[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 444 KB, 940x614, poison.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10499367 No.10499367 [Reply] [Original]

Pick your poison edition

Last one reached bump limit
old >>10485829

We discuss research, offer advice (the best advice we give is "SEE YOUR FUCKING FAMILY PHYSICIAN), shitpost and make fun of dumb premeds.

PA's, NP's and RN's (students too) are welcome!

I'm a 4th year med student from EU that will likely go into family medicine. If you have any questions, please ask me anything.

>> No.10499392

The vitamin C meme. So, how much truth is it that vitamin C "strengthens" the immune system and makes you better at fighting of the cold? Is this complete BS, or is there some truth to it?

>> No.10499403

>>10499392
"Thus, vitamin C has diverse role as an antioxidant protecting the immune cells against intracellular ROS production during inflammatory response, acting as an enzymatic cofactor and maintaining tissue integrity and plays a crucial role in formation of skin, epithelial and endothelial barriers [185]. Of late vitamin C supplementation has been found to be beneficial in various inflammatory conditions."

Here's the full article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3783921/

>> No.10499432

>>10499403
Thanks. This is anecdotal, but this year I started taking vitamin C supplements and I haven't gotten sick once this year, except for some minor pharyngitis whenever I stopped taking the supplements.

>> No.10499452

>tfw graduate and go to work
>tfw after several years of work you feel like an utter retard in every medical field except your own... and in some ways your own too
At least hating people makes me money now

>> No.10499471
File: 48 KB, 680x578, Ive+tried+a+lot+of+different+alcohol+since+my+parents+_239467f88262669b3a5534283e84283c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>graduate from CS with 2.9
>spent most of time partying in school instead of studying
>go out into the workforce and find I completely hate being in CS

Is it too late for me /med/ fags? Even if I got a post bacc degree would I be fucked?

>> No.10499485

>>10499471
>shut in computer autismo at highschool
>go to medschool instead of CS to force myself to leave the computer once in a century
>make it out suicidal and barely alive
>spend days hating myself and wishing I went to CS instead, try to learn programming after work but too burnt out for it
This grass isn't greener

>> No.10499486

>>10499432
Keep taking them. But keep in mind that they do not protect your form everything.

>>10499452
If you choose IM or FM, you'll be familiar with most of the clinical fields.

>>10499471
Not from US, I have no idea how they enter medschool with MCAT, interview and the whole stuff. But you can try, you know?

>> No.10499492

>>10499392
A vitamin C shot won't stop that cold. A diet rich in fruits and veggies might. A sudden intake of fruits and veggies in anticipation of a cold after eating like crap for years won't help. Being healthy overall will.
Considering that IV vitamin K can mean the difference between bleeding out and not in deficient patients, vitamins can in fact save you, but Flintstones chewables aren't gonna cure a disease absent a deficiency or metabolic disorder.

>> No.10499531

>>10499485
You could be right. Still doesn't change the fact that I hate my profession and I'm not sure I can keep doing it for 40 years till I retire. Still though, I just wish I took a year in between college and highschool and really sat down to plan my life. Pharmacy or dental just seems like the girl who got away type thing.

>> No.10499558

So how blown out of proportion is the anti-waxer issue? Does it really affect the rate of disease occurrence in any significant way if a handful of retards decide not to vaccinate their child?
I have a feeling this is what mediocre people grab onto so that they can feel smarter than they really are by blowing anti-waxers out with facts and logic. It is almost like the creationist vs atheist debates on youtube back in the early years on Youtube.

>> No.10499569

How good is Chemistry as a major to get into med school? How much will it help me on the MCAT? Is it better to just major in biology instead?

>> No.10499570

>>10499392
It does nothing for a cold. That's BS pushed by the breakfast cabal. There is some evidence that Zinc supplementation can help with colds. Also most people are deficient in zinc because we wash our vegetables now (they are grown in "fertilizer" so you should)

>> No.10499585

>>10499558
>this is what mediocre people grab onto so that they can feel smarter
Anti-vaxxers are totally wrong and negligent but your statement is also correct

>> No.10499588

>>10499569
major doesnt matter for admissions just do the pre-req courses. You actually have a better shot if you get an interesting major like playing cello or some shit and do the pre-reqs too

>> No.10499609

>>10499558
This reminds me of a TV show from my country (Romania) from a few days ago. They invited a professor that teaches and practices pediatrics and a stay at home mom, anti vaxxer (she posts "naturist" recipes as an alternative to the flu shot). She brought her book and he phone and started arguing with the professor: "Let me show you, this book here says..." and the prof savagely replies "The difference between me and you is that I don't need that book." By the end of the show she held back her tears.

Now to answer your question, anti vax is pretty strong in this country. Mom has many patients that are not vaccinated, most of them being kids, and she doesn't bother anymore with the parents because it's exhausting and useless to talk to brainlet people that work 8 hours a day as a cashier or as FedEx driver., explaining to them the risks of not vaccinating their child. The movement itself is composed by soccer moms, sjw journalists and brainlets in general. The rate of flu was high, 100+ kids died if I remember correctly, mom had a patient that died of tetanus because he didn't accept my mom's vaccine, so after a few days he was rushed to the hospital with most of his muscles torn apart, kek. I hate discussing vaccines because it became such a stupid subject nowadays, my mom goes by "If you want to vaccinate your child, come here, if you don't, that's fine by me, it's not my child".

>> No.10499637

>>10499569
Degree simply doesn't matter. All that matters is your mcat score, your overall gpa, and your gpa in the prereqs. So ideally you would want a degree that tries to balance being easier and being something that would be a good fallback if med school doesn't work out for whatever reason.

If you can go get an engineering degree and still keep your overall gpa up, that's great because you now have a fallback career but most people can't keep their gpa for an eng degree. Same principle applies to something like a humanities degree. Sure getting a degree in humanities would be easier, but it also doesn't provide you with a fallback career.

You need to consider what's best for you and how you can balance those two things.

>> No.10499661

>>10499609
Wasn't in Romania measles outbreak year ago?

>> No.10499664

>>10499558
The point is that those things if left there to solve themselves will only worsen. So a strong approach is needed to prevent bigger problems. The ideal approach to this from a generic person would be quite sly and devilish but I won't explain just in case some anti vaxer retard is monitoring the thread in search for ideas.

>> No.10499679

>>10499661
Can't remember, to be honest. I don't really pay attention to that stuff, but it probably did. Everything's possible.

>> No.10499711

>>10499558
Why not just let anti-vaxxers do their thing? It's literally natural selection, and it's not even unethical this time since they literally ask for it kek.

>> No.10499721

>that guy who breezed through an engineering degree and went to med school just to see if he would finally be challenged

What do you say to that guy?

>> No.10499724

>>10499711
They put at risk people that aren't themselves. It's a complex thing when personal freedom is surpassed by collective rights.

>> No.10499727

>>10499711
Doctors would be fine with letting retard patients kill themselves but these mongoloids are putting their CHILDREN at risk. It should legally be considered negligence (or at least incompetence) but American law is absolutely wonky

>> No.10499728

>>10499724
But people who are already vaccinated aren't put at risk?

>> No.10499730

>>10499721
>that guy that moved from special ed to specialer ed to see if he would be challenged

>> No.10499732

>>10499721
I'd tell him to get some priorities or at least some pussy

>> No.10499733

>>10499727
Well it's still natural selection, just with a lag of one generation.

>> No.10499742

>>10499721
That school isn't meant to be a challenge, school is preparation for a challenge. Thus he's an insecure pussy for overpreparing.

>> No.10499743

>>10499728
They put at risk people that can't vaccinate for medical conditions (all kinds of acquired immunodeficiencies like all hematological pathologies that are relatively common in kids). One might say "fuck them" and it's not like I fail to understand the logic selfishness behind it, but this is a reasonable demand to live in a society. If it doesn't protect its own people, why does it exist?

>> No.10499754

>>10499743
>They put at risk people that can't vaccinate for medical conditions (all kinds of acquired immunodeficiencies like all hematological pathologies that are relatively common in kids)
But those people are at risk even in a fully vaxed society, just from different diseases. And it's not like the overall morbidity would be likely to increase with a bunch of anti-vaxxers. Only instead of flu they'd catch measles or whatever.

>> No.10499762

>>10499754
>But those people are at risk even in a fully vaxed society
Lower risk. Obviously, you cannot nullify it but lowering it as much as possible is a good thing. Why would you wear safety belts otherwise, it's not like people stopped dying from car accidents since its introduction.

>> No.10499771

>>10499762
Is it lower risk though? People get sick from different things instead. Them being sick temporarily stops them from going outside and catching other shit that'd make them sick otherwise.

>> No.10499785

>>10499771
Multiple sickness are multiple risks. Each of them goes on it's own, if you can prevent 9 of the 10 infective diseases (random numbers) that happen in a population you can lower a lot the risk for the kid. Also you can significantly lower the risk of him contracting multiple illnesses at the same time.
Contracting the illness can temporary stop them from going outside, but also possibly permanently. Much remarkably so with multiple ones.
This is clearly a "side" effect, most of the vaccine's usefulness is to prevent epidemics. But still important.

>> No.10499814

>>10499721
what was he, a meme engineering degree like construction or civil?

>> No.10499858
File: 60 KB, 269x369, 188 - bircwlJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10499721
I had no idea that making coffee for the rector and sucking his dick is considered engineering.

>> No.10500058

Reminder to the STEMfags that if you do math at work you are a mere technician. Med > STEM. Shouldn't you be applying for a grant right now?

>> No.10500085

>>10500058
>Fixing someone's problem is your job
>Not a technician
Alternatively
>Half of time is paperwork
>Not a beaurocrat
You're only digging yourself a deeper hole

>> No.10500261

Sorry for not posting a fun medical story and instead asking for advice on medschool, but am I doomed?
I had a brain surgery 3 years ago for bad epilepsy, which I still have to this day although it is much, much less severe. I want to go into medicine as a result of my experience to help patients going though the same issues I had. But I hear residency is essentially 48+ hours of in-house rounding, you're always on call, and never sleep. Sleep deprivation however exacerbates my seizures. Should I even bother trying for med school then? I doubt an entire uni department is going to bend over backwards about residency to accommodate my health.

>> No.10500416

Hey guys,

My sister is in a vegetative state and hasn’t had her period in the three months since it’s happened. Is it possible she may pregnant? From what she told me she was unable to have children. I’m pretty sure she would have regular cycles before this happened as well. Sorry to ask here I just need to know.

>> No.10500547

>>10500261
Kek, you want to go into neurosurgery?

>> No.10500552

>>10500416
interesting, i too would like to know

>> No.10500571

>>10500416
Look for changes in her weight. If she lost weight, it means that the body is asking for more nutrients, her metabolism demands more, which is probably pregnancy we're talking about.

Can't think of anything else, sorry.

>> No.10500579

>>10500571

She did lose weight but I think that is more attributed to her being on a feeding tube possibly? I just thought it was weird that she was having her periods right before it happened then they’ve stopped. I provide most of her care for her, so it’s unlikely I missed it.

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I think I can get the facility to give her a blood test.

>> No.10500580

>>10500579
>attributed to her being on a feeding tube, possibily?

Nope, actually people gain in weight when they're fed trough a tube.

>> No.10500793

Why does body have arteriovenic anastomoses in some parts instead of capillaries? (Lungs, under nails, kidneys...)

>> No.10500807

>>10500793
OP here, never had in mind this question, interesting one to be fair. This is an assumption, keep it in mind.

