[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 18 KB, 509x411, 1559960079278.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10713478 No.10713478 [Reply] [Original]

Whats some good advice on studying better? Whenever I try and learn a new sibject I just end up feeling so overwhelmed with information

>> No.10713510

>>10713478
adderall

>> No.10713522

>>10713478
stop masturbating

>> No.10713526

>>10713510
I have ADHD. So, yeah :( any fucking "you dont need meds, you just need exercise and discipline" arguments against medical assistance are trash.

>> No.10713541

>>10713522
Why would that help?

>> No.10713553

>>10713541
It is literally a complete waste of time and energy. Stop spilling your seed for absolutely no reason and spend your energy on more important things.

>> No.10713583

Watch what the top students do. Learn their tactics. do the same thing.

>> No.10713615

>>10713553
this speaks to me, unfortunately my adderall and vyanse make me a horny motherfucker

>> No.10714972

>>10713478
Do it in a way that interests you.

I read a sentence every time I killed someone in GTA once.

>> No.10715048

>>10713478
Depends on the field. What are you trying to study?

>> No.10715070

Understand how your brain operates when it comes to retaining information and memory!

3 part system.
Short term memory.
Long term memory.
Retention rate of memory and transfer from short to long term memory! Which is achieved by relating new information with already well established and memorized information, using well established memory related as a triger or a hint to help recall newer info and embed it quicker to your long term memory!

>> No.10715094

>>10713478
Step 1: Read the material, even if you are only getting a superficial understanding of what you are looking at. Try to look at the equations, charts, etc., but this time around the chapter or section is pretty much inconsequential to your actual learning. Do not stress or overwhelm yourself in this part of the process.

Step 2: Take notes, and use these notes for reflection. Take the time to just 'reflect' on this stuff, kind of like how a monk mediates. Spend 20-30 minutes each day with your notes and a cup of coffee or tea just perusing what you wrote down. See if what you had written down in your notes matches to what you might have read or retained while reading the material in
Step 1.

Step 3: Read more often, ahead of the lectures. Now that you might have an idea of what you are looking into subject-wise & conceptually, begin to dig deeper into your reading materials. Look at youtube videos, even if you miss your mark and nobody has published anything relevant. Ask your professor or find other reading materials that aren't assigned in your syllabus. Read the chapters again and you will find out that your brain will already begin to connect the dots between what is in front of your face and what is in your mind. This is where you begin to say "eureka!", and you'll begin to develop an interest.

This is for those who are in school/college, but this can be applied to pretty much anything. Just don't force yourself to think that you'll get anything your first time around, and be flexible.

>> No.10715095

>>10713583
This. Just stalk all the people who got an A on their exams to observe their habits.

>> No.10715217
File: 40 KB, 300x250, mTONDnEzy5-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10713478
If you are feeling overwhelmed, break the subject or challenge at hand into smaller pieces. For Example: don't think "I need to learn this chapter of the textbook on integrals". Think "I need to learn integration by parts".
This is the basic strategy/abstraction by which all great minds approach tasks that are daunting for any single individual, even a genius.

>> No.10715224

>I just end up feeling so overwhelmed with information

GOOD!!!

The brain can adapt itself (neuroplasticity) and grow stronger and it does this the best/most when your challenge yourself with topics that leave you feeling overwhelmed. Give it time, keep working at it. Take as many breaks as you need but do try to push yourself. Pomodoro technique suggests a break every 25 minutes but if you need more take breaks more often.
On the other hand, if you're feeling overwhelmed because of other shit in your life that's sapping your mental energy, then maybe you need to deal with that in order to study better.