[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 338 KB, 1024x650, 3299322081_47c5993380_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10527437 No.10527437 [Reply] [Original]

Old school physicians edition.

Last one reached bump limit
old: >>10510988

We discuss research, offer advice (the best advice we give is "SEE YOUR FUCKING FAMILY PHYSICIAN), shitpost and make fun of dumb premeds.

Based labfags,Techs,PA's, NP's and RN's (students too) are welcome!

Remember, if you want to discuss vaccines, please make your own thread because it usually takes a lot of replies and the discussion usually degenerates.

Resources: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
https://www.tripdatabase.com/

Want to find something? Search it.
Found an interesting article? Share it with us.

>> No.10527448

Can anyone explain to me what a premed is? I don't think we have it in SE Europe and I tried to google it and don't understand

>> No.10527473

>>10527448
We don't have it in EU but if you Google it. (Pre-medical is an educational track that undergraduate students in the United States and Canada pursue prior to becoming medical students. It involves activities that prepare a student for medical school, such as pre-med coursework, volunteer activities, clinical experience, research, and the application process.) It gives you this.

>> No.10527493

>>10527448
Basically the muricans don't do a preclinical phase, but get a college degree and then apply to med school.

>> No.10527500

>>10527473
Is it something obligatory? You can't just get in medschool after high school?

>> No.10527512

>>10527500
Apparently, for Americas and Canadians no. In EU, after high school you know the drill, admission exam followed by 6 year med school and a residency with a minimum 3 years depending on specs.

>> No.10527742

>>10527448
>>10527473
We have it in some EU countries. It is basically a year you do in uni to get an extra year with preclinical medicine and usually a preparation course for an admission test(i.e. MCAT in the US)

>> No.10527785

What's your least favourite type of patient to deal with?

>> No.10527792

>>10527785
The one thats not a cunt.
Oh wait there is no such thing.

>> No.10527793
File: 2.09 MB, 320x240, 1554571541391.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The AMA should be abolished and its governing members prosecuted for intentionally causing a healthcare shortage that cost millions of lives. Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't

>> No.10527821

>>10527785
Teenagers mostly, simply because they aren't that demanding.

>> No.10527826

>>10527785
the one that will sue me

>> No.10527833
File: 413 KB, 811x767, 1502386563086.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm going to start residency in 5 months. Should start sending out CVs and shit. I'll move to a different town where I know nobody and actually start working soon. I'm scared shitless. I have never even been to a job interview at 24. I feel like a manchild with an MD. Is this impostor syndrome or am I just a bitch?

>> No.10527881

>>10527833
What country are you from? I'm guessing not the US

>> No.10528139

is your graduating class dumb /med/? I feel as though maybe 80% of my class is unremarkable in that they are only good at memorizing things and following guidelines.

>> No.10528144

>>10528139

chances are you are exactly the same if you are in that class in the first place

>> No.10528244

>>10528144
pharmacy school?

>> No.10528254

>>10528139
I would say all of them are exceptionally good after 60% of the original class dropped out.

>> No.10528284

>>10528254
lol

>> No.10528474
File: 35 KB, 330x330, 199 - cEB3eo3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10527785
Old patients that after answering my question, they have to continue with some kind of story from their life. I always interrupt to get them back on track but after 2-3 patients like that I feel mentally exhausted.

>>10527833
I think it's normal to feel this way, keep in mind, it's residency and you're there to learn. Out of curiosity, what spec are you going into?

>>10528254

>> No.10528494
File: 17 KB, 480x360, goodmovie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you guys have a hard time finding love? Do you want someone whose smart? Personally I want them to at least have an IQ higher than 123. People with an IQ higher than 123 are more than book smart, but street smart too. They also have more empathy. They also have a higher ability to self-recognize themselves so they are always improving themselves. I'm so scared I will find someone who is hedonistic and stupid and worthless and boring and cant understand me and works retail and does everything i say and is a pervert and is overall a sad NPC normie piece of shit. Can anyone /relate/?

>> No.10528747

>>10527785
Rad tech here. Fat people and old people are by far the most annoying, and generally due to their lack of mobility. They have difficulty lying on a fucking table, and they complain about their ailments as if they're not their own fucking fault. Yes dear, it's just bad luck that your knees don't work properly, totally nothing to do with the fact that you're 250lb. The fatties also often have serious hygiene issues, even the ones covered in makeup reek of BO.

That being said, the old people who are actually fit are 99% of the time an absolute pleasure to work with. Even the more scraggly, homeless looking types are generally very friendly despite how many expletives they may use.

>> No.10529075

What are the pros and cons of pursuing a career in medicine (in particular family medicine - and as a dream career of mine, maybe neonatology or other fields where you work with newborns)? Tell me all the sacrifices that you have made to pursue this career. As for me, I’m a fence sitter wrapping up my first year in a Canadian uni. I don’t know what to do with my life, no less become a doc, but I’ve been interested in science and In particular medicine since I was a child. I understand the sheer workload behind being a doctor, both in school and on the job. Already that deters me a bit, but I just want to know if it’s worth it all. What do you guys think? And, is my doubt a natural thing (ie, commonplace) or is it a sure sign that I won’t cut it?

>> No.10529085

do you hate mentally ill people legit question
I feel like people in hospitals really fucking hate you the more you are out of it
the less out of it the less trouble I've had
I bet most of you are LARP but wtf I couldn't choose how I acted sometimes and people were fucking evil
they really need to screen out some of the retards that work in those places
it sometimes attracts the same people that become prison guards has been my feeling sometimes

>> No.10529104

>>10529085
Everyone hates the mentally ill. Realistically in a primitive society you would be exiled and left to die.

>> No.10529116

How do I find a doctor to shadow?
Should I just email every physician my family has been treated by?

>> No.10529130

>>10528747
>the old people who are actually fit are 99% of the time an absolute pleasure to work with

Agreed. When I had ER rotations a 90 something man came in. My resident was assigned to him so I had to get him up to radiology, he broke his femur because he fell from his bicycle. At 90 something years of age for fucks sake. Me and the tech laughed our asses off, the man was so chill about the whole situation, no arguing, he didn't give us a hard time at all.

>>10529116
>how do I find a doctor to shadow?
Volunteer. After the year is over and summer is close by, our faculty gives every student a notebook. You have to practice for approx a month in a spec that the faculty tells you to. For example, last year I was 3rd year, in summer I had to choose between internal med and gen surg. I chose internal med and shadowed a resident. I just told her that I want to learn and if it's possible that I can "assist" her. So, whenever she was overloaded, I had to take pt's history (ofc, she checked with the patient afterwards), draw blood (hospital is very understaffed), observe when she was doing echos and she explained them to me, when a more complicated case came in she told me every aspect about the disease she suspects + differential diagnosis and so on.

After I finished summer practice, I usually go to my mom's private practice (family med) and "shadow" her.

>> No.10529155

>>10527785
Borderline women.

>> No.10529156

Why is this thread so dead

>> No.10529179

>>10529156
>so dead
Are you retarded? /sci/ is a slow board, we don't reply as fast as /b/tards or whatever floats your boat. Second, look at the time between each reply, if that means dead, you're a brainlet incel.

>> No.10529284

>>10529085
>mentally ill
Not really. I don't understand those who have severe mental disorders such as schizophrenia , dementia and so on but I can relate to anxious people, depressed and people with panic disorder. I don't hate them, I actually am empathetic towards them.

People with severe mental illnesses, I have mixed feelings. I had my fair share of experiences with them, my cell bio prof has schizophrenia and keeps it under control but I could tell she was fucked in the head when she jumped from one subject to another and confusing the whole class and at the exam she gave grades based on how we behaved during class rather than what we wrote. (She got fired 2 years ago) On the other hand, I wanted to understand how she felt but it was impossible to me, I really wanted to not hate her but I just couldn't help it I guess.

>> No.10529297

How do I know if I like medicine? I have never helped a person in my entire life; I have never been inside of a hospital.
If I dislike biology in high school, does that mean I will dislike medicine. If I like biology in high school does that mean I will like medicine.

>> No.10529304

>>10529297
What a stupid question, dude. I wanted medicine since I was in 4th grade, never been in a hospital, never helped someone in my entire life, wasn't interested in what my parents did even though they were doctors, I just felt like getting into it, I was curious. Was never pressured by parents to walk the path of medicine, it was just pure curiosity about our own body and the "mysterious" ways it works. It's not about something you like that will make you like medicine, it's about the way you view this field and its complexity.

>> No.10529307

>>10529297
Well, I hate physics and chemistry and love medicine. There's much more to it than biology.
I don't really know how to explain it, but when I picked medschool I knew that I don't want anything else. I didn't have much experience with hospitals too
You gotta want it, don't go to medschool if it's just something that sounds good to you but you don't have specific interest in it

>> No.10529326

>>10529304
>>10529307
I really, really liked planes, trains and automobiles as a child. It was a border-line obsession. In high school, I loved math, physics and chemistry—I was easily the best out of 2200 students. The only reason why I'm interested in medicine is because I heard that is one of the majors where the smartest students go.
I am 99.9% sure going into engineering. I just wanted to ask this question so I am sure. It is pretty weird to think that this choice, at 18 years old, will affect the rest of my life.
As I was writing this post, I answered my own questions. I'm sorry for asking stupid questions. Anyways, thanks for the help, anons.

