[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 2.46 MB, 3381x2540, Ergo-Proxy-Key-Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10783455 No.10783455 [Reply] [Original]

Is highly developed emotional control and dissociative ability a bad thing? Will it ultimately destroy you from within?

What is happening physically during this process?

>> No.10783498

>>10783455
I guess it depends on your definition for "highly developed."
Pseudobulbar affect is the opposite of emotional control where people with neurological diseases have uncontrollable emotional outbursts. You also mentioned:
>dissociative ability
And the main treatment for pseudobulbar affect is a combination of DXM and quinidine, with DXM being an NMDA antagonist. NMDA antagonism is how dissociative drugs in general work, although the dose for PBA treatment is much lower than the dose people typically use recreationally.

>> No.10783548
File: 684 KB, 700x921, 37249824_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10783498
Highly developed in the sense that there's a fine grained filtration, redirection, and translation system for the "stream of thought" that reaches full awareness. The ability to ignore or distort sensory input of all kinds. Essentially living in a deconstructed mental state in general outside one's own body, or having multiple "bodies".

Smoking weed, which I only did once or twice, separated me from the stream of my thoughts and I was only able to watch them go by. I realized then the amount of control I was automatically exerting over them at all times otherwise. I would regress to childhood, and feel like I was around 5 or so, and then I'd get stuck in these memories. Just kind of dumped there... with no working faculties to leave. Maybe I am one of those hardened damaged cowards, but I didn't like it, and didn't do it again.

There is the observation that emotional suppression, if not properly redirected, eventually causes a person to "break down". What underlying machinery is being strained to cause this clearly active process to not continue indefinitely regardless of external inputs? It clearly has overhead. It's active. It takes energy. Is it just lots of... avoiding the path of least resistance pumping ions around? Exhaustion of neurotransmitter synthesis? Point is, the brain doesn't ever structurally adapt. The only thing that doesn't seem to be an active process is depersonalization / derealization, or "splitting the mind". This takes time and energy to get out of.

>> No.10783575

>>10783455
No, not necessarily, the same way it is not a bad thing to be too healthy or to have too strong of an immune system. The challenge remaining for you is to determine when it is appropriate to apply reason and to what level.

>> No.10784164
File: 1.89 MB, 1920x1080, 00002.m2ts_snapshot_00.15.46_[2015.01.21_08.14.23].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump.