.
How can you possibly say that this is true when the image doesn't have the resolution to support your claims?

>> No.10886205
File: 42 KB, 600x600, jew_basic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10886205

>>10886200
>massive increase in funding

>> No.10886223

>>10886161
>>10886203
This sums up the thread. The reason we haven't found evidence of past or current life on mars is because we sent some retarded robots instead of a crew of hoomans.

There is microbiota that survives in lava ffs. You simply cannot expect me to believe that none of it ever made it onto bodies other than the earth.

Retarded robots aren't going to find anything.

>> No.10886227

>>10886223
When we send humans to mars we will find out the only life on mars came with the humans.

>> No.10886262

>>10886227
I don't subscribe to the belief that life originated on earth. I think it is much more likely to have been created in exotic conditions on a moon or comet and has then spread from there. Probably not even in this solar system.

I expect cellular life to be common. Complex life should be much less common. There are still places where we could expect to find it though.

>> No.10886272

>>10886142
If some other country ever gets a lander to the moon, they should land it right where Niel Armstrong supposedly landed to see if there's footprints out there.

>> No.10886287

>>10886272
Why? Moon hoaxers would just claim that the new landing is a part of the conspiracy too.

>> No.10886311

>>10886262
Just curious. Do you hear yourself when you say shit like that? Or are you blissfully unaware of your own stupidity?

>> No.10886339

>>10886153
Maybe they never went to Mars. Maybe the pics are from Earth.

>> No.10886410

>>10886311
Very convincing argument. I have noticed your opinion. Enjoy the rest of your day.

>> No.10886446

>>10886339

what would be the point of that? kind of hard to fake transmissions from mars

>> No.10886469

>>10886262
>I don't subscribe to the belief that life originated on earth.
This is peak pseudo-scientific hipsterism.

>> No.10886498

>>10886154
That actually looks more like pottery with pieces broken out of it.

>> No.10886516

>>10886227
WOW you must really fucking love science.
honestly brainlets don't deserve to know science.

>> No.10886533

>>10886469
I could claim the same of the opinion that life originated on earth.

Sometimes I wonder if you people even know what tholins are. Please pipe down unless you understand what you are talking about.

>> No.10886536

>>10886311
Kill yourself

>> No.10886540

>>10886533
>I could claim the same of the opinion that life originated on earth.
It just makes more sense that a thing started where it's at and not across the vast nothingness that is space.

>> No.10886563

>>10886540
I disagree. My opinion is that the current understanding is a guided thought process stemming from christianity.

Not sure why as tholin essentially means mud. Which is biblically what we were supposedly made from.

I could see precursors to life arriving here and then making the final combinations once exposed to the environment of early earth.

>> No.10886570

>>10886563
>My opinion
>I could see
I'm starting to hate you.

>> No.10886578

>>10886570
Whatever man. All the evidence you "life originated on earth" people have is bible passages.

At least I'm honest that this is all nothing but speculation and theory right now.

You pretentious twat.

>> No.10886583

>>10886578
>All the evidence you "life originated on earth" people have is bible passages.
Is this some sort of sick joke?

>> No.10886655

>>10886583
By my pop sci understanding, we have yet to determine how the primordial goo actually became life. The question for me though is what is more plausible -
That life came about here on its own or that whatever spark was needed originated somewhere else. The former implies life is common. The latter implies the universe isn't so big. In my opinion it seems more plausible, given that we have found organic material, and given that there is a full universe of planets and billions of years, or at least almost as plausible that part of us is alien. If that were the case it'd certainly be interesting to wonder where we really came from. Ultimately it's really not an idea I've invested more than a moment's thoughts on so call me retarded if you'd like but it seems your only reason to believe is we are here so we are from here and that's pretty weak

>> No.10886660

>>10886583
Okay. There is life on earth. So far we have not found any elsewhere. Occams razor blah blah.

I don't buy it. Not without proof. It also seems that most of the required ingredients could be sourced more easily in space.

With exposure to:
Radiation
Temperature variation
Liquid water (at times)
Chemicals
>tholins

If anything earth conditions were too stable for life to form. They were however ideal for life to thrive.

>> No.10887086
File: 456 KB, 582x582, 1564780155711.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10887086

>>10886142
>half the schizos say, "NASA lies! Mars photos are all fakes!"
>other half of schizos say, "NASA lies! There's alien life in Mars photos and NASA is covering it up!"