>> No.10529332

>>10529326
>I was easily the best out of 2200 students

This is why I hate /sci/. That mentality is already not suited for medicine, it just creates pointless competition.

>> No.10529345

>>10529326
>where the smartest students go
I wouldn't say that, most smart kids pick more specific stem fields, let's say chem, physics or computer engineering. I was 50/1600 on my admission test and wasn't the best student in my highschool. All the smartest kids from my school picked smth like math engineering
>>10529332
There are not many competitive students in my uni, and almost everyone hates those who are. I like the feel of camaradery and collective feeling of hardship and empathy for anyone who failed a test or failed a year

>> No.10529346

>>10527785
The knowitalls but i can understand where are they coming from

>> No.10529349

>>10529332
The only people I tell my academic success is to myself, my family and anonymous forums. I agree that mentioning all of your achievements is a bad personality trait because it makes you unlikable to others
However having a mentality to strive to be the best in something, is in fact, an excellent personality trait in all fields. It is good to have hierarchies of competence—particularly in medicine. You obviously want the best medical students to be brain surgeons. You obviously want the best engineering students to be rocket scientists.
t. high school valedictorian

>> No.10529351
File: 53 KB, 400x400, F1CD8401-415E-4B23-96DB-21EACA377106.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10528494
Theres this high iq qt in my course, i feel shes smarter than me in ways and that gives me boners, asked her out was declined pretty coldly but politely and in manner that closed off any options with her and i cant get over it

>> No.10529353

>>10529345
Would it be fair to say that smart kids go into STEM and hardworking kids with high grades go into medicine?

>> No.10529365

>>10529351
4chan is an excellent example of what people actually think in their heads. We see this because of anonymity. Everyone thinks that they are above average.
Watch street interviews of people rating their physical appearance out of 10. 6/10s rate themselves as 8/10s.
Obviously on a math/science forum instead of physical appearance it would be IQ.

>> No.10529366
File: 57 KB, 532x503, 96 - paddagn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10529345
That goes for my uni too, we're not competitive either, we help out whenever someone is in need. For example, I studied with my group (8 people) for the cards practical exam and it's much easier to learn when you explain it to someone. I myself did fail two exams, I still remember microbiology and histology, I hated both of them, but the group didn't look at me like I was the class retard, I was encouraged and motivated to go on, I feel like that's the most beautiful thing that happened to me during 2nd year. Med friends are the chillest friends.

>>10529349
It doesn't make him unlikeable, it makes him look like an asshole, I'm not saying you shouldn't be confident about your skills but it's bad taste to boast about your shit. I wouldn't want the best medical students to be neurosurgeons, I want all the students to do what they like, if an average student loves neurosurgery and is very good at it, why wouldn't he practice it? I myself liked biochem, immunology, haematology, and I'm only decent at clinical ones and pretty shit at surgical fields so I want to go into lab medicine.

>>10529351
She fucked you up senpai

>>10529353
Somewhat true. Medicine is more memorization oriented, there are classes that are very logic like physiology, pathophysiology, biochem, immunology but it's mostly memorization. Anatomy = memo , clinical rotations = memo because you have to memorize the symptoms, corelate it with a disease you suspect, then make a differential diagnosis, and know what meds to give them. Oh yes, and pharmacology = memorization heavy.

>> No.10529370

>>10529353
Sure, but you also need to know that you want it. There's a really high chance that you'll drop out if you pick medicine just bc you think you're hardworking and didn't think about it for a longer time
>>10528494
I'm afraid to even actively search out a gf bc I think I can't do both gf and uni. I think one will always suffer. At least for first 3 years of uni and especially this one where I'm walking a very thin line

>> No.10529381

>>10529075
Medicine always looks differently from outside perspective, sometimes when people get in they realize they thought it would be something else.
What you need to realize is:
the work is emotionally demanding
you virtually have no right to make mistakes and be lazy (depends on specialty, but if you survive being sued cause of your mistake, youd still have to deal with your own concious, in some specialities you simply aren’t allowed to make mistakes)
no matter how good you will be you will meet lots of ungratefull people in your life
if you are in it for money tough luck because salaries of doctors are and will slowly go down excluding greedy people from the field (which isnt really a bad thing)
to sum it all up if you are good doctor you are doing gods work but nobody cares, if you arent good doctor than you might as well dont be one at all, in this field being mediocre is not neutral its negative (not saying it isnt still full with mediocrrity)
Overall its still nice to get into if you have messiah complex or just really interested in field and dont care about setbacks
Concerning neonatology i suggest you do at least some volunteer work to see it all from inside, dealing with newborns is hard even for most doctors and nurses, it would be good to find out if youre good for job before you lose years of your life studying it.

>> No.10529383

>>10529366
>2
I agree with you that it is bad to boast about your skills. I said that in my previous post.

"an average student loves neurosurgery and is very good at it"
Yes. That is exactly what I said: you want the best students to be brain surgeons/

I don't get your response, you agreed with everything I said in my previous post.

>> No.10529385

What profession do doctors marry the most? Most of the doctors I know marry housewives. It is possible for a doctor to marry another doctor, and then later to have kids with wife?

>> No.10529389

>>10529326
>trains
Yup,it’s autism.

>> No.10529391

>>10529365
I didnt say im above average i said she is smart, reread my post

>> No.10529393
File: 99 KB, 723x691, 258 - DOVHRZb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10529370
>I'm afraid to even search for a gf
>tfw I'm engaged since 2nd year to another med student

>>10529383
I thought that you wanted to say that best students = students with straight A's or 10/10's. Like 10 at clinical rotations and surgery but dislikes neurosurgery and that student should still go into neurosurgery.

>>10529385
I'm engaged since 2nd year of uni. We're both medstudents, I posted this before, she wants psych, I now have 2nd thoughts about family med and want something else but who know what the future will hold. I think most docs marry either housewives as you said or nurses and transform them into baby making machines. My parents are both docs (Dad died in 2009, RIP) and it was possible to have kids altough they were both practicing the same spec (peds) and after dad died, mom went into family med for more money and to be able to keep us(me and my sister) in school.

>> No.10529394

>>10529389
I used to watch hours of train spotting videos on YouTube as a kid.

>> No.10529397

>>10529393
>baby making machines
stop right there

My parents are both engineers they work 40 hours per week. My uncle is a international radiologist and works more than 70 hours. I don't think I could do that.

What is your sister studying?

>> No.10529398

>>10529393
I know one on 4th year now who is married and has a kid, he was my demonstrator on anatomy

>> No.10529410

>>10529397
My sister is studying biology.

40h/week is what my parents practiced too. They had their private practice, otherwise if they were to work in a hospital, it would've been very hard. And I think you mean interventional instead of international?

>>10529398
I know a girl too who is in 4th year with me and had twins last year. Didn't "freeze" the year, just gave the twins to her mother and grandmother to take care of them. I know it's a shitty move and babies need their mother, but she really wants to finish medschool and start making money.

>> No.10529423

>>10529410
I meant to say interventional.

I'm glad that I'm interested in engineering and not medicine. Because I don't think I could live that lifestyle.

Either way, medical school is grade school. In other words, it's long time from now.

Thanks for the help, anon.

>> No.10529427

>>10529423
*graduate school
I also wanted to add I should not think too far ahead of time. Because I do will in high school does not mean I will do well in university.

>> No.10529432

>>10529423
>>10529427
>Because I do will in high school does not mean I will do well in university.

Happens all the time in medschool. Most 1st years drop out because they can't believe how big the workload is compared to HS. Memorizing so much is mentally exhausting. Good luck with engineering, anon.

>> No.10529437

>>10527785
The "i want special treatment" ones.
>so you're not a doctor yet
>I'm an intern, let me get an IV started
>can't nurse do it
>I can do it just fine, can I have your arm please
>go get a nurse
REEEEEEEEEE
>>10527833
It'll be ok anon <3 you'll probably fuck some patients up, but that's all part of residency
>>10528139
There are borderline retards among them and there are some exceptional people. The majority is acceptable though. Not NPC level, but not geniuses either.

>> No.10529473

>>10529437
When I had my ER rotation, a 30 something female came in with nausea and vomiting. The resident I shadowed told me to draw blood after she's done with the patient's history. I was lucky I didn't mess it up because the attending came in and screamed at the patient because she didn't told us she was HIV+. The attending knew because she was an old "client" that came in and out of the ER. So I had to get her up to GE and while we were in the elevator she told me that "I don't find it important to tell you that I'm HIV+ if my symptoms are nausea and vomiting, it's something personal". Well, bitch, me and the whole ER found it interesting enough to wear gloves and masks around you for our safety.

This is the patient that I hate the most. The "know it all missing the important things" patient.

>> No.10529602
File: 598 KB, 1536x2048, IMG_20190407_100602.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is biomedical engineering any good?

>> No.10529605

I get a mild itch in the throat when eating eggplant, but that seems to be it. Can I safely continue eating it, or should I stop?

>> No.10529612

>>10529602
I guess.

>>10529605
See a psychiatrist regarding your hypochondria.

>> No.10529696
File: 170 KB, 360x346, 1553031280164.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10529605
>>10529612

>> No.10529740

>>10529605
A lot of food allergies only cause mild itching. You're probably fine.

>> No.10530057
File: 722 KB, 1456x1046, 1 - UPN65wL.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10529605

>> No.10530299

>>10529365
To be fair, the average IQ for people in med school is far higher than in the general population. 125 based on a few studies, if I remember correctly.

