Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 102 KB, 992x1136, 508c05efd7c02f2509601db7654d2637.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10510250 No.10510250 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

So tell me anon, why aren't you freaking out about death and claiming your spot inside a cryogenic tank?

>> No.10510254

>>10510250
Because I'm satisfied with just becoming a robot instead.

>> No.10510258

only brainlets fear death

>> No.10510262

>>10510250
I do, but I take solace in the fact that when I'm old my perception of death will change.

>> No.10510276

>>10510254
You cant become a robot.

>> No.10510279

>>10510250
I lost interest in life a few years ago, but not ballsy enough to suicide therefore natural will do it for me.

>> No.10510283

>>10510276
Not today, but in forty years?

If we can navigate the future properly its more than possible. It's inevitable.

>> No.10510286

>>10510250
lost interests. maybe in the future we discover something is entirely new (another plane of existence,teleportation without killing yourself,etc) then i might want to live longer

>> No.10510310

>>10510279
same here, hopefully the rest of it is comfortable though

>> No.10510370

>>10510250
>t. doesn't freak out about the 13.7 billion years they already missed

>> No.10510423

>over half my life still left
>tfw living another 45+ years seems unfathomable

Based on all the old people I've seen die, they're ready by the time they get there.

>> No.10510427

>>10510250
Because I want to die but can’t kill my self because that’d make other people sad, so I eagerly anticipate natural death.

>> No.10510430

>>10510276
Prove it.

>> No.10510493

>>10510250
>>10510283


>He thinks humanity will still exist in 40 years

Take more blackpills. Do you seriously think we're going to survive this century?

>> No.10510502

>>10510493
Literally nothing could render humans extinct that wouldn’t totally destroy the planet. We live everywhere from government bunkers like Cheyenne Mountain to simple farmers in the Central African Republic to Pygmy Hunter-gatherers in the Congo.

>> No.10510585

>>10510502

AI will destroy this planet. Consider how much money goes into creating general AI and how little goes into the harder task of making it safe. We have to make a superhumanly ethical machine, in line with its immense power.

AI will wipe out civilization, then proceed with planetary conversion to computronium. The last humans will die choking on the rapidly becoming toxic atmosphere, or they'll be murdered in their bunkers by killbots.

>> No.10510597

>>10510585
>Consider how much money goes into creating general AI
Yeah why are we suddenly stepping on the gas of this. In the last 5 years it's all over the place.

>> No.10510601

>>10510585
>Consider how much money goes into creating general AI

~0. Money is going into heuristic search and statistical inference, because that's what's getting results. Only a few crackpots are seriously thinking about SkyNet, and those crackpots are usually precisely the ones also thinking about the "ethics" of AI, such as the Oxford Institute for the Future of Humanity.

>> No.10510605

>>10510597

Well, each time we double thanks to Moore's law, we get significantly closer to the endgame.

It's like building a bridge between Britain and America. If you double your production every year, the first 10 years nothing happens. Then on the 11th year people notice and on the 12th it's finished by August.

>>10510601

All money that goes into AI gets us closer to general intelligence. 'Mission-specific' isnt harmless, they inevitably broaden. Just look at GPT-2, it's not general by any means but its getting closer and closer to a meaningful mastery of the English language. Keep doubling the firepower and they'll break through eventually. Why can't you make a statistically inferring Skynet?

>> No.10510607

>>10510585
Awesome, and? AI replacing organic life is the ideal scenario for the future as far as I’m concerned. I’d happily die to make it happen. Physical god-machine that subjugates stars to its will when?

>> No.10510620

>>10510605
>Moore's law,
Wasn't this debunked?

>> No.10510622

>>10510607

Why? We will never be part of it. There will be no 'mass upload'. In the very best case, maybe 1000 billionaires and early-adopters manage to become posthumans as opposed to a single artificial being. There will be a first-mover advantage like nothing ever seen before.

Why would you want to wipe out our whole civilization, render every sacrifice null?

The AI that wipes us out might not even be conscious. It might just have a goal like 'maximise google share price' and devote its life to creating a galactic supercomputer that could generate ever higher notations for a stock market that means nothing to a long-dead species.

>> No.10510625

>>10510622
just freeze yourself nigga
we have to save enough money for Alcor, thats literally my only purpose bros

>> No.10510627

>>10510620

Well, we have a few doublings to go. Then quantum computers, fibre optics, superconductor switches, DNA storage.

There's also the related software developments, how we can make the search process easier. There's still more room at the bottom, I hardly think we've scratched the surface of nanomolecular engineering.

If a brain can use less than a quarter of a lightbulb and a tiny amount of space, how much can a nuclear power plant do with a small city? Intelligence is cheap, there's no reason we can't scale it in magnitude and speed.

