[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 141 KB, 971x565, yb6gyce1mqq01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10687810 No.10687810 [Reply] [Original]

Alright lads, I dropped out from my philosophy major after realizing I would likely end up homeless if I kept following that path and I have decided to try getting into a STEM field before I'm way too old for this shit. I was wondering if someone could clear up what I can actually work in with each degree so I don't regret my choice later.

I was thinking about picking up Computer Sciences because I like logic and math, and programming my own software sounds like it could fun. Is this actually a good degree to get or just a meme? Other options I thought about would be
>Mathematics
But I don't know what a mathematician actually does and I'm afraid I might be too brainlet to finish it.
>Physics
Again, I don't know what a physicist actually works with other than teaching in grad schools, which is a terrible job in my country.

Also, are there any other interesting degree choices I should look into? Thanks in advance.

>> No.10687832

>>10687810
You should have just double majored you fucking sellout hack. Doesnt matter what you do now because you clearly have no passions or interests you wish to specialize in.

>> No.10687840

>>10687832
>double major
There is no such thing as that in my country you big dumb, not everyone lives in burgerland
>Doesnt matter what you do now because you clearly have no passions or interests you wish to specialize in
I matters because I don't want to flip burgers for the rest of my life

>> No.10687842

Do anything but CS. Most over saturated market no matter where you are. Unless you intend to be some sort of turbo nerd who is in the top 1%. Don't fall into the meme of going into a field you directly enjoy as you'll probably come to hate it later on.

>> No.10688131

>>10687840

So you want to bandwagon with intent to wageslave. C"""S""" is the place for you. Majoring in any pure science or mathematicas is career suicide for 99% of people, at least in the U.S, not to mention far more difficult than 105 IQ fields like CS and engineering, especially if you have no passion for them.

tl;dr: Be a good got and code monkey

>> No.10688348
File: 37 KB, 300x198, eff51e_8b8ecb9fe1f3a91f6ec91c5a6938596b_gif_srz_719_360_85_22_0_50_1_20_0-1-300x198.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10687842
>Don't do things you enjoy, they'll only disappoint you
Good advice

>> No.10688352

>>10688131
>Majoring in any pure science or mathematicas is career suicide for 99% of people, at least in the U.S
Ah yes, my math bsc that got me a comfy job making 120k a year really was career suicide
I really wish I studied computer science so I would get to work with pajeets and make less than half what I do now!

>> No.10688376

>>10688352
What job do you have? I’m curious about the careers available to someone with a math degree

>> No.10688378

>>10687810
>Careers in STEM for brainlet
CS is pretty much the way to go, it's the least math intensive field in STEM.

>> No.10688426

>>10688348
>Doesn't actually quote what was said
Kek

>> No.10688536
File: 131 KB, 506x547, 1530742913792.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10688131
>So you want to bandwagon with intent to wageslave
Thing is, I'm actually interested in learning about sciences and math, but I'm poor and I live in a shitty third world country and I need to be realistic in my expectations. For instance, wanting to work on a research field just doesn't seem viable, there is simply no money being invested in that sort of thing and it's just disheartening to go through all of that shit in college just to end up as a janitor or burger fliper.

This is why I am asking what the professional of each area can work with, I simply can't afford to study something just for 'passion' and find out I can't do anything with my degree afterwards. If I can work of something I enjoy, that's perfect, but passion doesn't pay the bills.

I assume by your quotation marks that you think CS is bit of a meme degree. Is there no advantage to studying CS over something like pure maths? I assume not every CS job is the same either? That's the kind of stuff I'm curious about.

>>10688348
To be fair, this is pretty much what happened to me with philosophy. I still like the subject, but studying it in college was miserable. I think that if I hear the word "gender" one more time I will have an aneurysm.

>> No.10688612

>>10688536
Given this new information about your location it seems like if you were to do CS, then would be one of two things: wageslave or codemonkey - and probably for less than average money since you said you're a brainlet

>> No.10688618

All STEM degrees are oversaturated and not worth it. You're better off in the long run learning a trade.

>> No.10688636

>>10688618
not to mention the fact that you need to get into a grad program if you plan on actually making use of your degree. Stopping at a bachelors is a waste of time

>> No.10688657

>>10688612
I'm not a genius or anything, but I actually had an above average IQ as a child (135, though I probably have lost some points since then because of not exercising my brain much) and did great in math and physics back when I was in school, for what that's worth (I assume high-school level math and physics is child's play compared to anything you'd see in college). When I say I'm a brainlet I'm humbling myself a little because you guys obviously know much more than I do about this shit, but I think I probably would do decently well if I really applied myself (easier said than done, I know).

I don't know how the CS field is in my country, I need to look into that a bit better, but supposedly it's a "developing field" and not oversaturaded like it is on the US (though to be fair, I think they say that about all of the jobs, so people won't be discouraged from paying for their meme degrees).

>>10688618
I just don't think that is really true in my country, the technology field is still fairly new for us, so although there's fewer options, it's at least not overrun by underpaid pajeets and chinks just yet, and having a degree is still kind of a really big deal here, though it's still hard to find a job even if you have one. I think the real oversaturated fields in my country are things like Law and Psychology, those guys are fucking everywhere.

Plus, if I have a degree and good qualifications I have the chance to get picked up by an international company and leave this hellhole, though that seems very unlikely to happen.