>> No.10530314

>>10529385
Here (Northern Europe) it's mostly other doctors. The females who can't get other doctors usually marry engineers.

>> No.10530418

>>10530299
Link pls. I'm a 115 IQ med brainlet.

>> No.10530433

>>10529394
BAZONGA!

>> No.10530441

6th year med student from europe here, need advice from the older colleagues.
since i'm almost done with med school, i need to pick my specialty soon. i'm torn between something meaningful but hard and easy but boring. (anesthesia vs family medicine)

i'm not sure if i'd be able to have hobbies and family if i pick anesthesiology (being on call, stress...) but family medicine seems mostly paperwork and boredom.

>> No.10530474

>>10530441
Altough I'm younger than you (4th year EU), I can give you the advice my mom gave me (Family doc). Practice something that you enjoy doing because in the end you're still a doctor, if you like anaesthesia (in your case) then do it, yes, it's stressful but it's also rewarding. Family med isn't only paperwork (I can tell you that because I practice there every summer), you do check ups, get to diagnose, you're the first line in a non-emergency case but I can agree on the fact that is not as prestigious and rewarding as anaesthesia.

>> No.10530513

>>10530474
yeah, that is good advice. thanks.
just out of curiosity, where do you study? there is summer practice in my country too.

>> No.10530520

>>10530513
Romania. What about you?

>> No.10530534

>>10530520
croatia. ex-socialist shitholes, both of us huh

>> No.10530545

>>10530534
Pretty much yes, lol. Good luck with your residency exam, anon!

>> No.10530549

>>10530534
UniZg?

>> No.10530551

>>10529075
>I understand the sheer workload behind being a doctor, both in school and on the job.
I’m not trying to be a dick, but no you don’t. Especially as a first year undergrad student. I’m not sure how the process works in Canada but in the US it is EXTREMELY demanding to become a doctor. If people aren’t 100% convinced and devoted they almost always drop out.

>> No.10530598

>>10530545
thanks mate, you too.

>>10530549
yeah. you?

>> No.10530618

>>10530598
2nd year repeating, Zg

>> No.10530629

If cosmetic changes weren't a thing or didn't happen, would plastic surgery be a meme spec besides helping out burnt victims?

>> No.10530637
File: 83 KB, 948x443, iq.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10530418
Matarazzo & Goldstein, 1972; Wecshler, 1972; Hauser 2002. To be fair these are all pretty old, the amount of doctors has increased and propably the average IQ has dropped a bit.

>> No.10530642

>>10530637
Thanks. Nice to see the IQ increasing, but for nowadays it's probably true that it might've dropped.

>> No.10530644

>>10530629
nah plenty of trauma to cover up. Depends on your definition of cosmetic changes. Do things like breast reconstruction after a mastectomy fall under it?

>> No.10530650
File: 66 KB, 863x601, iq2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10530642
Here's a pic of the most recent one from Hauser.

>> No.10530680

>>10530629
No. Look up Harold Gillies who was probably the first “modern” plastic surgeon (early 20th century). He is best known for facial reconstructions for soldiers injured in WWI (and he did a damn good job).

>> No.10530701

>>10530644
Yes it does. Was thinking only about burn victims, not horrible accidents. Now it makes sense but it still feels like the average plastic surgeon only does breast implants for rich thots or noselifts and such.

>>10530680
Thanks, I'll check it out.

>> No.10530706
File: 26 KB, 467x413, 227 - SsOZUjT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10530650
>legal occs over natural sciences
/sci/ on suicide watch.

>> No.10530707

How easy/hard in terms of difficulty and time would it be for a GP to learn veterinary medicine on the side?

>> No.10530711

>>10530707
As a family doc you have to be open everyday except weekend if you want to make decent money. Let's say you work 8h/day and yeah, there's no way. Sorry.

>> No.10530715
File: 124 KB, 1067x1067, 1554651278645.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10527437
Is anyone here worried ai or automation will make doctors/surgeons obsolete

>> No.10530761

>>10530715
Won't happen. At least not this millennium.

>> No.10530764

>>10530707
It's a separate profession for a reason.

>> No.10530797

>>10530715
They will not replace doctors in a while. When there is no need for us, there won't be any other jobs left either. The most likely outcome is the reduced importance of medical knowledge/skills and increased focus on interaction skills. Nowadays I have pretty much all medical knowledge at my fingertips and treatment algorithms for most common stuff. The spread of AI will make this information constantly more accessible, so basically I have to remember less "trivial" stuff all the time. We have a lot of diagnostic and predicting algorithms in development and some in use at the hospital I work at. Stuff like algorithms that take all the patients data in the ICU and predict their risk of death in 48 hours and longer. These kind of assessments are nothing that experienced doctors can't do on their own, but the algorithm allows inexperienced doctors and residents to make the calls as well. Same thing with diagnostic algorithms in path, cardio, rads, etc.

>> No.10530817

>>10530715
No. Not in your lifetime.

"The judgements involved in clinical medicine are quite complicated and nuanced. I know the computer science crowd often likes to claim they have a computer system that “diagnoses diseases better than doctors”. What that usually means is that if you input a set of symptom codes into your computer system, it will match those to the disease that, according to the guidelines, most closely aligns with those. That’s all well and good and has some potential to support clinical decision making. Speak to anyone who actually has to speak to patients, examine them and identify their medical issues and form a management plan, though, and you’ll find that to be rather unsatisfactory."

Most importantly, and most overlooked by anyone who hasn't practiced clinical medicine: you cannot rely on patients self-reported symptoms to make a diagnosis. Patients will tell you all sorts of shit, some of which is true, some exaggerated, and some underreported. The symptoms need to be filtered through the critical eye of someone very experienced.

Getting the correct information from patients and sorting the signal from the noise on history and physical exam is an art, and takes years of experience to refine.

>> No.10530844
File: 112 KB, 1280x720, 113 - BScWvik.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10530817
fucking based

>> No.10531001

>>10529385
Nurses

>> No.10531054

>>10529297
>How do I know if I like medicine?
Most people doctors feel drawn to the field when they are in their early to mid-teens.
>If I like biology in high school does that mean I will like medicine.
In most cases yes. Much of medicine is an extension of chemistry, physics, and especially biology.

>> No.10531086

Women in medicine.
After reading tons of /pol/ threads about women in the workplace, while never having a real job, I have gotten the impression that women are not the best coworkers. So I have a question about female doctors. Are they competent and why did they choose the field? Did they simply choose the profession because of the status, do they have a genuine passion for the field and do they genuinely like to help people?

>> No.10531099

>>10530817
this

artificial ""intelligence"" is a dumb fucking semantics game smooth brains try to play

>> No.10531112

>>10530715
Only sociopaths. Medical scanners for early identification and maybe cursory diagnosis should be a top tech priority even if it is essentially scifi magic right now.

Even where Star Trek level scanners available now it would 'hurt' Pharmacists and not Doctors. It would be a Godsend for GPs.

>> No.10531134

>>10531086
very low effort post.

>> No.10531163
File: 31 KB, 300x400, 5749375983.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10531134

>> No.10531226

What's the best residency for someone who wants to research?

>> No.10531255

>>10531226
I swear I'll post it in the OP from now on. This question has been answered for numerous times.

The big ones:
Oncology, Clinical Lab, Pathology
Mid ones:
Allergology & Immunology , Anaesthesia, Infectious Diseases

Shit tier: The rest.

>> No.10531283

>>10531226

none. med students are notoriously terrible at research

>> No.10531291
File: 391 KB, 937x658, 110 - 6ZwJ9zb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10531283

>> No.10531720

How long till the medical tech position becomes automated and should I just become a PA even though i really want to be Med tech

>> No.10531776

>>10527785
>What's your least favourite type of patient to deal with?
anyone who says anything other than fat people has never had to deal with patients

>> No.10531835

>tfw brainlet with 3.3 GPA
>tfw prob gonna be a retarded DO
s-still a doctor r-right guys

>> No.10531893
File: 109 KB, 444x444, 1530402517080.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10531835
tfw
where are you applying m8
n-need some ideas

>> No.10531997

>>10531835
I had a friend who had a 3.8 gpa, 33 MCAT, and had killer extra currics ,only to get waitlisted by all MDs. So instead of reapplying, he just went to a DO school and is now applying for residency.

So not all is lost..

>> No.10532032

I was fasting for the past 5 days with just drinking electrolyte water to try to lose weight after trying lots of other options

The water that I made was 1L of water mixed with

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nosalt (potassium chloride)
1/4 magnesium citrate
1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt

i was doing fine until day 5 on the fifth day my heart started to feel pressure around it sometimes i would get random pain. if i got stressed about something my heart would get a cold feeling.

i couldnt stand it anymore so after one day of regular eating i went to the ER. they said my EKG results were fine and my electrolytes were normal and there was probably a "muscle pulled".

What are the odds of a muscle pulled that can cause so much distress? Should I go to the cardiologist?

help me med bros plz

>> No.10532059

I worked as a medical scribe for a year before realizing that being a doctor was not for me. I hated the patients no matter how much I deluded myself into believing that, "he/she was probably having a bad day."

Emergencies never turned out to be life threatening. Drug seekers were always feigning some obscure pain. Diabetic / obese patients never followed their respective diets or prescribed medication, thus leading to a constant cycle of repeat ER visits. Patients were always giving attitude and being cunts about trivial shit, despite having all their needs met by the physician.