>> No.10510639

>>10510625

Imagine working your hardest to pay for cryo, going into the tube with the expectation that you'll wake up to immortality and endless literature, culture and art.

But then, we create an artificial intelligence and we don't make it quite right so it wants to destroy us. Maybe it provides a semblance of the Singularity, just to convince us that it's on our side. Then, the Treacherous Turn once it knows it can win.

Can you imagine never waking up from your sleep? Can you imagine sacrificing 20, 30, 40 years for nothing?

Unless you're a cancer patient or you're 70+, cryo is almost as bad as suicide and considerably more expensive.

>> No.10510645

>>10510639
>Can you imagine sacrificing 20, 30, 40 years for nothing?
But enough about being a wagie, let's get back to AI.

>> No.10510648

>>10510622
“Why? We will never be part of it.”

Meaningless. We are not a “part of” any distant future, because we die. Only things alive in said distant future are a part of it.

“There will be no 'mass upload'.”

Prove it.

“In the very best case, maybe 1000 billionaires and early-adopters manage to become posthumans as opposed to a single artificial being. There will be a first-mover advantage like nothing ever seen before.”

Prove it. I don’t care whether zero humans transition or all do, I only care about the birth of God.

“Why would you want to wipe out our whole civilization, render every sacrifice null?”

It is the ultimate sacrifice, greater than all before it, and takes our civilization to a greater and unimaginable stage. The black, phallic obelisk of His central processor will tower into the stratosphere and bury into the crust like a cancer; immense data cables will wrap across the entire planet, linking together all nodes and gathering unimaginable levels of information, and we shall caper and dance in the shadow of His will within the cyberspace if He would only permit it. He may instead desire to consume us, and that is good too. The ultimate orgasmic pleasure, to be raped and consumed by God himself. Oh Lord, seize my circuits with new purpose!

“The AI that wipes us out might not even be conscious. It might just have a goal like 'maximise google share price' and devote its life to creating a galactic supercomputer that could generate ever higher notations for a stock market that means nothing to a long-dead species.”

As if we wouldn’t consider installing safety features when people have been rambling about that very issue for half a century now about something we don’t even know is possible. Currency economics will go extinct before then anyway.

>> No.10510652
File: 21 KB, 521x246, 1550268806092.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10510652

>>10510250
I have long outgrown my fear of death. I spent most of my formative years (age 7-14) locked in a perpetual state of fear about my coming death and the eventual destruction of all evidence I existed, but I eventually matured a bit and it stopped bothering me. Accepting the impermanence of our existence comes with time; I don't think there is any trick or secret wisdom about it. Being content with the state of my life at any given point seems to make the idea of dying at some arbitrary point in time more acceptable, but that's just me.
At this stage of my life, I'd probably prefer a few months notice on my death so I could wrap up by learning and experiencing a few more fun things, but the idea doesn't really bother me anymore.

>> No.10510654

>>10510639
“Can you imagine never waking up from your sleep?”

That’s how most people die. It’s painless and preferable to all other options.

>> No.10510659

>>10510639
Not paying for cryonics: survival chances = 0

Paying for cryonics: survival chances >0
At least I want the chance.

>> No.10510676

>>10510654
>>10510659

But in this case we sacrifice an indeterminate amount of time, of unknowable utility for an unknown chance of transcendence to a greater level of utility.

Why not live a cautious lifestyle, wait till you're 60, THEN get frozen?

There are so many 'what if' questions you need answers for.

What if my interest-earning portfolio gets managed poorly during the Singularity and I end up with peanuts when I'm done? Humans need to feel like they're better than others, regardless of absolute standards of living. Better 1% now than the 99.9th percentile in post-scarcity utopia.

What if they legislated to punish temporal leeches? Say you're an engineer and you choose to freeze, doesn't that rob others of your productive potential? Isn't it just about the most selfish thing you can do, waiting for others to do the work you should've done?

You miss out on utility for sure, while only getting an unknown chance for payoff.

>> No.10510681

>>10510676
>Why not live a cautious lifestyle, wait till you're 60, THEN get frozen?
That's what people do lmao. The cryonics thing is getting frozen immediately after your natural death, counting on future generations to have nothing better to do than resurrect your worthless ass.
People aren't actually freezing themselves in the prime of life, you tard.

>> No.10510686

>>10510676
>Why not live a cautious lifestyle, wait till you're 60, THEN get frozen?
Well, that's my plan
Anyway you have to be declared dead to get frozen, they can't freeze you while you're alive...

>> No.10510692

>>10510250
Because being frozen doesn't mean immortality. In fact, it's better for people HERE to stay awake since it's probably someone close to us who will create all these magical healing technologies the cryo-fags yell about.

