[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 720x720, dktianbgomt21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10616664 No.10616664 [Reply] [Original]

Computer Science vs Computer Engineering, which one has better career opportunities?

>> No.10616719

I personally prefer CompE, but I'd say CS has better opportunities and I feel like a decent amount of CompE's would be better off in CS anyways.

>> No.10616742

>>10616664
Mathematics

Otherwise CE. But if you do math you can learn any of that shit.

Stop thinking your education ends when you're handed a piece of paper.

>> No.10616746
File: 55 KB, 750x750, 1556817128173.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10616742
>tfw one day hope to unify all three subjects
>tfw not even in university

>> No.10616748

They both have the same career opportunities

>> No.10616786

>>10616664
>the virgin computer “scientist” vs the chad computer engineer
Obvious choice is obvious

>> No.10616833

CS for sure

t. EE

>> No.10616844
File: 32 KB, 925x711, 1556761107604.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10616664
On the surface, you can think of Comp Sci as pure software, EE as mainly hardware, and CompE as a hybrid, but I'll give you some more detail.

I did my undergrad in EE+CompE and I'm working on my Comp E masters part time. In my experience, Computer Science has more opportunities, but Computer Engineering opportunities can be better. You have to really think about what you want to do though. If you want to get involved with Computer Hardware, then obviously you should consider Computer Engineering instead of Computer Science.

Most of the money is in Software, though and you can expect a lot of the hardware positions will pay a lot less. Systems Engineering positions can pay a lot too but I don't think those are as interesting. If you're trying to get into a software as a CompE, you're going to be competing with Computer Science people, and you'll often be outclassed for many positions where they have you beat. Software positions for mobile applications, web development, financial applications, those are common positions that Comp Sci people are better trained to handle. You can certainly get a job doing those things as a Comp E, but that's not really the forte of your major. Where Comp E majors can carve out an advantage in software are positions that require a stronger understanding of circuits, assembly languages, and computer architecture. Think of lower level software for embedded devices (phones, computer peripherals, defense equipment, motor controllers, drivers, cameras, image processing, robotics, etc). These are areas in software that will continue to be relevant for many years to come, and often pay very well because they require a more specialized skill-set than most computer science positions.

Still only 24 years old, had my first job in Sys Eng, and I'm moving into a Soft Engineering position now. There are probably people who have had different experiences. This is all based on my own experience in the US, don't know about other countries.

>> No.10616848

>>10616844
I accidentally butchered half of my sentences because I hit the character cap. Oops.

>> No.10616860

>>10616844
Thanks for the detailed response, I'm in the UK with an offer for the university of Warwick.

Much more interested in hardware than software so I think I'll switch to CE when I start.

>> No.10616878

>>10616860
I would be flexible about it. There's a lot of overlap, so you should be able to branch out into areas that you like.

I actually started out as pure Electrical Engineering because I liked circuits, but I enjoyed a lot of the classes on digital circuits (think logic gates, microprocessors, computer architecture) so I added Computer Engineering to my major and got a dual degree. After I started working as a Systems Engineer, I realized that I missed programming, and wanted to get back into embedded design, so that's when I started working on my grad degree and eventually left my position a couple years after that.

Your career likely won't be a straight line, and that's fine.