How did you guys make it to med school, while still having a semblance of hope for humanity? After my experience in the ER, I'm fully convinced that you literally have to be a delusional bloomer in order to continue this profession.

>> No.10532064

>>10532059
I spent 3 weeks in GP and 2 weeks in ER before uni and I really liked it. I could really see myself working in that enviroment and I wouldn't say for myself that I'm a delusional bloomer

>> No.10532168

>>10532059
Patience is key. EM was one of my favourites, the sudden adrenaline rush and being unpredictable at times, make EM one of the top specs for me. Most of patients don't come in with an emergency, but you have to admire the doc's patience, explaining to each patient in a calm manner that what they came in for doesn't represent an emergency and if they want to go with the procedures, the patient will pay. Like, that's savage.

>> No.10532240

>>10532059
> How did you guys make it [through] med school, while still having a semblance of hope for humanity?
protip, they didn't

>> No.10532254

>>10531720
Not in your lifetime, anon. If you don't want to be first assist, then go for tech. What tech do you want to become?

>> No.10532266

>>10532032
Did the symptoms dissapear?

>> No.10532271

>>10532059
Honestly, my feeling of superiority is so huge, that there is no way they could ever get under my skin.

>> No.10532274
File: 166 KB, 905x487, 284 - FHfA8ho.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10532271
>feeling of superiority
Just say "arrogance", bro.

>> No.10532284

>>10532059
Spoken by someone who has truly experienced and understands emergency medicine.

Because of EMTALA, the ED cannot refuse service to anyone and becomes a dumping ground for every type of human scum imaginable.

Fortunately, the farther away you get from the ED (inpatient --> outpatient --> specialty consultant), the more selective you can be about the patient population you accept.

I myself don't have the patience for the patient population of emergency medicine ("SIR WE'RE JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU SIR"), but I commend anyone who does.

>> No.10532290

>>10532032
Heart problems come in four flavors:

1. Electrical - the conduction system
2. Piping - the coronary arteries
3. Heart muscle - cardiomyopathy
4. Valvular

If your ECG was normal, lytes were normal, heart sounds normal on a stethoscope, and you are young and otherwise healthy, it is extremely unlikely there will be something a cardiologist can find to fix.

Discuss your problems with your PCP/GP, and he/she may find other causes of chest pain. for example, acid reflux

>> No.10532319

Are anaesthetists the physicians with the best knowledge of pharma?

>> No.10532323

>>10532319
Not sure but I think it's up there with emergency med. Both have a huge variety of cases which require different treatment.

>> No.10532348

>>10529473
That's why I started assuming everyone has either HIV or HBV/HCV infections and always use gloves and desinfectant. It's a healthy habit and you kinda prevent nosocomials.
>>10530817
Based and redpilled. I've been trying to explain this, but I couldn't say it any better.
>>10532319
They're pretty advanced if not the best. ICUs basically cover the worst of everything so you have to know your shit.

>> No.10532355

>>10532348
I use gloves too but I'm very clumsy and always fuck up something easy. I'm glad I didn't fuck it up that time.

>> No.10532387
File: 79 KB, 482x427, 2D06B695-2180-40A6-B547-664E39B9B487.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw want to ‘shadow’ former professor who is also a doctor, but too autistic to make a call
why am i like this

>> No.10532412

>>10532387
What spec? Hospital or private practice?

>> No.10532415
File: 199 KB, 830x535, WHATDOTHEYWANT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Did a degree that qualifies me for research (Phys/Anat undergrad basically)
>Do honours after a year of inactivity
>Starting to get the feeling I will never make it in research
>Honestly doing the best I fucking can and I just don't feel like it's enough
>All the other students are miles ahead of me
>Study 5 days a week, work 3 to survive
>So tired I am beginning to burn out. Constant dull ache behind my eyes. Can't sleep well due to stress.
What are my fucking options? I turn 26 next year and I'm like 50k in debt, studying something I know I won't make it in.

Fuck dudes. Should never have gone to uni.

>> No.10532440 [DELETED] 

>>10532415
Gen surgery

>> No.10532445

>>10532412
Gen surgery

>> No.10532460

>>10532415
Why physiology and anatomy? Pharma, cell biology, immunology are so much better to research.

>> No.10532465

>>10532445
Pretty fucked up, friend. You should shadow one of his residents instead, gen surg ex profs won't even look at you.

>> No.10532543

>>10532415
You can get good employment in eastern Europe. The pay is absolute shit but at least you will have a job.

>> No.10532544

>>10532465
Thing is he offered us it himself im just too autistic and am anxious/emberrased to call him and ask

>> No.10532545

>>10532543
Pls, we don't need more Indians, their English is already bad.

>> No.10532589

>>10532544
Just call him, dude wtf. If he offered to teach you, he expects a call to know when you'll come in. Stop being autistic, get your phone and call him.

>> No.10532651

>>10530706
ofc anything that takes more education will tend to have more intelligent people and law degrees take much longer to complete than natural science degrees

>> No.10532707

>>10532543
I already have a job with shit pay tho

>>10532460
I did what I enjoyed doing. Now I know that was a bad move.

>> No.10532745

>>10532707
>I already have a job with shit pay
Then you're set. Welcome to research. The only way to do research and have money at the same time is to choose some non-clinic spec to go into and has various research objectives such as pathology.

>> No.10532962

>>10531893
Still need MCAT so a year or so out from applying. Prob juat gonna shotgun every DO in the Northeast

>> No.10533053

>>10532962
As long as you don't want to move abroad, DO is fine.

>> No.10533154

>>10531835
There’s literally nothing wrong with becoming a DO. I know good and bad DOs, just like I know good and bad MDs. The letters after your name aren’t indicative of your quality as a physician.

>> No.10533266

>>10530534
learn german, come to Germany.

>>10530715
AI will not replace docs, but docs who use AI will replace those those who don't use it. otherwise >>10530817 is pretty spot on.

>> No.10533278

>>10533154
as long as they don't propse osteopathic manipulation, that stuff is border pseudoscience

>> No.10533377

>>10533278
Chiropractors, kek.

Actually, now that this came up, do you have to finish medschool to become a chiropractor?

>> No.10533436

>>10527833
You need a daily meditative practice like Yoga or hot tea and just chill, observe your mental and emotional reactions and let these feelings pass

>> No.10533440

>>10532032
Diary of a hypochondriac

Prescription: stop being a dumbass

>> No.10533444

>>10533436
What are this, hints for pregnant women?

He needs to prepare, start to exercise his interview with some critical friend and just try to not to think to much about it.

>> No.10533454

>>10532415
>Sleep problems

Try 30-50mg of CBD 1-2 hours before bed

>> No.10533456

>>10533444
> just try to not to think to much about it.

Examine the above statement. Non-thinking (or non reactivity to thoughts/feelings) IS the skill developed by meditative practice.

>> No.10533499
File: 1.42 MB, 600x337, 50 - otiwuFe.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10533444
>hints for pregnant women
FUCKING BASED

>> No.10533574
File: 30 KB, 300x300, 6a00d8346fb29c53ef017eea77253e970d-800wi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10533499
Come to think of it, yes.

>Lamaze breathing techniques
>Start with a slow deep breath as your contraction starts and then slowly breathe out, releasing all physical tension from your head to your toes. ...
>Slowly inhale through your nose and then pause. ...
>Each time you exhale, focus on relaxing a different body part.

Same shit medfags, same shit

>> No.10533662
File: 21 KB, 480x377, 448 - rYOcv85.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10533574
So meditation tehnique = non-surgical baby delivery tehnique

Holy shit, someone research this pls.

>> No.10533718

>>10532254
I haven't decided what I just decided upon the general field of Med tech.
My dad just gets on my case about the field turning automated.

>> No.10533722

>>10533377
Chiropractors don't go to med school, they go to chiropractor school where they learn that cracking your back cures cancer.

>> No.10533787

>>10533718
Don't listen to him. Automation in med tech field won't happen soon.

>>10533722
I know what a chiropractor is, but I haven't heard of "chiropractor school" until now. Why do they consider themselves doctors anyway?

I sincerely thought that PM&R docs can do what chiros do + all that rehab stuff.

>> No.10533837

probably a retarded question, but I'm looking for some clarity.

when they say that the joint capsule of a synovial joint is 'continuous' with the periosteum of the joining bones, what does that mean exactly? because my instructor made it sound like the periosteum actually covered the joint capsule.

>> No.10533852

>>10533787
>Why do they consider themselves doctors anyway?
Because chiropractic schools grant doctorates. The tl;dr of it was that medicine in the US during the late 19th/early 20th century was a wild west snake selling shitshow and the medical field went into crisis, causing a bunch of splits in educational techniques and clinical approaches. It's the same reason why podiatrists exist, and why there are two different types of doctorates for physicians.

>> No.10533861
File: 138 KB, 722x704, A-general-synovial-joint.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10533837
Pic.

>>10533852
I got it now, thanks. When someone refers to themselves as a doctor, I always think physician because I can't imagine a chirpractor with a Ph.D

>> No.10533893

>>10533662
>So meditation tehnique = non-surgical baby delivery tehnique

That is exactly correct. There is nothing specific about it- applies to any kind of stress, whether entrance exams, interviews, childbirth... whatever

>> No.10534060

Does scoring a good mcat actually correlate to a good USMLE score as well?