Because lungs and kidneys need a big amount of blood to oxygenate the tissue, the capillaries simply won't be efficient considering they're the smallest caliber of all the blood vessels. Also, they have a much smaller pressure than capillaries thus the blood can be ejected easily into the venous plexuses of the limbs.

>> No.10500818

>>10500416
Some women who can't have childrenhave they're periods like once or twice a year. Did you know if she had a regular period cycle before?

>> No.10500823

>>10500416
Easy one for you, friend. Get a pregnancy test and see for yourself. She's urinating in a bag, right?

>> No.10500868

>>10500807
This is what i found
>Superficial arterio-venous anastomoses open when the body reaches a high temperature, and enable the body to cool itself. As warm arterial blood passes close to the surface it will decrease in temperature. This occurs together with sweating.
Makes sense in extremities but doesnt in internal organs
But
>AVAs are found in many organs and tissues in vertebrate bodies, but usually in low numbers.1 The exceptions are certain areas of the skin and mucous membranes in mammals and birds, where they may be numerous.
This makes me think maybe they serve warming up the air through warming up lung tissue
>Arterio-venous anastomoses (AVAs) are direct connections between small arteries and small veins, with no capillary section between them. Since they contain no capillary segment, they cannot transport dissolved substances to or from the tissues. The only transport function they could possibly have is the transport of heat from the body core to surface areas containing AVAs.
I have a feeling they have other functions too.

>> No.10500923

>>10499392
You don't need supplements, just have a balaced diet.

>> No.10500942

>>10500416
it's more likely that her hormones are fucked up from brain damage/stress

>> No.10500952

>>10499558
The vaccination rates are constantly going down, the amount of unvaccinated kids has more than quadrupled from 2001.Sure, the percentages are low, but we are still talking about hundreds of thousands of kids.

>> No.10500957

>>10500952
But is that because of antivax soccer moms or because of immigrants and refugees?

>> No.10500962

>>10500952
*in the usa

>> No.10500967

>>10500957
The rate of unvaccinated kid is double for rural vs. cities (where immigrants and refugees live).

>> No.10501044

>>10500957
Soccer moms. Can talk about romania only. Rapefugees don't come here because we're poor compared to western EU. Mom has he private practice in a suburban area, the rate of unvvaxxed kids is still high, she does have wealthy patients but the poor ones are either fucked in the head and don't believe in doctors or they have no money and treat their kids with traditional medicine ( garlic + onion + polenta + a piece of cardboard, all of that tied up to the neck. I swear to god I'm not making this shit up, this is how a patient came in with vomiting and severe headaches. Apparently her gall bladder couldn't process the mercaptans from the garlic and she also had a boiled garlic and onion smell)

So yeah, here are vaccines for you. The wealthier patients are the best, they always listen, don't search the Internet for any medical information, they know their place and let mom do her job.

>> No.10501109

>>10501044
yeah but you live in Romania where everyone is an illiterate farmer who thinks cancer is caused by a gypsy curse. I'm referring to the western world

>> No.10501114

>>10501109
>everyone

Well, southern and eastern România are the worst. I'm from the west, we're a bit more advanced, barely any gypsies in this zone, but instead we have our magyar friends. And I swear to god magyars are much more educated than the average Romanian peasant that works an 8 hour job.

>> No.10501181
File: 346 KB, 439x500, Breathe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10499367
Can any /med/bros give me advice?
I'm 19 y/o poorfag. I'm going to attend CC soon. I plan on being there for 2 years, get my associate's and transfer to a 4-year. I'm very smart and focused, so I can handle heavy work loads and maintain a strong GPA. My goal is to become a psychiatrist. I was wondering if anyone can share advice about how I should go about all this and advice about getting into/how to handle med school, etc.

>> No.10501224

>>10501181
>I am very smart and focused
Learn humility. Being smart or intelligent has nothing to do with most of your medical school program, you use that later when you have to link signs and symptoms and make a differential diagnosis, but in the beginning it's all about memorisation. Please stop considering yourself smart or whatever ,like most of the brainlets from /sci/ do. You'll see how smart and focused you are when you get into medschool, all until that is considered arrogance and we make fun of dumb premeds.

>> No.10501230

>>10501224
I'm sorry. I didn't mean for that to come off as pretentious or as if I'm lacking in humility. I just wanted to point out that I "think" I'm capable of handling the amount of work and stress. I don't know though, that's why I'm asking for advice from users who do.

>> No.10501238

>>10500547
No, I was thinking neurology.

>> No.10501240

>>10501230
I'll tell you. Although I'm from EU, I guess we go trough the same shit. Anatomy requires a shit.ton of memorisation, biochem is boring and has nothing to do with medicine tbqh, physiology and pathophysiology are the most fun before starting rotations. If you get past the first two years, you're good to go doc.

>> No.10501243

>>10501238
Go for whatever you want. With your condition you should take surgical specialities off the list, psych should be fine for you. Give it a try, you overthink it, focus in getting into medschool first, think about specialities later.

>> No.10501256

>>10501240
Thanks, that helps.
Any tips on memorizing anatomy?

>> No.10501258

>went into rad tech school after seeing all the cool CT reconstructions and MRI shit on the course page
>it was listed as a tech course so I assumed I'd be doing a lot of cool computer based shit in relation to scans
Have had a few pracs now and boy was I fucking wrong. It's basically a whole job based around rolling fat people around on a table to get them in a basic, easy to hold fucking position to get an x-ray confirming they've fucked their (insert joint here) by being fat. Oh but no all hope is lost, maybe I'll have the pleasure of learning CT or MRI 4-5 years after graduating if I haven't already quit thanks to how bitchy all the other staff are.

Can anyone give me hope here? Operating theater work is pretty comfy if you're competent, and maybe I could do ultrasound if I don't have to do much gynecological stuff.

>> No.10501304

>>10501256
Flashcards. You can get Grey's Anatomy flashcards, they were a godsend.

>>10501258
You wanted to do computer work? Should've went with medschool and the into radiology. Remember, techs are exposed to radiations as opposed to radiologists, they're basically radiology nurses. Can't give you any hope. If you hate the job, change it.

>> No.10501332

>>10501304
I knew I'd work with patients but I thought there'd be more tech stuff involved, and not just button pushing that any old roastie with minor brain damage and stress disorders could do. Med school is on the cards once I get my undergrad but not sure I'd survive the workload, plus I have no way to pay for living costs during.

>> No.10501378

>>10501243
>take surgical specialities off the list
Definitely. My left side still goes numb every now and then, so I wouldn't want to be in surgery when suddenly
>oh fug, i can't feel my arm

Thanks anon. My medschool prospects are hopefully getting better despite a year of uncertainty. I immediately tried to go back to my normal uni load only 4 months after my surgery and got a horrendous GPA that I've since built back up.

>> No.10501388

>>10501378
Godspeed, anon!
>>10501332
You know rad techs can offer their opinion to the physician and it's usually accepted, right? Just need more experience. Don't limit yourself only to pushing buttons.

>> No.10501398

>>10501388
I know we can be a bit more than that, but overall my experience with the profession so far has been a very negative one. Often feels like it's the opposite to what someone with my personality type should be doing. I will however finish my degree since a job I dislike is still better than no job, and it's not like I'm better at anything else.

>> No.10501609

>tfw 13 hours till Cardio exam
>focus on the common stuff
>too many meds
I have like 4 pages at hypertension chapter that's full of meds and dosages. I can't memorise the dosages!! They're so fucked up, some are like 20-320 others are 40-480, nothing logical. I'm seething.

>> No.10501656
File: 154 KB, 501x322, A3AB21D9-0BCB-4730-9117-8B9EEBB091B5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10501609
Are you anon from last thread? Visualize you are studying in prison cell (where you will end up if patient dies because you were too lazy to study)

>> No.10501675

>>10501656
Fuck. I made myself some banana coffee smoothie and I have some croissants left but for fucks sake, cards is ugly.

>> No.10501684

>>10501609
UPDATE:

Prof's assistant messaged us. We have to be there at 8 am, meet her in the library, give us a patient each, and 20 mins to say what we suspect, treatment and investigations.

And yes, I'm the guy from last thread, also OP.

>> No.10501948

>>10501684
Good luck

>> No.10501971

MS1 who just shadowed a (general) surgeon for the first time and now I really want to be a surgeon and got to see numerous operations. Is this a common experience?

>> No.10502151

>>10499609
>"The difference between me and you is that I don't need that book
10/10 comeback, and I'm sure he felt great saying it, but this is an appeal to authority if I ever saw one. Why not let her state the quote she wanted and then make an argument against it?

The fact you went on to mention some "anti-vaxxers" work as cashiers or FedEx drivers just sort of drives this point home. If a guy with a job at FedEx is in excellent health, takes care of his body and actively reads up on vaccinations and their effects, why should I, as an impartial person who has never heard of a vaccination in my life, ignore what he is saying and listen to a guy in a labcoat who looks stressed and tired and assures me that I shouldn't question him because he's a Doctor?

And let's be honest, a tetanus shot to a guy who turns up at hospital with an open wound is hardly the same thing as giving a newborn child vaccinations to a disease that only a tiny percentage of the population get, and most of them homosexuals. If the corrupt part of big pharma hadn't gotten out of hand with this and stuck to diseases like polio then this would never have been an issue in the first place (for the most part.

>> No.10502537

Anyone doing Med/masters or PhD here? Was planning to go to med school but I realize I don't like dealing with people (at least in the manner doctors have to). I've heard of people doing and MD and instead of residency going to do a master's so they can still be involved in the medical field. My question is if you need both and MD and additional schooling or if just and MD or masters is fine. For reference I have a Bsc and am currently working. Appreciate any advice

>> No.10502836

>>10502151
>a tetanus shot to a guy who turns up at hospital with an open wound is hardly the same thing as giving a newborn child vaccinations to a disease that only a tiny percentage of the population get, and most of them homosexuals.
If you didn't know the risk of getting tetanus is also quite low, but since its a lethal disease (just like newborn meningitis, TB or diphtheria) it's still the safest thing to do. And btw you only think that a "tiny percentage" of the population gets the disease because most people are vaccinated. If no one had immunity I guarantee you those diseases "only homosexuals get" would be much more widespread.

>> No.10503146

>>10502151
He did. The question was about aluminium in vaccines. He said that a vaccine (can't remember which one) contains 4 micrograms of aluminium, it's not much compared to how much a newborn baby takes from his mother while breastfed, which is 28. She only had questions like these. Only from the book, it's disrespectful towards such a good professor to come in a TV show and ask him questions from a book, she clearly gave zero fucks, like most fucked in the head antivaxxers do.

>> No.10503219

>>10502537
> I've heard of people doing and MD and instead of residency going to do a master's so they can still be involved in the medical field.

Don't bother going down the MD route unless you plan to complete internship and practice clinical medicine. The only true value of the MD is allowing you to apply to residency and obtain a medical license.

There are some poor souls who complete medical school and realize too late that clinical medicine makes them miserable, and then use the masters degree as an escape route.

However, if you already know you have no interest in being a clinician then just stop right there.

If your goal is not to see patients on a daily basis, then just do a masters or PhD in a related field. There is really nothing the MD has to offer you.

There is a very special exception to this rule, the MSTP MD/PhDs. But if you have to ask what this is, it isn't for you. Their daily job is essentially the same as a normal PhDs researcher, and they have always intended to be bench lab researchers. However since they have completed medical school, they carry immense credibility with their clinical brethren, know how to "speak MD" and are able to bridge the bench-to-clinical gap. They are very few and far between, and unless you know exactly what this is and clearly know what your research goals are, this is not for you.

