[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3 KB, 327x230, iqvsreligion.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10556275 No.10556275[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Currently scientists have not found the genes that directly predispose people to this disease. But we do know that people of higher intelligence are less likely to be affected. Intelligence is a trait influenced by many genes, and currently the treatments for insufficient intelligence, have not been very effective, In my opinion a true cure for this disease will never be found.

The only possibility to eliminate this illness is by screening embryos for the disease at birth, similar to how down syndrome is screened for. Over many generations the underlying cause of the disease (insufficient intelligence) could be reduced in the population, and hopefully completely eliminated.

With the help of The World Health Organization I believe that a total elimination is possible, in the past century The World Health organization is very close to completely eliminating polio another less serious illness.

>> No.10556277

>>10556275
I'm shocked yet another atheist retard is displaying their retardedness

>> No.10556286

Religion is an adaptive behavior that allows the brain to be utilized in other ways. It was always used to oppose our main fault, sexuality. Sexual indulgences reinforce our primal brain. Religion may indeed be false but it helped us overcome this pitfall. If you critize religion yet are still a slave to the God in your pants, then you're not really free now are you?

>> No.10556291

>>10556275
now post the one for penis length vs religion is very important

>> No.10556293

>>10556277
Don't worry doctors are researching a treatment for your condition, and I have no doubt that tests for religiosity will be standard in future prenatal screenings.

>> No.10556300

>>10556286
You’re wrong, sex being taboo in religion is a relatively recent phenomenon. In the earliest religions, we see an abundance of fertility icons, sex goddesses, and either ambivalence or encouragement of all things sexual. The need for religion goes deeper than a need to come to terms with our primal urges.

>> No.10556304
File: 508 KB, 1439x1017, hope.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soon we will have succeeded in eradicating polio, but I think it is time to tackle the more serious disease affecting the world there are billions of people still suffering from religion, and I think it is irresponsible not to do what we can to stop it especially now that we have the technology to do so.

>> No.10556310

>>10556300
I'm not talking about shit tier religions.

>> No.10556317

>>10556310
At the core of religion, is actually a love for 2d perfect waifus. The venus of willendorf was the original anime figure and we have evidence that lonely hunters used it to masturbate. If you are on this site, you are simply a proud continuation of these ancestral longings.

>> No.10556335

you need jesus honey

>> No.10556357

>>10556275
If people dont worship God, they worship the state. And we know from history the effects a society of atheism are far more dangerous than theism. I agree with you religion can be categorized as a disease it can spread much the same way. However it is a very good disease, and one we as a society should encourage the spread of. If we are to function as countrymen and family we should spread religion. In particular Islam is the best, but the other monotheistic religions Judaism, Christianity, or Zoroastrianism are pretty good too.

>> No.10556361

>>10556357
>if they dont worship god, they must worship something else, because I am stupid and must worship something therefore everyone must worship something!

I dont believe in god and certainly dont “worship” the state, whatever the fuck that means. What do you even mean? Do I have to pray to a picture of the president every day? The only non bullshit “religion” would be Buddhism if only because to accept it at a base level you dont need to believe in anything supernatural.

>> No.10556377

>>10556361
https://mises.org/library/omnipotent-government-rise-total-state-and-total-war

I'm talking about this sort of thing. How in 1930's Germany service to the state was the highest good one could achieve. And these people were some of the smartest scientists to ever live too. You have something holy about you allowing you to resist the control. But most people do not.

>> No.10556384

>>10556291
given their love for children, my guess is that religious people have small pps.

>> No.10556386

>>10556293
yet another retarded atheist dangerous fanatic*

But I'm not worried, your kind doesn't reproduce.

>> No.10556388

>>10556377
My friend, 1930s Germany is not the United States in 2019. Where you and will agree is that in 1930s Germany the state DID replace religion, same with the CCCP - a religion of the state.

Things simply dont work that way anymore. People like me who dont believe in anything dont choose to not believe in anything, we just dont. Im an EMT. I look people in the eyes when theyre dying. I dont think theres a god, nothing about this life makes me think theres a god, and theres nothing bad about this, its just the way it is. There are certain truths we must choose to accept starting with the fact that one day we will all die. I dont believe we get an afterlife, I think that this is our one chance, so we need to make the most of it. We do that by reducing suffering in the world, for animals, for people, even for plants. I cant help but feel a reverence and joy for life, I cant even bring myself to kill a fruit fly (and its been buzzing around me for a while now), but I am this way because of how I see life, not because some book told me to so this, or because the state did.