>> No.10534283

>>10534060
Correlate, yes.

>> No.10534486
File: 619 KB, 1536x1024, 1528069784549.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I was born, there were complications. My mom went into toxemia and her fever spiked. It required a lot of work to get me through it alive. Just a few hundred years ago, that would have been it. We both would have died.
When my little sister was born, she had hydranencephaly. Fluid in a cavity in her brain where she had no corpus callosum. The pressure on her brain would have killed her. They were able to install a shunt to drain the fluid, and that machine has kept her alive. If that intervention were not possible, my sister would have died, and I never would have known her. No sharing Sour Patch Kids and watching horror movies. No Law and Order on the couch with my sister. No blanket forts, no playing house, nobody to be my Player 2.
My little cousin was premature. By a lot. If life support weren't as advanced as it was-if she had been born even decades earlier-she would have died. No Mama Cass. No older sister for the girls.
My aunt is like a mother figure to me. There was even a plan in place for her to raise me if something happened. My aunt got breast cancer when I was 8. If it weren't for medicine, that would have been it. S would have lost her mommy, too. I would have lost another mom. No more Auntie Apple. That would have been it. We never would have gone to San Francisco together. I never would have gotten to know and really love her. My grandma and grandpa would have lost their only daughter. My dad would have lost his only sister.
Her brother, my uncle, would be dead, too. The intestinal cancer would have killed him absent surgery. That would have meant no grandpa for my little cousins. No Grandpa Larry for my goddaughter. My grandparents would have lost their oldest son. Polly, Chris, and Vick would have lost their dad. Dead in middle age.
Her daughter, who is like a little sister to me, would have died. The cancer would have killed her as a 21st birthday present. Her parents would have had to bury their only child.
(CONT)

>> No.10534508

>>10534486
(CONT)
My dad would have died while I was in high school. The stroke would have killed him. I never would have gotten even the slightest closure in my relationship with him, and I never would have seen the side of him that somewhat redeems him. That would have been it. Both of them gone before I'm even 18. An orphan.
His dad would have died, too, when I was only 1. I never would have heard him play guitar or tell me stories. We never would have put together my first car in the garage in high school. I never would have gone on a road trip with him, watched cowboy movies with him, or just sat in silence and shared coffee with him. No Papa. That would have been it.
There would be no Chloe. My guts feel cold and sick and sinking and empty and twisted even thinking about that. My little cousin would have died and I never would have been able to watch her grow up. The little girl who picked up her sister, my goddaughter, by the hands and walked her around on her feet to teach her when she wouldn't learn. She would have died. That light would have gone out right there. Maybe they never would have had her sister, either. The End.
I know it's probably cliche as hell and not personal statement material, but that's why I'm doing this.

>> No.10534676

>>10532266
its not as bad as it was last night but i still get sharp pains sometimes
>>10532290
thanks ill keep that in mind
>>10533440
i swear this shit isnt normal

>> No.10534704

What residency has the comfiest lifestyle?

>> No.10534739

>>10529437
If there weren't so many interns who fuck up injections people might be less hesitant about it. Patients shouldn't go home with baseball size bruises because doctorlet couldn't find the vein on the 7th attempt

>> No.10534843

>>10534704
Derm, psych

>> No.10534939
File: 79 KB, 717x960, 1533343679463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10529437
>interns
I can see why people don't want to return home with pain in their arms and with moon sized bruises.
>"oh haha you must be nervous"
>"lend me your other arm" fails again
>"open and close your hand for a minute" fails again
>"let's wait for the chemist"
>wriggle the fucking needle while inside the arm trying to find the vein

>> No.10535060
File: 96 KB, 940x640, coldone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Electrical engineer here. I want to switch to pharmacy. I'm really good at math and chemistry. Do I need to be get at biology? Is pharmacy easier than med school, in Canada? Is pharmacy just memorization? Will being an engineer help me in pharmacy? Jobs is Alberta are shit for engineers.

>> No.10535247

When I walk fast for some amount of time (usually more than ten minutes) my lower legs (the muscles on the exterior sides of my shins) start feeling weird and eventually painful, to the point where I almost can’t walk properly and have to rest or the pain/pulling sensation becomes hardly bearable
What could be the cause of this? I have flatfoot but that issue has appeared three weeks ago so it shouldn’t be that. I also started lifting but I make sure to not strain myself too much during squats, and I almost never get delayed onset muscle soreness anymore.

>> No.10535266

Should I just bail out of medical imaging school? All the hospitals I've been to so far had an absolutely toxic work culture, and we get paid less than nurses unless you brown nose enough to learn MRI or advanced CT shit.

>> No.10535269

>>10532415
>fell for research
You don't do research unless you have unlimited money from your parents to keep you going until you're established. Blame all the rich foreign students for making it this way in civilized countries.

>> No.10535274

>>10535060
Not sure if you'll like biology. Compared to math and chemistry, which are based on logic, biology is based on memorization. Lots of it. Insane amounts actually. Pharmacy would be fine as long as you get into research and don't sell aspirin at Carrefour.

>>10535247
Visit a PM&R doc and get an MRI of your whole legs. It's too vague and can't give you any better advice than this.

>>10535266
If you're not happy with it, bail out. You're studying to become a rad tech, am I right? Then you should really learn CT and MRI, it's a must nowadays.

>>10535269
I think it's because there has been done so much research the past 100 years that we can't possibly come up with something revolutionary unless there's some genius that's conducting it. Research became "A study about carrots: Do carrots cause autism?" and that's it. Memes.

>> No.10535279

>>10535274
I'm not happy with it but I need to do something to make a living. My only other option is going full time at my part time job and I'd burn out from that due to injury and boredom very quickly. They teach us a little bit of CT and MR but no employer will even let a fresh grad near them until they've been working for over a year, and you're really friendly with the boss. I genuinely hate working in general x-ray but I kinda like the hospital work like portables and OT. Apologies for blogposting but I'm so sick of this shit.

>> No.10535283

>>10535247
Sounds like shin splints. Cause: being a physically inactive blob of fat who has allowed his leg muscles to grow weak through neglect. Cure: stop being an inactive piece of shit.

>> No.10535364

>>10535279
Then become friendly with the boss if that's the only way to learn CT and MRI. Rather than having a job that burns you out, you could at least give this a try. There are multiple specs where people are shit and yes, rads is one of them.

>> No.10535408

>>10532745
FUCK I KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>>10535269
>tfw parents aren't rich but probably would support me financially if I asked
Really, really don't want to put that on them. Damn guys. Fell for the fucking meme.

>> No.10535412
File: 70 KB, 960x894, 256 - fIJtrrV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got back home from pulmonology. So far it's an okay-ish spec, but I don't like all the tests they conduct in order to diagnose, it feels too much just for one pt. Saw a bronchoscopy today, lung cancer suspicion, visible mass on lower trachea and right main bronchus, pt was male, 60, heavy smoker, presented in the ER with haemoptysis, orthopnea, severe dyspnoea and diffuse chest pain with the highest intensity in the mediastinum region. Don't smoke, frens.

>>10535408
It's not over, anon. You can still do stuff if you change your research field.

>> No.10535419

>>10535283
I literally said I was physically active you daft cunt.

>> No.10535432
File: 128 KB, 800x800, 29 - 0P8fn2J.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10535419
>DAFT cunt
Aussie?

>> No.10535443

>>10535432
No.

>> No.10535495

>>10535412
>It's not over, anon. You can still do stuff if you change your research field
How? I'm already committed this year.

>> No.10535500

>>10535495
Not this year, apparently.

>> No.10535502

>>10535500
What do you suggest?
Nice dubs

>> No.10535517

Boys where do you get free e-textbooks? Google is only clickbaits

>> No.10535519

>>10535517
Pirate them

>> No.10535520

>>10535502
It's double dubs of truth so you should try pharmacology. You're already good at physiology, it should work, tbqh.

>>10535517
Torrents usually.

>> No.10535529

>>10535519
>>10535520
You could find whatever you needed on pirate bay? Because i cant

>> No.10535532

>>10535529
Most of the time.

>> No.10535533

>>10527785
The type of patients medical workers dislike are almost universal. Bipolars, fat people, the entitled, and the screamers.

>> No.10535535

>>10535529
I use kickass torrents.

>> No.10535544

>>10529085
I have anxiety myself, probably moreso than most of the "anxious" patients do. I find it annoying when anxious patients or family members demand attention despite there being dozens of patients in the ER that are critical and actually require medical attention. I am disgusted by them because I would never act this way with my anxiety. I know how to control it and not bother other people with it.
This is only one example, I do know that psychosis isn't controllable the same way anxiety is.

>> No.10535689

Kek worthy shit right here.

After pneumo, I came home and then I went to childcare class. They took us to the NICU, we were all equipped, as clean as possible, wash hands after touching every baby and so on. A woman came up to the NICU, in the room me and two more colleagues were just as we were examining a baby.

>Uh, what're you doing?
>Examining this baby
>Do you know who I am?
>I honestly don't know ma'am.
>I'm that baby's mother
>idgaf.mpeg

She took the baby and breastfed him. In the NICU? Is that allowed and shit? She told us to get out, I argued a bit with her and she called me a plucker, kek. Neo or peds, the worst interraction is with the parents.

>> No.10535764 [DELETED] 

>>10535532
What about types of patients docs enjoy working with, what are your types?

