[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 101 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (23).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10456794 No.10456794 [Reply] [Original]

I know this board is mostly full of high school students, but do any of you have experience working with graphene and tuts/guides you can share?

>> No.10456797

There was one guy in the last thread that I couldn't reply to in time saying that Graphene CPUs were nonviable due to the large bandgap.

If you are reading this. Can you explain how certain companies were able to create prototype graphene transistors running at the exahertz scale if it has bandgap problems?

>> No.10456809

>>10456797
I hope he replies but to be honest I'm not particularly interested in CPUs per se

>> No.10456819

>>10456809
What are you interested in then? CPU is usually considered the holy grail of graphene.

>> No.10456823

>>10456819
graphene circuitry and batteries

particularly in the area of DIY

>> No.10456967

>>10456823
I've never made a straight up battery before but I DID make a graphene supercapacitor as a graduation project for EE which is actually pretty simple to make.

>Buy graphite oxide
>Mix with water
>Pour solution equally over a big mirror (or other reflective surface as long as it isn't glass)
>Use a Xenon to burn it in and turn it into graphene
Then it depends on what you want to do you could use it to make a supercapacitor, a battery or a mix. Honestly a real battery is probably going to take a lot of time, effort and money (platinum!) and should be a post-grad project.
For a capacitor I would recommend using activated carbon or some wood pulp or something as a separator and then just make a capacitor like normally only with the graphene as a base.

I also did a quick look on google and youtube to find newer more effiicent methods but honestly 80% of the stuff you find isn't even graphene but some form of graphite. Or they use inferior and more complex versions of what I said above.

Batteries is above my pay grade though. What do you want to build?

>> No.10456976

>>10456967
>equally over a big mirror (or other reflective surface as long as it isn't glass)
what does this achieve?
>Use a Xenon to burn it in and turn it into graphene
xenon? are those expensive?

I'm trying to make a graphene PCB, basically. I have almost zero experience doing this kind of thing, so if you could elaborate or be very specific I would appreciate it. This is not my area of expertise.

>> No.10456991

>>10456967
what if I just buy literal graphene, how do I form it into an actual circuit?

>> No.10457071

>>10456976
If you have an old photocamera with flash that can work as well you just need a very bright non-led light source Xenon is what I used since the graphite oxide breaks down under the influence of light and leaves graphene, I'm not a chemist so I don't know specifically why it needs to be a reflective surface I've been told so by a chemistry friend of mine.

>>10456991
Problem with buying graphene is that it's usually in powdered form which is okay depending on what you want to make. The surface technique allows you to be able to have flakes which have different characteristics that can be helpful for a capacitor or battery.

I don't think you'll be able to make consistent long graphene chains to replace wiring in PCBs. Why do you want a graphene PCB? Superconductivity experiments or something?

The battery is actually possible to make but it would require a lot of work. The PCB is most likely not going to happen because creating a single layer graphene chain that is long and in the exact shape of a PCB is almost impossible. And if it isn't perfect the conductivity will most likely be lower than normal copper.

>> No.10459136
File: 28 KB, 400x400, 300k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10456794
>I know this board is mostly full of high school students.
This kills the board. Anyway, what do you need to know? My experience with graphene is from a cleanroom/microfabrication environment, where I've helped others with their graphene-related device research due to its overlap with my own research.

>>10456991
You don't without highly specialized equipment. Vendor-bought graphene, the type you would need for such work, comes on Cu substrates because it is most efficiently, and with the highest quality, grown on Cu. It is limited in size, however. There are methods to transfer it to other substrates, but transferring often results in a significant defects, which drastically deteriorates the electrical quality of the graphene, like >>10457071 said. This is one of the single largest roadblocks that graphene will have to overcome to be commercially viable.

>>10456797
Given enough resources and time, most forward-looking device research can be demonstrated at the lab scale. That doesn't mean that it will operate under conditions it would need to operate under in order to be a feasible replacement for a state-of-the-art, high-volume device, or that it can be manufactured in a commercially viable manner.