>> No.10503518

What can I do against a acute bronchitis? Im over the cold symptoms, but I still cough out/snort out the mucus occasionally.
Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Also whats the earliest sign that I can exercise again, I dont want to risk anything desu but its been like over 10 days since I got sick ;__;

>> No.10503543

>>10503518
Look at OP post regarding advice.

>> No.10503551

>>10503543
>>10503543
Its not like thats a special question that requires a doctor to See me though tbhh imo

>> No.10503554

>>10503551
So you haven't seen a doc and you just assume you have bronchitis?

>> No.10503555

>>10499661
Macedonia and Serbia had recent outbreaks too. We had just recently 50 cases of measles in Bulgaria too. It was probably an import from Macedonia and it spread in unvaccinated population.
>>10500416
I think it's more likely her reproductive system is shutting down.
>>10500793
Adaptive mechanisms. In the lungs non-ventilated alveoli turn on their shunting mechanism so that blood can be used elsewhere since it can't be oxygenated. In the kidney in shock like states the shunting is again an adaptive mechanism to redistribute blood where it's more needed (brain, hear and lungs). That's why with shock patients they often have AKI.
>>10501609
The fucking dosages maaaaan. They kill the med student.
>>10503518
You can have residual coughing and mucus after you've cured the infection for up to a month or maybe even more. Nothing much you can do about that. Suppresants if the cough is dry, ambroxol if the mucus is thick, herbal syrups and studd like that.

>> No.10503573

>>10503554
Yes. I mean does it really matter? First it was dry cough with other cold symptoms. Other cold symptoms went away now its only coughing up the muccus thing going on. I dont smoke etc.

>>10503555
But is it dangerous to lightly exercise again when the only Problem you have is the muccus/occasionaly coughing/chest area a little Bit sore from coughing?
I made the mistake of exercising during a cold and I was very weak for several weeks. Luckily no lasting damage on hearth etc., but now im kinda scared to do the same mistake again and I dont know enough about the illness to judge it desu

>> No.10503611

UPDATE FROM CARDIO EXAM:

Went in the library, assistant told me which patient to see, went into the room.

46y/o male, heavy smoker, drinking a lot of energy drinks, overweight but not obese. Heart sounds normal, lungs sound fine, make an ECG. Pathologic Q wave on ECG that confirms he told me the truth about having a heart attack 2 days ago. From his family, 55 year old father died of IM. No other diseases. Clean guy.

I look on older ECG's, the first one when he came in had STEMI in D2,D3,avF which means that it was an inferior IM (which I suspected since he told me he had severe pain in the epigastric area but the pain remained localized there + it didn't go away for more than 30 mins.)

All is good, I had my plan, go in to see prof and get my grade. He asked me only dosages and some minor stuff about the correlation between hypertension and IM (the patient only suffered an IM, healthy otherwise). Tenecteplase was the thrombolytic that was given, he responed very well, aspirin 75mg, clopidogrel 300mg, heparin 5000 Units (60-100Units depending on his weight) and a med that I forgot. Then, I had an ecocardiography video of a patient with the same diagnosis as mine, hypokinesia in the affected area (inferior, lateral and interventricular septum). Got a 9/10 because I forgot that med and didn't see the mitral and tricuspid regurgitation on the echo. So, I'm done with cards, pulmonology rotations coming up now.

>> No.10503627

>>10503611
grats anon!
will never understand the generic hate i see for cards in this general tho, it's one of the most intriguing specialties

>> No.10503643

>>10503627
Thanks, anon.

I think that you only see the cards hate from me. I post that I dislike cards very much. I forced myself to study this shit and seems uninteresting. But that's just my opinion, can't wait until 6th year to see how family med rotations go, I like diversity and chronic illnesses.

>> No.10503650

>>10503643
oh well everyone has its tastes
just the valvular semiology forgives everything else to me, it's just some of the most logical things i ever studied and liked it very much
too much of the same thing gets boring in all fields, i guess
a friend is about to graduate as family doc, he really likes it, hope you will get it too

>> No.10503656

>>10503650
I was raised by a family doc and help her out whenever I have free time. I can say that it's easily the purest speciality.

We haven't talked about valves that much at cards, instead we had only valvulopathies and valve replacement courses in cardiothoracic surg rotations.

>> No.10503961

>>10499485
sucks man. you still can find a way to do what you want and not waste your med degree and training, I was reading about how radiology machine-learning is superior to human reads already and could basically replace them if the political will were there, and that's just one field. Assuredly the people who are trying to do those things need medical consultants, maybe you could find one such company, then once you're a boardmember or a medical consultatnt you'd have a specific reason to look into programming instead of trying to do it with no goal in mind, which is tought

>> No.10504139

Patient stories pls.

>be me
>volunteer at ED
>pt comes in with one of his hands in a bag
>ask him how did he end up with one arm in a plastic bag
>road work, he got his hand stuck in that vehicle that lays down cement and tore his arm off
>walked to the hospital (it was nearby our hospital but still, he was very casual about it)

After putting his arm on ice and two calls later he was going in for surgery. Most badass son of a bitch I've seen. Seen him twice since this accident, he broke his nose once and the other time I just saw him working. 4 years later and I still remember him, didn't give a fuck, accepted all meds, most cooperative patient ever, did not even care about how hot our nurses were, he just wanted to get in and out ASAP.

>> No.10504257

Which IV fluid is best for alcohol intoxication? For sirs?

>> No.10504263

>>10504257
Saline and banana bag.

>> No.10504273

>>10504263
In which cases is ringers lactate recommended?
Also what about during severe alcohol withdrawal can you alleviate symptoms with iv fluids?

>> No.10504281

>>10504273
>R lactate
Saline is used more frequently, you can use that too, but make sure the pt is not bleeding.

About withdrawal symptoms, you can either give them ethanol. I can't think of anything else IV. Definitely give them haloperidol.

>> No.10504289

>>10504281
>>10504273
I found this. Was wrong https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2146916/

Read those papers.

>> No.10504346

>>10504289
Thanks will give that a look

>> No.10504350

>>10504346
Have fun. You give them ethanol if nothing else works, apparently. As I said, my bad.

>> No.10504364

>>10503573
Wait a while until it clears a bit. Physical exercise might irritate your airways if they still have a lot of mucus.
>>10503611
GJ anon, pulmo is more interesting IMO.
>>10504139
How the hell didn't he bleed to death? Did he have an improvised tourniquet or something?
>>10504257
Add glucose too. Glucose reserves go down with the methabolism of alcohol. An oldschool doc told me this method. Generous saline and glucose infusions (we have em in 2 in 1 bags here), furosemide and iv caffeine. This was when he worked in ER and he had drunks that took his beds so he needed to get them out ASAP and apparently this worked great for him.

>> No.10504377

>>10504364
Pulmo doesn't look that cool either, to be honest. But I guess it's a bit more manageable than cards.

He had one of those orange vests torn up and turned into a tourniquet, but what shocked me was that he didn't give a fuck and was extremely casual about it, like it happens everyday.

>> No.10504480

any RN students here? can you suggest where to start? thanks

>> No.10504501
File: 897 KB, 800x430, 1547361785224.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10500261
DIE

>> No.10504509

>>10504480
You're the first one that's interested in nursing in this whole thread, lad. You can just ask a question in more detail, maybe someone can help.

>> No.10504540
File: 256 KB, 750x750, 4654654bgf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just remember, vaccines have never gone through any of the following studies

Vaccinated vs unvaccinated (possible through VSD without violating your retard ethical issues)
Vaccine vs placebo study
Long-term heath study
Study of the vaccine schedule of cumulative vaccine study.

Vaccines are anti science.

>> No.10504544

I think I have GAD but my doctor still wants to monitor me. All I want are some medications to function in life. What to do? I have stuff to do but it's very hard.

>> No.10504555

>>10504544
Wtf? I have GAD + Panic disorder and my psych put me immediately on Paroxetine + Trazodone. Just tell your doc that. I spoke with my psych when I first started treatment that it affects my QoL and just can't attend lectures because agoraphobia kicked it, can't go in a room with a patient because claustrophobia kicked in, now I'm 100% back on track, those meds helped me out a lot.

Just ask your psych and tell him/her that therapy sessions simply don't work.

>> No.10504565
File: 380 KB, 1477x752, Adverseevents135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IOM found 136/155 conditions never studied. Great science.

>> No.10504571
File: 255 KB, 914x514, hep_b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hepatitus A vaccine has only been studied for 5 days.
They gave children an experimental vaccine, compared it to children who also got the same experimental vaccine (Where is the control?) And watched them for 5 days.
That is the best science vaccine have to offer.
Makes you wonder why they threaten their doctors with their licenses and careers for speaking to vaccine skeptics. It's almost like they can't even win a debate against non-experts.

>> No.10504581
File: 185 KB, 1305x763, vaccines totally safe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Vaccines kill an estimated 43,200 every year. If you even deny this number, you admit that we have no idea how many vaccines kill in a year meaning you are practicing blind medicine.
Compare this with the lowly reported rates of 500 or less for major diseases like measles.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/E/reported-cases.pdf
Find me any year here where you can combine every single disease and find a higher number of deaths cause than 43,200.

>> No.10504593
File: 73 KB, 1137x640, Placebo pyramid scheme.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not a single vaccine pre-licensure study has been conducted that compared a placebo to a vaccine with the exception of HPV which already has it's own slew of issues which you can read of here by peter doshi.
https://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f2865/rr-7
If you wanted access to the placebo based studies you had to be placed under a gag order, he didn't agree with it and he won in court the right to publicly publish these studies for the world to see. I wonder why they wanted them hidden?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/judge-orders-health-canada-to-hand-over-pharmaceutical-data-1.4745302

Imagine if we compared any other pharma product like this.
Replace the word "vaccine" in any vaccine study with another product like alcohol, cigarettes, other drugs, and you'll quickly see how garbage the study is.

>> No.10504604
File: 151 KB, 1148x598, A12290dscsd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You've looked at 2 of 72+ shots and you're going to say vaccines have absolutely no scientific basis for causing autism? Not only is it a lie that vaccines have no proof of causing autism, it's a lie that they've even studied vaccine(s) plural.
The IOM conducted a study in 2011 that looked at autism and vaccines.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK190028/
>Conclusion 10.6: The evidence is inadequate to accept or reject a causal relationship between diphtheria toxoid–, tetanus toxoid–, or acellular pertussis–containing vaccine and autism.
Where is that mountain of evidence? It doesn't exist, you looked at a single vaccine and made a blanket statement that all vaccines are the same.
Are all pain killers the same? Are all drugs the same? Are all medical interventions the same? They have completely different ingredients, given at different times, it is UNSCIENTIFIC to say vaccine(s) plural do not cause autism when you have not even attempted to study it.

>> No.10504617
File: 523 KB, 600x416, cigarettes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Doctors are the experts, thats why we listen to them!
I guess doctor's were right about thalidomide and cigarettes as well- oh wait, we found out the industry was hiding all scientific evidence.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/merck-created-hit-list-to-destroy-neutralize-or-discredit-dissenting-doctors/
Vioxx was safe, until we found out the industry was hiding scientific evidence proving dangers. Not only did they hide evidence, they attacked and attempted to ruin anyone bringing fourth evidence of vioxx dangers.

This same industry makes your childhood vaccines. What an upstanding company, I would totally trust them with my day 1 old baby.

>> No.10504627

>>10504555
my only concern is how its going to affect me in the long run.

