[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1020 KB, 212x170, giphy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10637014 No.10637014 [Reply] [Original]

My grades through undergrad were pretty abysmal. In first and second year I had 2.0 gpa. In third and fourth I had 3.0. I just finished fifth year with 3.5 gpa and made the dean's list. I applied last fall with the shitty grades from year 1-4. Is one year of good grades enough to make a difference?

>> No.10637076

If you have good letters of rec and a good statement of purpose, then maybe.

>> No.10637109

It depends. If you're going for a masters you usually don't experience much problems if you were semi competent in undergrad (and sounds like you were). I don't have much experience with American system I just instantly got access to my Msc when I completed my Bsc. Only had to send in my diploma and a few other documents.

Not sure about phd positions some are very competitive to get (also to get money for doing your phd), and some are relatively easy to get into. Computer science / artificial intelligence / information systems are all very easy to get into at the moment since there is a lot of demand for research into these fields but academics pays so much less and offers much less than current tech companies do. But this might change in 5 years.