Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 287 KB, 600x600, image_ifuckinglove_black_46_1024x1024.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10581118 No.10581118 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

What is /sci/'s opinion on scientism

>> No.10581172

>>10581118
/sci/ is 98% scientism.
I'm part of the remaining 2%, and I can't begin to describe how disgusting this place is to me.

>> No.10581194

"scientism" is anti-science

>> No.10581198

>>10581172
What's your field?

>> No.10581203

>>https://warosu.org/sci/image/UyjcBdvCA0biULvK4H23pw
Sick autism bruh

>> No.10581228

>>10581118
Define "scientism"

>> No.10581241

Scientism is sexist and racist

>> No.10581260

>>10581118
I assume your referring to the discrimination of peoples based on their field of science. I think it's fine. Some sciences suck and so do the people who work with them.

>> No.10581265

>>10581228
The belief that "Science," as an abstract entity, is a universal source of truth and meaning, and a comprehensive belief system.

>> No.10581275

>>10581118
Best religion. It works until it doesn't.

>> No.10581277

>>10581265
People who think like that don't get far

>> No.10581282

>>10581265
It's blatantly false given that science cannot answer e.g. mathematical, ethical, aesthetic questions.

>> No.10581477

>>10581277
>>10581282

False. There is no corner of this universe too far for science to investigate.

>> No.10581497
File: 24 KB, 396x382, f63.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10581497

>>10581194

>> No.10581547

>>10581477
Test that.

>> No.10581562

>>10581118
rationalism is equivalent to scientism because science is rationality

>> No.10581568

>>10581477
I'm sure if you zoom in enough on a number you can empirically verify the existence of math!

>> No.10581576

>>10581562
Rationality is the subset of science that doesn't involve forming new ideas to test interesting hypotheses or rechecking data to determine methodological errors.

>> No.10581580

>>10581562
>science is rationality
Read up a bit on philosophy of science and come back.

>> No.10581596

>>10581477
High quality bait my fellow bugman, I'm sure they'll never catch on to your ruse!

>> No.10581679

>>10581118
Scientism is based and redpilled.

>> No.10581756

scientism is another fictitious concept invented by /pol/tard godfags and /x/schizo newagers to strawman scientists; similar to “cultural marxism” (pol) or “academics are in a huge conspiracy to promote the NWO” (x)

>> No.10581765

>>10581118
I love having a Baking soda volcano level understanding of science and denying humans are creating climate change

>> No.10581766

>>10581580
>philosophy
dropped

>> No.10581777
File: 217 KB, 347x344, critical.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10581777

It's the proposition you get from anti-social autists when the try to imagine a world where their status might be a little bit elevated, without knowledge of or through for human interaction otherwise.
It's cringe

>> No.10581821

>>10581756
>and /x/schizo newagers to strawman scientists
/x/ anon here, can confirm this reasoning tactic.

>> No.10581824

>>10581756
Post this as many times as you like, it’s still not true.

>> No.10581829

Here’s a good rule of thumb: if it’s a fact it’s science, if it’s not a fact it’s not science and it’s probably bullshit.

/thread.

>> No.10581832

>>10581824
how is it not true. because you can cite some definition of “scientism” that goes back 150 years and is irrelevant to the modern day shitposter usage?

and don’t give me bill nye memes, dude isn’t even a scientist

>> No.10581844

>>10581118
It’s an imaginary thing made up by /x/

>> No.10581845
File: 166 KB, 945x261, motherofScience.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10581845

It's a disgrace

>> No.10581849

>>10581265
Pretty silly considering there is and never will be a universal source of truth and meaning. A comprehensive belief system could in theory exist but it'd still be 99.99% imaginary like every belief system currently in existence.

>> No.10581851

>>10581568
Performing mathematics empirically verifies the existence of math.

>> No.10581856

>>10581845
>xkcd but photoshopped
godfags are seriously cringe

>> No.10581878

>>10581118
The Science is in.

Your gay.

>> No.10581884
File: 372 KB, 1552x873, hesendalightning.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10581884

>>10581118
A necessary evil to prevent the extras from performing another sack.

I'd rather they feel a muddy-headed good will instead of suspicion and resentment.

>> No.10581894

discord.com/MuhSpiritsREEE
>hey guys these dirty materialists on /sci/ are so fucking lame, those cis-gender materialist bigots!!!
>let’s raid /sci/, here i posted it again!!! hehe scientism kek gotem!!
>praise jesus! and buddha yeah, kundalini is so redpilled

>> No.10581912

>>10581894
Man, that reminds me, I should check in on Spirit Science. I'm super keen to watch this kid have a mental break in real time.