>> No.10556398

>>10556275
Smart people understand what a useful device religion is. Dumb people do not rape and steal because santa clause is coming to town. Making or perpetuating posts like these shows that you haven't achieved intelligence. A majority of people are still going to find dumbass stuff to believe in after religion is taken away. It is better the evil we know. Idk, I don't buy the entire magic jew thing but you're kinda just lame if you aren't searching for answers to things yet to be answered. Can't even do science without that. Science was born from religion.

>> No.10556401

>>10556275
The gene is every gene dumbass, people don’t want to die

>> No.10556404

>>10556388
if there is no god what ultimate objective reason is there to make the most of life or reduce suffering other than "i feel like it" or "i see life this way"

>> No.10556417

>>10556404
I dont need to tell myself that I know the “ultimate objective reason” for doing the right thing, reducing the suffering of conscious creatures is objectively good, and if you disagree you are wrong. I firmly believe that. Thats why I do what I do. You cant tell me when I put a traction splint on a fractured femur and turn a man screaming like a baby into a composed adult that im not doing the right thing - I am. In the end you are simply /telling/ youreself that your god is the ultimate objective reason for whatever you deem good when what you deem good is sinply he product of your merely human understanding of good, just like mine. You actually arent privy to any supernatural understanding of good and evil, I have access to what you do, and I dont find your god (which I assume to be the Christian god) compelling, especially given how at the hands of the church society was plunged into war after war and misery upon misery for millenia by people who thought literally the exact same thing as you.

Youre creating a hole that only your idealized god can fill, and that idealized god is the product of human minds like yours and mine. You and I will struggle to navigate good and evil throughout our lives in the exact same manner, whether you agree or not. Im just choosing to make an actual difference, rather than delude myself with thinking I have the answers.

Your argument is not original to you and has been shot down by many people more articulate than me, but believe me when I say I see exactly where youre coming from and can summarize your views in a way you would find charitable. I dont believe you could do the same for me.

>> No.10556432

>>10556417
Not the Anon but, we could be conditioned from young, to think it "right" to steal from a man with a fractured femur. His loss can be gain for you and yours. Most people who thump the Bible think that they have the inside scoop on what it is all about but they are just lemmings. There are deeper levels to it. Control for one. It would be statistically impossible for every American politician to be religious but they claim to be. My guess is that you have been ass hurt by religion and now you are acting like a rebellious teen. There are plenty who can act as we call "good" but there are many more who would go completely ape shit if they think they would suffer no consequences. No army could stop them. I think of a city like Oakland and how quickly it would fall if there was proof of a meaningless existence on the six o'clock news.

>> No.10556435
File: 30 KB, 437x600, le epic kneechee photograph.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10556357

I'm not the OP but I appreciate what he's getting after, and the heavy-handed frame-setting rhetoric which he has used, in a scientistic way, to do so. And you, you're missing the point.

It goes like this. Religionists point to human nature and history to excuse religion: "We need to believe in something higher than ourselves, otherwise we'll just be a bunch of dildo-riding trannies!" Never mind that this entails ignoring the inquisition, catholic priest child rapists, daily muslim activity, and so forth. The Belief is the highest good, nothing must be allowed to unseat the Belief, because humans be like they do.

Here's the thing, again. One can concede all of this. One can concede that humans are naturally wired for story-telling, and will replace god with state if need be. /But they shouldn't/. What is necessary, is that /human beings become beings who don't need such stories in order to keep from going totally insane./ That is, transhumanism, Nietzsche's overman, etc. Because that is what reality militates, constantly, through observation.

Religion is a pathological excuse shared by the pathological majority of the pathological species, which goes on excusing itself to itself through humanity's own pathological weakness, the addiction that it does not wish to overcome. What is necessary is that humans become stronger beings who are stronger in the truth, the truth of irreligion which the bulk of humans themselves cannot currently withstand. 4chan's hated "bugman", whoever he may be, is in fact a sort of overman, to the extent that he is that-much-more in the truth of the world, so far as it can be observed-which is not a scientism.

>> No.10556439

>>10556435

This post should also not be interpreted as a blanket acceptance or promotion of Kneechee's philosophy as-such. Rather, it only takes the useful and true aspects of that gay science.

>> No.10556449

>>10556435
>4chan's hated "bugman", whoever he may be, is in fact a sort of overman,
eeh, I'm not sure about this one. replacing religious thought with no independent thought at all doesn't seem like reaching a post-human state of mind.

