[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 238 KB, 1214x910, IMG_0349.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10847544 No.10847544 [Reply] [Original]

I've been hearing that older siblings tend to me more intelligent than younger ones a lot recently and wanted to know if this is actually true. I know the eldest siblings are usually more responsible and "wise" but is there an actual intelligence difference?

>> No.10847546

>>10847544
It is because parents make less mistakes with the second child you fucking retard.

>> No.10847569

>>10847544
First born magic, blame the bible.

>> No.10847789

>>10847544
I've read that it's true, but there's no clear explanation.

My guess would be the older child is smarter because the parents are younger.

>> No.10847792

>>10847544
Are you seriously retarded? Older siblings have more years of experience and schooling if they weren't smarter it would be a fucking problem.

>> No.10847816

>>10847544
Funny thing. Teaching what you've learned helps you learn what you are teaching. Older siblings start teaching their younger siblings.

>> No.10848202

>>10847544
>1st born children tend to be smarter.
>>10847546
>It is because parents make LESS mistakes with the 2nd child you fucking retard.

TIL being more intelligent is the product of parental mistakes.

>> No.10848203

>>10847792
>Are you seriously retarded? Older siblings have more years of experience and schooling if they weren't smarter it would be a fucking problem.
I assumed that they were controlling for this by comparing IQ tests taken at the same age for both kids at different times.

>> No.10848205

>>10848203
>I assumed that they were controlling for this by comparing IQ tests taken at the same age for both kids at different times.
Good thing you provided no actual citations so your presumption can just go fuck itself.

>> No.10848208

>>10848205
I'm not OP. Chill out. :|
The thread is a question rather than an assertion anyway.

>> No.10848223

>>10848208
It's like asking if older siblings can reach higher places than younger siblings. Yeah for a while but not long term.

>> No.10848239

Not sure with my dad's family. My dad is the oldest of three siblings, but his younger brother (middle child) is clearly more smarter......I would estimate by 10 to 20 IQ points. My dad's still pretty smart though, but not as smart as my uncle. But then again, his family could be outliers in the data.

>> No.10848249

>>10847544
They are smarter for obvious reasons.
A few that come to mind:
- first born are born to younger and more healthier parents thereby reducing probability of difficulties in child birth that can impact on IQ
- First born are paid more attention by parents during early crucial stages of development (0-3 years old) as they only have one child.
-First borne get more social interaction with parents which is known to boost IQ.

It makes sense that first horns would be smarter. Its optimal that birth occurs while the parents are still young and healthy. In caveman times no one was even having children after the age of 30 as most died young.

>> No.10848390

>>10847544
Maybe only because they are older, but it's a very small difference that will be utterly dwarfed by difference in education.

>> No.10848422

I've known many three child families where the first child is the brightest, the second is average, and the third is a failure to launch type. Almost every family with three kids falls into this pattern.

>> No.10848645

>>10847544
I'm the youngest, my mother had me in her late thirties, and I'm definitely the smartest and most successful one.

But I was extremely introverted that they though I was autistic during my childhood, and I used my autism towards learning science.

But both my older brothers are definitely more charismatic than me

>> No.10848647

>>10847544
First born gets a lot of attention and care.

>> No.10848659

>>10847789
It's because the first born child got more attention. Once the second got born the amount of attention was divided.

>> No.10848717

>>10848239
>I would estimate by 10 to 20 IQ points
You're retarded. Get out of this board.

>> No.10848975

>>10848645
This except I'm second youngest of 5

>> No.10848988

>>10847544
>I know the eldest siblings are usually more responsible and "wise" but is there an actual intelligence difference?
You probably don't.

Google for some studies and read them, if none exist the question has no scientific answer yet.

>> No.10849671

>>10847544
I think so. But I think there are reflections when you are siblings. And I think it’s safe to assume some aspects are hereditary. You have to look at the fingers on a hand and realize they are all different for a reason. Parents ages are also calculated into this factor. I have matrilineal siblings and patrilineal. I have a sibling that believes if he is not the first no one should have it. Perhaps he glorifies his success but he is the poorest one. Because my siblings on paternal side are wealthier because dad let them do anything without restrictions ofcourse he was the type to max everything out to explain a lesson. If you liked something he’d give it in an extreme measure to the point you hated it. I have another one with no sense of boundary means if another of his siblings or step siblings inherited something it’s theirs right away by default. Then there is another sibling who believes everyone must go through the emotional discomfort he experienced to see well. Maybe 2 whom are of the same coin however one is financial and the other emotional. Then there are several who are the screw everything type. The idea is that between siblings there will always be an emotional barrier. That will never be contested because it’s the competition itself. However there is always the sibling whom they like to use for the expense or a bin. it’s your situation not ours everyone complain to so and so. So you’ll realize there is always a sibling hierarchy.

>> No.10849700

Well, one explanation could be that the mothers are simply older when the younger children are born, thus raising the chance of birth defects and lowering the overall... "quality" of the child

>> No.10849726

>>10849671
There is nothing civil about siblings. What makes older siblings smart is just the twist that they are old enough to know what you’ve never experienced. So they like to maintain their younger siblings blind. For whatever gain the could get. Emotional or financial. One of my wealthy friends fathers had nothing but boys basically left only one beneficiary. His first female grandchild. The will was like a backwards pass for days. So all the women are claiming wrongful entitlement. Claiming to be sisters or having conceived him daughters.

>> No.10849798

>>10849671
>>10849726
I like my siblings and they like me, we hang out a lot and say I love you before we leave even as adults. You guys are whack.

>> No.10849801

>>10849726
The truth is no one measures money and everyone measures land. Money is just a makeshift gate for possession. Now, there are communist states, however, many choose to be communist because lives are not worth precious material if they can replenish their resources. You go to capitalist nations for effort. Because that’s all that’s measured in a capitalist society, effort without the discourage of it having no value. Because they are bound in a terrain that may have resources however the terrain doesn’t form useful environments for mass production of commodities. So those two will never look eye to eye. Nor people are encouraged to go because it holds founding ethnic groups in custody. If you break it being an outsider than I have to extract the same from your race’s communist state. Things will never break even. I’ll even let you witness it with pride and dignity as you have made other peoples suffer. There’s a point to this rule book.

>> No.10849848

>>10848249
Lmao, what are the first horns?

>> No.10849932
File: 906 KB, 2544x4000, 1547942917203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10847544
>tend to me more intelligent than younger ones
pffffffftttttttttttTTTTTTTTTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA
>eldest siblings are usually more responsible and "wise"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH NONONONONONONONOONONONON

>> No.10849942

>>10847544
I can't name the study off the top of my head but there is one that shows that it isn't really older siblings but siblings who have a younger sibling that are smarter. This is because they end up teaching the younger sibling which reinforces knowledge. The effect holds for every sibling position, ie: oldest middle youngest vs oldest youngest. all things held equal the middle child from the first set will be smarter than the youngest child from the second set because they have to teach a younger child. The effect also translates to children that teach their parents. Eg. if you have parents whose don't speak english and you are constantly translating/ teaching them bits of english, your english becomes very good. I'm not sure about wisdom and responsibility though.

>> No.10849969

>>10847544

I'm the youngest and I make both of my siblings, sister and brother, look like monkeys when it comes to intelligence. If it's true in general I've never seen evidence for it.