It keeps getting better.

>> No.10582062

>>10581477
Define science.
Science imo is the application of the scientific theory. That basically means that if you can quantify and record it, you can test it via scientific means.

>> No.10582083
File: 307 KB, 500x275, 1422573467808.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10582083

>believing in Philosophy vs. Science
>not believing that they are conducive to one another
The absolute state of big-think on this board.

>> No.10582144

>>10582083
This is what happens when epistemology and philosophy of science aren't included as part of a basic science education.

>> No.10582195
File: 51 KB, 436x536, 1545372359214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10582195

>>10582144
Yeah

>> No.10582217

>>10581829
This is good bait, so here's your (You).

Maybe next time, anon.

>> No.10582224

>>10582083
yeah brah, philosophy is fuckin amazing
*bubble bubble bubble*
scient-
*COUGH COUGH COUGH*
scientists just can’t grasp the REAL concepts like, you know dude, like platonic
*bubble bubble bubble*
real-
*COUGH COUGH COUGH*
reality bro. there’s like another reality outside normal real reality like play-doh said. fucking play-dohnic reality brah

>> No.10582236

>>10582224
You almost got me.

>> No.10582357

>>10581829
I have a jar of phlogiston to sell you

>> No.10582501

>>10581477
This is unfalsifiable therfore it must be true because it has unfalse right in the name.

>> No.10582507

>>10581118
Scientism is how science-haters call Science and Mathematics

>> No.10582632

>>10581497
>disliking the most reddit thing of all is reddit

>> No.10582633

>>10581118
>worshiping science when you could be worshiping large corporations

>> No.10582813

>>10581198
Sociology, why?

>> No.10582816

>>10582813
lmao

>> No.10582832

>>10581172
>/sci/ is 98% scientism.
No, that's /reddit/
>>10581194
b8/88

>> No.10582839
File: 19 KB, 518x600, ilovescience.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10582839

>> No.10582840
File: 23 KB, 711x600, atheists.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10582840

>>10582839

>> No.10582854

Literally not a single person on 4chan knows enough about animal mating systems to comment on them. The number of times I've seen some chuckle fuck extrapolate bird mating systems to people on this site and totally disregard life history is obnoxious.

>> No.10582859

>>10582839
>>10582840
Hey guys. Creator of the cosmos here. Just want to weigh in with my own perspective.

I created reality. Logic is optional. I use it primarily to explore human perspective. Any model is true if I want it to be. The thermodynamic concept of a closed cosmic system is a convenient excuse for me to exercise plausible deniability. I can obviously apply it when, where, and however I please.

>> No.10582862
File: 18 KB, 700x605, Atheists2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10582862

>>10582840

>> No.10582876

>>10582862
Why is it the Christian both times in that one?

>> No.10582882

>>10582876
That's a good question. It should probably be another atheist scientist "skeptic"

>> No.10583380

>>10582813
OHNONONONONONONO

>> No.10583422

>>10582839
based

>> No.10583424

>>10581118
I fucking hate I fucking love science.

>> No.10583451

>>10582862
lol christians believe in ESP now? dang, i thought godfags were better than newagers. you guys do wacky fad diets too now?

>> No.10583493

>>10581562
>science is rationality
No, science became unproductive when scientists started treating it like that. The best science is tinkering and fucking with things to see what happens.

>> No.10583499
File: 255 KB, 2047x788, 900234321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10583499

>>10581118
Absolutely retarded and annoying.

>> No.10583504
File: 57 KB, 729x733, faggot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10583504

>>10581118

It's just bug pop culture.

Absolute trash.

>> No.10584370

>>10583493
There's more evidence for ESP than there is for string theory

>> No.10584542
File: 49 KB, 645x729, 1508177022609.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10584542

>>10584370
>There's more evidence for ESP than there is for string theory

>> No.10584549

>>10584542
Multiple peer-reviewed studies
vs
[Crickets]

>> No.10584597
File: 217 KB, 1296x1458, IMG_0395.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10584597

>>10584542

>> No.10584647

>>10581265
Not to mention the people that won't say this but act like its true AKA every politician and 'science educator.'

>> No.10584863
File: 1014 KB, 1280x544, b8.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10584863

>>10582813
well played

>> No.10584868

>>10584549
[Crickets] > negative studies

>> No.10585006

>>10584647
Obviously they aren't going to say that if they believe it

>> No.10585026

>>10584863
>everything i don't understand is bate

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action