[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 7 KB, 251x251, 1295052778637s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10795437 No.10795437 [Reply] [Original]

don't study stem. physics and mechanical engineering double major here. stem shortage is a meme. you will be severely underpaid due to no overtime payments(salary agreements). work is high stress because of unreasonable deadlines, so you have to pull overtime to finish stuff and you don't get paid for those. if you can't finish it you get bullied & fired and replaced.

there is no shortage of stem people either. the only shortage is for 5+ year experienced STEM people who wouldn't work for scraps. if you want a real salary good luck getting a job.

study business,finance,law or medicine instead of STEM. all of them will pay better unless you are really a dumbass. people often compare average salaries of a "business" major and an "engineer" but if you are smart enough to be an "average" engineer than you'll be in top 10% of business majors anyway. most people seem to overlook that.

i think STEM has the lowest ROI for any degree. people compare 4 years to 4 years as in investment(as if studying STEM and non STEM requires the same effort) but in STEM you grind your ass to get your degree while non-STEM people do fuckall and enjoy their lives and at the end of the day the salary difference(speaking for us) is around 20000~ / yr.(max). but the amount of stress and autism you endure is worth way more than 20000$.

dont fucking study stem. its horrible.

>> No.10795613

That's all fine and dandy, but STEM people can learn business skills without paying out the ass for school. It's not like you need a degree in business to start a business anyway.

The job market sucks for everyone. If you think it's bad for you with a mech eng degree, imagine what it looks like for the naive aspiring sociology professor.

People want a path where no creativity is necessary to succeed. Obviously, good job creators are in high demand nowadays, seeing that our job prospects are often shitty unless we are willing to compete like beasts for some mediocre STEM Phd.

>> No.10795681

>>10795613
This, Stem people can learn in their own time and will have more relevant skills for innovation and invention. Rather than the business graduate who only 'knows' how to 'manage'.

>> No.10795752

>>10795437
just sell your soul and get into marketing
the money is preddy gud

>> No.10795773

>>10795613
>That's all fine and dandy, but STEM people can learn business skills without paying out the ass for school. It's not like you need a degree in business to start a business anyway.

you also don't need a degree to be an engineer just pick up couple of books bro.

real life doesn't work like that. i am not talking about "job market" i am talking about the jobs themselves. STEM jobs are plenty, so its easy to get job but all those jobs have 10 times the stress of a normal wagie job, and pay around 1.5 x as much

>>10795681

cope. i don't see any STEMdrones running companies unless it is a tech company they either founded or entered early and did a MBA

>> No.10795810

>>10795437
ok i wont

>> No.10795874

>>10795437
>study law
lmao

>> No.10795899

I feel what you're saying. Facing the similar situation. People say there are so many jobs in IT, but I am searching for a decent job for more than 2 months now, all I got was some very very low paying job offers despite knowing more than the interviewer Software Engineer. Everyone wants 5+ years of experience and no one is hiring college graduates, even if the graduate is more talented than the 5+ years engineer they are searching. I have a Bachelor's in Computer Science and Engineering. And I was the best programmer in my school and college.

If anyone ask me whether to study STEM or not, I wouldn't suggest it, especially CS.

>> No.10795902

>>10795899
>all I got was some very very low paying job offers
>Everyone wants 5+ years of experience and no one is hiring college graduates
You're supposed to take the low-paying job to get experience. Do you expect to get paid like a senior engineer straight out of college, you arrogant fuck? Nobody cares about your college coding experiences and if you got better grades than your braindead colleagues. Real job experience is much different.

>> No.10795908

>>10795773
>cope. i don't see any STEMdrones running companies unless it is a tech company they either founded or entered early and did a MBA
It's not as bad as it used to be, but only marginally.

>> No.10795983

>>10795902
Am I also supposed to suck them every day?

>Real job experience is much different.

I have coded my own game engine from scratch in C++.
THERE'S NOTHING MORE COMPLICATED THEY ARE GOING TO ASK ME TO CODE.

Why do I take 3.5 shekels when the person next to me is getting minimum 6 shekels for the same job, just because he took 3+ years to learn what I already know?

>> No.10796016

>>10795983
Cope harder and stay jobless or grit your teeth like the rest of us, shithead.

>> No.10796043

>>10795983
It's not about coding, it's about establishing that you're mature, able to handle a work environment, and that you're not socially retarded. And you're failing that test

>> No.10796046

Requiring experience is an employer's lazy way of cutting out most of the application pool. Don't want to invest in finding a good candidate. Don't want to invest in training the candidate.

>> No.10796068

>>10796016
Keep sucking. You are the reason the industry is so fucked up.

>> No.10796075

>>10796043
I'm socially awkward, that is the reason I choose this career so that I don't have to deal with people all day. And I'm sure many of the best programmers choose computers for the same reason. Who the hell introduced social fuckrey to CS?

>> No.10796079

>>10796075
Nobody in industry wants to hire an awkward fuck who can't present his work or talk to his boss properly. You should have stayed in academia with the rest of the autists.

>> No.10796237

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/how-why-government-universities-industry-create-domestic-labor-shortages-of-scientists-high-tech-workers

>> No.10796254

I think it depends moreso on the university. If you were to study at a well known university, the transferable skills from either degree would make you employable- while if you studied stem at a no-name sort of place, it'd probably be more useful than a business or finance degree, since completing any sort of stem course proves you at least have some knowledge.

>> No.10796346

>>10796079
>this

You don't have to be the king of charisma, but it's expected that you will be able to handle normal social interactions without spilling your spaghetti.

>>10795437
>law

law is overfilled at the moment and not worth the exorbitant costs to get in unless you get hired by a big law firm or are able to graduate for little costs by receiving a generous financial aid package from one of the lower-rated law schools.

>> No.10796360

Do good in actuary tests and find entry job from there. You need a good knowledge of mathematics, so stem education is not total waste. The pay is good. Better than a bizfag, at least you'll learn some technical shit.

>> No.10796774

This thread was moved to >>>/adv/21112187