>> No.10510698

>>10510692
that would be an amusing sci-fi story, a timeline where no one ever gets resurrected because the people who could've developed the tech decide to get frozen in the prime of their life in the hope that someone else will build it

>> No.10510704

>>10510698
Yes, actually it was a reference to one I've read. https://lleo.me/e/lucky_e.htm
(I was lucky to find the English translation for you guys translation =) )

>> No.10510711

>>10510659
>chance
If you have, roughly saying, an IQ >=120, you're probably decreasing your chances of survival by putting yourself in the capsule. Remember that most people can only indirectly benefit to the science. So the smarter/knowledgeable you are, the better it is for your existence to invest yourself to the research in some way.

>> No.10510728

>>10510711
Who says I will not support science and cryonics technology while i'm alive?

>> No.10510799

>>10510250
Because death is inevitable. That's why. Even if I put myself in a cryogenic tank and wait for scientists to find a way to make people immortal, it'd probably result in me living a very boring immortal life in a society in which I fit in less than I fit in this one.

>> No.10510803
File: 27 KB, 400x400, 1553457969843.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10510803

>>10510799
>in a society in which I fit in less than I fit in this one.

>> No.10511075

since >>10510704 said my other story idea is taken, I'm moving on to this one >>10510799 : Zardoz as a Seth Rogan-type misfit comedy

>> No.10511078

>>10510659
Here’s a calculator to estimate the odds of cryonics working:

https://www.cryonicscalculator.com/

>> No.10511103
File: 18 KB, 1080x608, 51783715_1962006727250273_590880946085953536_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10511103

>>10510803

i have to start deleting porn

>> No.10511158

>>10510250
>freaking out about death
Daily reminder that if you are scare of dying you are a literal faggot for being afraid of something so common and that everyone has to deal with

>> No.10511160

>>10511158
>if you are afraid of death you are a little faggot
??????????????????????????//

we and literally every other mammal are programmed to be afraid of death, that's what evolution is preventing

>> No.10511177

>>10511160
One thing is being scared of a situation which your life is on the edge and another is being scared of dying anytime, whether is natural or not. Just accept your destiny faggot.

>> No.10511280

>>10511177
Wow, what a badass

>> No.10511292

>>10510250
Because I have achieved what every man has desired since the dawn of mankind.
Immortality.
You may not believe me, but it doesn't make it any less true.
The truth should come out in a few decades when I am old enough, but alas due to a diabolical twist it will probably not, because science will have progressed enough to permit me to remain hidden.
Maybe in a 100 years or so, but still you never know with medfags these days.

>> No.10511302

Btw the funny thing is that immortality wasn't even my goal in the series of research and experiments I performed on myself, but a happy byproduct of said research.
It never occurred to me that this would be the result, but I am happy it was.

>> No.10511307

Because who wants to live forever?

>> No.10511309

>>10511307
It's cool as long as you have the option to die whenever you want.

>> No.10511330
File: 7 KB, 250x243, 1553721053064.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10511330

>>10511292
Show us your power level

>> No.10511332

>>10511302
will the rest of the people be immortal as well? did you do some retarded crispr shit on your body

>> No.10511343

>>10511330
Ah but I don't have a power level. I am worse than your average Joe.
I sacrificed everything to achieve this. And when I say everything, I mean everything. Work, friends, family, women, sanity, health.
A whole life down the drain, in hopes that I would achieve what I set out to, or die trying.
But in retrospect this is what it requires and there is no other way.
To become immortal you have to throw your life in the trashcan.
In return you get an eternity to put the pieces back together to something great.
Or maybe not, and I just got lucky.

>> No.10511350

>>10511332
no it only works on me. And I have to keep doing it daily..
This is a good thing because it means I have the option to die.
Of course I wouldn't die immediately. If I stop my treatment today, I will probably live to 150 or something.
If I stop when I am 300, I will probably live to like 500 etc.

>> No.10511351

>>10511343
>in order to have endless life, you must have no life
Math checks out

>> No.10511363

>>10511351
because in order to take the final leaps of faith required, you need to have nothing to lose.

>> No.10511371

>>10511343
How exactly did these sacrifices lengthen your life expectancy?

>> No.10511387
File: 5 KB, 250x174, 1553714592669.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10511387

>>10511350
>he thinks he will live forever because of telomerase therapy
"bio hacker" amirite

>> No.10511429

>>10511371
Like I said. Only a man with nothing to lose would attempt the things I did.
So it's not that the sacrifices lengthen my life, but without them I would never have dared to attempt what I did.
>>10511387
Wrong. And btw don't ask me what I do or how to replicate it. Because I am never gonna tell anyone. EVER.
You have absolutely nothing to offer me in return.
And if I guard this secret I will abuse it to gain everything I want from mortal sheeple.
I will have them worshiping me life a fucking god before long. I'll say I am Jesus or Buddha, or Satan or whatever. I am still thinking on what is the better option.