Which is it schizos?

>> No.10888184

>>10886153
The government's function is not to insight panic or disorder, nor throw religious institutions into chaos.

>> No.10888194
File: 388 KB, 1520x1140, 0844MR0037530350500987E01e2_DXXX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10888194

>>10886498
Here's what could be some busted up statues

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/image/00844/0844MR0037530350500987E01_DXXX.html

>> No.10888199

>>10886200
There are people who believe the earth is flat because of religion. There's people who believe UFO's and grays are demons. Releasing proof of a second genesis would cause major disruptions, something the government does not do on purpose.

>> No.10888201

>>10886272
The Russians watched and monitored the trip. Back then, they wouldn't be shy to point out fraud.

>> No.10888205
File: 113 KB, 1124x1000, 0837MR0036770050500739E01e2_DXXX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10888205

>>10888194
http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/image/00837/0837MR0036770050500739E01_DXXX.html

>> No.10888211
File: 116 KB, 800x614, Nov 18, 1956 - We will bury you - AP story-8x6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10888211

>>10888201
>inb4 the Soviets didn't want to cause any drama
>look at pic related
If anything, the Soviets were drama queens internationally.

>> No.10888215
File: 111 KB, 988x996, 1408MR0068970210702159E01e2_DXXX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10888215

>>10888205
Then there's this
http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MSL/image/01408/1408MR0068970210702159E01_DXXX.html

>> No.10888227

>>10888194
>>10888205
>>10888215
wind + sand = erosion

>> No.10888950

>>10888211
You know it's serious when Israel leaves the room.

>> No.10888991

>>10888184
This is such a fucking meme lol

>> No.10889964

The idea that the discovery of non-intelligent life would cause any sort of great religious disruption is just silly; most major religious leaders in the first world would just tell their followers "well, God must have put some life on Mars too; He can create life wherever He wants too" and people would be fine. You would get some fringe believers calling them fake & gay, but they would no worse than the people who claim dinosaur fossils are a trick by the devil; some Muslims might claim they are fakes that further prove that the US is the Great Satan, but it is not lot they don't do that anyways.

Now, the discovery of another intelligent species, with its own religious (or lack thereof) beliefs, would have dramatic impact on people's religious beliefs - it would cause some people to question their own beliefs, some people would try to convert the aliens to our beliefs, some people would want to convert to the alien religion, and so on.

>> No.10890065

>>10888194
Statues of what? Tentacle monsters?

>> No.10890088

>>10886410
So the latter. It seemed so. Thank you, anon.

>> No.10890464
File: 32 KB, 323x322, troll thread posting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10890464

>> No.10890533

>>10890088
I pity you. Your life must be a real struggle. The cognitive dissonance created by the conflict between your religious beliefs and hard science must be causing you a great deal of distress.

So much so that you haven't even read or considered any of the numerous posts supporting my opinion. While your argument is just "your stoopid". Which honestly just makes you look stupid.

I hear the psalms are a good book to find solace and comfort. Please go there and don't come back. This is a science board.

>>>\x\ is that way

>> No.10892620
File: 115 KB, 1008x724, 0746MR0032060000403386E01e1_DXXX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10892620

>>10890065
>Tentacle monsters?
I found that too

>> No.10892633

>>10886223
>There is microbiota that survives in lava ffs.
Source?

>> No.10893586
File: 157 KB, 450x383, 3_f98f6826474a42edb797e5facf4eeab3image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10893586

>>10892633
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermophile

I watched a doco on the telly in the nineties you know. This guy tied his geology hammer to a piece of wire, threw it down into a stream of flowing lava and pulled it up. Once it cooled he was looking through the pieces for these extremophiles. This is old, old news.

Do your own research. I linked a wikipedia page. Did you even fucking try google?

>> No.10893687

>>10892633
There are reasons why we encourage others to seek answers themselves without using links.

You do not need to understand why it is this way. It is another thing you can find yourself.

>> No.10893714

I would be more surprised if there arent (living) bacteria on Mars. I also wouldnt be surprised that there have been primitive multicellular lifeforms on Mars when it still had sizeable oceans, relatively thick atmosphere and a still working magnetosphere. Fossils of such creatures should still be present in former wet area's (ocean/lake/riverbeds).

But for this complex undertaking of searching for these fossils, you'd need a manned expedition.

>> No.10894049

No

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action