>> No.10535769

>>10535533
What about types of patients docs enjoy working with, what are your types?

>> No.10535778

>>10535769
Quiet, obedient people? Like everybody likes?

>> No.10535805

>>10535517
check /lit/ they know how to steal books from the internet

>> No.10535855

Hey all, I'm a med 1 student in Canada who has an interest in cardiology.

Curious what you guys, given that you have more exposure/experience, think about the cardiology as a career, the direction the field is heading in, etc.

My preceptor showed me all kinds of cool shit today that has really piqued my interest- electrophysiology, catheterization, angiograms, etc etc.

>> No.10535889

>>10535855
4th year EU here. Disliked cards a lot. You might find its logic but I didn't. It's okay as a career but imo it's exhausting and repetitive. You get to see the same old diseases everyday, procedures are okay, but diagnosis wise it's just boring. If you really really like it, then go for it.

>> No.10536493

>>10534704
definitely dermatology

>> No.10536609
File: 11 KB, 225x224, 228 - NuWr3ie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(18)32493-0/fulltext

frens, check this shit out.

>> No.10536804
File: 10 KB, 246x252, 1316023247505.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10534739
>>10534939
well I catch em on the first attempt most times and when I'm not sure I get help, but ok

>> No.10536884

Why isn't medicine taught so fucking weirdly? As in, not like a science degree.

>> No.10537201

25 is too old to start med school right?

>> No.10537698

>>10537201
lol just lol if you start med school after age 20

>> No.10537737

>>10527437
I went to the doctor so pls don't tell me to go, he referred me to the hospital to get my bloodwork done, which is not nearby, thus a hassle and I can only go with my mom's car which is next fucking week(let me tell you why).
My feet and calves (not knee) are basically burning and hurting, I can't move them. My calves feel numb. I move them by making dragging motions i can't even move around my ankles they're stiff. I've had the pain - while mild in beginning - for 2 weeks by now. Diabetes seemed to be ruled out, otherwise he'd prick my finger, right? Pls don't make memes that I'm fat, could also be due not exercising, and even then, I want srs answers (you can bully as long if it's informative).
What does this sound like? I don't have anything else but this. Though during being "sick", I've had this infection-like thing (yes doctor said it looks like an infection, but he wasn't sure) for approximately 2 weeks. Diabetes is possible if you don't work out. I have uni, work, but I am depressed (4lyfe) so could have actually diabeetus. If so I regret it and I'll move my ass around more. Should stop being scared and think of possibility of it being overcharge due weak muscles and sudden movements too, right? I don't want it to be something chronic, I'd be so depressed and it'd motivate me even further to never exercise again, minus proper income and uni, so proper welfare-NEET.

>> No.10537741

>>10537737
Nvm, this is not even the proper general. Can someone tell me which board/general I can use to ask med-students annoying questions?

>> No.10537783

Well I can contribute I guess instead of asking impossible questions.
>>10527437
I am 23 (in a few days), and I am doing pharmaceutical sciences. My plan is to get my bachelor's and get my master's in med-school. I don't give a fuck how old people think I am, I am not here to live for fat autistic NEETs like >>10537698
One thing is for sure, study hard before you apply, for the entrance and all. There's loads, I know them, of med-students who have had their masters already, and just decided to switch branch/course. Do you want to chase your dreams or get lagged because of fat autistic retarded NEETs like >>10537698? Your choice, anon.

>> No.10537802

I had this obstruction in my throat pop up suddenly one day almost 2 months ago. I could feel it when I swallowed for about a week until it (mostly) went away. It seemed to be above my trachea and esophagus since i could feel it both when i breathed and swallowed. A clinic told me it was probably a swollen adenoid (is that in your throat? it looks like it's closer to your nasal cavity. I felt the obstruction in the part of my throat in my neck.) and that it would go away eventually, which it mostly did. My throat felt normal for a couple weeks but it now feels irritated in the spot i felt the obstruction since i stopped using cough drops a week ago. My throat felt normal when i went to my physician a month ago so she wasnt concerned since it went away. Should i see my physician again?

>> No.10537806

>>10537802
My dad also had the same symptoms as me for ~6 weeks before it went away.

>> No.10537857

>>10535274
>1
So pharmacology not pharmacy?

>> No.10537992

>>10536609
Theres not enough info, what is their theory?

>> No.10538002

>>10537737
Are they swollen? What infection? Be more detailed instead of vague selfpity poster

>> No.10538034

>>10538002
>vague self-pity poster
Wanted to sperg but you're correct, didn't really explain so well.
Anyways, yes, it's swollen and red, from toe to calve. I don't know why I said infection, I meant to say inflamed. He said it looked very inflamed and it does. I can't fit in shoes (not self-pity, but to give you an idea).

>> No.10538039

>>10538034
The reddish color is not on my calves btw! Just the foot.

>> No.10538051

>>10531835
Drexler's Program for brainlets
Mededpath . org for 2 yrs Aus + 2 yrs NOLA
Carib for the MD (maybe) and residency (unlikely)

>> No.10538115

>>10538034
>>10538039
Only one leg?
I think it might be erysipelas, which is easier to get when you’re diabetic or generally immunodeficient. Can you take pictures of it in sunlit environement?

>> No.10538308

>>10538115
No, both. But come to think of it now that you mentioned erysipelas, I have for the longest time, 2 months, a mild outer-ear infection that doesn't seem to go away even with the topical antibiotics (though it did make it better? I mean it doesn't itch as much and is tolerable so I think it will go away) and iirc erysipelas can pair often with ear infections, but might be wrong.
You've been so helpful, but I'm afraid a foot pic would be out of my comfort-zone, as things on 4chan never go away.

>> No.10538313

>>10536884
Because that's how it works? The closest thing to be taught like science in medschool is biochem, physiology and pharmacology. What's your point?

>> No.10538451
File: 154 KB, 501x322, 2D3C9488-2935-42C8-9E46-7E4E91E1133D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10538308
Nigger its just a fucking foot

>> No.10538462

>>10537201

Not at all. The average age of commencing students at the medical school I want to get into (Canadian one) was 24 a couple years ago. I'm 23. I'll likely be 25-26 by the time I get into a medical program.

>> No.10538478

>>10538451
>he doesn't browse /fa/
And here's the reason why it's out of his comfort zone.

>> No.10538495

>>10527437

Would appreciate input from any medfags. For the record I am not in the USA. I'm a psychology student in my final year of studies but I think I fucked up. I wanted to do my PhD in clinical psychology or neuro psychology but after finally getting some real experience with research I don't like it. I can't see myself doing 5-6 years of research and being in academia anymore but it's waaay too late to change my major. I want to pursue psychiatry though. Most medical schools here don't require prerequisites but of course in my degree program I have not taken much sciences anyway. I have taken stats, intro bio, intro chem, neuroscience, and I plan to take 1 anatomy course for my own interest but that's basically it. I see that in the USA all your schools needs organic chem/bio chem/physics/calculus pre reqs but how relevant is that for the first 2 years of medical school? How much physics and organic/bio chem do you actually apply in med school? Because if I get into a medical school here or even abroad like in Australia for example, I am just not sure how well I would fare if I don't have a solid organic chem/physics/biochem background. I think with 6 months of practice and a prep course I can score somewhere between 505-510 on the MCAT (I was scoring 130 on CARS practice tests earlier and the psych/social science stuff is easy for me too) which should be enough for the schools I am looking at but yeah, being a non STEM major thinking of going forward with this seems intimidating. Not to mention if I do this and end up going to the UK or Australia for med I'd probably have to write the USMLE's as a back up. If anyone could please weigh in or recommend what my steps should be after I finish undergrad in order to have a decent shot at an MD program I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

>> No.10538521

>>10534704

Psych. Derm is often said to be the best but it is also one of the most competitive/least attainable. Unless you have connections, are insanely attractive and willing to suck cock, extremely lucky, or have been gunning for it from day one with lots of research, electives and excellent letters of recommendation, good fucking luck getting matched into a derm residency

>> No.10538542

>>10538521
>derm
>hard to get into
Probably that's for US. In EU, if you score in top 200 at the residency exam you can easily get derm. Hell, last year at the residency program they reached candidate nr 500+ and derm was still not taken.

>> No.10538563

>>10538451
>just a foot
But why do people here consider female feet like bobs n vegene?

>> No.10538568

>>10538542

In USA, Canada, and Australia derm is arguably one of the most competitive because of earning potential.

>> No.10538594

>>10538563
>having foot fetish in 2019
Absolutely disgusting

>>10538568
I know they earn a shit ton of money, even here they do, but most of them don't consider it because it's "pseudo-science" just like some people consider psych the same thing, sadly. Here the most competitive ones are: Cards, Rads, Psychiatry (especially the pediatric one), optho, cardiothoracic surg and endocrinology.

>> No.10538602

>>10538594

I don't think any medical specialty is pseudoscience. Psychiatry has its flaws but it has improved a lot compared to 100 years ago and it's very necessary in order to treat schizophrenics/serious depression and other disorders of the mind. Mental illness is not a myth like some people think it is.

>> No.10538612

>>10538602
Well, that's the reason why I used the quotation marks. There is no such thing as pseudo science in medicine, all the specs are useful, excepting aromatherapy and holistic shit. Also, idk why the consider derm a pseudo spec but they go for psych, kek. Residents these days...