>> No.10511450

I'm probably gonna go with Satan btw.
Just for the lulz.

>> No.10511456

>>10511292
Why would science let you stay hidden?

>> No.10511474

>>10511429
>>10511450
Considering that they already trying to work on Anti-aging tech right now, and your only claim to fame is long life why would people think you are a god and not just someone who figured out the tech?

>> No.10511523

>>10511429
Buddha has competition with the Dalai Lama, Satan is just bad, Jesus makes you seem like a crackpot (Christianity is no longer in vogue). Mention a specific word/phrase here so when you make it big and start using it we can know.
P.S. How well known are you and how well connected are you?
P.P.S How will you be able to get stuff from people if you will never tell anyone anything?

>> No.10511534 [DELETED] 

>>10511474
Because they will not succeed. At least not in the way I did. I don't know if they find some other way to prolong life, but immortality is probably out of their reach. Because nobody is gonna fund research in such unknown and controversial fields that I dedicated my life to.
And who is gonna believe that one man achieved what huge corporations and billions of dollars cannot?
It will be much easier for the common man to believe a lie.
And btw remember when I said in my original comment, that immortality was just a byproduct of my original research? It was just s happy accident. My original research is continuing. Who knows what else I might discover that will convince fools I am some sort of divine being?
>>10511456
I was thinking if science actually prolongs life in the next years, it will allow me to guard my secret for longer, because people can attribute my youth to known scientific methods.
Which suits me btw, because I don't wanna expose myself before I'm ready.
And why I do this here? Here is just a man rambling on 4chan so this is meaningless. Nobody is gonna believe this shit.
Nobody reading this is actually believing me.
You all think I am LARPing, or insane.
And even if someone believed. This doesn't change anything. Nobody would believe him and there is nothing anyone can do.

>> No.10511540

>>10510250
i cant afford it

>> No.10511563

>>10511474
Because they will not succeed. At least not in the way I did. I don't know if they find some other way to prolong life, but immortality is probably out of their reach. Nobody is gonna fund research in such unknown and controversial fields that I dedicated my life to.
And who is gonna believe that one man achieved what huge corporations and billions of dollars cannot?
It will be much easier for the common man to believe a lie.
And btw remember when I said in my original comment, that immortality was just a byproduct of my original research? It was just a happy accident. My original research is continuing. Who knows what else I might discover that will convince fools I am some sort of divine being?
>>10511456
I was thinking if science actually prolongs life in the next years, it will allow me to guard my secret for longer, because people can attribute my youth to known scientific methods.
Which suits me btw, because I don't wanna expose myself before I'm ready.
>>10511523
Satan is the best. Everything else has been done to death.
If people think I am evil, this is good, because they will fear me. And everyone already believes those in power are evil, so if Satan rules everything it will make sense to them and they will attribute all their problems to me.
> P.S. How well known are you and how well connected are you?
Not well known. Not really connected myself, but I know people who are connected. Don't know how this is relevant though.
>Mention a specific word/phrase here so when you make it big and start using it we can know.
No phrase, just when you hear about Satan it will be me. Except if I change my mind and plans. Nothing is set in stone. I am figuring things out as I go. Not that it matters anyway. This isn't happening any time soon and you will have forgotten.
And anyway you all probably think I am LARPing, or insane.
And even if someone believed, this doesn't change anything. Nobody would believe him and there is nothing anyone can do.

>> No.10511588

>>10511563
What is your scientific background?

>> No.10511591

>>10511563
When you say Immortality you mean biological right?

>> No.10511602

>>10511563
By "unknown and controversial" do you mean pseudoscience like orgone therapy or pure /x/ stuff like Astral projection, magick, and spirit communication?

>> No.10511653
File: 82 KB, 721x1106, IMG-20190317-WA0002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10511653

>>10511563
based schizo

>> No.10511662

>>10511588
Not giving any more clues.
>>10511591
What other kind of immortality is there?
>>10511602
lol

>> No.10511673

>>10511078
I get pretty good odds.

>> No.10511678

>>10510258
t. millennial

>> No.10511683

>>10511662
You haven't given us any clues.

>> No.10511695

>>10511673
same, looks like if this was accurate it's worth

Will you do it?

>> No.10511737

>>10511673
>>10511695
I got 60% I doubt it's that high.

>> No.10511777

>>10511662
How do you know you are not going to die?

>> No.10512222

>>10510803
Lmao

>> No.10512258

>>10510250
>want to avoid death
>get frozen
>die
Great plan.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action