Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 8 KB, 215x234, math.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10554051 No.10554051 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

khan academy or serge lang basic mathematic?

>> No.10554151

>>10554051
Book, easier to flip thru

>> No.10554334

>>10554051
Matters where you're starting at in Khan.

>> No.10554339

>>10554051
just do the problems in khan and lang only when you need to. He's an autist so don't expect important stuff to be treated in an applied or sensible way.

>> No.10554382

>>10554051
>khan academy or serge lang basic mathematic?
Lang is a meme.

>> No.10554409

>>10554334
starting from algebra because my foundation is shaky

>> No.10554735

Khan is more like a refresher for stuff you've already studied in school/college, rather than a starting point. If that's all you need then you'll be fine just watching videos and doing simple exercises (which is what Khan provides). However if you never really learnt the material, e.g. if you went to a shitty school or if you slacked off and barely passed then you should work through a good book.

>> No.10554801

>>10554735
what would book would you recommend ? and yes you are right about the second part,I went to a shitty school that doesnt even teach proof or at least doesnt focus that much on it and Im a slacker too.(some people dont even know what is sin and cos, they just remember the formula and remember the answer)

>> No.10554999

>>10554051
Depends on whether you're learning a subject or getting better at it.
Khan is pretty good for learning and practice but sometimes has awful explanations and doesn't really delve into the logic of why some things work.

>> No.10556001

If you are starting from zero: Khan Academy

If you have lots of holes in your algebra, high school geometry, trigonometry knowledge but can recall some stuff, then Lang

>> No.10556012

>>10554999
>Khan is pretty good for learning and practice but sometimes has awful explanations and doesn't really delve into the logic of why some things work.

Would you say Serge Lang does a better job at explaining things in depth?

Nice trips btw

>> No.10556021

Lang is the brainlet filter. Proceed how you wish.

>> No.10556217

>>10556021
I can understand what he is trying to tell and I like his book but I dont know which to choose between khan or lang because my exam are in 4 months and Im planning to seal all the hole in my foundation in case the teacher try a hard one

>> No.10557827

>>10554051
Math foundation series by N. J. Wildberger for theory and expii for practice are the true choices for refreshing and mastering fundamentals of Mathematics

>> No.10557908
File: 42 KB, 334x506, 1540980221209.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10557908

>>10557827

>> No.10557919

>>10557827
What do you think about AoPS’s series

>> No.10557941
File: 21 KB, 266x280, 1525642517488.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10557941

Why isn't there a fucking errata for Lang's book?

>inb4 meme

>> No.10557983

>>10557827
wildberger's stuff is unironically pretty good.

>> No.10557999

>>10554051
math doctor bob. Ez.

>> No.10558012

>>10557919
>What do you think about AoPS’s series
You want my best advice for choosing the best source for refreshing basic maths (or almost anything for that matter)? There isnt, and if there is it would take you much longer time to find it then to actually master the material from a worse source, so stop obsessing over what to chose. Pick couple sources from what is generally recommended (expii, khan, lang, etc), spend like an hour with each, choose what you like the most and then focus on that source.
Also you then have a list of sources in which you can look for different explanations of a concept you didn't understand from your primary source.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action