>> No.10504632
File: 132 KB, 600x776, 1983 vs 2016 vaccine schedule.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://youtu.be/7UzQqan3uF8
>Is there any comment on using this vaccine with other adjuvanted vaccines?
>We have no data to make a recommendation one way or the other.
>While preclinical studies were not done using these vaccines simultaneously, our general approach to immunization is that they should given, or can be given at the same time in different limbs.
Imagine going to the doctors office every 2 months and getting 10+ different pills, none of which tested together, and now imagine if that doctor also received money for each of those pills. That doctor would be in jail in a heart beat and his license stripped away, yet because it's vaccines we say it's completely fine and there is no way any dangers could be present, but we're not going to test it to see if there is.

>> No.10504635
File: 64 KB, 540x935, 3tH4GeG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Vaccines don't cause long-term health problems, thats just purely coincidental. How do we know this? We don't, we just assume because testing for it would be unethical.

>> No.10504652

>>10504635
arent there any lab rat studies? pretty sure they would give some hints

>> No.10504659

>>10504652
Can't say for sure on lab rats, but we're also talking humans here, I want to know my day 1 old baby is safe from future harm before injecting it with chemicals within the first few seconds of life.
Every other pharma product conducts long-term health studies on people, yet vaccines don't. It's absurd.

>> No.10504670

>>10504659
i mean if we tested on a rat a massive mixed vaccines administration i guess we could see something, if theres something that can happen
the only vaccine given at birth is against HBV if mom is positive for it tho, all others are given later where i live

>> No.10504671

>>10504635
Erm, what about the billions of vaccinated people?

>> No.10504675

>>10504671
Okay, and we are seeing the sickest generation of people to ever exist. I won't say it's all vaccines, but show me a working vaccine injury reporting system.
Show me that we are accurately capturing vaccine injuries. Because VAERS doesn't even work.

>> No.10504693

>>10504675
because of cronic illnesses, only because medicine manages to keep alive people that otherwise would be dead
whether this is a thing you like or not, its not for me to decide
acute reactions are reported, but i guess your main concern is late consequences? realistically speaking it's impossible to make a believable unbiased study that links the vaccine shot to something that happens years later, while the consequences of not using it are certains and confirmed
but i also understand the pov of parents wanting to go with the "natural" way

>> No.10504694

>>10504675
>Okay, and we are seeing the sickest generation of people to ever exist.

Yikes buddy. You might wanna brush up on that epidemiological data. Or explain what you mean by sickest.

> I won't say it's all vaccines

Have you any evidence to point to it being vaccines in any way?

>> No.10504702

>>10504693
>realistically speaking it's impossible to make a believable unbiased study that links the vaccine shot to something that happens years later,
How about we do a double blind placebo study, every other product goes through it except vaccines.
>>10504694
I'm not arguing the total dangers of vaccines, I'm arguing they are completely unstudied. You haven't even compared a vaccine to anything except a vaccine and you're going to tell me it's safe? Imagine if we compared cigarettes to cigarettes or alcohol to alcohol for health. Wow, people who smoke are just as healthy as people who smoke, cigarettes are completely safe.

>> No.10504722

>>10504702
>every other product goes through it except vaccines
not all, if there's an effective drug on the market it's unethical not to give it, so it's confronted with the standard therapy and not placebo

>> No.10504726

>>10504722
You know we can still do observational studies and the VSD is available to perform this study right without violating your ethical view point of "Ya but we can't not give a day 1 old baby known neurotoxins and carcinogens.

>> No.10504737

>>10504726
as i said, no vaccines is given at day 1 beside anti HBV in mommy with it
observational would be biased by the fact that the cases are from a population with a high vaccinal % cover
VSD is that american database? not from there so dunno how it works, but same bias as above, plus if it's a self reported database it has low consistency

>> No.10504747
File: 278 KB, 1045x809, vaccineingredients.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10504737
VSD is not a self reported, it's a non public database of vaccines.
Vaers is the voluntary reporting system. 2 difference reporting systems.
>as i said, no vaccines is given at day 1 beside anti HBV in mommy with it
How about we do a study that is better than giving them hep B vaccine, comparing it to another group that also got hep B, and only watching them for 5 days?
http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm
https://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/r/recombivax_hb/recombivax_pi.pdf
>In three clinical studies, 434 doses of RECOMBIVAX HB, 5 mcg, were administered to 147 healthy infants and children (up to 10 years of age) who were monitored for 5 days after each dose.
wow, a whole 5 days. That sure caught a lot of adverse events.
ppetite, and rhinitis.
>In a study that compared the three-dose regimen (5 mcg) with the two-dose regimen (10 mcg) of RECOMBIVAX HB in adolescents, the overall frequency of adverse reactions was generally similar.
Wow, people who got the experimental vaccine had just as many adverse events as the people who also got the experimental vaccine? Color me surprised!
>In a group of studies, 3258 doses of RECOMBIVAX HB, 10 mcg, were administered to 1252 healthy adults who were monitored for 5 days after each dose.
This one didn't even have a control group and they still only watched them for 5 days.
Lets see what HHS has to say about the safety in their OFFICIAL response to Icandecide's questions
https://icandecide.org/hhs/HHS-Response.pdf
>(2) Please list and provide the safety data relied upon when recommending babies
receive the Hepatitis B vaccine on the first day of life?
>Data relied upon in licensing infant use of hepatitis B vaccines is summarized in the
respective package inserts.
So the data they rely on is giving a vaccine, watching them for 5 days and calling it safe? That's a joke of safety.

No wonder vaxxers are scared of having a debate, they have no science
Vaccines are anti-science

>> No.10504764
File: 13 KB, 469x405, hep.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10504747
well all adverse acute reaction will happen in that amount of time by definition...how long would you like that follow up? how would you determine if consequences are etiologically linked to vaccine?

>> No.10505267

Hey medbros, pharmguy here with some pearls for you. Would appreciate your advice for us in return:

-if the pharmacy calls asking a dumb clarification question for a prescription, its not usually us being morons it's because insurance companies literally come audit us and will take their money back for rxs filled that were not written to their standard. So don't get mad at us we just want to fucking fill it to
-unless a patient is at risk for ulcers or has an infection or something nasty, PPIs are the devil. Awful meds with a bad side effect profile. Please recommend H2RAs instead where appropriate and get people off of PPIs when possible
-same goes for fluoroquinolones
-antibiotic guidelines really mean it when they say antibiotics aren't necessary a lot of the time e.g. post-I&D for mild/moderate SSTIs. Pls dont prescribe "just in case" if that flies in the face of the guidelines and there's no other reason
-chlorthalidone and indapamide are better than HCTZ in pretty much every way. HCTZ is literally marketing: the drug. Steer away from prescribing it over the alternatives if possible

>> No.10505289

>>10505267
Shut up and give me my dick pills, boy

>> No.10505295

>>10504480
I'm doing lpn-equivalent nursing studying outside the US. My only advice so far is to not be a brainlet and do some extra study as extra understanding of body systems, disorders and meds helps, be very careful on paperwork like med charts and case notes, and don't get complacent yourself or let complacency from others continue. I hope youre good with people too.

>> No.10505302

>>10504702
But it is immoral to make people not drink. No sense of ethics allows depriving them of fun!

>> No.10505307

>>10504540
Only reminder we need is that Reddit obsessively loves vaccines. That should be enough to make anyone against them.

>> No.10505346
File: 18 KB, 369x370, b3459b5b539bc8005bc436df9005eb8d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Remember, pharma is the largest lobby in all of america
https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s
>Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of Americ: $364,374,550
And nobody is skeptical on the safety behind these people?
>WHY WOULD VACCINES BE BAD FOR US, WHAT DO THEY GAIN?
How about if they cause health issues in children in vaccines, they have a billion other products ready for you to buy. Oh look, 2 birds 1 stone.
They have all the incentives in the world to poison your children, hell, they will do it for 1/2 a penny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pjX6jeKnzQ
These guys filed a lawsuit against vaccine manufacturers, the court ordered documents released and they found that the pharmaceutical industry actually calculated how much they would profit off of each ingredient used: the cheaper less safe one, or the slightly more expensive safer ingredient.

When they calculated it out, they found that after accounting for lawsuits from all the injuries the cheaper ingredient caused, they would still earn $0.005 more per dose. They calculated your child's life as being worth less than a penny. They had the choice to use a safer ingredient and they opted out.

YOUR CHILD'S LIFE IS WORTH LESS THAN HALF A PENNY TO THE PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY.

>> No.10505364

>>10503611
noob here. What's the criteria for giving heparin vs warfarin?

>> No.10505367

>>10504364
I thought exercise helped with congestion since adrenaline stimulates bronchodilation.

>> No.10505375

>>10504675
>we are seeing the sickest generation of people to ever exist.
citation needed
when's the last time you saw a baby die of meningitis, TB, tetanus or diphteria?

>> No.10505381

>>10505346
Joke's on you, my child's life is worthless.

>> No.10505386

>>10505267
>-unless a patient is at risk for ulcers or has an infection or something nasty, PPIs are the devil. Awful meds with a bad side effect profile. Please recommend H2RAs instead where appropriate and get people off of PPIs when possible
I just learned today that its common to put patients that are going to be hospitalized for a while (stroke patients for example) on PPI's. In that case is using a H2RA better?
>chlorthalidone and indapamide are better than HCTZ in pretty much every way.
What about furosemide? I never understood which type of diuretic to use in which case.

>> No.10505399
File: 305 KB, 1124x688, Picture2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505375
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876285910002500
Dont have the raw stats on me this second for a direct comparison but 54% or even 43% if you take out obesity (and pretend like neurological issues play no role with vaccines, even though we've paid out $4billion which included hundreds of cases of brain damage).

Look at the U.S stats, 54% chronic illness.
1 in 6 learning disabilities
1 in 42 with autism.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/health/autism-prevalence-study/index.html
Or 1 in 59 if we go by their old numbers.
https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html

Where in history have we ever heard of these neurological and chronic illnesses?
Don't give me the "We just didn't see it" because it is still increasing, we have teachers saying its getting worse, we have doctors saying it's getting worse, we have psychiatrists saying it's getting worse, we have people saying they are seeing more and more people with autism and learning disabilities on a severe side of the spectrum, not just big bang guys who are quirky.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/10214
Autism costs us nearly $1trillion dollars, costing us more than cancer AND diabetes!
If it really was just weird quirky guys getting labelled as autistic, they wouldn't be costing us this much, they would just get an extra hour on tests at best and live their lives like normal.
Autism is rising, chronic illness is rising, immune disorders are rising, learning disabilities are rising.
You are delusional or live under a rock if you cannot see it. It may not be solely vaccines, but how about we actually study them before saying it can't be them.

>> No.10505410

>>10505399
>Dont have the raw stats on me this second for a direct comparison
Okay so you admit you are making a baseless claim when you say "we're the sickest we've ever been"
>Don't give me the "We just didn't see it"
we literally didn't. There are various account throughout history of autistic people even before the illness was named in the early 1900's.
>we have x saying its getting worse
I couldn't care less about anecdotal evidence. Either show me proof that we are "the sickest generation evah!" or get the fuck out faggot

>> No.10505430

>>10505410
The increasing Autism rates are simply due to better means of diagnosis; unless you have evidence to rebuttal this claim. That'd be interesting.

>> No.10505442

>>10505430
>The increasing Autism rates are simply due to better means of diagnosis
I partially agree because I also think there are many misdiagnoses (like with ADHD) plus retards like that one conspiracy theorist think autism is an epidemic because there has been increased awareness of the condition in the past 10 years.

