[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 900 KB, 1200x630, watch-this-epic-trailer-of-the-first-commercial-space-station-1200x630 (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10608205 No.10608205 [Reply] [Original]

Could a lottery with space-trip tickets as prices fund the construction of space station and other space-based infrastructure?

>> No.10608215

>>10608205
you want to sell tickets to something to fund the construction of that something?
Main issue is people having trust in the product being build. huge issue for this

>> No.10608369

>>10608215
Yeah, but on the other hand you are not selling a full-priced ticket.

If somebody had a reasonable plan in place, would I pay a penny for a lottery ticket? Fuck yeah. Would I pay a dollar. Yeah, probably, why the fuck not? WOuld I pay ten bucks? No, they'd need more than just a plausible plan for me to hand them ten bucks. But if they convincingly looked like the could pull it off, given funding, had some successes under their belt, then I might well toss ten at them.

The other question implied in OP is whether enough people who are dumb would throw a couple of bucks in -- lotteries cannot make much money without the dumb people. I am not sure how much success a lottery of one free space ride would have -- even the very dumbest dumb people can understand that winning aPowerBall jackpot would be something they want -- but I'd guess few dumb people would really want a space trip enough to take a flutter on a ticket.

>> No.10608923

>He doesn't remember Mars One
I'm going to need to see a prospectus at the very least before I'm giving you any money bro.

>> No.10609031

>>10608205
that stinks like a scam.