[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 53 KB, 655x509, DTYr74nVMAEFzH_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10427442 No.10427442 [Reply] [Original]

I just realized why I'm such a brainlet and had problems with studying.
>attend classes, do assignments, take notes
>study here and there, but not much really
>still fail a class this semester and do OK with the rest
>don't know why I'm so bad with studying
>watch some video today to learn few things we are doing
>guy mentions in video we have to recall things in our head, instead of re-reading them
>BINGO
>tfw realized all I do in my free time, be it walking or driving is listening to music and going through past in my head and other shit I have in my life, instead of school work
>tfw this has been going on for 8 years
>tfw one sentance could save me thousands of hours of thinking about shit stuff as I went through life
>tfw I now have to think about what I'm thinking to re-program myself and throw away mp3 headphones unless I'm at gym
>tfw realized I might develop slight tinnitus from blasting music at least 2 hours per day in my ears and getting anxious about going over past instead of thinking about realistic future

Hold me /sci/

>> No.10427481

>Listening to music in your free time is bad for your studies

Yeah, sure.

The way to succeed in your studies (and in life, in general) is to focus on understanding the theory rather than memorizing it. If your teacher is solving some integrals in class you should be questioning yourself why is he using integrals to solve that problem, instead of taking notes and memorizing recipes like problem type A is solved with a double integral followed by equation 3.

Memorizing a recipe is only useful for that particular problem. If you go to the exam and the exercises are something that hasn't been done in class or a reformulation of problem type A you'll be as lost as a monkey. Understanding what tools are useful for what purposes and why, and how do those tools work, is useful for any problem you might face in the future.

Focus on thinking, understanding and extrapolating (i.e. applying concepts from other courses to your current course). Memorizing is for machines.

>> No.10427487

This might work for the faggot youtuber, but might not work for you. Sitting down for 2-3 hours and going through exercises, and revisiting the subject every 15 days still the best method for me. I would do the Feynman method, but I don't have anyone to teach, and I don't want to pretend I'm teaching someone in fear of developing schizophrenia.
You must find what works out for you.

Now about the tinnitus, you're fucked. I have it too. Soon you'll get used to the constant torment.

>> No.10427520

>>10427487
OP here, I had incredibly bad tinnitus in high school, which was 3 years ago. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus on things for more than 10 sec, never went to doctor, just slept all day almost, was tired all the time, but still exercised reguraly and ate well.
It was due to a lot of unfortunate events in my life that I had no control over at time, so it happened organically.
However, here's the funny part how I got rid of it:
Start working at some company which was were demanding on body for 8 whole hours. Had to man the fuck up and collect the money. Realize what happened in my life, since I had 8 hours to think about it, feel better since I knew it wasn't my fault. My body was so tired and worked so hard for so long that I had no problems falling asleep anymore and I realized what it means to put in the fucking work.

Since then, I never had problems with tinnitus again, I believe it is 100% subconsciousness and waiting for you to tackle it and your problems. I do get slight tinnitus here and there, but it's 5% of what it was back in the day and I pretty much don't even notice it, unless I focus on it. So, that's how I got rid of tinnitus, I shit you not. It was basically an "aha" moment when I looked back on certain events and could put them into words and explain them and why they happened.

>> No.10427527
File: 4 KB, 295x171, 1551460234429.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10427520
dude... Oddly you are me, i myself had sleeping problems which fucked me up all through highschool and I found the way to tackle it was to exhaust myself completely every day mentally and physically first through physical labor.

>> No.10427529

>>10427442
so you found the solution for studying, but what's the solution for building muscle? It affects my studying since I can't get my mind off it, though I still get top grades because my iq is still slightly above 70

>> No.10427538
File: 280 KB, 646x595, 1547995425040.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10427487
>I don't want to pretend I'm teaching someone in fear of developing schizophrenia
S-source?

>> No.10427682

>>10427520
Now that you mentioned, ever since I started training some sport for 3-4 hours a day, the tinnitus isn't bothering this much anymore.
We're gonna make it, anon.

>> No.10427715

>>10427487
>I don't want to pretend I'm teaching someone in fear of developing schizophrenia.
You think smart, it's too late for me I already fucking had it, and it ruined my social intelligence, I became a fucking neckbeard type of a retard

>> No.10427751
File: 15 KB, 251x242, 6dBt2Oj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10427715
YIKES

>> No.10428481

>>10427487
>I would do the Feynman method, but I don't have anyone to teach,
Write "books" instead (of pretending to teach non-existent students).

>> No.10430591

>>10427520
that's a damn good post. thanks

>> No.10430667

>>10427520
It's actually so odd to me that so relatively few 4chan posters seem to have figured this out. It doesn't even take very much research to discover that tinnitus is a phenomenon that arises as a result of interaction between the actual sensory organ(s) and the autonomic nervous system. The fact is that your perception of tinnitus, i.e. spontaneously generated noises arising somewhere in your auditory system (most likely the OHC of the cochlea, a phenomenon present in virtually all humans by the way) is a fear/anxiety response, regardless of whether there is pathology present in any part of the auditory system (though these pathologies are often the triggering event, due to naturally heightened awareness of auditory performance).

Once you are aware of these things, it is quite simple to treat yourself.

https://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/neurophysiological-model-tinnitus-practical-perspective-7036

>> No.10430670

>>10427442
You don't need to actively think about it in your free time. your brain will continue to process the information subconsciously

>> No.10430679

>>10430670
There is a definite benefit to actively recalling information with regards to transferring it to long-term memory (dont ask me to dig up references please). It's often not enough to rely on subconscious processing that you have no control over