>> No.10505443
File: 604 KB, 1440x2369, 1534909658442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505410
Here you go faggot since it's so hard for you to accept that burgers are almost on the same level of sickness as third world african children.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5876976/
>Chronic diseases—including, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, heart disease, respiratory diseases, arthritis, obesity, and oral diseases—can lead to hospitalization, long-term disability, reduced quality of life, and death [6,7]. In fact, persistent conditions are the nation’s leading cause of death and disability [6].
https://www.fightchronicdisease.org/sites/default/files/docs/GrowingCrisisofChronicDiseaseintheUSfactsheet_81009.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1497638/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19124856

It's not a big secret.
Lifespan is also decreasing
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-life-expectancy-declines-again-a-dismal-trend-not-seen-since-world-war-i/2018/11/28/ae58bc8c-f28c-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fe01f250234b
https://www.popsci.com/life-expectancy-declining

The leading causes of death are rising and our lifespan is decreasing. There are many factors involved, but we know that we are seeing sicker and sicker people and it's evident with us not living as long.

>> No.10505453

>>10505443
>Here you go faggot since it's so hard for you to accept that burgers are almost on the same level of sickness as third world african children.
You never said anything about african children. You said "we are the sickest generation of people to EVER EXIST". Show me comparisons between previous generations of americans and give me raw data (life expectancy, overall mortality, morbility, mortality rates of common diseases etc) of then vs now.

>> No.10505465
File: 64 KB, 640x818, 90% drop in mortality happened pre vaccines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505453
I did, read
>>10505443
Plenty of studies are showing rising rates of chronic illness and a now decreasing lifespan.

It's difficult to compare our lifespan to 50 years ago due to cleaner water, access to emergency care, knowledge of sanitization/hygiene, less crowding, etc.
It's the same reason we can't compare the lifespan to a child in america to one in africa, they live VERY different lives.
We can however see our health decaying in the current years which I posted in my previous post which you neglected to even read since you are incapable of such apparently.

>> No.10505475
File: 257 KB, 604x613, 1504643493521.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I tell the difference between lymphoma and mono?

>> No.10505482

>>10505465
Nope you didn't. You showed me "trends". Are you going to argue life expectancy and overall mortality are lower right now than in 1920?
>It's difficult to compare our lifespan to 50 years ago due to cleaner water, access to emergency care, knowledge of sanitization/hygiene, less crowding, etc.
So now you're saying we AREN'T the sickest generation to ever exist? fucking retard

>> No.10505488

>>10505475
mono doesn't cause weight loss and should resolve itself in a week or two. Lymphoma symptoms persist much longer

>> No.10505495

>>10505475
>>10505488
hard mode: my immunosuppressant medications both cause lymphoma and make it harder to fight off infections like mono

>> No.10505499

>>10505482
>overall mortality are lower
meant to say life expectancy lower and overall mortality higher

>> No.10505500

>>10505482
We are sicker than back then. However they were dying for different reasons. We are alive but sicker. And we are going to continue getting sicker.
You are actually retarded. Don't worry though, we'll have children being born with 30 different chronic illnesses to live by the age of 75 and requiring 50 different pills to live. I see no issues with that.

>> No.10505508

>>10505500
>we are sicker than back then
Show me overall morbidity now vs 60 years back. Don't show me trends, don't show me its "increasing". Show me the overall morbidity numbers

>> No.10505516

>>10505508
You're asking for death rates, not illness.
We can keep people on life support for years longer than we could 50+ years ago when they would be dead, doesn't mean they aren't sick.

We are seeing sicker and sicker generations, we live unhealthy lives. You are retarded if you do not understand sick doesn't mean death.
>OH NO, I GOT MEASLES, I'M NOW INSTANTLY DEAD.

>> No.10505524

>>10505516
I said morbidity. Morbidity = sickness. I'm sorry you're so ignorant about things you think you know about that you don't even know the meaning of simple words.

>> No.10505536
File: 305 KB, 1470x748, DTP_5-10x_mortality.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505524
>Are you going to argue life expectancy and overall mortality are lower right now than in 1920?
You are retarded, this is what you are arguing.
Of course we live longer than back then. We can already see the rising trends. If you don't want to accept it, you can go fuck yourself you ignorant fuck.

We are sicker, our life expectancy increased every year but now it's decreasing, our chronic illness is increasing and it's quite obvious.
Point is, you're retarded and our health is decaying whether you want to realize it or not is unimportant.

>> No.10505549

>>10505536
After asking for life expectancy (and you moving the goalpoast) I posted >>10505508 to which you continued to reply that I asked for death rates. You still haven't posted morbidity rates of then vs now. Back to your containment board you scientifically illiterate retard fuck.

>> No.10505555

I want to be an opthamologist surgeon

>> No.10505684

what's the substantive differences between FP and IM?

>> No.10505691
File: 145 KB, 915x765, idiotfuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505536
lmaoing @ ur pic

>> No.10505725
File: 53 KB, 741x468, 1523180421425.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505691
And it's still the best vaccinated vs unvaccinated study we have.
In fact, it's better than any vaccine study ever conducted by the CDC.
Try showing me a single study on a vaccine insert that uses a placebo, or looks at long-term health, or looks at cumulative health with other vaccines.
When you finally realize that vaccines have never gone through these studies, you'll know that vaccines are completely unsafe.
You'll also realize why pro-vaxxers refuse to even have a public discussion with a skeptic of any caliber.
It's because VACCINES ARE ANTI-SCIENCE.

>> No.10505727

>>10505725
>tfw the real conspiracy was that they snuck in the scarlet fever vaccine but couldn't tell anyone because the ingredients are so horrible

>> No.10505753

>>10505725
>death rate is the same as incidence
fucking lmao. keep posting those pics thinking you know shit about epidemiology. Also its cute how you completely dodged >>10505549
keep being a paranoid tinfoil retard

>> No.10505761

>>10505753
What point are you trying to make? His graph is pointing out that the diseases were becoming far less common and/or far less deadly without vaccines. Do you disagree?

>> No.10505775
File: 257 KB, 500x500, 14975126470219.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505295
>My only advice so far is to not be a brainlet

How do I avoid being a brainlet nurse?

>> No.10505778

>>10505775
Don't waste your time on Cambodian comic strip discussion boards.

>> No.10505780
File: 463 KB, 637x653, 1549739697338.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505778
I'll go get out of my house, join some hobby clubs, find some friends, and a gf while I'm at it.

>> No.10505853

>>10505684
FP has his own patients, IM doesn't.
IM has more knowledge than a FP (on internal organs ofc)
FP makes more money
IM is exhausting, but gets more satisfaction
FP is the jack of all trades in medicine

>> No.10505885

Question, how come nutrition is so under played in medicine in general when we know for a fact that vitamins and nutrients are one of the biggest health concerns of our time?
We need vitamins, we need minerals, so why are they not more stressed in relation to our health since we know vitamin deficiencies are a huge part of why people develop most health issues.

>> No.10505898

>>10505885
Can't talk about other countries but in Romania we have a speciality named Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolic diseases. I know that US integrated it into endocrinology. So in this speciality you can see patients that are diabetic or have metabolic diseases or basically act as a nutritionist for obese people, athletes, even casuals that want to change their lifestyle and eat healthier. Nutrition is important but the main target of medicine is to cure diseases and help people with their sufferings.

>> No.10505929

>>10504377
What a badass.
>>10504540
FUCK OFF SAMEFAG.
>>10505367
Yes, but the secretions can go both ways when your bronchi are dilated. You don't want that shit deeper, you know. I said it in this sense.
>>10505555
The quads say you will be, anon.
>>10505885
>how come nutrition is so under played in medicine in general
Who said it is? A lot of conditions have appropriate diets for them. Also vitamin defficiency isn't as common as you think. Maybe only vit.D is the most common one.

AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T FEED THE ANTIVAX TROLL THAT INVADES EVERY SINGLE /MED/ THREAD. I THINK THIS DISCLAIMER SHOULD BE IN THE BEGINING OF EVERY THREAD.

>> No.10505935

>>10505929
The funny thing is, it's not one person but keep believing that if you want. There is a reason that people are being skeptical of vaccines.

>> No.10505952

Just came home from childcare class. We got to hold abandoned babies, it was amazing. There was this baby in the NICU, was born at 25 weeks, it was a bit bigger than my fist, prof told us the baby will most likely make it, lungs are fine, kidneys work okay but is prone to infections since the baby didn't develop a spleen so the liver is the main immunity organ. Seen other sick babies too, two with hydrocephalus and one persistent little fella that entered cardiac twice, came back, pneumothorax, surgery and now is perfectly healthy but still need to be monitored. Great experience, finally med school has more variety.

>>10505929
>I THINK THIS DISCLAIMER SHOULD BE IN THE BEGINING OF EVERY THREAD.

Will do, anon.

>> No.10505964

>>10505885
Eh, people eating normal food get almost everything. Only things you’d want to supplement are D up in the north and folate for women planning to get pregnant. Iodine might become problem if people keep moving to using rock salts etc. instead of normal (iodinized) salt.

I think that the role of nutrition is almost overemphasized here (Northern Europe).

>> No.10505999

>>10505267
easy to blabber guidelines when you dont have an annoying granny at your ass all the day

>> No.10506004

>>10505885
They are one of the biggest memed health concerns.
Clinically relevant lacks of vitamins are relatively rare now and do not justify any sort of mass screening or prescription. All studies about the benefit of extra vitamins have been inconsistent and contradictory. I think the last trend was vit D? Nothing useful was proven, a bit of talk about what's to be considered real carence and what lower range of normality but that's it.

>> No.10506006

>>10506004
Ah yes, vitamins are so irrelevant that just for a joke we gave a Nobel prize in medicine to the guy who discovered them and then called them an essential to life.

Ensuring that we are receiving adequate levels of something we call an "essential to life" and is taught in kindergarten. It's not that we need extra, it's that we are not getting as much as we need due to soil erosion and other factors from poor agriculture practices.

>> No.10506007

>>10506006
Learn to read, then come back.

>> No.10506048

Lads, what does your surgery prof/surgeon in general is listening to in the OR?

I've been trough 3 surgical specialities and it went like this.

Urology - the fucker that squeezed my balls had a pretty good taste and went for classical music

Ortho - Our profs were changing a lot, mostly shitty old music. (AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Metallica, had one guy that surprised me with GODSPEED!)

General surgery - literally despacito tier music. I wanted to kms during surgeries, the resident we observed made plenty of mistakes during surgery too. Shitty music, shitty surgeon.

>> No.10506060

>>10506048
No music at all during surgeries but our justice medicine prof used to blast pink floyd at full volume at the end of every lecture

>> No.10506067

>>10506060
>no music at all during surgeries
Wtf? Boring surgeons I assume. Probably they didn't put any music to teach you stuff? Ours were listening to music at low volume, like it would be for ambient and still teach us some shit. But after the 3rd appendectomy and they were still explaining the same shit, I'd honestly go for despacito.

>> No.10506071

>>10506048
Neuro - silence
Ortho - hard rock, mötorhead etc.
Plastic - jazz
Gen. - just the radio

>> No.10506084

>>10506071
I swear to god orthos are jocks.

>> No.10506091

>>10505999
I get that but I've been prescribed antibiotics inappropriately without ever asking for them or being a pain in the ass.

>> No.10506098

>>10506091
>prescribed antibiotics without ever asking for them
>inappropriately

You know that the doctor won't prescribe you what you ask for, right? It's his decision as a medical professional and his judgement after a long training in med school and residency.

>> No.10506100

>>10505386
In the case you mentioned PPIs are appropriate because you are trying to prevent stress ulcers. For any ulcers or ulcer prevention they're first line. The problem is when granny gets discharged from the ICU and she stays on the PPI indefinitely because no one told her to stop or because she thinks it "helps her stomach."