>> No.10556456

>>10556432
I think there are a number of people who are definitely evil but I dont believe that if everyone knew that their religions were bullshit, they would fly off the handle and run around murdering and stealing and raping. I actually think the uptick in those things, in that scenario, would be small. If those people need to delude themselves in order to not do these things, they are unstable and likely mentally ill either way. A more accurate scenario would be that upon learning that their religion are untrue millions of people would spiral into a deep, uncurable depression and probably kill themselves.

If youre taught to steal from injured people from a young age, it doesnt change whether or not the act is the right thing to do, it obviously isnt and I dont need a book to tell me otherwise. If I did then I would be committing crimes as well.

As far as me being a “rebellious teen”, thats just something you tell yourself to mask the fact that youre upset about my not being convinced by a thing that you have based much of your life around. Its super important to you, not to me. I have no qualms with religion on a personal level, thankfully I wasnt molested by a priest/pastor (who are coincidentally notorious for molesting children despite believing in the same ‘objective mora truth’ as the other anon), but philosophically I find it boring, uninspired, circular, unproductive outside of herding the dumb and impulsive people like cattle (who proudly proclaim the Lord is their shepherd, the irony), however even that doesnt justify its existence or any of the claims it makes as those same people could be herded by some other means.

In the end your assumption about Oakland is unfounded and nothing more than an impossible scenario existing nowhere but your own mind. I am still unconvinced.

>> No.10556462

>>10556417
reducing the suffering of conscious creature is objectively good for what reason?

It makes no difference whether what people deem good is the product of their own understanding of good or not.

If you cannot ultimately justify your actions within a metaphysical foundation you have no basis for morality that isn't "I feel like this is good and this is bad".

>> No.10556467

>>10556462
>metaphysical
>>>/x/

>> No.10556475

>>10556467
lmao

>> No.10556476

>>10556462
Are you even reading what youre writing?

How about you tell me why it WOULDNT be good? Oh wait, you cant, because its common sense. Im making an appeal to common sense.

You are making an appeal to a ridiculous, meaningless philosophical framework you must construct that still doesnt justify your specific gods existence because you can explain your beliefs any other way. Youre so desperate to believe in your god that you think the idea of there being some “objective moral truth” means your god exists, when in reality if such a thing did exist, it would have nothing to do with your god because your god doesnt exost. I dont have to work within your meaningless framework where your god is axiomatic, despite you trying to make me. I can simply operate using common sense and accept the mysteries of the universe with an open mind, while you delude yourself thinking you have an understanding of “objective moral reality”. You dont.

Once again, even if you did, your god would have absolutely nothing to do with it.

>> No.10556478

>>10556467
Wait what the fuck?! This is /sci/?!

I unironically thought I was shitposting on /x/. I was just browsing it and must have flipped to the wrong fucking board, my god id never pollute /sci/ with my ranting knowingly. Fucking hell. My bad.

>> No.10556491

>>10556456
I respect your ideas as valid as mine. I am not at all religious. Just trying to see things from all angles. I want to believe in a collective soul but I'm grown enough to realize that this is wishful thinking. Scientifically, it would be easier to understand that this is all in our imagination in an infinite possibility of things that don't really exist. What could move the prime mover? Yes religion does not compute. I'm with you. You may be right. Big catastrophes blow over pretty quick but i have been to Oakland and there are countries full of garbage and shit. I don't understand what's bad about religion on a large scale. I personally know some zealots that I'd rather do without. I can't do much as an individual but I believe in my freedom and give no man or god dominion over me. I have successfully used the threat of weapons to defend myself from authorities. I have no dog in the fight but I would definitely go with the natural order of things if they were to change and i think that they would. You know your right from wrong but there are presently people who think another's misfortune is a god given opportunity for them to take advantage of and they think it is right to feed their fat children by hurting others. Fun stuff, I guess.

>> No.10556492

>>10556476
>It's good because...it's just common sense!

On the theistic hypothesis God holds all persons morally accountable for their actions. Evil and wrong will be punished; righteousness will be vindicated.
Good ultimately triumphs over evil, and we shall finally see that we do live in a moral universe after all.
Despite the inequities of this life, in the end the scales of God's justice will be balanced.
Thus, the moral choices we make in this life are infused with an eternal significance. We can with consistency make moral choices which run contrary to our self-interest and even undertake acts of extreme self-sacrifice, knowing that such decisions are not empty and ultimately meaningless gestures. Rather our moral lives have a paramount significance. So I think it is evident that theism provides a sound foundation for morality.