>> No.10538621

>>10527833
Same age, same situation except I'm interviewing to be a nurse. Good luck, anon I hope I catch you shitposting at work so we can be bros
>>10530715
They still need someone to sue when it doesn't work.

>> No.10538651
File: 41 KB, 368x354, 306 - CxeLNtv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>pulmonology again
>our prof also has a spec in sleep medicine
>seen patients with sleep problems (apnoea mostly)

And it was fucking amazing. Now I want to go into IM and get that juicy sleep medicine spec too. I've never been more interested in a subject from the first time like I was now. The prof explained very well and each patient had one of those machines hooked up to their heads and oxygen tanks for when they're sleeping. Sleep medicine looks really fucking cool, treating underlying conditions to solve the sleep apnoea, discovering other conditions that cause it and so on. I never knew that sleep was such an important factor so far. Heck, I think I found the spec lads!

>> No.10538720

>>10538563
I thought it was male foot for starters, but i dont care now. Bitch how is someone suppose to help you if you dont cone halfway too meet... sheesh just wait for monday or whenever your gonna see your physician and let him help you

>> No.10538733
File: 158 KB, 836x543, 90B81C35-9A3D-4233-ADF6-3E80889902DC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wandering... never sure what destination to choose... what can someone choose where every speciality is so interesting feels like youre gonna miss out if you choose only one

>> No.10539011

>>10538733
Easy. Pick the one you like the most. If you like all of them equally then family med is for you.

>> No.10539117

>>10527437
I want those boots

>> No.10539268

>>10538720
;_; sorry. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

>> No.10539316

>>10539268
>saying thank you on internet
Absolutely based gf material. Would you marry a future doc like...me? *sweats profusely* *adjusts collar*

>> No.10540572

>>10538733
If you like them all, then as the other anon said, family med is a good choice. Picking a spec is a huge step for a future resident. Make sure that you're not going to regret your decision. Internal med is another choice but it's exhausting and if I had to choose between FM and IM, FM hands down.

>> No.10540708

Tell me about gender incongruent people.
Are they legit (or at least part of them)? Is it a medical condition or one born due to the state of society (e.g. highly sex segregated)? What is the medical consensus? How should it be treated, what are the proven effective treatments?

>> No.10540731

>>10537201
> not starting medicine before 18

I knew most people here were plebs

>> No.10540740

>>10540731
Started it at 18 but you're a piece of shit bro. When I had urology rotations there was this 50 something resident and knew his shit very well. Doesn't matter at what age you start medschool.

>> No.10540774

>>10540740
> not understanding irony

well, at least med students are the same humorless bastards everywhere and at any age

>> No.10540841

>>10539268
Cool

>> No.10540884

So, /med/, what spec are you the most interested in and why?

>>10540774
Thank you.

>> No.10540982

Any engineers here who went into medicine? How do you get into medical school without a biology/chemistry related degree in Canada?
I have a degree in electrical engineering but I don't like it very much and I'm not that good at it.

>> No.10541172

>>10538495
>I think with 6 months of practice and a prep course I can score somewhere between 505-510 on the MCAT
I would bet that you’re very wrong. You used to be able to bullshit your way through the MCAT without most of the prereqs (pre 2015) but that is long gone. Organic chemistry and biochem in particular plays a huge role in the new MCAT. You need physics as well, and an intro bio course is not going to cut it. My UG recommended 2 semesters of general bio, genetics, then cell biology/molecular genetics. You’d get raped on the MCAT if you don’t take most of these courses, biochem especially. Lots of people underestimate the MCAT but it’s not like other tests. Schools in the US will hold past bad scores against you.

As far as what’s useful for med school, pretty much just general biochem knowledge. Anatomy and physiology helps some but in the US you relearn it all anyway. I have never used orgo, physics, or the more complicated aspects of general chemistry during my preclinical years.

I don’t know where you’re located or exactly how the process is for UK/Aus, but I was a nontrad student with no prerequisites done after undergrad. I did an independent post-bacc where I took all the prerequisites in 2 years, took a year for ECs and MCAT study, then applied. My parting advice is BIOCHEM BIOCHEM BIOCHEM. It makes up a huge portion of the MCAT. If you want a good score, you have to be comfortable with it.

>> No.10541253

27 year old male with no previous medical problems, complains about an aching sensation in his chest, has lasted for 6 days. Shortness of breath during physical activity and can't work standing up without frequent breaks. Normal blood pressure. Everything sounds fine. Nothing in the ECG, insignificant ST elevation. Labs are clear, no sign of heart damage. Only thing standing out is Hb at 186. The aching eases a little when given antacids.

>> No.10541300

>>10541253
ok

>> No.10541310

>>10541253
You have acid reflux.

>> No.10541328

>>10541253
>in his chest
More exactly where? I assume it's in the epigastric region. What labs did the patient got? Biochem and CBC? I'd like to see coagulation tests.

>insignificant STE
Post ECG

Vague shit you're posting here my man.

>> No.10541581

>>10533861
This picture is misleading (as in shitty (as in doesn't explain shit)) though.
Almost no tissue is actually physically separate. Everything blends into everything & everything is continuation of something. Regardless, periosteum has little to do with a fucking joint-capsule, mate. Though the guy, the damn cunt, should have provided a little bit more context.

>> No.10541683

>>10541328
Sternum, CMP, CBC and troponin.

>> No.10541780

>>10541683
Coagulation test next, ASTRUP would be nice too. Mediastinum pain where? I'd go for a chest CT next. Hemoglobin at 186 could mean a ton of stuff, to rule out any embolus risks, coagulation test should be done.

>> No.10541909

so, /med/, the eternal question lies before us: when will we cure muscular dystrophy, and how?

>> No.10541923

>>10541909
Never, most likely we will be able to keep it under control in a way I can't imagine, and that's the wrong eternal question.

The true eternal question lies before us: When we will cure a disease that has been present since hippocrates was alive. Cancer. Each of them are different, there should be a different treatment for each single type of cancer. Are we getting closer to cure it? Idk. Meme cancer studies all over the place.

>> No.10541987

>>10534508
I wouldn't even have been conceived if not for people developing a way to implant eggs into mothers. my mom was infertile so they had to get a donor. it's pretty weird to think about

>> No.10542032

>>10539268
>wants help with her swollen inflamed legst
>wont even show us what they look like

Not only youre neurotic, full of self-pity and probably fat, but also a brainlet

>> No.10542064
File: 108 KB, 256x302, DD71A4A8-BD20-4050-934C-4479D59415EF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10529155
redundant

>> No.10542069

Is occupational medicine a meme?

>> No.10542161

>>10541923
Cancer survival rates are climbing for the vast majority of cancers.

>> No.10542168

>>10542064
As in all borderlines are women or all women are borderlines?

>> No.10542179

>>10542161
>survival rates
That depends on a lot of things. First of all, the individual, then how aggressive the cancer is, how strong the side effects from chemo/rad/immuno therapy are. There are indeed deadly cancer that advance very fast and from the time it's diagnosed the patient has a very short time until death (multiform glioblastoma, most forms of lung cancer and breast cancer)

>> No.10542186

>>10540982
Don't know for Canada, but here in the EU I'm opting for a pre-master's in Technical Medicine (currently doing EE) which will make me eligible for a general Medicine master.

>> No.10542221

>>10541923
It can already be cured they just don't tell you

>> No.10542230

>>10540982
I majored in system engineering (ie. systems analysis, operations research etc, applied math basically.) Don't know anything about Canada, but it was easy enough to go into medicine. Anyone reasonably competent can take in biology and chemistry very easily. Programming( bioinformatics and ML stuff) and math skills, especially statistics are hot stuff if you want to do research. I did a paper on using neural networks to analyze histological samples in my first year and now I'm drowning in people wanting me to come work in their groups.

>> No.10542250

>>10528139
My class of 75 has like 10-12 really bright people. The rest are just are a pretty unremarkable. I can tell you that none of the virtue-signaling girls who post Instagram stories with them in the hospital wearing a stethoscope are anything above average.

>> No.10542275

>>10531283
t. Test-tube grad student bitch in his 8th year and hasn't even found a dissertation topic

>> No.10542321

>>10541253
Kinda spitballing here, but he's either hypoventilating (Pickwickian) or he's got some mutation in his globin chain causing a higher affinity to O2

>> No.10542337

>>10542221
>they just don't tell you
/x/ tier post.

>> No.10542354

>>10542221
>It can already be cured, you just can't afford it

FTFY

>> No.10542717

>>10542321
Sounds interesting, but then what about antacids helping him? What's the connection?

>> No.10542785

Are podiatrists doctors? I just don't get it even after googling it.

>> No.10543659

How much physics there is in medicine?

>> No.10543682

What are some good resources that cover brain tumors and their behavioral consequences? This topic was widely swept over in my undergraduate neuroscience classes.

>> No.10543701

>>10538495
This is literally my situation right now, I made a nearly identical post last fall. Graduated last December and got a laid back residency job at this mental health organization. I'm basically a glorified baby sitter; the job is mostly just being there if need be. So much of the shift is just killing time (seriously, the amount of work I am required to do is about an hour), so it's perfect my situation with going back to school. I plan on taking 2 classes each semester, finishing in 1.5 years and taking the MCATs summer of 2021 and applying afterwards. It's nice to see other people in the same boat as me, I've seen nearly half a dozen people that went down the same route as us SDN and the premed subreddit.