>> No.10506104

>>10505386
Furosemide is a loop diuretic so it's used for different purposes and is a good drug. I'm talking more about first line HTN drugs so the thiazide diuretics - HCTZ shouldn't be preferred in that case.

>> No.10506109

>>10506098
What? I didn't ask for anything, the doctor prescribed them. I said sure whatever, went home, looked up the guidelines to check and sure enough it was completely unnecessary.
When we all die of super resistant bacteria shit like that won't have helped.

>> No.10506118

>>10506100
Theres also rebound involved in the practice

>> No.10506121
File: 98 KB, 459x350, 89 - tcdoqpq.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10506109
What did you have and what did the doctor give you? Just to make sure...

>> No.10506131

What average-as-fuck students choose to specialize? GP? Psychiatry? Everything interesting and with good lifestyle/high salary is flooded with 5.0 gpa nerds and overachievers. What is left that isnt total shit tier/slugfest to get into?

>> No.10506140

>>10506131
Suckers here go to some 3rd world country, usually where they came from. Otherwise anything that the numbers allow. Looking at your local stats is probably more useful than asking a bunch of retards from all other the world with different rules everywhere.

>> No.10506146

>>10506131
Depends what is competitive in your country and what isn't. I personally want to go into family medicine which I don't think it's competitive anywhere in this world, so I don't have any problems getting into it. I'm an average-above average student, not that hardworking either. I think emergency, psych, family, internal should be the one of those non-competitive fields.

>> No.10506175

>>10506140
>Looking at your local stats is probably more useful than asking a bunch of retards from all other the world with different rules everywhere.

Was curious how's the situation elsewhere but reading >>10506146 it seems that is similar everywhere. Would add infectology maybe to the list.

>> No.10506198

>>10506067
Who cares for music during surgery? Best and most interesting professor i ever had was in surgery desu, he explained every concept in very interesting ways during surgeries having music on would make things harder to understand for us.

>> No.10506204

>>10506121
Mild paronychia that she drained

>> No.10506208

Im from shitty university of shitty third worls country, we had only one week of ER medicine course and professor didnt even care about us so i know nothing about this field, please can anyone help me how can i start learning it, any good books on ER or ICU care?

>> No.10506210

>>10506175
Probably, yes. I think the forgotten specialties are stuff like nefro, infective (dunno why, it seems pretty interesting), GI, family doc, ortho, uro, immuno, reuma, psyc.
Ped, cards, ORL, neuro are flooded and competitive.
>>10506204
Defensive medicine is also a thing. Especially with young patients one might get overly careful.

>> No.10506219

>>10506208
I'm from a first world country and all my hospital exp was basically like that. You don't learn pratical shit.
I liked Oxford handbook of acute medicine, there's a lot of useful stuff there, cheap, can take it anywhere. But especially for drug therapy you might have to check and compare with your local guidelines to be safe. Many things were different in my case (nothing substantial, but sometimes step 1 and 2 were inverted, not trascurable).

>> No.10506240

is it possible to live without medications and/or therapy? shit is ruining my life but stuff costs money

>> No.10506273

>>10506198
>Who cares for music during surgery?
Me, since I find surgery to be boring. I mean, not that boring but standing for so long, without any interaction (from the student's perspective) is annoying. My profs explained stuff to us too, but most of them were arrogant pricks. Our best prof (so far) was in internal medicine rotations.

>>10506204
You definitely need abx for that, my friend. Your doctor was cautious that the infection won't return. What abx did she prescribe? Just curious. Hope you're doing well.

>>10506208
I'm from shitty thirld world Romania, our ED classes were one of the best, multiple rotations, nights spent in the ER, very interactive. The prof recommended us to read Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine. It's for residents but the exam was based more on the book than the lectures.

>>10506240
Depends on your condition.

>> No.10506280

>>10506210
>>10506273

She prescribed Keflex but the one well done clinical trial I found showed no improvement with antibiotics and the same cure rate for placebo after I&D. Im on my phone or Id find and post it to see if you agree.

>> No.10506297

>>10506280
But keflex or bactrim are the abx you should get for paronychia, she prescribed exactly the good stuff. Show me the research paper, I'll gladly read it, anon.

>> No.10506313

>>10506273
>depends on your cond.
GAD

>> No.10506335

>>10506313
I think you came here earlier about your psych that's not giving you meds. Now you want to live without them? It's pretty hard, GAD has multiple triggers for the panic attacks. I told you to speak with your psych and get those meds. Seriously, they're a godsend for someone with GAD. I don't think there is a way to get rid of it, you can only keep it under control. I have GAD too, as I stated in one of my replies, was on Paroxetine for 4 months then had to lower the dose. Lost my sex drive, so my psych gave me Trazodone which improved my QoL very much. Now I'm on half a pill of Paroxetine and 1/3 of Trazodone and I'm back to normal. (The way I felt before GAD)

>> No.10506364

>>10506335
dont worry its the last time ill ask. thx anon, im just skeptical about meds since ive never needed them

>> No.10506378

>>10506364
Don't have to be sceptical. I wasn't on meds either when I first started. It's your choice in the end, but to improve your QoL, you should take them and see how it is. Best of luck, anon!

>> No.10506449

>>10506335
like just stop panicking, man

>> No.10506477

>>10505761
>His graph is pointing out that the diseases were becoming far less common
Another idiot. Graph only shows mortality, not prevalence. Polio also wasn't deadly but if you got it you still had a chance of not being able to walk properly or needing an iron lung.

>> No.10506489

>>10506006
>Ensuring that we are receiving adequate levels of something we call an "essential to life" and is taught in kindergarten
Damn imagine if there were plants that you could eat that had loads of these things that are essential to life and that you could get those plants in literally every single supermarket for a reasonable price. Wouldn't that be just crazy?
>it's that we are not getting as much as we need due to soil erosion and other factors from poor agriculture practices.
show me a single study that demonstrates serious vitamin deficiencies in people with a "normal" diet (i.e people that eat fruits and vegetables)

>> No.10506496

>>10506273
>>10506208
In my shitty third world country they're making us read the ATLS. How good is that?

>> No.10506514
File: 166 KB, 1920x1126, dogbless.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why are americans like this

>> No.10506530

>>10506496
Not bad for basics. If you want to go more in depth and learn EM for your own, go with Tintinalli.

It doesn't matter where you do medschool or where you practice it, desu. Hospitals in eastern Europe are a joke (In the city I live in, only one hospital is in good condition, the other 3 are just complete shit, just like Romania) but if you have the money or parents that have their private practice, it's pretty good because medicine is practiced the same way everywhere around the world. It's true that US has some new meds that are very expensive for us, but we use them rarely. It's also true they're more advanced in technology, but we have CAT scans/MRI/Laparoscopes/robotic surgery machines too, but only a few compared to them. The only thing I hate about this country regarding the medical aspect, is that we only have 1 (ONE!) ward with 20 beds for patients that suffered burn injuries. That's fucking unacceptable.

>> No.10506561

>>10506530
>burn injuries
That's a topic that always interested me, but basically ignored in the classes and practice. I think there are not many centers about it because it takes very specialized support to be effective (inclunding long term estetic) that simply isn't feasible in most structures. I think there are only a handful of beds for them in my hospital, the big center is in another region and probably has the amount of beds you described. Luckily enough severe burnings (that don't die before 24h) are not that common.
Probably like with gun injuries, surgeons in USA have to work non stop on those during weekends, while here it's a relatively uncommon situation. That's what the prof said, at least.

>> No.10506573

>>10506561
The good thing is that we don't see many gunshot wounds or stabbings. Usually car crash victims and cardiac arrests are the worst ones.

I agree that the patients need very specialized support for burn injuries, we only have 20 beds, but a few years ago, in Bucharest (not from there) a fire started in a Club where a rock concert was, many people died because of it, most of them died in the ER with severe burns. (Usually respiratory tract burn which is kind of lethal, or multiple burns with grade 3-4 which is also kind of lethal because you're basically unable to stabilize them hemodynamically when you got 20-30 more patients like that). We do have a lot of plastic surgeons, but most of them either become expats and make a shit ton of money in Italy, France, UK, US or they open their private practice and only do boob jobs or liftings which makes me consider plastic surgeons as physicians that are in it for the money.

>> No.10506582

>>10506561
lol just yesterday we say a patient that was shot 4 times (1 in the head) and he was in tip top shape. You wouldn't even notice he got shot in the head if it wasn't for the csf drain he had installed lmao

>> No.10506586

>>10506449
Kek. Easy to say, hard to do. My friends were like this too and had no idea how hard it is to stay trough a lecture when you have so many people around you (I usually take the closest seat to the door, I'm just more comfortable that way) and a panic attack triggers out of nowhere.

>> No.10506598

>>10506586
I know, was only baiting. It's still hard to understand those conditions for someone that doesn't has them. I mean, i am in discomfort in a lot of situations, but i can't imagine an unprovocked explosion. Maybe a shut down yes, but the couple i've seen happening literally run away from the class screaming.
Are there specific triggers?

>> No.10506637

>>10506514
They're fat.

>> No.10506641

>>10506598
If it's GAD there are multiple triggers. In my case, staying in class with a lot of people is a trigger, staying with a patient in a room with no windows open is a trigger, sometimes going for a walk with my fiancée and being outside of the apartment knowing that there's nobody at home, it's another trigger. If you have only one trigger it's usually due to a phobia. The main ones for me are claustrophobia and agoraphobia.

I've also ran out of classes numerous times because I was feeling that I will crash. Example: Was at cardiology lecture, seated near the door, Prof talks about the correlation of dyspnoea and cardiovascular diseases and told us these exact words: "Dyspnoea, is a term that comes from ancient Greek which means that the patient feels his soul coming out of his body." After those words I felt tremor in my legs, headaches, nausea, extreme anxiety and just had to run out and go home. When I arrived home I had a panic attack in the bathroom and fainted. Luckily, my fiancée got home early and took care of me. Now that I'm on meds,it's much much better.

>> No.10506658

>>10505885
Nutrition is a big player in medicine when it relates to diseases. However, general nutrition is not and should not be any physicians area of expertise, as we do not know enough about diet and it's effect on the body yet. A physician should know his countries nutritional guidelines and pass them on to his patients if they ask. Of course it doesn't help that these are changed all the time

>> No.10506667

>>10506641
God, I know that you aren't doing it on purpose but damn. The "man up" reply is really hard to hold back.
>The main ones for me are claustrophobia and agoraphobia
So where do you feel ok? Small places but with openings that can't be closed? Maybe a japanese paper house would help, knowing you can just land through a wall if you were to panic.

>> No.10506669

>>10506514
Everything costs more, the result of privatized healthcare
But their hospitals are also the best; latest gadgets, good doctors that live for their profession, little to no wait etc.

>> No.10506683

>>10506667
I feel comfortable everywhere now that I take my meds. But before going to see my psych I would only feel comfortable at home only when my fiancée was home. When I was alone, I would open almost all the windows in the house, kek.

Believe me that I tried to hold it in, so yeah, I agree with the man up thing. I tried to fight it and stay there, it's basically the "Fight or flight" mechanism that triggers and I would usually choose "Flight" so I can be away from the trigger.

>> No.10506689
File: 39 KB, 1029x521, quality.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10506669
Eh, not too sure about that. Agreed on waiting time I guess.

