[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 102 KB, 1200x960, wididnwanad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10504039 No.10504039 [Reply] [Original]

I'm an average hard working citizen. Not by working hard, but by being "unusually" (not that much, maybe 1 in 100) gifted and lazy. If i applied myself and put in as much effort as other people at my level did, I'd be much further. But I don't, because why should I? I can obviously get really far by being half drunk/high and only doing the absolute minimum, why try harder?

Now I don't know what the average level of /sci/ really is, but I'm pretty sure most of you actually put in some effort into whatever you're doing. Why? How? Sure, if i did apply myself I'd probably compete with the absolute best in the world, in whatever i decided to approach, but why? There is literally no reason of doing so. I have a roof over my head, money enough to travel whenever i want, whatever food I want to eat whenever i want to eat it, can also get whatever friends I'd like to have. What is the allure of becoming the best?

>"Y-you gotta save the humanity anon..!!"
Why? If I don't, someone else who is slightly better than me, or slightly worse, will do a just good enough job without me. I'm not siginificant.

So, question: Why are you applying yourself? You don't need to.

>> No.10504274

>why
For the glory of success and to ruthlessly humiliate anyone who has ever doubted me and tried to put me down because of it.

>> No.10504306

>>10504039
I want to be rich. Just “comfortable” doesn’t cut it.

>> No.10505242

>>10504306
Why rich? What’s the reason? Why not anything else but rich?

>> No.10505251

>>10505242
Not him but it allows you to live even more comfortably and with room for error. You can also bring your family and those important to you along and take part in your more expensive hobbies that you wouldn't normally be able to do with just comfort (ie. for me, it would be attending a number of Formula 1 grand prix)

>> No.10505252

>>10504039
I apply myself because it’s a much more interesting outcome when I do. Being in my safe zone (i.e. never tackling things that cause my to exert my abilities, avoiding challenge) is boring. It just makes life worth going through, since the process is probably just as engrossing / satisfying as the outcome

>> No.10505253

>>10504274
There you have it folks. Bullying is the key to success. Without it, we get unmotivated and civilization collapses.

>> No.10505261

>>10505251
Yeah, but I feel like after a cutoff (around 150k in the US for personal salary), you can manage the money to do whatever you want. 300k and above seem worthless if I have to go into careers that I don’t enjoy. If anything, doing a fulfilling research career, traveling everywhere for conferences with my best work buds, and pondering interesting questions is the reward, and the 100k+ is a bonus that lets me live comfortably with my girlfriend

>> No.10505274
File: 92 KB, 1418x1425, 1545433456987.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10504039
I took on.destitution and poverty for the sake of all God's creation, till the ego in service-to-self died and was reborn in service-to-others. Love and compassion is all I exist for. I take none of my person seriously, only my work.