The objective worthlessness of human beings on a naturalistic world view is underscored by two implications of that world view: materialism and determinism.
Naturalists are typically materialists or physicalists, who regard man as a purely animal organism.
But if man has no immaterial aspect to his being (call it soul or mind or what have you), then he is not qualitatively different from other animal species.
For him to regard human morality as objective is to fall into the trap of specie-ism.
On a materialistic anthropology there is no reason to think that human beings are objectively more valuable than rats.
Secondly, if there is no mind distinct from the brain, then everything we think and do is determined by the input of our five senses and our genetic make-up.
There is no personal agent who freely decides to do something.
But without freedom, none of our choices is morally significant.
They are like the jerks of a puppet's limbs, controlled by the strings of sensory input and physical constitution.
And what moral value does a puppet or its movements have?

>> No.10556495

>>10556476
This Anon adds that it would be easy as fuck to explain why whatever you say is good is bad. You need to argue with yourself more there is always an upside to justify everything.

>> No.10556499

>>10556492
See? Look at what youve made here. A mess of philosophical terminology mixed in with overtly religious nonsense.

In light of this I CAN and will make appeals to common sense. If I have two options, which are “relieve suffering because it is the right thing to do” or “accept the idea that the Christian god is the one true god and things are right and wrong because it judges them to be” ill take the first option any day. If you want to continue this conversation pick a thread on /x/ and ill gladly meet you there. Sage

>> No.10556504

>>10556449

your "replacing religious thought with no independent thought at all" is a completely arbitrary, particular, and invalid assumption on your part.

>> No.10556510
File: 38 KB, 650x705, comment_N2MzU9HWqDqxVziloTBzAvmADn6YkzAM.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10556476
>See? Look at what youve made here. A mess of philosophical terminology mixed in with overtly religious nonsense.
>In light of this I CAN and will make appeals to common sense.

>> No.10556514

>>10556504
???
bugmen are people who behave like insects, that they're driven only by immediate reaction to external stimuli.
it's a bit of strawman but someone who actually behaves like an insect probably doesn't have any independent thought.

>> No.10556525

>>10556286
I mean it never really helped if that’s what you thought it was for. Otherwise there wouldn’t be so many kids and goats being diddled by the religious. It seems more like religion was just an explanation for the natures of the world. Even when you look to more modern religions you see these same topics being answered. Just look at the garden of eden for abrahamic religions. It even has an animal origin story for crying out loud (how the snake lost its legs and why he slithers with his belly)

>> No.10556533
File: 237 KB, 458x447, SDZQ4pt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10556275
ye of little faith,
you are like a child. Seriously though how have you not come to the understanding that religion is just a product of our physical/sociological evolution. Using that logic alone you can deduce that it is most probably a net good. The reason being that it is such a complex phenomenon that it is very unlikely that came about via "genetic drift" or some other similar occurrence. It was obviously selected and passed down because it had lots of advantages e.g. (structure, social cohesion, meaning/purpose, etc).

Now that's not even to begin with the fact that you forgot that correlation != causation. What likely is happening here is people of higher IQ are more easily able to understand and accept the flaws and issues within the more mainstream religions.
For example if you were born to religious parents and were sufficiently intelligent you would still believe in that religion. At least until your brain had sufficiently developed to a point where you could reason through such issues. (please note this hypothetical would be in an environment where you would be obviously free to learn and had not been extensively indoctrinated.)

>> No.10556536

>>10556286
I've never heard such utter nonsense in my entire life.

Whatever the original intent or drive behind religion was, it's long gone now.
The only purpose religion serves now is so The Few can hold sway over The Many, and the way they do that is by discouraging learning Real Truth and Independent Thinking, instead replacing them with Blind Faith and Rhetoric, in a stick-and carrot methodology.
People would be much better off being taught to think for themselves instead of turning to liars, who pretend to be spoken to by an unseen 'god' whose existence cannot be proven, for 'guidance' in their day-to-day lives.
We're already seeing a growing movement back towards wilfull ignorance and superstition, rejecting centuries of progress.

If religion was a totally individual, private system of spiritual belief I wouldn't care, but whateven tendency in the human brain that makes people susceptible to it is leveraged by power-hungry people to bend the so-called 'faithful' to their will, to serve their own very-much-mortal agenda. It's bullshit and I'd just as soon see it all die out.

>> No.10556538

>>10556275
No. I'm just tired of people telling me that I must respect religious people even if I am not religious because "spirituality is such an important part of life", I'm not even nn aggressive atheist, but calling everyone who doesn't pat you on the back for attending church or believing "well there's gotta be SOMETHING cuz how complex cells are!" an 'edgelord' is painting with too broad a brush. I mostly just want them to keep their distance from me, and believe whatever they please at a distance and out of sight.

You all think that's hypocritical?