>> No.10543727

>>10543701
Hey, I’m in the same boat. Got a psychology degree, got a job doing ABA and it’s usually super relaxed. Getting enough money from smart investments from my wages to cover my needs and have good GRE scores. Got good letters of recommendation from school and work and looking at Psy.D. programs now.

>> No.10543763

>>10543727
>Psy.D.
Aren't they a lot more expensive than regular PhD programs in clinical psych? Also you can't fall back on a cushy position at a university if you get burnt out from being a therapist.

>> No.10543777

>>10542032
>even /sci/ has its shitposters
Incoherent cunt/dick/whatever.

>> No.10543799

anyone know what the difference is between RN and PA?
i've done a bunch of reading but they still seem really similar

>> No.10543809

>>10543763
I have the money; I am familiar with the science and follow journals already, and have no passion for experimental design. Besides, Psy.D. Requires more supervised hours which helps with insurance coverage.

>> No.10543859

>>10543809
I wish you the best anon.

>> No.10544138

How the fuck do I even study shit without using Anki

>> No.10544615

>>10544138
>Anki
I don't get it, what's with anki? The time it takes to build a deck can be spent on studying/researching instead (dump your decks).

Maybe it really does help memorization, but it somehow seems more like a meme.

>> No.10544831

>>10544615
There are already pre-made decks (brosencephalon, Zanki, etc). Go ahead and try them yourself, and after a couple weeks watch your score shoot up on UWorld

>> No.10544839

>>10543809
Ayy I'm basically doing the same thing, except I'm going into a MSW program with a plan to do psychoanalytic training after getting the LCSW. I figure that if I burn out on therapy I can go into NPO management. Good luck.

>> No.10544902

>>10543799
PA is first assist and can practice on its own.

>> No.10544918

>>10544615
>can be spent on studying
So you gonna answer my question? How do you study without spaced repetition? My lecturers just throw a bunch of disorganized/tangential information at us and expect us to remember how to do practical shit without ever having done it before.

>> No.10544986

>>10544918
>how to do practical shit
To clarify.

Don't you have something akin to bio-chem club or surgery club? At the very least, an option to do volunteering in your local or university hospital.

Or are we talking purely academics here?

>> No.10544990

>>10544986
Pure academics

>> No.10545098

Why are medical examination, licensing and insurance so fucking expensive in america?

>> No.10545160

>>10541909
When crispr develops more.
>>10541923
Some cacners are treatable and with early diagnosis almost all are. Stage 4 is the tricky part. But I can put my money that cancer is going to become (and it actually already is) a chronic desease which is going to be manageable.
>>10542785
Hadn't heard of it, but after googling it appears it's a narrow specialty.
>>10545098
Because it's in the hands of private companies that work for a profit. You can't make health a profitable thing. (Not an american).

>> No.10545166
File: 201 KB, 1000x666, hbfyxeamc0h01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Tell doc I'm having trouble sleeping
>She sends me to get a blood test
>Go inside the clinc that takes my blood sample
>Check in at the reception, get some stickers I'm supposed to bring to the lab person
>Go in room
>It's just a fat girl with syringes
>Doesn't say a word
>I just handover the stuff to her and sit down on the chair next to her
>Hate needles
>Start sweating
>She takes my arm
>I look the other way because I hate the idea of the image of getting stung
>Tense up in my arm
>After a while I sort of move it by mistake, didn't even notice it
>Fat girl starts yelling at me
>Confused.jpg
>Older woman comes over and yells at me
>Tells me to lie down on this bed thing
>This time I get to relax my arm and it goes fine
>She tells me the reason why we don't win wars anymore is because men like me are weak
>Get out of there as fast as I can

>> No.10545170

>>10544918
>So you gonna answer my question?
Don't be a cunt, mate, "How the fuck do I even study" is a top-tier garbage question.

It shouldn't come as a surprise for you, but everyone is different, so try out different thing & see what works for you.

Often overlooked things:
Eat well.
Do plenty of exercise.

If your body is well maintained & working properly - retention will naturally improve no matter what your approach is. FFS, the most common "brain killer" is depression caused by poor diet & sitting on your ass all day.

>> No.10545187
File: 154 KB, 1280x892, 617 - tMZUrMv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10545166
You got absolutely rekt, my friend.

>> No.10545198
File: 28 KB, 480x451, 15 - 98tvMeY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10544918
>how do I study
Kek, why are you even in medschool? Also
>using Anki to memorize
Holy shit, kek

>> No.10545199

>>10543682
Check tripdatabase in the OP

>> No.10545204

>>10543659
Close to none. Cardiology is the spec that requires some physics but that's it.

>> No.10545213

>>10542069
>occupational medicine
Mine workers still exist?

>> No.10545277

>>10545160
What I mean is they use every opportunity to make as much money as possible. And its unfair as there's no competition so they have guaranteed customers.

I can't believe americucks pay for health insurance and still have to pay on top of that for anything medicine related.

>> No.10545280

>>10545198
Eh I finished top of my class because I only used memorisation tricks (maybe intelligence had a part to play) and never attended lectures.

Anki is good for bullshit like anatomy, pharm. Not so much for physio

>> No.10545284

>>10543701

Cheers thanks for the input, glad I'm not alone. Also my current part time job pays me around $22/hour just to sit on my ass. I'd say in a given shift I actually do about 1 hour of real, actual work too. It's good for reading/studying but if I had to do this for the rest of my life I would be extremely unhappy. My objective now is to put 100% of my efforts into becoming a good clinician, plus I love psychopharmacology seriously this stuff is fascinating. What country are you from? Canada? USA? Do you have any idea what schools you will apply to? I plan to apply mostly in Canada but have been looking at Australian, UK and Irish schools too.

>>10541172

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely pay a lot of attention to biochem then. I am from Canada, our med school requirements are weird. It's not standardized like in the USA. For example most schools have no pre requisites, a few have pre requisites but don't require the MCAT, others have no pre requisites but only evaluate your CARS section of the MCAT (all other sections ignored). Also in Canada there is no such thing as a formal pre med post-bacc but you can take courses as a non degree student or start a second undergraduate degree.

What do you think of Australian medical schools? I was thinking of applying to the University of Sydney MD program. My GPA is close to 3.7 so that would be fine. I just need an average MCAT score.

>> No.10545289

>>10543809

Psy.D programs are less research based right?

>> No.10545296

>childcare class coming up
I don't want to go, lads. It's boring as fuck. I wonder why they force us to attend when pulmonology takes no attendance.

>> No.10545392

Studying for my anatomy summative is so boring lads.

>> No.10545417

>>10545392
Mane, I would give my kidney to study anatomy again
What area are you currently studying about?

>> No.10545492

>>10545392
>Studying for my anatomy
Latin or English nomenclature?

>> No.10545819

>>10545280
I didn't attend lectures either, just studied and used anki in the past too but not for lone, maybe one semester? There are some disciplines where Anki isn't helpful so don't put your efforts into a shit app.

>> No.10545825

>>10545819
which fields don't mesh well with Anki?

>> No.10545836

>>10545825
Every single clinical and surgical one. You have way too many symptoms and differential diag for a disease than memorizing facts like in biochem or physio. Treatments too.

>> No.10545919

>tfw people are still using anki

>> No.10545925

>>10545921
>>10545921
>>10545921
>>10545921

BRAND NEW

>> No.10545995

>>10545836
Yes that's when you use your brain to understand stuff. Memorisation alone won't suffice

>> No.10546373

>>10543799
You should become a PA if you have the grades for it. They are actually independent with a lot of control in treating patients, and are only becoming more independent over time.
>>10544615
I haven’t found a better study method than Anki for classes where you have to brute force memorize hundreds or thousands of terms. Reading textbooks over and over is extremely inefficient and this is backed up by psychological literature. Repeatedly testing yourself (like with flash cards) is the best method for long term learning.
>>10545284
>What do you think of Australian medical schools? I was thinking of applying to the University of Sydney MD program.
I’m not really sure in comparison to Canadian schools. It’s fairly easy to move there and practice from the US, but you have to repeat your residency IIRC. There was a bit of a media frenzy a couple years ago over people arguing whether or not Australia should continue taking immigrant doctors. They were dealing with a serious shortage in rural areas but I’m not sure how that was resolved, if at all. This might not be relevant to you since you’re looking to attend school there, but it might be something to look in to before you commit. I’d imagine it’s quite a headache to get licensed and practice somewhere else if you do all your training in a foreign country.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-09/calls-to-stop-giving-overseas-trained-doctors-visas/7706612

>> No.10547029

>>10542168
yes

>> No.10547052

>>10531255
>radiology research is shit tier
you're retarded.

>> No.10547169

>>10545284
>What country are you from
midwest usa
>Schools you will apply to
I'm in Minnesota, and I'd like to stay in this region of the country. The only school that I am really leaning towards as of now is the University of Minnesota Duluth. It's less competitive than the Twin Cities campus. However, I still have a little over two years to apply so I'll be looking into more schools overtime.

>> No.10547201

>>10546373
Do you/did you make your own Anki decks for each class or did you find them online? I've always used Quizlet for flash card memorization, but I would just make my own flashcard sets based on lecture notes. I've found that memorizing concepts has worked the best when I can see the term/concept and thoroughly explain it in my own words.

>> No.10548522

>>10529085
making people hate you is pathognomic of bpd - I wouldn't worry about it