>> No.10506710

>>10506683
lucky you, without meds im still thinking that everyone is out to get me. people's stare sometimes makes me dizzy and want to pass out in public lol

>> No.10506724

>>10506710
That's a sign of agoraphobia, except you need to be in a crowd or something. When I first went to see my psych, I was extremely nervous and she immediately prescribed me Paroxetine, no therapy. She asked me if I want to start right away on meds or do a couple of therapy sessions but nah, my quality of life was shit already. Plus my fiancée has the same thing but it's much more manageable than mine. If I don't take my meds for a day, I become dizzy and nauseous, reminds me of my cigarette withdrawal. I'll probably have to live the rest of my life with them, but it's better than having to live it the way it was without meds. Best of luck to you, anon.

>> No.10506799

Kek, I'm at my mom's private practice. Patient came in because her "diabetes hurt". She doesn't even have diabetes, just ate a ton of garlic and vomited white, foamy liquid (clearly her gall bladder is shit) but I went outside to laugh. I feel bad now for laughing at her.

>> No.10506817

>>10506297
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=27117023

>> No.10506827

>>10506817
Interesting. I had no idea about this, I'll keep it in mind, thanks for sharing. Maybe your doctor wasn't up to date with the research and went for the standard abx but I wouldn't consider it a physician's mistake or over prescribing, it's just how they were taught. Anyways, thanks again for sharing, anon!

>> No.10506828

>>10506827
No problem please let me know if you find otherwise!

>> No.10506844

>>10506828
Nah, I won't search for an article, this one is pretty new (2016), I doubt that I will find something that will prove otherwise.

>> No.10506887
File: 109 KB, 205x260, 1552198171602.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would lymphoma show up on a CBC?

>> No.10506901

>>10506887
As far as I know, your VSH and CRP should be high but otherwise no. Get a CAT scan or MRI to be sure. Do you have fever?

>> No.10506905

>>10506887
A terminal lymphoma might have a leucemic phase, but i wouldn't count on that for a diagnosis.

>> No.10506985 [DELETED] 

>>10506901
I have had low grade one intermittently for the last three months, but I can't tell if it's from being being immune suppressed (prednisone+methotrexate+humira). Also I have been pretty tired, sweating at night. I started getting chills on Friday and went to the doctor, but the flu test was negative and they said my cervical lymph nodes were a bit swollen. No weight loss though.

>> No.10506989

>>10506901
I have had low grade fever intermittently for the last three months, but I can't tell if it's from being immune suppressed (I'm on prednisone+methotrexate+humira). Also I have been pretty tired and recently started sweating at night. I started getting chills on Thursday and went to the doctor, but the flu test was negative and they said my cervical lymph nodes were a bit swollen. No weight loss though. Also I have been bleeding really easily.

>> No.10507016

>>10506989
My father died of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2009. (Rest in peace my man, best bedside manner I've ever witnessed) He had intermittent fevers, basically fluctuating from being high in the morning and low at night and in terminal phase vice versa, but he detected it a bit too late, the swollen nodes were behind his ribs and the tumour already invaded his lung. I said VSH and CRP because he had those two a bit elevated in the beginning and trough the roof in the end. Cervical lymph nodes could mean a lot of things, for example mononucleosis. I have the feeling you're actually fine, anon, and now you're panicked because you googled your symptoms (am I right?). If you want to get that weight off your shoulders, do an MRI or CAT scan as I suggested. I did one recently because my right lung started to hurt but it's just some emphysema bubbles because I smoked for 9 years, and quit 2 years ago (in 2nd year after histology, I promised myself I'd quit), are you a smoker?

>> No.10507021

>>10506989
You take those for some autoimmune disease? Paired with any upper airways virus, they might explain simptoms much better than lymphoma. Especially if you just started them.

>> No.10507022

>>10507016
I'm just concerned because my prescribing doctor warned me that there is a very high risk of getting lymphoma from the combination therapy that I'm on. I had to make the call that I would rather be dead than blind, and I had to sign a bunch of liability waivers.

>> No.10507036

>>10507021
I have uveitis. I've been on prednisone for 2 years, methotrexate for 1 year, and humira for about 8 months. I'm really hoping it's an infection, but I'm not sure how to tell.

>> No.10507044

>>10507036
If your pharingeal mucosa is inflammed it's most likely an infection. Multiple small nodes also point in that direction. HL presents itself with a single mass. NHLs that instead present as diffuse nodal illness would also be palpable at the axilla and groin.
I know it's not really a consolation, but statistically speaking it's far far more likely that you just are experiencing a paucisymptomatic cold.

>> No.10507304

realistically, no bullshit one way or the other, what are the chances of a 35 year old with a 3.0 average bachelor's in chemistry from 9 years ago can go to med school and be accepted?

>> No.10507326

>>10499367
If I had access to to compatible kidneys would I be able to implant them and effectively double the blood cleaning power of my body.

NOTE IM not asking if it is and advisable at the cool or the type of surgery the doctors would actually choose to perform I am just asking if it is physically possible?

>> No.10507335

>>10507304
0%
Nobody wants old doctors. If you're over 25 do not bother, because you aren't worth training unless you plan to practice for at least 30 years. They wouldn't even let you become a cop because you're a waste of city resources.

3.0 is pathetically low.

>> No.10507359

>>10507326
It is possible to transplant 2 more kidneys, but I'm not sure if it would double the filtering of the blood. You'd need two more ureters for the other pair of kidneys to be transplated, tho.

>> No.10507412

>>10507304
In EU, or at least in part of it, no one would give a shit. Former scores are pointless, if you pass the test you are in. You might consider this if you really want it.

>> No.10507418

>>10507412
What is the European equivalent of the MCAT?

>> No.10507429

>>10507418
In Italy it's multi choice test. 40 questions for general culture, 40 for scientific knowledge. When i did it, it was 20 biology, 10 math and 10 phisics i think. Now they added a little bonus if you got full marks from highschool but really irrelevant, like one point.
What's the point of counting your old scores anyway? If you sucked, you won't pass the test by dumb luck.

>> No.10507437

>>10507418
Not him but for Romania MCAT = Medschool admission exam.

60 biology multiple choice test (mostly anatomy and physiology) , 30 chemistry and 10 physics.

>> No.10507452

Anyone has a link for a pdf on a decent pediatrics book of a recent version?

>> No.10507470

>>10507429
In the US some of the questions aren't even specifically chemistry or biology related, they're just logic exercises

>> No.10507506

>>10507470
Meh, any test would be a meme anyway. An arbitrary one is fine, as many exams later on will all be based on the arbitrary beliefs of the prof. At least you proved you can adapt that much.

>> No.10507823

>>10507359
They would serve as backup and you would excrete some drugs more quickly but as far as the other things (electrolytes, urea, bilirrubin etc) they would pretty much stay the same. It also may give an elevated RBC.

>> No.10507875

>>10506477
>reading is hard

>> No.10508233

>>10506989
Check for tuberculosis of genital tract if youre female, just to be sure

>> No.10508320
File: 146 KB, 750x348, static1.squarespace.com.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505684
>FM vs IM

Look at their off-service residency rotations to understand how the fields are actually quite different

FM's rotations are women's health (OB, GYN) and pediatrics
IM's electives are... all the IM subspecialties e.g. cards, pulm, nephrology, ID, rheum etc

>> No.10508481

>>10507418
A bit late to the party, but in Finland it's: almost 60 multiple choice questions depending on the exam (usually equal amount of bio, psych, chem) and on top of that there's also 5 questions each for bio, chem, psych, with some of the questions being longer and harder while others are kind of easier. You needed around 64% (149 points) of the maximum points for the two easiest med schools to get in last year, but before that it was usually like 57%. Basically you are supposed to be smart enough and realise which questions give the most points and focus on those first and don't waste too much time with the multiple choice questions as they can give you 56 points max (and are legit quite easy, but many people waste too much time on them). The pharma acceptance exams are 20 questions based on material that they give you during the test and 20 questions in chemistry, all are multiple choce questions. In both your matriculation exam grades can help, but if you have studied enogh you won't have a problem getting accepted with only the acceptance exam. Oh and also the exam is same for dental, medical and veterinary school

>> No.10508569

Have a nice Saturday, lads. Finally I have this day and tomorrow to chill since I start my first rotation on pulmonology Monday. What do you lads do when you don't have to study? Pls don't tell me you're reading medical articles for fun because I'll consider you a huge nerd.

>> No.10508633

>>10508569
Theres always to study in medicine bro i feel like if you dont donshit youre stagnating. When i have free time like that i try to remember stuff i might forgot or subjects i missed iut cause of lazyness. You can always remember some shit from anatomy or something. But today im giving myself free time too the week was very stressfull.

>> No.10508684

>>10508633
Nah bro. After my cardiology exam, I really need to chill out and go.out for a drink or watch some movies. If I had to open my Sinelnikov atlas again, I'd fall into depression. We need free time, else we would be mentally exhausted. For example, today I washed my car,shaved, did some productive stuff to keep my mind and body in check, now the last thing I want to do is to read anything medicine related.

>> No.10508688

>>10508684
Still me.

I also caught up with my fiancée, in weekdays we barely see each other , spoke about specialities (she wants psych and if she doesn't get into it will go into peds, apparently), I'd be retarded to not get a place in family medicine, kek. I basically have to fail the residency exam to not get into it.

>> No.10508912

>>10508320
FM FTW

>> No.10508995

>>10508684
I agree, usually i just waste my free time on the net tho, reading comics mostly. Also like to cook and take care of the garden. Many are like that other anon tho and read articles in their free time, but i think thats after you graduate. Surely not the day after a big exam. In those days i often have some mental rebound and involve to 14yo and go play some vintage videogame for a few hours.

>> No.10509037

>>10508995
>video games
The last video game I played was with my dad in 2001 (was 5 years old, basically) and it was Heretic, kek. Now I only play chess, which I don't think it's counted as a video game.

Cooking and gardening are two hobbies that I'd like to try out but 1. I live in an apartment and 2.I mostly eat soba noodles and fried chicken which made me gain a bit of weight.

I don't enjoy reading research that much, except case reports. Most research papers about cancer = memes, about some genes and mutations and stuff = a new language for me and absolutely can't stand it. I also daydream sometimes and imagine myself as a family physician and how it would go, at my own private practice, treating my patients with care and empathy, just being a simple family doctor.

>> No.10509064

Almost finished German med school.

What do you think, what is currently the best country to learn? Which one the best to work?
Evrything goes beside the US, no thanks.

Did some electives in Australia, Japan and some obscure countries. Would go with Switzerland or Germany right now.

>> No.10509077

>>10509064
>currently best countries to learn

I'm the Romanian dude. Here, most of the graduates either go to UK, France or Germany. So, whatever floats your boat, anon.

>> No.10509083

>>10507418
For Germany: Depends.
For all spots to study medicine (11000):

20% for the best grades in so called "Abitur" (German highschool exam with university entrance qualification)
20% for people who waited (up to 7 years).
60% are up to the universities to distribute. Every university uses a different system, about half of them expect you do do a test.

this test has 9 subjects and is more or less an intelligence test with more tasks and stress than a normal one. there you need to belong to the best 10% off all people doing this test to have a realistic chance.

>> No.10509087

>>10509077
ah, nice to hear from you. my parents were from romania and came here, gonna visit Romania again in the summer.

What about you, what is your destination?

>> No.10509094

>>10509087
>What about you, what is your destination?
I want to stay in Romania. I don't know why, maybe I'm masochistic or something but the bright side is that my mom has a private practice where I can work after I finish residency. (I want family medicine, so it's not such a hard speciality) The pay is decent for Romanian standards and the lifestyle is good, especially in the suburban or rural areas (which is where I would like to work)

What about you? What speciality do you want to go in?

>> No.10509112

>>10509094
Fully understand, money is not everything. And I also believe there gonna be better times in Romania, I already thinking about opening a Start up there.

I gonna to Nuclear medicine, maybe also Radiology but not sure if needed and if want to spent another three years.

>> No.10509136

>>10509112
Peculiar choice. Always seemed a dead end specialty to me, what's there to do beside PET and some radiodrugs? You basically wait for new tools and that's it.

>> No.10509162

>>10509136
Well, this is the prejudice I hear a lot, but the better for me, less competition.

The bread and butter is scintigraphy (bone/Heart/thyroid). Gonna be much more cases for heart esp. because of the ageing society.
PET still is not fully established, was to expensive but the use becomes more and more widespread.
And with the PET MR the next gen is already in the pipeline.
So for diagnostics I am pretty convinced there gonna be more work.

And some radiodrugs is a bit an underestimation. Of course, you have the Iodine treatment and gatekeeper nodules.
But treatment becomes more common. PSMA is a big upcoming, the data are pretty good looking, might be an alternative to chemo. Neuroendokrine tumors are also another illness. There is still search going on for more target structures, but our university has 4 new tracer one the market since last year.

I applied for 5 different nuc departments at universities and all oft hem are expanding.

>> No.10509176

>>10509112
Times in Romania will definitely look better if we change the government but /pol/ aside, Nuclear medicine docs are scarce here. Radiology is cool, if you have the money, you can open something nice and make more cash. But honestly, cash doesn't matter that much in medicine, I want satisfaction.

>>10509162
Have you thought about interventional rads?

>> No.10509188

>>10509176
Na, I am thinking about an home for elderly people in Romania. I also have some other ideas. Still could use a GP/ FM, interested?

Yeah, if you do Rads in Germany you gonna also do interventions. iIf i also do Rad to Nuc, for sure.

>> No.10509194

>>10499471
Why not invent a new type of dildo that takes pictures inside of a woman's vagina while she cums. This is important work that has been over looked. The rectum is also an option.

>> No.10509197

>>10509188
>interested?

Too soon to talk about it. I'm only a 4th year med student. If you choose a rural or suburban area , sure. Also, please be in the Banat area of România.

>> No.10509239

God damn...i finished this meme university without knowing there is a 4chan thread/general...and thank the fucking heavens...this wanna be doctor page is making me puke....
>fucking ROMANIA doctors
What a fucking joke

>> No.10509246
File: 12 KB, 250x260, 121 - Sv2KLqK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10509239
Why are you mad?

>fucking ROMANIA doctors
You're not supposed to fuck them, they offer treatment.

>> No.10509249

>>10509239

>> No.10509254

>>10509239
Same situation, but i've seen far worse.

>> No.10509287
File: 157 KB, 420x420, c6e91aa2423289dbaf36b8c6bdfad57b[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10499367
FUCKING PREMEDS GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY ORGO GOT FUCKING DAMN

>> No.10509300

>>10509287
Kekd. Premeds nowadays are crazy about medicine. It's like they can't relax.

>MEDICINE
>OMG, ANATOMY
>MUST SEE MUST SEE

>> No.10509427

>>10509239
>t. undercover nurse

>> No.10509543

>>10509246
He probably doesn't even know there are real docs outside of his "meme univerisity"

Well, Brasov would be one option.

>> No.10509547

>>10509543
The top medical schools in Romania are:
Bucharest
Iasi
Cluj

These three are god tier. I was born and raised in the Banat area, Timisoara more exactly so I attend medschool here. I don't know which are meme unis but I'm certain that mine is at least decent. We have good profs (most of them, hence "decent"), plenty of patient interraction, we don't study from some prof's book that make us buy it to get more money out of us and recommend really good literature. I know we're not US tier regarding medschool, but medicine is practiced the same way, so fuck >>10509239. He's probably some asshurt PA that pretends to be a doctor or something.

>> No.10509987

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2730013

Pretty good case report.

>> No.10510002

2nd year EU medfag here
>pathology/pathophysiology/pharmacology exam in a week
>exam 1 of 2
>studied for 4 weeks
>only now starting to get a basic grip on the first 2
>pharmacology still kicks my ass outside of a few very basic things
What the fuck are my options, outside of drugs and studying 24/7?
My current plan is to just double down on the first two and use the questions from previosu years for pharma.
Did I fuck up with studying or is it normal for this to be so difficult?

>> No.10510028

>>10510002
It's normal to be this difficult. It takes a while until you accommodate to this kind of workload. Make a schedule and study 45 mins with 5 min breaks. Like, study from morning until lunch, then study until 16. After that review your studies and after that rest or go for a jog. I do this every time when the exam session comes and I get pretty good grades.

I think you posted here before, I remember telling you that I had pharma and pathophis in 3rd year, kek. Yep, looks like you have a lot of studying to do. Good luck, man.

>> No.10510031

>>10510002
Nobody can realistical say if it is normal, ask people one year above you.

Pharma was also hard at our university, still don't know how I passed this. Three years later and I still don't think I know enough. But the docs I stayed during my electives feeld the same way if they admit it, so yeah

But otherwise try to learn as much as possible without giving up on breaks and sleep and just take the exam. You will have more then one try anyway.

>> No.10510047

>>10510028
>>10510031
Yeh, posted in the last one and I've barely seen the outside world since then lel.

The patho exams are notorious for being the by far hardest ones at my university so I expected to run into a bit of a wall but there's just the additional worry about doing even worse than I expected.

Plus, all major exams (minus anatomy) up to this point have been multiple choice and this one is gonna be Short Answer and Essay Answer so not knowing how the fuck that is gonna work out with my current method of studying is another worry.

But it's reassuring that I don't have to walk away from this as an expert for everything.

>> No.10510298

>>10509987
Interesting. Never heard of CDS before

>> No.10510378

>>10505853
thank you

>> No.10510718

>>10510378
Anytime

>> No.10510732

>>10505853
how is it that IM gets more satisfaction and is more exhausting? I thought dealing with kids sniffles and shots all day would be more tiring. Also I thought FP was at the absolute bottom of the totem pole for money, surprised to hear that's not the case

>> No.10510770
File: 1.04 MB, 708x900, 56371039_345480249408949_404706466130296832_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10505952
If there's a desease you haven't seen, you're gonna see it in pediatric clinic.
>>10506048
Most ORs don't have music, if they do it's just the radio, because it's from a 20 year old casette player.
>>10506084
Orthos are fucking cavemen.
>>10506208
Emergency Medicine Clinical essentials by James Adams, ATLS 2018, The ICU Book by Marino, Critical care by Dillinger. There are pdfs around the web. BTW ER Medicine is an optional course in my uni.
>>10506514
this reminded me of pic related
>>10508569
Watch a series, go out, play an instrument, play league. Usual stuff.
>>10509094
Kudos for wanting to stay in your country. I want to stay too, but everyone seems to pressure me to leave just because of the bigger pay check.
>>10510002
Yikes. We study those in 3rd and 4th year.

>> No.10510793

>>10509987
Thanks.

And like often, make more pictures is the solution

>> No.10510796

>>10509427
How many nurses have you impregnated?

>> No.10510838

>>10510732
IM is exhausting for a number of reasons, the main one is that you have numerous patients that you have to monitor and are more ill that a FP's average patient. The next big reason is that in IM you have such a huge variety of diseases that are hard to manage (heart, liver, kidney failures, and other chronic diseases that worsen in time). Family physicians (I can talk only about Romania because here, a family physician when finishes residency can only work in private practices, or the country gives him his own office in a rural area.) get patients that have minor issues and chronic diseases you have to manage (if the chronic disease gets out of control, you send them to a specialist. Mom told me that a family physician should always know his/her limits and know his place). Kids are common I family medicine but most of the patients are actually more compliant than you think. I remember this little lad (5-6 years old) that started to cry because he had to leave the office, there are numerous ways to make a pediatric patient like you. FM is not on the bottom of the paychecks here, if you open your private practice or go rural, you'll make a bit more than an infectionist. I'm clearly biased because fm is what I want to do, but compared to IM lifestyle, FM is a walk in the park.
>>10510793
I chose this because of the pics. It seemed interesting and a very well made case.

>> No.10510899

>>10510770
>I want to stay too but everyone seems to pressure me to leave just because of the bigger paycheck

Bro, it's your choice in the end, if you really want to stay in your country and practice medicine, the do that. The problem is that most people see medicine as a money factory which is completely untrue. Yes, there are physicians that are in for the money, but in the end, medicine's aim is to help people, cure diseases and be a part of your patient's life. This should make you happy about being a doctor, not your pay check. We deserve the money we get because we studied hard to get where we are, while other people that didn't do medicine comment about the money without knowing what we've been trough.

>> No.10510924

>>10510770
We have Pandora and bluetooth speakers in our operating theatre

What shitty third world country are you from?

>> No.10510934

>>10510924
>implying speakers are better if over bluetooth connected

I am very happy you are such a good student, because HiFi is not your strong side

>> No.10510938

>>10499558
>Does it really affect the rate of disease occurrence in any significant way if a handful of retards decide not to vaccinate their child?

Measles is making a comeback. Mumps is making a comeback. Go look at the PHE website (UK) or CDC (USA) to get an impression of vaccine-preventable disease outbreaks occuring throughout the so-called developed world right now. Go see how immunisation rates have dropped well below levels necessary for herd immunity. These anti-vax retards with their social media campaigns and propaganda are driving this change.

>> No.10510940

>>10510899
>as a money factory which is completely untrue
>We deserve the money we get because we studied hard

What now?
You know what, money is always an important thing you your work.

>be a part of your patient's life. This should make you happy about being a doctor

It is nice of you to tell me what should make me happy, but my travel, house and car and the nice restaurants visits make me more happy.
Hell, if you look at the life of most people you shouldn't want to be a part of it.
Your task is to help them to live the lifestyle the prefere for themself and prevent them from damage. Not more and not less.

>> No.10510947

>>10499728

In actual fact they are. Take Mumps for example. In the UK everyone is recommended two doses at a specified interval to boost the response rate. Even then it does not give '100%' protection - it's something like 92% (then again it is given as part of MMR and it is known to be the weakest component of the vaccine). Secondly, there are a number of good reasons why someone might not be able to be vaccinated at which they are vulnerable (e.g. neonates, the very young not yet old enough to have their first shot, the immuno-compromised, B-cell disorders, pregnant). If the pathogen can exist and persist in the population above certain levels all these people are still at significant risk. All those who cannot with good reason be vaccinated at that time point are at risk.

>> No.10510972

>>10510940
Money is an important thing but it shouldn't be more important than the way your practice your job.

>travel, house and car and nice restaurants
If that's what makes you happy AS a doctor, then go for it, my man. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do all that stuff, it's what everybody wants. I was talking about happiness at your workplace. Imo, being a part of your patient life is what gives you satisfaction (AS A FAMILY PHYSICIAN, I put caps because FM's usually see their patients for 20-30 years or more). As long as I like what I do, it wouldn't matter for me what car I have or how much I travel, to be honest.

>> No.10510987

>>10510972
>Patient not listening to you
>lying about most basic stuff
>Demanding, yet ungrateful
>basic medicine, not the newest standards and technics

Well, even if you only see one patient like this per day it is to much for me. And if you like this work, great. I know why I don't wanna become a GP

>> No.10510989

>>10510988
>>10510988
>>10510988
>>10510988

Fresh new thread

>> No.10510993

>>10510899
Yes, yes and yes. Why can't common folk understand this.
>>10510924
Bulgaria xDDDDDDDD